Great Movie Ride...

mr_braver23

BTW, I realize that mentioning that "Raiders of the Lost Ark" is over 30 years old may have just shocked and scared some of you, so for that I am sorry. :drevil:[/QUOTE]

OMG!! I'm old...............:eek:

rct247

The whole attraction deserves a major refurbishment that features updated Audio-Animatronics.

Load Scene - Hollywood Soundstage - KEEP

Scene 1 - Footlight Parade - REPLACE with tribute to silents films, especially Laurel and Hardy & Charlie Chaplin.

Scene 2 - Singin' in the Rain - KEEP

Scene 3 - Mary Poppins - KEEP

Scene 4 - Public Enemy/Underworld/Gangster Tribute - KEEP

Scene 5 - Western Tribute - KEEP

Scene 6 - Alien - REPLACE with an either Star Wars or an updated Sci-Fi thriller

Scene 7 - Indiana Jones - KEEP

Scene 8 - Ancient Mummy Tomb - KEEP

Scene 9 - Horror/Monster Tribute - KEEP

Scene 10 - Tarzan - REPLACE with Wily Wonka with Gene Wilder singing Pure Imagination in the Chocolate Room

Scene 11 - Casablanca - KEEP

Scene 12 - Fantasia - REPLACE with either Titanic "King of the World" scene or Lion King "Circle of Life/Raising Simba Up" scene

Scene 13a - Wizard of Oz - KEEP

Scene 13b - Wizard of Oz - KEEP

Movie Montage Scene - UPDATE (Wikipedia has the list of films from the final montage: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Great_Movie_Ride_films)
KEEP ALL EXCEPT:
-Three Men & A Baby
-Trading Places
-Tootsie
-Narnia

ADD or REPLACE with a scene from:
-E.T.
-Lord of the Rings
-Rocky
-Titanic
-Toy Story
-Spiderman
-Juno
-Dark Knight
-Jurassic Park
-Inception
-Harry Potter

Also update/add/replace notable actors/actresses segment of the montage with updated stars along with some of the existing footage.

That's my 2 cents.

It would bring the attraction into the current decade while still remaining very true to opening day.

The MadHatter

alien was a favorite childhood movie of mine so i would be sad to see it go...although i feel more people have childhood memories of star wars so i can understand the want to change the scene. my only defense is as a young kid growing up in the 90's there was an over exposure of starwars toys/games/rides etc but i had to really hunt to find anything related to alien. i looked forward year after year to ride the great movie ride as a young kid just to get that little extra "alien" in my life.

Walt Disney1955

Sure, use an update, but that ride has some charm and I never get the hate for it around here sometimes. That ride does exactly what we expect Disney to do for us and that is sit back and let them entertain us without us lifting a finger. It is done well and I don't know a better place that does it like that.

I'll go to the Wax Museum's in Niagara Falls and while I can't say anything negative about the work of Madame Toussaud's, I still find myself reminiscing just how well Disney does it compared to everyone else.

Heck, they could add a Pirates scene in there if they want.

Thrill Seeker

As a movie rider, I'll admit that it needs some work, but not as drastic as many are proposing. I'd like to see Footlight Parade either fixed or replaced with a different classic musical. Alien I think would be cool to be replaced with Tron. Imagine a cool lighting effect s__________g you into a virtual world? That would be pretty sweet. Mummies I think we could leave alone. Tarzan I'd replace with another adventure film such as Pirates. I'd also redo the finale film from scratch to chronicle the history of films, presented by AFI. Everything else just needs to be cleaned, converted to digital projection and add in some atmospheric effects. That's it!

pumpkin7

the only reason fantasia is there is because that area was meant to be the tornado from wizard of oz. according to this book i've been reading (forget its name at the moment), they were planning on having wizard of oz as a 3 scene area but negotiations fell through and they settled on 2 scenes. they then decided fantasia would fit in that extra scene, which is why it's a bit... mm boring.
i suppose some more disney films would be nice but there's no need to make it all disney. it just needs some love!

dcibrando

I'm really surprised the majority of people want to keep it with non-disney movies and many of which the younger generation have no clue about and likely never will any interest in.

I just think the whole attraction could/should be a tribute to the past, present, and future of Disney films and could be a MAJOR hit attraction if done correctly. Go through the timeline of disney movies and the history of animation (including other disney movies like pirates, tron, etc.) and all the way to the newer Disney/Pixar films... also the last scene with the movie theater could even be used to briefly promote the next film as well.

there is SO MUCH potential in this ride to be HUGE if done this way in my opinion. Who wouldn't be excite to round the corner to be in the middle of a scene from Pirates of the Caribbean, just imagine how cool a scene from Tron could look, a Tangled seen with the tower and swinging down from it, etc, etc, etc.

pumpkin7

meh i don't think they need to use it as a promotion ride. the montage at the end is good! it just needs more in it for the younger generation.

I don't think everything at Disney needs to be geared directly towards kids - updating a couple scenes to include Willy Wonka, Star Wars, Titanic etc would be great - if anything - this ride will open up kids minds to see different movies - classic movies. The Great Movie Ride is about Hollywood, and movie classics - you can't overrun it with Disney. There's enough rides about Disney movies scattered throughout the parks. I love this because it's different.

And I say keep the live performers - sure maybe sometimes you'll have a CM who is a little less enthusiatic - but I've had some great guides in my experiences - I think taking them away would make it way less fun.

GoochDSA

I'm really surprised the majority of people want to keep it with non-disney movies and many of which the younger generation have no clue about and likely never will any interest in.

I just think the whole attraction could/should be a tribute to the past, present, and future of Disney films and could be a MAJOR hit attraction if done correctly. Go through the timeline of disney movies and the history of animation (including other disney movies like pirates, tron, etc.) and all the way to the newer Disney/Pixar films... also the last scene with the movie theater could even be used to briefly promote the next film as well.

there is SO MUCH potential in this ride to be HUGE if done this way in my opinion. Who wouldn't be excite to round the corner to be in the middle of a scene from Pirates of the Caribbean, just imagine how cool a scene from Tron could look, a Tangled seen with the tower and swinging down from it, etc, etc, etc.

My issue with making all of GMR about Disney and Pixar is that the rest of the 4 parks is a tribute to the history of Disney and Pixar.

If you want to round a corner and be in the middle of a scene from "Pirates of the Caribbean" go to MK and go on Pirates of the Caribbean. The movie was a tribute to the ride and then they changed the ride to be more like the movie.. does Disney really need to put "Pirates..." somewhere else in WDW? Same goes with SW. If you want to go on a ride and feel like your in the middle of SW, Star Tours is a 5 minute walk from GMR or visit durring a SWW. Does it really need to be added to another ride?

If they were to ever change GMR and make it all about Disney and Pixar, at very least they should only use scenes from movies not represented elsewhere in WDW. Use it as a tool to market some of the other movies that aren't about a fish, a car, a princess, a pirate, a galaxy far far away, etc.

Bairstow

If you want to round a corner and be in the middle of a scene from "Pirates of the Caribbean" go to MK and go on Pirates of the Caribbean. The movie was a tribute to the ride and then they changed the ride to be more like the movie.. does Disney really need to put "Pirates..." somewhere else in WDW? Same goes with SW. If you want to go on a ride and feel like your in the middle of SW, Star Tours is a 5 minute walk from GMR or visit durring a SWW. Does it really need to be added to another ride?

Wait, there's a Pirates of the Caribbean ride now?

If they were to ever change GMR and make it all about Disney and Pixar, at very least they should only use scenes from movies not represented elsewhere in WDW.
Use it as a tool to market some of the other movies that aren't about a fish, a car, a princess, a pirate, a galaxy far far away, etc.

Ugh. I hate this impulse to turn every creative effort into an advertisement for something else.
"Synergy" is a 4-letter word as far as I'm concerned.

GoochDSA

Ugh. I hate this impulse to turn every creative effort into an advertisement for something else.
"Synergy" is a 4-letter word as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, I'll give you that it. Bad choice of words. How about, use it as a showcase for the movies not respresented elsewhere in the parks?

MeTa

This could use some updating, however some of the classics that are there could stay and be updated as well.....animatorics came along a was since the attraction opened.

HM GhostHostess

I would change EVERY SCENE OF IT... make the ride a timeline through Classic DISNEY Movies to recent Disney/Pixar ones with animatronics, etc. This is Disney World... Disney fans...appeal to all ages. This could be such a great draw for all ages if it were that. The last room with the movie screen could be filled with lots Disney movies and even an preview/ad for the most recent/upcoming Disney movie (whatever it may be)

Right now in my opinion is it boring to the younger generation that has no idea what these movies are...especially not being Disney. Everyone of every age would recognize and get excited about a scene with Snow White, Sleeping Beauty to Jack Sparrow and Tow Mater.

While I personally don't mind going on it when I'm in Hollywood Studios... I think Disney is REALLY missing out on a chance to make this into an extremly popular ride in my opinion. DISNEY / PIXAR MOVIES.... not Footlight Parade, John Wayne, Alien, etc.

You are basically saying that people only come to Walt Disney World to see things that are from Disney films. By your logic, I'll bet that you hate attractions like Expedition Everest, its a small world, Horizons, the Carousel of Progress, etc. None of these attractions feature any characters from any Disney films, yet they are very popular and are among peoples' favorites. Nowadays, it is rare for Disney to built anything that does feature a Disney or Pixar character. Personally, I think the parks are slowly become one big advertisement.

The Great Movie Ride is a tribute to classic films and the history of Hollywood, much like the original Disney-MGM Studios park. Disney isn't the only studio that has created great, timeless films.

The Great Movie Ride is one of two "rides" that opened with the Disney-MGM Studios. Disney ripped apart and destroyed most of the original Backlot Tour, but thankfully the Great Movie Ride has been untouched. Look at what Disney does to their classic attractions when they "plus" them these days. Spaceship Earth is no longer as great as it used to be because of the new finale, Journey Into Imagination is a shell of its former self, and the Tropical Serenade became the extremely annoying Under New Management show.

Also, I noticed that you said that you would want to change every scene in the ride because it is not Disney. I guess Mary Poppins and Fantasia don't count as Disney films. :shrug:

tuppence

This is boring but I can't take it when they change ANYTHING in Disney so I say don't change a thing. But ask me tomorrow and I'll give you a list. :)

dcibrando

I'm not an idiot...I know Mary Poppins and Fantasia (barely) is in the GMR....I also know that things like expedition everest isn't a Disney icon from a movie....what I know most if all is that the GMR is a large ride with extremly little appeal to children and will continue to be that way as new children come along.

I never said I don't like the attraction but it could be SO MUCH better in my opinion. If I wanted to go see tributes to non-Disney films i'd go to the other studios in the area (i cant believe i just said that) or visit the real Hollywood.

The GMR could be majorly popular with all Disney movies scenes and tributes (that included non animated as well). I do agree with a previous poster that it could be movies or characters not represented in other rides as well...could be a great place to give a lil acknowledgment to those Disney movies or characters that are sometimes forgotten

WishUponaStar~K

Replacement scene

The Alien Scene - I think I'd replace it with one of the first Disney family movies I remember seeing over and over again - Herbie the Love Bug - or even a mixture of the "Wonderful World of Disney" era movies, like Flubber, The gy Dog and Herbie. The feel-good family movie era.

But then again, I'd be perfectly fine if they left it exactly the way it is. I think the ride as a whole does a very good job of transitioning from one scene to the next.

Bairstow

First of all, none of the movies featured in the Great Movie ride were currently popular with children when the attraction opened. Imagineering was smart enough not to devote scenes to movies kids at the time liked and Disney could get the rights to.

If they had, we'd have show scenes of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the Rocketeer, and Flight of the Navigator.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I think The Wizard Oz is a bit more deserving.

Turning the attraction into some kind of dark ride version of the trailer barrage Disney forces you to sit through before you watch one of their DVDs circa 2006 would not suddenly make the attraction popular.

More than that, I couldn't care less whether it's popular with the masses or not. I like it the way it the way the imagineers designed it.

Oh, and Alien is the most memorable part of the ride and all of you know it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom