Great Movie Ride to Close?

FrankLapidus

Older movies are usually long because they're based on the lengths of live plays (Casablanca), Broadway musicals (Singin' in the Rain), epics (Alien), or live symphonies (Fantasia). People had longer attention spans back then, too. Plus they read more and didn't mind waiting for a plot to be established.

Break the movies up over a day or two. You'll be glad you watched them. There's a reason the best modern movie makers study the classics: they were made before Wall Street controlled Hollywood, and the quality of writing and visual creativity are still unsurpassed. Special effects, on the other hand, are much better now.

And, sadly, used as a crutch for lackluster and contrived storylines and scripts.

FrankLapidus

Now I've seen Mary Poppins and The Wizard of Oz. And I said I've seen Indiana Jones.. I've never been able to sit through the entire Fantasia, it was pretty boring to me. Same with Alien.

Everything else though, mehh.. I've never even heard of those top two. Never seen Singing in the Rain or the original Tarzan, never seen Casablanca.. They just don't look that interesting to me. Sorry. d:

And I just asked all my friends which if these they've seen and my responses were.. "I saw Mary Poppins when I was like 5 I think..." and "OOOO!!! I've seen the Wizard of Oz! James Franco was amazing!" xP

My favorite response was.. "Raiders sounds familiar.."
Me: "It's Indiana Jones."
Them: "Why didn't you just say that?"

All I'l say is you're missing out if you haven't see some of those films.

And if the Great Movie Ride has made you aware of some of them for the first time then its served its purpose. Maybe its not so outdated and obsolete after all.

R W B

I really hope they don't close GMR for good. It is one of my favorites.

I think what people don't get with this ride is that its pretty much a tribute to classic movies. It's not intended to have up to date movies. Even with new generations of guests the era of classic movies doesn't change. Sure it could be touched up and maybe some new scenes added to the final film but as for as each room you pass through, I still enjoy it!

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
All I'l say is you're missing out if you haven't see some of those films.

And if the Great Movie Ride has made you aware of some of them for the first time then its served its purpose. Maybe its not so outdated and obsolete after all.

Nah.. It didn't make me aware of them. It just made me think "Dang these movies must be old.. They should upgrade this ride."

FrankLapidus

Nah.. It didn't make me aware of them. It just made me think "Dang these movies must be old.. They should upgrade this ride."

If you hadn't heard of some of the films until you went on the ride, as you claimed, then yes it did make you aware of them.

And it's a shame you're not interested in broadening your horizons, you're missing out on some of the best films ever made. But to each their own.

MerlinTheGoat

When I first rode GMR in the very early 90's as a child (a very young one), there was a mixture of movies I had seen and not seen. I hadn't seen Alien, Singin in the Rain, Raiders of the Lost Arc, Casablanca, or anything with John Wayne and James Cagney. The ride unquestionably inspired me to do so. The ride was my first experience with some of them.

Mike S

When I first rode GMR in the very early 90's as a child (a very young one), there was a mixture of movies I had seen and not seen. I hadn't seen Alien, Singin in the Rain, Raiders of the Lost Arc, Casablanca, or anything with John Wayne and James Cagney. The ride unquestionably inspired me to do so. The ride was my first experience with some of them.
GMR was also most likely my first experience with some of those movies. So far I've seen Mary Poppins, The Public Enemy, Alien, Raiders, Fantasia (though I should probably watch that again at some point since its been a REALLY long time), and The Wizard of Oz (who hasn't seen that?). One of these days I will get around to watching Casablanca, maybe The Searchers too. Not sure if I would be interested in Footlight Parade, Singin' in the Rain, or Tarzan.

ETA: Although the movie isn't represented in the ride Clint Eastwood is so I'll also mention that I've seen The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Last edited:

jdmdisney99

GMR was also most likely my first experience with some of those movies. So far I've seen Mary Poppins, The Public Enemy, Alien, Raiders, Fantasia (though I should probably watch that again at some point since its been a REALLY long time), and The Wizard of Oz (who hasn't seen that?). One of these days I will get around to watching Casablanca, maybe The Searchers too. Not sure if I would be interested in Footlight Parade, Singin' in the Rain, or Tarzan.
Singin' in the Rain and Casablanca are two of my all time favorites. Gene Kelly just never gets old and the mid-WWII story of Casablanca is very enthralling. Check them out when you've got the chance.

Gomer

Its somewhat understandable for someone who is young and who just watches movies as a form of pop entertainment or for visceral thrills to dismiss anything older than they are. I'd say that's common among less discerning movie goers. And I'm sure that same type of movie viewer was making the same complaints about the same dated movie scenes back in 1989. We just didn't have an internet to so easily compare gripes back then. The issue here that those people's opinions for the GMR become somewhat irrelevant if you intend to keep the original concept of the GMR intact. It was always intended to show movies that wouldn't appeal to that type of viewer. Unfortunatley that seems to be the demographic Disney targets in recent years so I fear it may not be long before GMR is aiming at the lowest common denominator for movies.

But really, if you just want to see rides about recent popular movies, that's what Universal is there for. They excel at it as a matter of fact. I don't see a need to add more of the same at GMR and remove what constitutes the only attraction aimed at true film lovers in the Orlando area. Leave it for those who stil love it. There are plenty of us. Plus it, refurb it, that's all fine. Just don't gut it and ruin that last bit of old hollywood clinging to the dying theme of Hollywood Studios.

Mike S

Its somewhat understandable for someone who is young and who just watches movies as a form of pop entertainment or for visceral thrills to dismiss anything older than they are. I'd say that's common among less discerning movie goers. And I'm sure that same type of movie viewer was making the same complaints about the same dated movie scenes back in 1989. We just didn't have an internet to so easily compare gripes back then. The issue here that those people's opinions for the GMR become somewhat irrelevant if you intend to keep the original concept of the GMR intact. It was always intended to show movies that wouldn't appeal to that type of viewer. Unfortunatley that seems to be the demographic Disney targets in recent years so I fear it may not be long before GMR is aiming at the lowest common denominator for movies.

But really, if you just want to see rides about recent popular movies, that's what Universal is there for. They excel at it as a matter of fact. I don't see a need to add more of the same at GMR and remove what constitutes the only attraction aimed at true film lovers in the Orlando area. Leave it for those who stil love it. There are plenty of us. Plus it, refurb it, that's all fine. Just don't gut it and ruin that last bit of old hollywood clinging to the dying theme of Hollywood Studios.
Epcot has been heading in that direction for a while now. Wouldn't surprise me if that mindset hits the Great Movie Ride at some point sadly.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
If you hadn't heard of some of the films until you went on the ride, as you claimed, then yes it did make you aware of them.

And it's a shame you're not interested in broadening your horizons, you're missing out on some of the best films ever made. But to each their own.

Definitely to my own.

ctxak98

Please don't take offense, but you're not much of a "movie buff" if you're unfamiliar with the movies represented in GMR.
I wanted tot say that, but didn't know if that would be offensive! But I politely agree! Evey movie in there was iconic, maybe not a classic but for true classic movie buffs, they are very well known

ctxak98

I'm surprised there's anyone who hasn't heard of Casablanca but Footlight Parade and The Searchers are included because they represent pivotal eras and genres in film history; Footlight Parade because it was choreographed by the legendary Busby Berkeley who was instrumental in the 1920's/1930's golden age of movie musicals and The Searchers stars the most famous actor of the Western genre in John Wayne.
Yes yes yes!!!! Finally someone who knows something about footlight parade and how iconic busby Berkeley was to the movie musical! If you change the footlight parade movie, then you need to replace it with 42nd st.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom