Grand Floridian or Contemporary? Need Advice

DisneylandRRGuy

Grand Floridian or Poly? Need Advice?

I need some advice for which hotel to pick. I am a Disneyland vet. Been to WDW a few times, and stayed at the Port Orleans Riverside last time. Currently I have reservations at the Contemporary in the garden wing, however I want to paprose to my girlfriend when I am in WDW in September. I want to make this trip as special as possible. I have dinner reservations both at Victoria and Alberts and at the California Grill right now.

My question is which is better to pick?

Should I stay where I am at?

Should I move up to the tower and get a MK View?

Should I do half and half? (stay half at the Contempoary and half with the Grand Flordian?)

Or should I stay at the Grand Flordian?

At the GF what is the best KING ROOM there and what is the room number? Or one with a Jacuzzi tub?

Thank you so much if I could get some advice

lbrad

I have not stayed at either resort:( they are a little out of my frugal price range... BUT they are both gorgeous!!!
CR seems to have more hustle & bustle but can be romantic. I did Chef Mickey's...good but loud. I am going to Cali Grill 6/26 with my DH...Can't wait!!! WISHES!!!
GF seems more sophisticated. I've eaten at Narccoossee's & 1900 Park Fare. Both were superb! The grounds are so pretty at GF I'm leaning towards GF. You can lounge in a hammock at the beach or walk along the beach at night.
Truly it wouldn't matter where I stayed so long as I was with my prince:king:

You can't go wrong:sohappy:

PS How long is your trip? I'm not a big fan of changing resorts. I prefer to stay put once I have "set-up camp"

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
You can't go wrong with either. Walking to MK from Contemporary is great, the grounds ambiance and activities of GF are also special.

You didn't say how long you were visiting for...but switching between the resorts is not a bad option. I personally don't care for the garden wings, and would want the tower if I were staying at Contemporary. If you do switch, you can arrange to have all of your luggage transferred, so you leave for the park and just show up at your new location later in the day.

Oh, and before I forget...congratulations!!!

Dinner at V&A and Cali Grill....great choices! Are you considering popping the question at one of them? I'm sure either could help incorporate the ring/proposal into the evening...like with dessert?

From GF, you can easily walk to the Poly and enjoy that area, there is the Spa...possibly arrange for a nice massage for your girlfriend. Narcoossee's and Citrico's are also very nice restaurants.

Upvote 0

DisneylandRRGuy

Original Poster
You can't go wrong with either. Walking to MK from Contemporary is great, the grounds ambiance and activities of GF are also special.

You didn't say how long you were visiting for...but switching between the resorts is not a bad option. I personally don't care for the garden wings, and would want the tower if I were staying at Contemporary. If you do switch, you can arrange to have all of your luggage transferred, so you leave for the park and just show up at your new location later in the day.

Oh, and before I forget...congratulations!!!

Dinner at V&A and Cali Grill....great choices! Are you considering popping the question at one of them? I'm sure either could help incorporate the ring/proposal into the evening...like with dessert?

From GF, you can easily walk to the Poly and enjoy that area, there is the Spa...possibly arrange for a nice massage for your girlfriend. Narcoossee's and Citrico's are also very nice restaurants.

I will be staying 8 nights. September 8th through the 16th
I would like to pop the question at Victoria and Alberts. Already been trying to figer that out.

How do i go about asking to transfer my luggage from one hotel to another.

At the GF what is the best KING ROOM there and what is the room number

Again everyone thank you for your help.

Upvote 0

DisneylandRRGuy

Original Poster
I have not stayed at either resort:( they are a little out of my frugal price range... BUT they are both gorgeous!!!
CR seems to have more hustle & bustle but can be romantic. I did Chef Mickey's...good but loud. I am going to Cali Grill 6/26 with my DH...Can't wait!!! WISHES!!!
GF seems more sophisticated. I've eaten at Narccoossee's & 1900 Park Fare. Both were superb! The grounds are so pretty at GF I'm leaning towards GF. You can lounge in a hammock at the beach or walk along the beach at night.
Truly it wouldn't matter where I stayed so long as I was with my prince:king:

You can't go wrong:sohappy:

PS How long is your trip? I'm not a big fan of changing resorts. I prefer to stay put once I have "set-up camp"

Ohh didnt know about the hammock at the GF

Upvote 0

nolatron

Go with the Grand Floridian. We stayed there once and it's a fantastic hotel. We loved our room over looking the lagoon.

As for a Jacuzzi in the room, you'll need to book one of the jacuzzi honeymoon suites for that.

You also can't request a particular room number, only a room with a king-size bed.

Upvote 0

JustPlainBill

Go with GF.

If your planning anything romantic, between the two resorts GF is your best choice, in my opinion of course.

We just stayed at the Contemporary last summer, while the view from our MK tower room was great, the hotel just doesn't do anything for me on the romantic side. The overall theme and decor of the room just doesn't support it. While the victorian elegance of the GF does. The next time we go to WDW in a couple of years we're thinking of doing the GF again, but we may try the WL for the first time instead.

Good Luck! No matter which you choose, I'm sure you'll be happy.

Upvote 0

yankspy

I would like to pop the question at Victoria and Alberts. Already been trying to figer that out.

You call bell services and explain to them that you want to transfer your luggage to the other hotel. I have done this once or twice. It's pretty seamless. The last time we did it we checked out in the morning, left our bags in the room and told them where we were going and that night we got back from the park to our new hotel and our bags were there.

I would just stay at the GF. I stayed there in 03 and it was great.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy

You should make all of your preferences known when making the reservation. Be sure to make a printout of this and follow up at check in.

For dinner at V&A's, you make your reservation on a dedicated line, and go through a series of questions (unlike any average dining reservation). You will be getting a personalized menu, so unless you want the question asked early, you may not want to say that the meal is for an engagement. While talking with the reservation person, they should be able to help you with planning of the proposal including having a special dessert presented, having them present the ring in a pre-arranged fashion etc. They have done it a number of times and can probably make some good suggestions as well.

If you are not that familiar with WDW, consider contacting KingdomKonsultants for help with the reservation. They are long time sponsors and friends to this site and come with great recommendations. They can help with all these details and would have great suggestions for you as well. They can plan as much or as little as you want. [there is no additional cost for their services either!]

I may be wrong, but the only jacuzzi rooms that I know of are either suites or associated with DVC properties.

For transfer of the luggage, just arrange it at the front desk the evening before, leave your bags in the room and they will magically be moved the following day.

Upvote 0

addcogulf

The atmosphere at the GF is both romantic and sophisicated, and you can walk along the beach with the fireworks in the background when you propose, but if the GF is a bit out of your league, the Contemporary resort is also quite nice. I would get a tower room, where you can sit on your balcony with the fireworks, or at lease the water pageant if you cant afford the MKview{because the water pageant is very nice also] and champagneand have a very romantic moment together. The garden rooms are nice, but the beach at the CR is not as romantic as the GF. And I would book whichever resort I could stay at for the entire stay, because there is nothing less romantic than packing up and moving to a different resort in the middle of your stay. Have you thought about the Poly Resort? That resort costs less than GF, but is very romantic, with beautiful beaches, and the lighting with the real flame torches at night cant be beat!! Plus, O'Hanas is a great resturant, and you can get a :wave:table at the window during the fireworks. Poly is great!!

Upvote 0

DisneyWood

Poly?

I need some advice for which hotel to pick. I am a Disneyland vet. Been to WDW a few times, and stayed at the Port Orleans Riverside last time. Currently I have reservations at the Contemporary in the garden wing, however I want to paprose to my girlfriend when I am in WDW in September. I want to make this trip as special as possible. I have dinner reservations both at Victoria and Alberts and at the California Grill right now.

My question is which is better to pick? I would recommend the Polynesian

Should I stay where I am at? No

Should I move up to the tower and get a MK View? If you do stay, I don't think it is worth the extra money.

Should I do half and half? (stay half at the Contempoary and half with the Grand Flordian?)

Or should I stay at the Grand Flordian? Polynesian may be a little more romantic, since you are proposing to your girlfriend

At the GF what is the best KING ROOM there and what is the room number? Or one with a Jacuzzi tub?

Thank you so much if I could get some advice

Having stayed @ the Contemporary, I would definitely recommend staying elsewhere. It wasn't that our experience was bad, I just felt that our family would have been better served @ Polynesian (and it actually would have been cheaper to stay there, than the MK Tower room).

I haven't stayed @ either place (GF or Poly), but have been in both, and it just seems like the Poly is more romantic IMHO. Anywho, that is my worthless 2 cents.

Good luck & congrats. I hope it goes well, and it is a tremendous trip. Thanks.

Upvote 0

KaliSplash

Go with the Grand Floridian and request one of their honeymoon suites, if available. Unsure about jacuzzi. If the honeymoon suites are not available, just request a lagoon view room. The atmosphere is considerably more romantic at GF than at Contemporary.

Having said that, if you decide to stay at Contemporary, try to get MK view in the Tower.

V&A definitely the place to pop the question. As suggested above, they should be able to help with the details.

But worst case scenario, you'll have a blast at either location!

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
I have stayed at both resorts and the Grand Floridian would be my choice. It is a beautiful resort inside and out. If you do stay there go with a lagoon view if you can or if you want to really splurge they have a great concierge level!

If you want to go to Victoria and Alberts I do suggest making those reservations asap. And if you do go there try to get the chefs table! If for some reason you cannot get into V&A then I would go with Narcoosees and ask for a window seat at the podium. You can contact either restaurant ahead of time to let them know you plan on popping the question.

Good Luck and Congratulations!!

Pam

Upvote 0

JimJam

If you have kids, definately contemporary. but if not try grand floridian. they both are amazing. it also depends when you are staying. summer = contemporary, winter = grand floridian........

Upvote 0

DisneylandRRGuy

Original Poster
The atmosphere at the GF is both romantic and sophisicated, and you can walk along the beach with the fireworks in the background when you propose, but if the GF is a bit out of your league, the Contemporary resort is also quite nice. I would get a tower room, where you can sit on your balcony with the fireworks, or at lease the water pageant if you cant afford the MKview{because the water pageant is very nice also] and champagneand have a very romantic moment together. The garden rooms are nice, but the beach at the CR is not as romantic as the GF. And I would book whichever resort I could stay at for the entire stay, because there is nothing less romantic than packing up and moving to a different resort in the middle of your stay. Have you thought about the Poly Resort? That resort costs less than GF, but is very romantic, with beautiful beaches, and the lighting with the real flame torches at night cant be beat!! Plus, O'Hanas is a great resturant, and you can get a :wave:table at the window during the fireworks. Poly is great!!

Is the Poly better than the Contempoary?

Ok did some changes and going with the Poly and Grand. However should I get a spa treatment for her while at the Grand?

Upvote 0

DisneyWood

Is the Poly better than the Contempoary?

Ok did some changes and going with the Poly and Grand. However should I get a spa treatment for her while at the Grand?

I don't think you can go wrong w/ either. Poly just seems more romantic in my opinion, even though I have never stayed there. You are going to have a great time.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom