Great Movie Ride change

Valawen9

Original Poster
So I was on it today and I noticed that the Narnia, PotC, and Nemo scenes weren't included in the little tribute movie at the end of the ride. Instead there was something from Independence Day, The Lion King, and something else I think. Is this the old one they used to show or what's the deal with that?

colav10

According to Screamscape:

Park News - (3/23/07) Fans of the Great Movie Ride make take interest in this little tidbit. It seems that the film used for the ride’s final scene broke beyond repair on Tuesday and until a print of the film can be shipped in from California, they are using the older 1999 version of the film. So if you want to see it one more time, get out to the park ASAP before the new print arrives. It’s worth noting that apparently they are still using the current version’s audio track however, so some of the action is out of sync. Of course, that’s nothing new for the Studios… I believe that for the entire 5.5 years I lived in Orlando every single Star Tours cabin seemed to be running out of sync with the audio as well whenever I rode. Why Disney hasn’t evolved to use Digital Video systems for their attractions by now is beyond me.

Hope this answers your question!

goofyfan13

Yea, just saw that news on screamscape and was wondering what was on the movie since it's been so long. :wave: Thanks for the clue in.

Thurp

I'm surprised that considering the size of WDW, a lot of those things are not done here and instead still handled on the other coast.

imamouse

Separate but related topic....

During the 1st week of March, the story line of the GMR was the gangster taking over the tram. On Sun, Mar 2, the car was even working (coming out of the "alley" - gun fire ensues, then retreats). On Friday, Mar 9, the car wasn't moving anymore - it just sat in view, but played its role in the gun fight.

On Wed, Mar 14, the story line was the western hold-up, complete with fire effect. I hadn't seen the cowboy version in a long time. Do they swap between the story lines on a regular basis?

CaptainMichael

The Disney-MGM Studios is a sad representation of a Disney Theme Park...seriously.

People give DCA and WDSP alot of flack, but is DMGM really that much better? No, and it's been open much longer.

Valawen9

Original Poster
Separate but related topic....

During the 1st week of March, the story line of the GMR was the gangster taking over the tram. On Sun, Mar 2, the car was even working (coming out of the "alley" - gun fire ensues, then retreats). On Friday, Mar 9, the car wasn't moving anymore - it just sat in view, but played its role in the gun fight.

On Wed, Mar 14, the story line was the western hold-up, complete with fire effect. I hadn't seen the cowboy version in a long time. Do they swap between the story lines on a regular basis?

Well usually the first two ride vehicles get the cowboy scene, and the back two get the gangster scene. I think that when its not busy though they only run the gangster scene. I could be wrong, but the only times I experience the cowboy scene is when its a busy day and they have 4 ride vehicles in the loading zone.

jmvd20

Well usually the first two ride vehicles get the cowboy scene, and the back two get the gangster scene. I think that when its not busy though they only run the gangster scene. I could be wrong, but the only times I experience the cowboy scene is when its a busy day and they have 4 ride vehicles in the loading zone.

I didn't even know there was a cowboy scene, we have had the gangster scene every time we have rode recently. We normally go during the off season when it is slow, maybe that is why.

Figments Friend

I'm glad this topic has been brought up ( even though it goes slightly off topic..lol..)..as i was at D/MGM last week and was telling a friend who has not been to TGMR in some time about the two different "live" show skits.

He could'nt beleive there was actually a Western skit, as everytime he has rode it, he has seen the Ganster one. I was telling him about how some things factor into if you get to see it or not... such as crowds, time of year, how many cars are being used, etc. I told him to always ask a CM and they will usually grant your request and seat you in the first car to see the Western bit.

While we were there we rode, as there was actually a good size line and i thought we had a good chance of seeing the Western skit. I have not seen the Western myself since 1989..as all the other trips i have taken were Off-Season ( aks Slow!) and only the Gansters were active.

We finally reached the load, and i aksed the CM if the Western show was running and if we could be seated in the appropriate car. Unfortunately they were not running the Western at that time, but sounded like they were earlier in the day. Shucks! Oh well..maybe next time!

I am glad to hear that the fire effect is still used. I had been wondering about that for some time, as Post 9/11 i had heard they stopped using the flames due to Guest complaints ..( buildings on fire...etc.).

One of these times i WILL get to see the Western again!

JCAEdge21

I didn't even know there was a cowboy scene, we have had the gangster scene every time we have rode recently. We normally go during the off season when it is slow, maybe that is why.

I'm pretty sure you are right, in that they only operate the western side during busy seasons. When I went down for a week in January, they only ran the gangster scene sequence. But when I went back in February for President's week, they were running both sides/sequences of GMR, even though I only got too see the gangster scene.

Rob562

If only one scene is running, it's the Gangster scene for the simple reason that it's cheaper to operate. :) The fire effect costs money, whereas the Gangster scene doesn't have an effect like that, just the bullet hits, which are simple little puffs of smoke or water mist.

-Rob

Valawen9

Original Poster
If only one scene is running, it's the Gangster scene for the simple reason that it's cheaper to operate. :) The fire effect costs money, whereas the Gangster scene doesn't have an effect like that, just the bullet hits, which are simple little puffs of smoke or water mist.

-Rob

I figured that was the reason.

Valawen9

Original Poster
There's a Western scenario? Please describe...I've never seen this.

Its pretty much the same as the gangster except you're in the western set and its a cowboy that gets in the ride with you instead of the gangster. Apparently he was trying to rob the bank so your guide gets out to stop him. There's "gunfire" and what not, a building randomnly bursts into flames, and you're out of there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom