Great Movie Ride to Close?

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
I think long-term there is merit to this idea.. could really have some fun with change into HD / 3D and even forward thinking to full immersive entertainment

tirian

Actually movies are longer today - though not by much. It depends on what time period you are looking at. From the beginning of the sound era to the 1960's, there was a definite increase, and since then it's remained somewhat constant somewhere around the 90 minute mark with variations here and there. They have jumped a bit since the 80's to now, but not hugely as that early rise in the mid-century previously. Of course, these are all averages - but for every 3 hour Transformer movies, there are plenty of 87-minute horror and comedy flims to pull the number back down. There is a great article about it here.

That said, the shots and scenes were generally markedly longer. That's why folks perceive them to be more lengthy. The average shot is somewhere around 3 seconds these days, when it used to hover around 10. That may not seem like a lot - but when you consider those are averages, and that means we have many 1-second shots and they had many 15 or longer ones, it's a pretty big difference in range.

Somewhat tangentially, that's kind of the Achilles heel of modern 3D and why it is already fizzling. We finally have the technology to do it well, but the way films are made now with "MTV-era" cutting there simply isn't enough time to absorb a lot of what 3D offers as films have to be "after-market friendly" where in most cases the viewer will be watching in 2D.
You know, I thought about that as I typed it, but didn't elaborate because I was trying to compare an average comedy or drama to those of the 30s through 50s. Most of today's summer tentpole movies are MUCH too long because, in addition to frantic cuts and edits, they don't have enough plot to carry anything or keep viewers interested.

There are plenty of great films made in the last 10 years (LOTR, Moon, anything by Wes Anderson) and plenty of fantastic classics. Let's enjoy them all.

CJR

In the following link, it is rumored that the Great Movie Ride will be closing at some point. Has this been confirmed? http://www.examiner.com/article/wal...frozen-ride-set-to-shut-down-five-attractions

I'm not saying this ride will never close, but given that it still packs in the crowds on a busy day, it's far from being a problem on their long list of things to fix at DHS. It's one of the rides that anybody can ride and until they get a few more of those, it's not going anywhere.

Personally, it doesn't seem financially beneficial for Disney to ever replace the ride. Absolutely, they could and probably eventually will make big changes to it, but a complete closure seems unlikely to me. I know there's been ideas of such a thing, but I think management would shy away just by looking at the price tag. The ride can easily be updated and increase merchandise sales right outside without tearing it all out. This would also be much cheaper than a gutting.

Phil12

I'm not saying this ride will never close, but given that it still packs in the crowds on a busy day, it's far from being a problem on their long list of things to fix at DHS. It's one of the rides that anybody can ride and until they get a few more of those, it's not going anywhere.

Personally, it doesn't seem financially beneficial for Disney to ever replace the ride. Absolutely, they could and probably eventually will make big changes to it, but a complete closure seems unlikely to me. I know there's been ideas of such a thing, but I think management would shy away just by looking at the price tag. The ride can easily be updated and increase merchandise sales right outside without tearing it all out. This would also be much cheaper than a gutting.
I agree. It would make more sense to do a Frozen overlay on the GMR at DHS in addition to the Maelstrom at Epcot. The popularity of Frozen is such that each park needs its own ride and M&G.

elchippo

They'd never bulldoze one of their highest capacity all ages rides....update? Sure, at some point. But whatever they decide to re-name this place, "Hollywood" seems like it would be a part of it...and what's the center of the Hollywood universe? CLASSIC MOVIES.

doctornick

While I agree with your logic, the one thing I worry about if whether the decision makers would consider closing this ride due to the costs of operating it -- I would think that with the number of AAs and the fact that CMs are paid to act during the ride makes it somewhat more expensive that most rides (plus, it wouldn't surprise me if the ride vehicles are expensive to maintain). Once other family friendly rides come online, it's possible that this ride might close and changed to something cheaper to operate.

Mrs.Toad

My issue is, that they would have to think about this very carefully, if this were ever up for consideration….it is just not like removing or removing/replacing a ride or attraction. It is, but you have to be careful with the icons/theme/anchor ride/attractions. It is more than that. The ride/attraction, all that goes with it, and the actual Graumann building/Chinese theatre of HS, queue area, exhibit, cement prints, and everything that went with that. It would set a massive precedent and be completely irreversible, once the damage was done, if a big mistake was made. Only the Castle had a name change. It used to be King Stefan's. Ok, SSE was updated/changed, and many are not pleased with the results. But otherwise all icons/ride concepts/dining/shops, etc. for the big 4 park anchors are still remaining from origin.

For example, SSE serves many purposes but if you think of it in two mind frames. You have the actual exterior and the nostalgia, symbolism, of this massive silver geosphere and really, it is "Epcot." Then you have the actual ride/atrraction inside. Same for MK, AK, and what we are discussing, HS.

This is not the Snow White situation. Where they chose to close Snow White, and develop the Mine Train. That was big for me, because that need to retain the old AA rides. So we lost this, Mr. Toad, Maelstrom, etc. And believe me, I can only say so much because I only did peek at the mine train on youtube. I have not been there yet since opening to see firsthand. I am happy it is there, but I can't forget what it cost/what was lost (the AA Snow White) to get there either.

What I am saying is that GRM, if it ever happened or was considered, is a bigger blow because of the building and all ceremonies, visitors from Old Hollywood, the cement prints, everything that encompassed the vision for the park upon opening. And it would affect both Hollywood and Sunset Boulevards and every eatery, shop, and piece of architecture/facade, design scheme, feel of the park, memories, nostalgia, theme, etc., you name it.

Last edited:

ctxak98

I have always been a huge proponent of The Great Movie Ride. It's one of the last attractions Disney has done and left intact that's anywhere near the level of Pirates of the Caribbean. Seriously. What have they done since, I guess, Splash Mountain that hasn't downsized the quantity and functionality of Audio-Animatronics, has highly detailed show scenes like this one and is slow moving? It's a close cousin to EPCOT Center attractions Spaceship Earth, World of Motion and Horizons from that era. It makes perfect sense considering it was originally going to BE an EPCOT Center attraction. They don't do anything like this anymore, people. We lose it entirely and they'll likely replace it with some dumb thrill ride with screens, very few Animatronics and inadequate capacity. I mean, come on. They even have the chains dangling from the ceiling in the Alien scene. It is incredibly detailed and one of WDI's masterpieces.
I always have said the alien section was the best detailed part of the whole attraction! Really captures the essence and feel of the movie very well!

CJR

While I agree with your logic, the one thing I worry about if whether the decision makers would consider closing this ride due to the costs of operating it -- I would think that with the number of AAs and the fact that CMs are paid to act during the ride makes it somewhat more expensive that most rides (plus, it wouldn't surprise me if the ride vehicles are expensive to maintain). Once other family friendly rides come online, it's possible that this ride might close and changed to something cheaper to operate.

The thing is that it's much cheaper to modify the vehicles than to completely design new ones. It'll possibly become kind of like Universe of Energy at some point, but I don't see them actually gutting the whole thing.

To add, you also said "once other family friendly rides come online", so we're kind of in agreement in a way as the first part of my post did say something similar to that. The first part of my post was based on facts (and probably correct), the second was based on pure speculation (possibly wrong, although I will still be surprised).

ctxak98

They should have had a gift shop with old movie memorabilia and possibly the movies portrayed there. Possibly tie in with TCM and make an exit shop. It could have been a great merchandise seller and something unique to the rest of the parks and resorts.

Skippy's Pal

They should have had a gift shop with old movie memorabilia and possibly the movies portrayed there. Possibly tie in with TCM and make an exit shop. It could have been a great merchandise seller and something unique to the rest of the parks and resorts.

Yeah! And they could name it, I don't know, maybe something like "Sid Cahuenga's One of a Kind" or something.

Mike S

I always have said the alien section was the best detailed part of the whole attraction! Really captures the essence and feel of the movie very well!
Ever notice the sound of a cat meowing when you enter the scene or the drinking bird? Talk about little details.

MonorailMan

GMR will always be around. The ride is a popular one in fact but just needs a good refurbishment to brush off some of the dust from way back when. If Disney updated some of the scenes to be more recent movies, that would be great for the ride. As said above, the Chinese Theater is an icon of Hollywood Studios and the park would not be complete without it.

In the event that Disney does permanently remove the GMR, it won't happen soon. Disney has so much work going on in HS right now (and planned/rumored for the future) that they can't afford (in regard crowds and attraction wait times) to have any more projects going on/attractions closed.

ctxak98

Ever notice the sound of a cat meowing when you enter the scene or the drinking bird? Talk about little details.
The fact that they had the same alert sound is just enough for me! Lighting. Smoke, and sound is what made that movie scary in the first place. Brought to life that portion of the ride scared the crap out me when I was little!

DManRightHere

I can agree and disagree on costs. I believe they only run 3 vehicles at the most, so paying cast members I don't think is a major issue, the biggest costs are the fire effects (which could be updated with a non fuel source if they really wanted to), and cooling such a massive building. I've never realized how large the show building is until recently.

I wouldn't be surprised with any decision Disney would make to shut down or retheme GMR (because of poor maelstrom), but i find it unlikely as they just shut down backlot tour. They have plenty of room to add attraction/land for now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom