Great Movie Ride to Close?

danlb_2000

Premium Member

AEfx

They just filed a permit for "Show set installation" for this ride (don't know exactly what that will be) so it doesn't sound like it's going anywhere anytime soon. Not to mention the fact that that article is from back in May.

That's interesting. :)

I don't follow the whole permit thing very often - I didn't realize they had to file one to do something like that.

Do they have to do this every time they change something out, even minor, or does this signal something a bit larger?

MerlinTheGoat

WDW ill needs the loss of yet another classic Disney style E ticket like this (one with elaborate sets, animatronics etc), especially one with no height limit. If done properly then i'd be for an upgrade with newer and/or better scenes, but the core ride needs to be kept. Getting rid of it would be like losing Spaceship Earth to a roller coaster (thank god the building there turned out to be unsuitable for such a thing, too bad we ended up losing the other three big ones in that park).

There's no reason to tear this ride down because of space issues, while the park is far from the largest Disney park ever it STILL has a ton of space they're squandering currently and they should expand in those places.

That's interesting. :)

I don't follow the whole permit thing very often - I didn't realize they had to file one to do something like that.

Do they have to do this every time they change something out, even minor, or does this signal something a bit larger?
It depends on the nature of the permit i'd imagine. They filed permits for the recent incredibly minor and barely noticeable alterations to Peter Pan's queue (which led people to think it might get a new queue but so far nothing there). But i'm interested that this is referencing show set installation. Sounds like something more related to the ride itself, though again could be something minor behind the scenes.

RSoxNo1

Jim Hill indicated a little while ago that Great Movie Ride was on the chopping block as part of the DHS/DHA overhaul, but it would be among the last things to go.

Consider the rest of this pure speculation. I could see it gutted and possibly knocked down in order to make Pixar Place wider, then a Pixar attraction using part of (if not all of) that space.

tigger1968

I love GMR. It's one of my favorite attractions at DHS. But I have to admit it's become very dated. I would love to see it get a really nice update. Of course...given the current course TDO seems to be following, I am pretty sure it's not going to happen anytime soon. Maybe that's for the best...it would probably end up just being filled with clips and scenes from Frozen, Star Wars, and the Marvel Universe...:rolleyes:

AEfx

Jim Hill indicated a little while ago that Great Movie Ride was on the chopping block as part of the DHS/DHA overhaul, but it would be among the last things to go.

Consider the rest of this pure speculation. I could see it gutted and possibly knocked down in order to make Pixar Place wider, then a Pixar attraction using part of (if not all of) that space.

Aren't those redundant phrases? :)

Sped2424

As jim hill mentioned the great movie ride is on the chopping block, but not until 2018 I think he said. Due to them being booked for all those dinners they hold inside the ride itself.

dgp602

So, this is just me thinking out loud and looking for clues as to what is too come. If the GMR is removed, demolished or whatever, it would only seem right that the HAT would be removed. Then knowing that the back lot area is being completely re-themed, one would guess that the Mouse Ear Water Tower would go, as I could not see how they would incorporate that into a Star Wars Land/Car Land or whatever new themed goes into that space. Which leaves the question, what is the new park Icon??

Figaro928

So, this is just me thinking out loud and looking for clues as to what is too come. If the GMR is removed, demolished or whatever, it would only seem right that the HAT would be removed. Then knowing that the back lot area is being completely re-themed, one would guess that the Mouse Ear Water Tower would go, as I could not see how they would incorporate that into a Star Wars Land/Car Land or whatever new themed goes into that space. Which leaves the question, what is the new park Icon??

the last man standing....

dinosaur_gerties.jpg

...or, you know, the Tower of Terror...

Macca250

I'd keep the hat, just shift it from its current (extremely stupid/short sighted) location.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom