Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmajew

These decisions make Disney parks feel more like a business and less like a place where we can escape reality. The more people defend Disney by saying, "they're a business", the more they feel like a business.

When you have been loyal to anything for as long as the people on these boards have been loyal to Disney there is a sense of ownership. Without catering to the fans they will damage both the fans and the shareholders.

Only other brand I can think has as crazy of fans is Apple.

lazyboy97o

Rocket Rods. Still suffering that blight. At least Frozen could be gone in 10 years if deemed appropriate.
Rocket Rods didnt have the established reputation and I've heard Baxter say he rolled over too easily on not just Rocket Rods ands its apparent issues but the entirety of New Tomorrowland.

That Guy

I was a young lad when my dad brought us to EPCOT for the first time in the 80's. For those of you that never experienced it, it was truly magical. Computers, interactions, enjoying learning about the world, I could not get enough and I 100% understand why so many people on the boards are so emotional about this. I still wish my kids got to experience the original Sea Base Alpha the way I did. I still say "the deluge" almost every time we walk through the line.

The world is different now. Technology is evolving faster than anyone could hope to build an attraction for it.(Maybe in part thanks to how EPCOT touched so many young minds in my generation.) As much as I loved what EPCOT was, I am finally ready to let it be something new. It's time to experience the future of Future World.

flyakite

image.jpeg
Disclaimer: I rarely comment, I am not a troll or a lifestyler. I am a native Floridian who was a Disney lover before my father surprised me by driving to an "office supply store" in the 70's in Orlando from Satellite Beach and seeing "Disney World" signs as we drove down World Drive. I still have the saved part of my original Epcot ticket and the science geek in me was mesmerized by the early years of Epcot. I knew what Epcot was "supposed" to be and respected what the Imagineers made into a theme park based on Walt's dream. I have also been saddened by the decay of the 1982 idea but accept the impossibility of keeping this park relevant. I also believe that our society is less inclined to foster the interest in science and culture that many of us old and young on this website still crave today. Epcot was originally a theme park like nothing else, but it was also heavily supported by sponsored corporations and countries. I watched TCM Disney Vault last night and the Adventures in Color was a commercial for RCA color televisions. Disney is either not able to secure such sponsorship or is no longer interested in such pursuits. After 9/11 many corporations dropped sponsorships at Disney and we were left with Epcot as a wine festival and outdated intellectual park. I am pleased that there is investment in this property. I am tired of looking at antiquated spaces and will accept what will rebuilt and remain for the next xxxxxyears to feed the public who requires video game speed stimulation to keep their interest but these changes hopefully will keep our park viable.

Please hit ignore if I offended anyone.

Rodan75

As much as I loved how the ride turned out, if it were truly a good fit for Norway, then there wouldn't be a ton of PR explaining it. There wasn't an overabundance of PR explaining to audiences that the Princess and the Frog took place in New Orleans, Lilo and Stitch took place in Hawaii, Cars took place on Route 66, Mulan took place in China, or that the Lion King took place in Africa because those movies all made their settings and cultures abundantly clear. Sure, they talked about their inspirations in behind the scenes featurettes, but they weren't to the same intensely explanatatory extent Frozen has been. In order to "justify" exactly what they wanted to do with it, Disney's PR had to go into overdrive because Frozen's amount of geographic inspiration is vague enough for one to apply it to anywhere in Northern Europe.

They certainly did that for Lilo, Cars and PATF. Keep in mind they also had ABD and DCL lined up to make $$$ off of travel to Norway...which they didn't do for the others. I think Brave started the travel link.

doctornick

I guess we are heading toward having 3 Magic Kingdoms and one Animal Kingdom.

I see this sentiment a lot and I don't really agree with it at all. The changes at DHS and Epcot aren't making it like the MK at all. MK is set up with distinct, well defined lands with attractions that by and large compliment each other. Sure, Tomorrowland is a bit of a mess, but otherwise it's quite cohesive and isn't overrun by IPs the way people seem to always suggest. The most recent change to MK with the FLE actually tightened up the theming there.

DHS is going down a path of "experience the movies" with franchise driven lands. The front of the park has retained an entertainment celebration vibe. These things are quite distinct from MK which uses more generic tropes to define the lands and individual franchises have at most small sections. If anything, a better argument would be made that the addition of Star Wars is making DL more like DHS.

Who knows what Epcot will end up as, but the more it seems like a random hodgepodge, the less it is like MK.

I'd actually be totally for another theme park that was similar in structure with MK, but with different themes for the lands. That's basically what TDS did and it compliments TDL, rather than be accused of copying it.

dennis-in-ct

The one franchise I think they should have for a ride in Epcot is Ratatouille...no whispers for that.

I agree - I would love to see a Ratatouille ride in the Paris section. And what happened to the Mt Fuji ride in Japan, and the Brother Bear raft ride in CANADA ? I am in favor of actual "rides" in World Showcase. I say GO FOR IT

and I guess I have to watch the Guardians Of The Galaxy movie now ... did not realize it was THAT big of a deal. Foolish me.

Crazydisneyfanluke

Actually, Guardians needs to be a high demand average capacity ride. Something in the 1800 Guest per hour area. If it's too efficient it won't serve the purpose of drawing crowds away from Frozen.
I should have went into further detail saying it should have been a longer ride time.

Hopefully it would use existing ride systems.

Donaldfan1934

They certainly did that for Lilo, Cars and PATF. Keep in mind they also had ABD and DCL lined up to make $$$ off of travel to Norway...which they didn't do for the others. I think Brave started the travel link.
Yes, but the difference is that those movies made their location integral to their initial promotion. Aside from a M&G at Epcot, Norway had nothing to do with the initial promotion. In fact, most of the promotion had little to do with the movie's actually content because Disney at the time felt that was the only way you could get boys to see it. 95% of the Norway tie in was done after the fact. Not only because they wanted "justify" a ride in the Norway Pavilion, but everything they wanted to do with it including, but not limited to, ABD and DCL. Also, I wouldn't have guessed that Brave would've started the travel link. I didn't think it was that beloved of a movie from what I remember.

Joel

Expecting an original attraction at this point is futile. The best we can hope for is that it's good and vaguely thematically appropriate.

I don't like it, but I can't blame Disney for going after the 99.99% of people that will go on a trip to WDW because they have new rides with Marvel/Star Wars/whatever characters rather than the 0.01% of us that want EPCOT Center resurrected.

Rodan75

Yes, but the difference is that those movies made their location integral to their initial promotion. Aside from a M&G at Epcot, Norway had nothing to do with the initial promotion. In fact, most of the promotion had little to do with the movie's actually content because Disney at the time felt that was the only way you could get boys to see it. 95% of the Norway tie in was done after the fact. Not only because they wanted "justify" a ride in the Norway Pavilion, but everything they wanted to do with it including, but not limited to, ABD and DCL. Also, I wouldn't have guessed that Brave would've started the travel link. I didn't think it was that beloved of a movie from what I remember.

Brave apparently triggered a tourism spike in Scotland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom