Great Movie Ride change

jmvd20

The vehicles are driven at differing speeds at different times. At the start, the Cowboy vehicle goes through the first couple scenes a little faster than Gangster in order to pull ahead. By the time the Gangster cars reach the Gangster scene, the Cowboy cars have already pulled through.
The Cowboy scene is a little shorter to play than Gangster, so by the time the hiijacked Gangster cars pull into the Western scene, the Western cars are gone.
The Cowboy cars then cruise through Alien and Indy pretty fast, while Gangster goes through them fairly slowly. After the Cowboy cars are reunitied with their Guide, they pull out quickly and then slow down and crawl slowly through Tarzan and Casablanca. Behind them, the Gangster set of cars pulls in and reunites the Guide, and then drive through Tarzan and Casablanca fairly quickly. If all is timed properly, the Gangster (sans Gangster) cars catch up to the Cowboy (sans Caowboy) around Casablanca or Mickey. They then pull into Munchkinland together.

-Rob

Sounds like you have been on this ride at least once or twice before. I never noticed or just didn't pay any attention to what the carsin front of us were doing. I am still trying to figue out how I have never seen the cowboy scene though, I have been on that ride about once a year since it opened?????

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If you do the gangster scene, the next scene is the Wild West bank scene - though you just ride through without stopping. It looks like an empty set.

Jerm

I prefer the original one (video). the current one just stinks..i am sorry if i am nitpicking but it feels out of place..all over the place. narnia is not worthy of any such tribute as far as i am concerned. and some clips used are obscure and random (finding nemo for example)

Yes indeed Honey I shrunk the Kids is a much more worthy film of such a tribute?!?!?!? And yes Nemo is obscure and random :brick: All the stuff they added in is great, as long as they keep the real classic films in they can add what ever they like to the little snipit parts.

We'll be going to WDW again the first week of August. Does anyone know if they may be playing the cowboy scene will be playing?

You can ask before you go in if it is going. Most of the time you have to be in the front cars to see the OLD WEST scene, they are for sure not Cowboys. But some times you need to go later in the day to catch it when they have more of a queue.

J

jmvd20

If you do the gangster scene, the next scene is the Wild West bank scene - though you just ride through without stopping. It looks like an empty set.

I can remember the western scene, just never got to see the actual show in that area. I still can't believe I never even knew that there were 2 different versions. It makes perfect sense with what you said about it being an empty set, I just never paid attention to it before.

Just when I thought I knew everything there is to know about WDW, I learn something else here on this website - does that mean that I now know more than everything, or just think that I know more than everything :shrug:

:D

RiversideBunny

Does anyone think that they could use a different movie montage in the waiting area, maybe one that is longer so you don't see the same thing over again?
Seems like it could be better somehow.

Also- I would suggest that they pipe the smell of popcorn into the ride, at least at the beginning. I really enjoy the GMR but I always wonder where the popcorn is.
Maybe they could paint the ride vehicles to look like popcorn boxes. Currently they are sort of plain.

:king:

zao

I rode the great movie ride 2-3 days ago and I didn't notice anything different because it was only my 2nd time. However the ride did get delayed right after all the munchkins stopped singing in wizard of oz room... and the guide said "itll be a second some munchkins are crossing in front of us" it was kinda funny. But my gf did notice that they were using the old film, so i'll have to tell her the logic behind that. Also I agree they need to make the movie in the queue a little longer.... I've only been on it twice, but both times it has almost repeated itself over. I wouldnt appreciate the place smelling of popcorn though.

Valawen9

Original Poster
The bank erupts in flames because the Cowboy lights a bundle of dynamite and tosses it in the bank.

Ah ok. :lol: I never understood why it burst out like that. I always thought a cowboy just shot the building with a gun and suddenly it caught fire. lol

~Tinkerbell~

Well, I've found this thread quite interesting! It's interesting to read about them having to use the old film - and I never knew there was a western version of the ride!

MJMcBride

Dinosaur is so much fun! I love that ride. I remember the first time I went on it.

I agree. I always thought that was an underrated/underappreciated ride. Back in 1999, I went on it 8 times in a week. Must say I prefer the name "Countdown to Extinction" though

ToTBellHop

But it is getting better, and they are doing it a lot faster then DCA.

J
It is? DCA got its Tower of Terror for its 3rd birthday (and Flik's Fun Faire before that, which is well-themed even if there is nothing for adults). Then they got their Monsters Inc. ride little over a year ago. WDSP is getting its ToT in time for its 6th birthday...plus a cheap spinning ride themed to Cars and an off-the-shelf roller coaster that, while themed, will not be very ground-breaking. Even with the track extension, Crush's Coaster will be about 2 minutes long with very low hourly capacity and a track layout that, while fun, will end up being too intense for lots of guests. Meanwhile DCA has much more in the works.

frankd1962

Maybe the wrong thread to say it in but since it was brought up. Why it seems that DL & DCA are getting a lot of the good stuff is that many people feel that there isn't much to the original Disney property so why go there when you have WDW?

I have a feeling that is what's going through the minds of the upper management. Get the public back to the original theme park by giving it things that will draw people there.

Jerm

It is? DCA got its Tower of Terror for its 3rd birthday (and Flik's Fun Faire before that, which is well-themed even if there is nothing for adults). Then they got their Monsters Inc. ride little over a year ago. WDSP is getting its ToT in time for its 6th birthday...plus a cheap spinning ride themed to Cars and an off-the-shelf roller coaster that, while themed, will not be very ground-breaking. Even with the track extension, Crush's Coaster will be about 2 minutes long with very low hourly capacity and a track layout that, while fun, will end up being too intense for lots of guests. Meanwhile DCA has much more in the works.

Yes Dca got it much faster but DSP has a better theme and more of the details that I have seen (never been to DSP). DCA is getting TSM which will be a great help, but DSP is going through a face lift right now with the place making that DCA was supposed to get. I would not say that DCA is not a good park, it is just more of the off the shelf stuff they opened with where DSP opened with some stuff of it's own plus some of the reused stuff from MGM. The grass is always greener on the other side of the ocean...till you have been there I am sure.

J

Figments Friend

Here's something else i remember about the GMR: The first Scene used to be far more entertaining. "Footlight Follies" is it? The huge early musical movie scene that is recreated in the GMR as your vehicle first passes the neon marquee. The girls are all arranged in a cake-like shape with bubbles floating about and that grey sceen.

Originally when this ride opened this was ALL animated and moving as most of the ladies were Audio Animatronics. The 'cake' also rotated around, and some additional figures did a trick of some sort from the film. I forget where recently i read about this...but basically it was a lot more impressive back in the day. Gradually all the ladies and the turning "cake" were turned off...and other effects in that scene were also discontinued. The cause was said to be costs, and possible damage being done by the movement of the huge AA infested "cake". True?

Can anyone shed more light on this? Did i read this right...? I think i remember back in 89' when i first rode the "Footlight..' scene was very alive and impressive when you first rode in that room. Now it seems so dull and stagnent, as none of the figures are moving!

RSoxNo1

FF,
Yeah, the cake did rotate, I don't remember the ladies dancing though. IMO, I think the Footlight Parade, Alien, and Tarzan scenes need to be removed and replaced with other movies. Pirates of the Caribbean would be a logical fit, but it does have it's own attraction.

ToTBellHop

FF,
Yeah, the cake did rotate, I don't remember the ladies dancing though. IMO, I think the Footlight Parade, Alien, and Tarzan scenes need to be removed and replaced with other movies. Pirates of the Caribbean would be a logical fit, but it does have it's own attraction.
aw...I like Alien. The other two I could do without, though...especially Tarzan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom