Grouchy CMs low quality standards and other things from our trip...

NX2I85

This is a message to everyone on these boards:

If you haven't gone to T-REX, save yourself the time and money. It is not a Disney restaurant and the employees are not hired by Disney. They are very unorganized when it is crowded and they have no system at all. The food is very expensive for such poor quality and it is just a terribly noisy and obnoxious atmosphere.

T-REX - where dinosaurs exist and quality service does not. you will have a better experience going to wendy's. amazing looking place though.

Hey... waddaya know! By eating a QPC at McDonald's and admiring the exterior of TRex from the back dining room in McD's it sounds like I got the best of both worlds. :p

Before this CP argument begins let me just say something... Being a Cast Member in the World can take its toll, but for the most part it is a rewarding experience. When I worked there, I was one of the most energetic Cast Members around, always providing the 110%, providing that Magical Disney Experience that the Guests expect and going Above and Beyond on all counts. I was a CP, and I hate to say it but a majority of the times, CPs do a better job then the FTs. CPs take their job more seroiusly because its a great time to show the company that you want to work for them long term, I'm sure other CPs agree in this matter.

Did you ever ask to speak to a manager or go to Guest Relations? I can say from personal experience that all comments from Guest Relations are taken seriously. Everything told to Guest Relations is told to a Manager who then can talk to the CM, but the Managers don't know unless someone tells them.

During my tenure at Disney World, I was screamed at, cursed at, yelled at, and threatened by Guests for the most ridiculous things, some Guests don't even treat us as humans. Then right after any negative incident you have to bring back on that smile, and sometimes that's a bit hard to do when you were just yelled at by a Guest for wait times being too long, or strollers not being allowed in a certain area.

I always provided those Magical Moments, and there is no excuse for low quality CMs because we are held to a high standard, but sometimes we do deserve some slack, we are human, and stress does take it's toll. But the easiest way to ensure great Guest Service is to just acknowledge us and talk to us. You have no idea how nice it is to NOT be ignored by Guest when we are interacting with them. It is the small things in the World that we CMs enjoy. We enjoy interaction, and we enjoy being listened too.

Have A Magical Day!!

Let me just enlighten you on a little story. Last week I worked with a trainer for Soarin' on a 3rd shift detail. He explained to me that they've had so much trouble with Soarin' CP's over the past year because they refuse to work past 7:30PM. Why? Because they want to be able to go to parties back at their dorms. So the CP's all grouped together, went to their representitive and Disney had to take them off the schedule after 7:30PM and told managers to schedule regular CM's to close the park.

Now, tell me why CP's have a bad rap? I'm sure this doesn't happen everywhere but it only takes a few to spoil their reputation. Disney goes out of it's way to accomodate CP's throwing parties for them, giving them special entries on events and tons of recognition. You don't get that when you are a regular CM. You are just one of the masses.

Thanks for these insights on what CMs are going through. It is so easy for many guests to forget that CMs are people. And let me just say, 99.999% of CMs I have encountered on my many trips have been fantastic. Even though there may be a few awkward CM/guest interactions, NOBODY does customer service like Disney.

fosse76

I know it must suck to work on Christmas day, however, you know when you apply to work at Disney that they are open 365 days a year and there is a posibility that you might be working on Christmas day. So you cannot be mad that you are "forced" to work 12 hours on Christmas day. I worked 15 hours at a completely dead restaurant that should have been closed on Christmas but we weren't...so suck it up.

That's a rather lame argument. I'm sorry, but it is. Stress is stress no matter what day of the week, and the most together person on earth can eventually be unhinged. Just because people work in customer service doesn't mean they should expect to be perfect 100% of the time. "That's their job" is an unrealistic response. It's one thing to be rude without provocation, but if you're dealing with tens of thousands of guests, a good deal of whom expect to be able to do whatever they want, it does take its toll. Guest misbehavior is often replicated (i.e., the same type of behavior is exhibited repeatedly throughout the day) and at a certain point you just simply can't recover from it. Sometimes it is difficult not to take that stuff personally, but CMs are not robots, and just because they may have known about the work schedule doesn't mean they don't have a right to complain themselves.

DecWDW

I was at WDW early December and I didn't come across any rude CMs, but my friends and I ran across some ridiculously slow CMs at DHS. It was mind boggling considering the places I went to weren't busy and nothing difficult was being requested. I thought it might just be me, but my friends confirmed it with their own experiences.
And I vote in favor of TRex. My son and I went there twice and enjoyed the food, service and atmosphere. Different strokes, right?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I think the OP forgot this is a Disney fan site and only glowing reports and kissing of the mouses are permitted.

As for working unsocial hours, as my old drill sergeant used to say "if you cant take a joke you shouldnt have joined".

Tom Morrow

It was almost weird... I felt MANY times like the CM thought I was maybe trying to dodge waiting in line or something, when we had our little one right there at the time.
You honestly would not believe how many people try to scam the CMs with the rider switch passes. This is why they are leary with handing them out sometimes.

Buried20KLeague

You honestly would not believe how many people try to scam the CMs with the rider switch passes. This is why they are leary with handing them out sometimes.

Oh, I'm sure. And I thought that at the time. But I LITERALLY would walk up to the CM with my 15 month old in my arms when I asked the question. It doesn't get more legit than that, I wouldn't think... But still at least half the time it was an unpleasant experience.

raven

Sometimes the actual problem is not the CM's themselves but the guest expectations. Some guests actually expect top notch guest service from every CM they encounter and are offended when they find one that is having an off day.

luckyeye13

The main thing that bugged me on my trip was the amount of CM's that could barelt speak English. They should't hire people that have a hard time understanding English (Not inclusing the WS). It took a CM from Korea 5 minutes to understand Where is the First Aid :fork:

Although I can certainly understand the frustration, as someone whose first language (or even second language, for that matter) is not English, I have to give props to the non-English speaking ICPs and IPs for even coming to WDW to work. Of course, it would be nice if they had some more understanding of English before working, but many of them come to Florida specifically to improve their understanding of a language that is certainly considered one of the more difficult ones to learn. Many of them, such as my French friend who sold tickets at Ciruque du Soleil for six months, do significantly expand their ability to comprehend and communicate in English in the several months to a year that they are there. Being surrounded by the language in a native environment for an extended period of time really is the best way to gain an understanding of a language. Before my family moved to the US, my parents took me to English classes, but my English skills really only took off after we moved, as I was then surrounded by English everywhere outside of home. My parents and my younger brother, who had not taken English classes at all, also became fluent in English by the necessity of using it every day. It is only in this way that many terms and expressions, such as "first aid," are learned, since they are not taught in the classroom. Even though I studied French for seven years and still keep up with it (through work and by talking with my French friend, among other ways), there are many things, such as "first aid," that I still do not know how to say in the language.

As for CMs touching your baby, do keep in mind that this may, in part, be attributed to cultural differences. When I worked at Newark airport in NJ, some of my coworkers, who were from Latin America, would tickle a baby's feet or otherwise gently touch a baby. Other coworkers would not do so. It may not even be very obvious that a person is from another culture. For example, until it is mentioned or unless people figure it out based on my last name, most people assume that I am natural-born American as I don't have a noticeable accent due to my age at the time that my family moved here. However, there are still plenty of things that I do based on my Ukrainian customs that Americans may not understand.

Finally, on the topic of supposedly rude CMs, I support those who remind others that CMs are people, too. As a former CM, I can safely say that there are many things that can make it seem as if a CM is being rude without it being the case. Again, this is no excuse for actual outright rudeness, but more of an explanation of cases where a CM may simply appear to be rude without actually intending to or being so. For example, a time when it is very difficult to be at 100%, even with Disney's training, is when one is sick, as sometimes happens in a place with so many people and so many germs. Due to a sense of duty or just not wanting attendance points (which can lead to discipline and also affect the ability to transfer between roles or receive a promotion), many CMs will try to stick out their shift for as long as humanly possible. On certain days, such as when I was working a 19.5 hour shift (a new record for me that was set by combining my regular shift with an Extra Hours Hotline overtime shift) at Monorails, it was possible to move me to a spot that had little Guest contact. I had started the day off without problems, but in the last 6 hours or so, I started to feel quite ill. As I started to feel somewhat better after about an hour or so, I decided to stick it out until the end of the day. Since I was working at the MK station, I was simply placed in the middle unload platform so that I would not have to move around as quickly or as much and would not have to interact with Guests as much. This was made even easier by the fact that it was close to when the Express line stopped dropping off at MK, so I only had to assist Guests coming off the Resort trains. At other times, though, this isn't an option, as when I was working a 20.25 hour shift (which was just a few days after getting sick during the 19.5 hour one, was made up of the same combination, and would be surpassed by a 20.5 hour one a few days later in the same way) at Monorails. I was still getting over whatever I had during my long shift a few days before, but, overall, I knew that I would survive the day. I worked the whole first part of my shift at the Epcot side of the TTC, then I moved over to the Polynesian to finish my day. Towards the evening, I started losing my voice and also feeling the effects of my being sick. As a result, I ended up opening the gates on the platform as soon as the train stopped in the station, which had the effect of creating somewhat of a traffic jam as both entering and exiting Guests were on the platform at the same time. Unfortunately, as I could not make myself heard far away and I was moving somewhat less quickly than normal, this was the only way that I could make sure that Guests got on and off the train quickly and that, at the same time, I was able to load and unload Guests needing assistance. One Guest complained to me about my way of doing things and seemed miffed when I stood quietly and didn't respond. To him, I probably seemed incompetent and rude. In reality, I was doing what I could on my part to keep the trains moving through my station without affecting the operation and I couldn't respond as the Guest would not have heard me from more than about two or three feet away. Any Guest who actually talked to me close up knew that I had simply lost my voice and that I was still quite happy to be of help to the extent that I could be. A day or two later, after I got over whatever I had, I was able to be back to 100% and could even work a 20.5 hour shift, a hectic Christmas Eve (where several pilots committed MAPO violations, thus scaring several of the other pilots, which stressed out everyone as the slowpoke driving caused an Amber MBS to appear in some odd places all night), a busy Christmas Day, and a packed New Year's Eve of Illuminations crowd control at Epcot. I just wanted to illustrate through those examples how perception may be different from the reality with regards to CMs (or anyone else in customer service jobs). Also, some people (no one from this thread, as far as I have noticed) seem to think that anyone who gives them an answer they do not like is being rude to them. This occurred several times when I worked at the airport and had to deny passengers travel due to them not having the proper travel documents to transit the United Kingdom or to enter their destination. Although I would always break the news to all passengers in the exact same calm and polite way, some decided to argue with me, thinking that it would change my answer. After they realized that I would not budge and would simply calmly repeat the facts of the matter and that my supervisors and managers would not override me (In fact, they always supported my decision and even referred other agents to me regarding travel documentation as they knew that I was very knowledgeable on the topic and had managed to save the airline from immigration fines by stopping passengers from traveling many times.), they would resort to calling me rude and/or racist and even threatening to sue my employer for my actions (which is funny as passengers not having the correct documents to travel are specifically exempt from all passenger rights laws regarding being bumped from a flight).

On the very last note, all of the other complaints that the OP and other posters have mentioned need to be told to the Mouse directly, preferably when they occur. While it's quite likely that Disney does read these forums, it is still much better to air your concerns directly as Mickey can't resolve them if he doesn't know about them.

PS: Just to alleviate any safety concerns regarding my long Monorail shifts (especially in light of the events during the summer), there was a rule at the time (It is probably still in place, but I haven't driven since April 2008, so I am not totally sure.) that after reaching 14 hours in a shift, a pilot would usually be grounded for the rest of the day. This wasn't just 14 hours of driving, but 14 total hours of working. Also, if a CM was feeling ill or tired and did not think that they would be able to safely drive a train, they could ask to be grounded, which means that they would be placed in a spot where they would not have to drive and would just work the platform.

jhastings74

On certain days, such as when I was working a 19.5 hour shift (a new record for me that was set by combining my regular shift with an Extra Hours Hotline overtime shift) at Monorails, it was possible to move me to a spot that had little Guest contact. I had started the day off without problems, but in the last 6 hours or so, I started to feel quite ill. As I started to feel somewhat better after about an hour or so, I decided to stick it out until the end of the day. Since I was working at the MK station, I was simply placed in the middle unload platform so that I would not have to move around as quickly or as much and would not have to interact with Guests as much. This was made even easier by the fact that it was close to when the Express line stopped dropping off at MK, so I only had to assist Guests coming off the Resort trains. At other times, though, this isn't an option, as when I was working a 20.25 hour shift (which was just a few days after getting sick during the 19.5 hour one, was made up of the same combination, and would be surpassed by a 20.5 hour one a few days later in the same way) at Monorails.

PS: Just to alleviate any safety concerns regarding my long Monorail shifts (especially in light of the events during the summer), there was a rule at the time (It is probably still in place, but I haven't driven since April 2008, so I am not totally sure.) that after reaching 14 hours in a shift, a pilot would usually be grounded for the rest of the day. This wasn't just 14 hours of driving, but 14 total hours of working. Also, if a CM was feeling ill or tired and did not think that they would be able to safely drive a train, they could ask to be grounded, which means that they would be placed in a spot where they would not have to drive and would just work the platform.

Wow. So within a 7 day (ish) period, you worked 3 days that were around 20 hours each (not counting any other days you may have worked during that time)? I'm sorry, and I KNOW I'll be nailed for this, but whether you were '...just working the platform...' or not, that makes me nervous. I don't know that I want anyone on their 19th hour of the day...especially if it's their 3rd day like that in the past week...especially if they were sick...anywhere near transportation that I might be on, just because you were able to get some OT because of EMH. I don't know you from a hole in the wall and obviously can't judge you or your performance. So I hope you do understand why I say that makes me nervous. :(

luckyeye13

Wow. So within a 7 day (ish) period, you worked 3 days that were around 20 hours each (not counting any other days you may have worked during that time)? I'm sorry, and I KNOW I'll be nailed for this, but whether you were '...just working the platform...' or not, that makes me nervous. I don't know that I want anyone on their 19th hour of the day...especially if it's their 3rd day like that in the past week...especially if they were sick...anywhere near transportation that I might be on, just because you were able to get some OT because of EMH. I don't know you from a hole in the wall and obviously can't judge you or your performance. So I hope you do understand why I say that makes me nervous. :(

Don't worry, I totally understand (that is why I put that little clarification at the bottom of the post in order to cancel out some of the concern). The three days were actually over a period of two weeks and, luckily, the day after was always an evening shift of no more than 6-8 hours (or even a day off, in one case). However, the EMH shifts were necessary for the Monorail operation to be as smooth as could be expected at that time of year and the department was prepared, based on how many shifts were posted for the taking, for a certain amount of pilots to be grounded for reaching the time limit or voluntarily. Another thing to keep in mind is that the company really does trust their CMs to let someone know if they can no longer perform their functions at all for the shift. Although its use is noted on a CMs record card (and may accrue points), they do provide a nuclear bomb kind of shift release that forces the CM to be released from work in the event that regular early releases based on need are not being granted. To that effect, the company does make it clear that CMs are held responsible for any safety violations that are committed, even if it is for lack of sleep, the length of a shift, sickness, etc. For the most part, I think that this system works quite well and doesn't turn anyone into the working hours police for the purpose of determining when a long shift is too long. (For most of the year, certain overtime rules actually make these kinds of shifts almost impossible in pretty much all areas of the Resort. I only remember them being relaxed that time at Monorails due to the shortage of trained pilots and another time for a week or two at Pleasure Island between the departure and arrival of CPs and ICPs.) For my part, I was an extremely safe monorail pilot and committed no violations during any of my driving there. I was actually signed up for another one or two such shifts in between the second and third one, but used the opportunity to cancel them, as it was still far enough out to do so without penalty, in order to recover from both my illness and the hours. Honestly, I consider Disney's trust of its CMs in making the decision on whether or not working longer will affect their ability to work safely as the fairest system for ensuring that the needs of the Resort are met and safety is maintained. Since they realize the implications of safety at the Resort, I also think that most CMs take this decision very seriously and act accordingly.

rickmusic53

So we just got back today from ou r week long trip to the world after a 2 1/2 year absence and noticed a few things. First boy were they busy!!! at capacity a few of the days. even though AK and HS were dead on the 31st and 1sts.

My complaint is mostly with the CM's ... alot of them were just grouchy.. like they were so miserable to be there. it was a first to see and interact with so many unpleasent CM"S. mostly just them sounding/looking miserable, a couple strange things. like when we went to check in at prioity seating they said well your reservation is 5:00 you need to come back at 4:45(very rudly like I was so dumb or something... I walked away and told my husband and he looked at the clock it was 4:44 so then I had to walk right back and wait in line (which was now super long...) Some Cm's getting annoyed especially when we wanted to do a baby swap!
anyone else notice this??

Another thing is that we were there with our 10 month old baby and alot of the cm's were interacting with him which is fine but several felt the need to touch his face etc... I was kind of upset and felt they should keep there hands to themselves!

Also there seemed to be lots of uncoordination and chaos... when we went to dinner at the TREX resturant we were told to go to 3 different places to wait for our seat and nobody new where they wanted us. also when we were at the magic kingdom and were going in line for the speedway we asked the CM how baby swap for that ride works.. he said that we take the baby w/us they'll handle it when we get there... we get there and he said baby swap tghey should take care of it at the front and rudley told my hubby (who had the sleerping baby) go sit in the grandstsand.....

The other thing I noticed was the quality of some things. like our hotel at the pop century when we got there. there was a roach in our bathroom. my hubby killed it and i figured isolated incident.. well the next day when I went to get an item out of the drawer we put our babys stuff in tehre were two more in there!!! I also felt a few of the resturants like chef mickey's dinner buffet have dropped the quality of food they used to have. The parks seemed very messy (but could have been because of how busy they were)

now all in all had a blast and cant wait for our next trip 6/2011!!!!
First of all you whiney ______....why would you take a 10 month old to WDW...and then complain...not real bright are you? Secondly I don't believe that roach story for a minute. I also do not believe any cast member was rude to you. I think you're one of those people who think you should be pampered no matter what you're doing, where you are or what you spent. Lastly, I've never seen any of the parks messy and I go 2 and 3 times a year at all times of the year. Make it 10 years this time before you go back as you are one of those I want to be no where near.

Maryssa*

You know, I'm kind of surprised at how many people are jumping on the OP for expressing her frustrations here. There's still a pretty recent thread up about how there are lots of complaints about WDW these days, which got attacked with "well we need some place to complain and we do it because we want improvements, and if people don't raise concerns, nothing ever gets fixed," etc etc. So many of you are telling her to talk about the positive things only which sort of comes off in a negative way yourselves, and contradicts that very other thread!

I think OP has a right to be able to get these comments off her chest in a forum where I'd think people would understand :(

That said, OP, I'm sorry those things clouded the magic on your trip. Hopefully it made the good things that much better!

happymom52003

You know, I'm kind of surprised at how many people are jumping on the OP for expressing her frustrations here. There's still a pretty recent thread up about how there are lots of complaints about WDW these days, which got attacked with "well we need some place to complain and we do it because we want improvements, and if people don't raise concerns, nothing ever gets fixed," etc etc. So many of you are telling her to talk about the positive things only which sort of comes off in a negative way yourselves, and contradicts that very other thread!

I think OP has a right to be able to get these comments off her chest in a forum where I'd think people would understand :(

That said, OP, I'm sorry those things clouded the magic on your trip. Hopefully it made the good things that much better!

I agree 100%. I'm rarely annoyed with threads where people post complaints and negative experiences. The thing that annoys me is the constant (and often rude) defense of Disney by some posters. I've noticed certain things going downhill at Disney on every trip I take, but I dare not mention them on this forum.:rolleyes:

Tom Morrow

Oh, I'm sure. And I thought that at the time. But I LITERALLY would walk up to the CM with my 15 month old in my arms when I asked the question. It doesn't get more legit than that, I wouldn't think... But still at least half the time it was an unpleasant experience.
Unfortunately, people even attempt to show their (or an) infant to get the rider switch, with no intention of actually doing a parent swap. I won't go into too much detail so more people won't attempt it.

Also, I can tell you that during peak crowd level times, the Fastpass Return CMs are literally bombarded nonstop with people trying to cheat the system by either scamming the rider switch, using expired passes, trying to enter with not enough Fastpasses, or trying to enter way before their time. They're also literally getting frequently yelled at by guests who are too impatient to wait 5-10 minutes for their Fastpass ticket to be valid.

I understand this is not an excuse to be rude, but when so many guests are giving you a hard time, it can put you in the mindset that they're all trying to pull something. This is definitely an issue related to the heavy crowds, though.

draybook

That's a rather lame argument. I'm sorry, but it is. Stress is stress no matter what day of the week, and the most together person on earth can eventually be unhinged. Just because people work in customer service doesn't mean they should expect to be perfect 100% of the time. "That's their job" is an unrealistic response. It's one thing to be rude without provocation, but if you're dealing with tens of thousands of guests, a good deal of whom expect to be able to do whatever they want, it does take its toll. Guest misbehavior is often replicated (i.e., the same type of behavior is exhibited repeatedly throughout the day) and at a certain point you just simply can't recover from it. Sometimes it is difficult not to take that stuff personally, but CMs are not robots, and just because they may have known about the work schedule doesn't mean they don't have a right to complain themselves.

Do they have the right, yes. Should they display it "onstage", no. Do you think that's the way Walt wanted it? Some of our customers ordered really heavy on the medical supplies on New Year's Eve and I was at work until shortly before the New Year. I would have liked to have been at home earlier with m family, getting ready to do fireworks. So do I have the right to call our customers, huffing and puffing and talking crazy to them?

:brick::brick:

BrerFrog

Let me just enlighten you on a little story. Last week I worked with a trainer for Soarin' on a 3rd shift detail. He explained to me that they've had so much trouble with Soarin' CP's over the past year because they refuse to work past 7:30PM. Why? Because they want to be able to go to parties back at their dorms. So the CP's all grouped together, went to their representitive and Disney had to take them off the schedule after 7:30PM and told managers to schedule regular CM's to close the park.

Now, tell me why CP's have a bad rap? I'm sure this doesn't happen everywhere but it only takes a few to spoil their reputation. Disney goes out of it's way to accomodate CP's throwing parties for them, giving them special entries on events and tons of recognition. You don't get that when you are a regular CM. You are just one of the masses.

As a former ICP who would give everything to go back, and not for the parties, I am sad to hear this, but not surprised at all. Unfortunately I have met a good (bad) number of CPs and ICPs who did similar - or worse - things.

Unfortunately, one isolated case like that is naturally enough to tarnish the reputation of an entire group that mostly tries to give everything they have to guests due to the short time they spend with the company.

captainkidd

I don't think it's a lame argument. Someday, when I'm older, I'd like to work for WDW. I know up front, if I ever want to do this, the most important part of my job will be to have a smile on my face no matter what the circumstances are. If I know this, certainly a Disney employee knows this.

We all face stress in our jobs. You deal with it and press on. If you can't handle it, get another job.

jakeman

You are 100% correct. I have been sitting back just watching this thread and have so much that I would love to add about how the CP is the downfall of WDW...But I will be keeping my mouth shut because I do not feel like getting bashed again like I have in so many other threads for stating facts and truths about what goes on at WDW.

You all be careful...I am surprised that Mansion Butler hasn't shown up yet to arguee with those who state the truth.
"Truth" regarding a single site employeer that employs 50,000 people is relative at best.

While 99.9% of my interaction with cast have be positive, the few negative experiences I have had have been split pretty evenly.

The same was true as my time as a cast member. There were hateful full timers and drunken CP. The complete opposite was the case for a majority of the people I worked with.

Every group has it's bad eggs. Usually, it is easier to pick out the bad eggs that aren't in your basket.

jakeman

You must have overlooked a lot of the bad stuff when you were a CM.
Perhaps you just focus too much on it? :shrug:

I have experienced large numbers in and out of my area.
The point is, while you may think that you are the authority of the CM experience at WDW, you are not. Nor am I.

Even if you interact with two thousand other CMs so frequently that you are intimately familiar with their working style, habits, and attitude, that is still less than five percent of the total cast at WDW. Less than five percent is statistically insignificant.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Roaches, really? Ewie. Sorry to hear about your less than magical experience.
Hope your 2011 trip is much, much better!
Call me old fashioned, but it is Florida. Even Disney can`t stop termites and bugs everywhere, all the time.

If I`d had found one in Paris I`d be upset, but somewhere with Orlandos climate?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom