Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirLink

You're holding a company up to a set of ideals that were never consistently followed in the "Golden Age" to begin with.

Well 20K was a modern day fairytale of a group trying to chase a maybe imaginary creature to depth of the seas to find out if it is real discovering Atlantis .... if that is not a fairytale thus going into Fantasyland - I don't know what else is.

Matt_Black

Well 20K was a modern day fairytale of a group trying to chase a maybe imaginary creature to depth of the seas to find out if it is real discovering Atlantis .... if that is not a fairytale thus going into Fantasyland - I don't know what else is.

Were we watching the same movie? The Disney version has a Victorian era scientist who built a nuclear sub.

SirLink

Were we watching the same movie? The Disney version has a Victorian era scientist who built a nuclear sub.

The book has world governments concerned(READ: Enchanted village) about a monster which sailors have been seeing(READ: Dragon seen by villagers). Thus Captain Nemo builds a sub to investigate(READ: Hero invents an ex machina to conquer the villain).

That is a fairytale, fantasy, Fantasyland in a nutshell. I would of thought Disney would of followed the story of the book but sounds like it didn't if that was your takeaway

Matt_Black

The book has world governments concerned(READ: Enchanted village) about a monster which sailors have been seeing(READ: Dragon seen by villagers). Thus Captain Nemo builds a sub to investigate(READ: Hero invents an ex machina to conquer the villain).

That is a fairytale, fantasy, Fantasyland in a nutshell. I would of thought Disney would of followed the story of the book but sounds like it didn't if that was your takeaway

No, no, no. They were never chasing the squid. They accidentally ran into it when they were avoiding capture from a warship. Nemo built the sub to wage war on various imperial nations that he blamed for the suffering in the world.

The Empress Lilly

Yes. And? It's not like things haven't been in the wrong place in the past. Can anyone explain to me how a science fiction movie like 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea fit in to Fantasyland?
You think of Fantasyland as modern animated canon toonland.

Back in the day, 20k was considered too frivolous for Tomorrowland. Too fantastic. TL was more real world based than even Jules Verne. It belonged with a Snow White which scared your socks off - without warning!, and a Toad where the rider died in the end to meet satan in hell. With a bavarian themed subland with Skyway - nary a toon in sight. With non-IP puppets singing about global harmony. All in a European mediaeval town inhabited by humans, instead of toons as in NFL. That housed an art festival.

However that may be, I think 20k was a bit misplaced. (As did the designers themselves, in all likelihood) More designed to form a transition between FL and TL (the one land transition that failed where all the others bring tears of joy for sheer design brilliance), a transition for which it would've served beautifully. Should've swapped placed with the Teacups, or better yet, have been placed elsewhere in a differently designed northeast MK area. To this day the most troubled area of the park.

That, and yes, there were different ideas of thematic unity than the dominant modern one based on singular place, narrative and character universe.

Last edited:

KikoKea

So....what if they had an interesting, entertaining, and educational queue featuring the GoTG characters about energy and ended with an experiment showcasing energy and motion via a roller coaster? The audio, delivered via speakers in your headrest, could vary for repeat experiences, but always point out the different states of energy- potential (at the top of the hill*) and motion- acceleration/deceleration, etc. The queue could even be an omnimover or other type of system, and those who did not wish to ride the coaster could exit to the post-ride attraction and shop area.

*disclaimer: been a loooong time since I took High School physics. Forgive me if this is incorrect. I spent more time trying to catch the eye of another student** than I did trying to make an A.
**Passed the class (barely), and married the guy 34 years ago!

lazyboy97o

So....what if they had an interesting, entertaining, and educational queue featuring the GoTG characters about energy and ended with an experiment showcasing energy and motion via a roller coaster? The audio, delivered via speakers in your headrest, could vary for repeat experiences, but always point out the different states of energy- potential (at the top of the hill*) and motion- acceleration/deceleration, etc. The queue could even be an omnimover or other type of system, and those who did not wish to ride the coaster could exit to the post-ride attraction and shop area.

*disclaimer: been a loooong time since I took High School physics. Forgive me if this is incorrect. I spent more time trying to catch the eye of another student** than I did trying to make an A.
**Passed the class (barely), and married the guy 34 years ago!
If the focus is supposed to be the physics and energy concepts, then what is the point of the characters? The whole point of the franchise mandate is to only invest in established franchises to keep them going.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Agree it's in the wrong place?
yep. I didn't do a scientific poll but from what I have read on here over the last year or two is that the vast majority are good with a frozen ride, just not in world showcase

And more recently, many think the ride is decent/good...but still in the wrong place.

So it seems an argument about this is no longer necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom