Grand Floridian Resort restaurants, shops and courtyard pool to close for refurbishment this year

dnscbus

I called Disney today, and the refurbs really shouldn't intrude too much on everyone's stay. At least that's what they are saying.

We're going there in mid-sept and are getting 40% off the room (not cause of the refurb though). I was nervous about the construction before these new refurbs were annouced, but at this point to rearrange the whole trip would be such a hassle. We wanted the Floridian in order to have a shorter trip to our beds after Fireworks Party and MNSSHP. Still not sure it's worth the cost, but why not give it a shot!

Anyone remember "Frankie say relax"

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I called Disney today, and the refurbs really shouldn't intrude too much on everyone's stay. At least that's what they are saying.

We're going there in mid-sept and are getting 40% off the room (not cause of the refurb though). I was nervous about the construction before these new refurbs were annouced, but at this point to rearrange the whole trip would be such a hassle. We wanted the Floridian in order to have a shorter trip to our beds after Fireworks Party and MNSSHP. Still not sure it's worth the cost, but why not give it a shot!

I think it all depends on what you want out of your resort stay. If the pool, restaurants, shop, and the beach construction are not a factor in your stay, then it is no problem. For a lot of people who are in the parks all the time, that is the case. But if you are more of the type of guest who stays around the resort a lot, and makes use of all of the facilities onsite, it could be more of an issue.

WDWFigment

I find it hard to believe that all of these things won't "intrude too much on everyone's stay." I think that's Disney trying to downplay the construction to keep bookings high at the GF or not deal with having to move people to other resorts.

If all of those amenities don't matter, why stay at the GF in the first place? If you're only or mostly concerned with location, Contemporary has a better location for a lower price.

I'd be moving to a different hotel if I were visiting during this time and had a stay at the GF booked. Save that resort for after the refurbishments.

Mrsdonaldduck

November for me and I feel the same way. I may call to find out options for the other monorail resorts. 2 kids under 3 so we want the monorail for stroller and MK proximity.
Us to 3 kids under 7 going to gf in August just in time for pool and counter
Service closure :(

Mrsdonaldduck

I think it all depends on what you want out of your resort stay. If the pool, restaurants, shop, and the beach construction are not a factor in your stay, then it is no problem. For a lot of people who are in the parks all the time, that is the case. But if you are more of the type of guest who stays around the resort a lot, and makes use of all of the facilities onsite, it could be more of an issue.
How did you get 40 percent room discount????

hollywoodj

At this point, if I were staying during those dates, I'd avoid the Poly and GF altogether. My choice would be WL, but there is also the Contemporary, if you really want the monorail convenience.

rudyjr13

How does the beach pool look and sound with the DVC construction next door?

Going in Nov I'm more concerned with Gasparilla being closed since that was to factor heavily in our dining plans especially lunch. As long as the options mentioned are viable it should be ok. Nov weather sounds iffy for pool time.

jmorri26

I called reservations and the hotel directly and was told the same by both (which I already assumed, but just for everyone mentioning it): Yes all this stuff is closed, yes you can change your reservation without penalty 45 day prior to a different hotel (and at reservations she said she's has a few who have already to Poly) no they will not discount or upgrade because of the inconvenience. She said the logic is that they go out of their way to accommodate the changes so it "shouldn't affect your experience."
For Gasparilla's being closed, Mizner's Lounge and the Pool Bar will have *some* quick service options. She said in the past for similar things they do have certain hot meal options, but it's very limited. (So sounds like expect a warming tray with stale Mickey Waffles off to the side for purchase!)
The woman at the GF desk said the DVC construction "doesn't at all affect the beach pool or rooms with views of that area" which we've already had people say just the opposite. So yea.

In either case, both people I spoke to had no clue about the construction beyond the previously scheduled spa renovation and when I asked them to double check, both found info on it after digging around a bit. So, no, the guests staying during these times are not being informed (I wasn't) and sounds like the CM's were hardly informed!

dnscbus

I find it hard to believe that all of these things won't "intrude too much on everyone's stay." I think that's Disney trying to downplay the construction to keep bookings high at the GF or not deal with having to move people to other resorts.

You mean Disney would mislead me to make more money! Say it ain't so.

If all of those amenities don't matter, why stay at the GF in the first place? If you're only or mostly concerned with location, Contemporary has a better location for a lower price.

I'll check into that cause you may be right. We stayed at the Poly once and frankly I didn't think the monorail was that helpful at that location. Since we are doing the Halloween Party and Fireworks Party on back to back nights with relatively young kids, I don't want a long commute back to the hotel. I thought the Floridian would be a nice splurge, but maybe I would be better off elsewhere. The Contemporary though seems to lack style and looks like the 70s version of the future, but that's just me. I have been considering the Yacht Club, but then we'd have a really late night for the Halloween Party. I guess I was partly trying to convince myself in my first post to not switch, but it seems like everyone believes otherwise.

I'd be moving to a different hotel if I were visiting during this time and had a stay at the GF booked. Save that resort for after the refurbishments.

This is probably our last trip since the Navy is going to transfer us sometime in the fall to who knows where. So I can't really wait for next time to try this resort. Have you stayed at the Floridian? Did you like it? Can you compare it to the Yacht Club?

dnscbus

See, I think that is us. The resort really doesn't matter too much cause we stay in the parks pretty much all day except for maybe an afternoon break to cool off or nap. So maybe we'll be alright. I don't know, and I am nervous and may be disappointed, but I think, unless a truly better option presents itself, we'll just stick with the Flordian. Maybe.

Biff215

This is probably our last trip since the Navy is going to transfer us sometime in the fall to who knows where. So I can't really wait for next time to try this resort. Have you stayed at the Floridian? Did you like it? Can you compare it to the Yacht Club?

I've stayed at both the GF and YC/BC. For my tastes, I would choose YC/BC every time. The GF certainly has the grander lobby, but let's be honest, most guest don't even stay in the main building there. That's one huge thing I really like about YC/BC. All rooms are connected to the main building, so in bad weather you can still walk down to get something to eat or go to the arcade. Stormalong Bay clearly blows away any of the pool offerings at GF, even after the construction. And walking access to Epcot is even better for me than the monorail, after all, you can also take a boat to DHS and the monorail to MK if you really wanted to (through Epcot).

I would recommend YC/BC over GF even without any construction. With the mess going on at GF, it's wouldn't even be a question for me. Just my opinion though, there are probably those who only stay at GF. Nice resort, just lacks the magic for me.

Mrsdonaldduck

If CM means cast member, you'd be wrong. I'm not sure if it was due to being Florida Resident, Passholder or Military; but we could get 40% off any deluxe and 35% on a moderate, I think.
Hmmmmmm that is awesome good for you! That would make the rehabs a little easier to tolerate. Have a good vaca!

tikiman

I called reservations and the hotel directly and was told the same by both (which I already assumed, but just for everyone mentioning it): Yes all this stuff is closed, yes you can change your reservation without penalty 45 day prior to a different hotel (and at reservations she said she's has a few who have already to Poly) no they will not discount or upgrade because of the inconvenience. She said the logic is that they go out of their way to accommodate the changes so it "shouldn't affect your experience."
For Gasparilla's being closed, Mizner's Lounge and the Pool Bar will have *some* quick service options. She said in the past for similar things they do have certain hot meal options, but it's very limited. (So sounds like expect a warming tray with stale Mickey Waffles off to the side for purchase!)
The woman at the GF desk said the DVC construction "doesn't at all affect the beach pool or rooms with views of that area" which we've already had people say just the opposite. So yea.

In either case, both people I spoke to had no clue about the construction beyond the previously scheduled spa renovation and when I asked them to double check, both found info on it after digging around a bit. So, no, the guests staying during these times are not being informed (I wasn't) and sounds like the CM's were hardly informed!

Well anyone who moves over to the Polynesian next year could be in for a surprise. Work on the hot tub and new rooms will start the end of this year and into next. Doing the rooms will mean whole longhouses are walled off for a month or two at a time. Club level will be unavailable (other than suites) January and February and maybe part of march. The GCH will be redone in stages and I am guessing that might start next year. I hear some major work on the volcano pool might happen next year and close it for months. The first phase of DVC will start at some point maybe 2014 or 2015.

Calling reservations is not a good way to get info on anything. Most of the time they are not told of the construction until the day it begins. Also they are not going to make it sound like it’s a big deal because they want you to book rooms.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom