Grade F for Eisner

ToTBellHop

It would be nice if Disney would pay its Cast Members more, but considering there are 55,000+ of them, it could cost quite a bit of money to do so--you can only do so much if you want to build $100,000,000 attractions and still turn a profit while charging guests as much as the other area parks. If Eisner were to give a million of his own dollars to the cast members, each CM would get less than $20....

Glasgow

It's sort of like pro-athletes. I don't watch pro-sports too much anymore based on the fact the make so much money and it's sort of surreal to think they make that much .. BUT .. if I was that talented and they offered to pay me that much I certainly wouldn't turn them down. :animwink:

I guess my point is it's easy to be critical until you're the one at the top. As long as he's doing a good job then maybe he should be getting paid well .. if the stockholders deem otherwise then they can get a new CEO.

As far as I can tell they ARE making an effort to put in new attractions over the next few years

Shaman

Originally posted by WDW John
Yeah, it's funny. When Eisner gets the credit for a great attraction, some people get upset saying he had nothing to do with it but to sign his name, the Imagineers should get the credit. But when those same people don't like an attraction (JIYI comes to mind) they point the finger at Eisner, not the Imagineers.

Sure, Eisner has to approve, but it is still the job of the Imagineers to create something we will want to visit, whether the final result is good or bad.

The Imagineers can not be blamed for the disaster that is the new JIYI, don't forget Eisner was the one who approved the budget for this and all rides that are built. The Imagineers, I'm sure come up with all types of great rides which end up being too costly, in the eyes of Eisner and his possy (and don't forget the accountants), and so they cut the budget for the rides. Both Eisner for cutting the budget and the Imagineers for not being able to work with the budget are to blame. (But hey, I bet the Imagineers are sick and tired of all the budget cutting on their rides).

On another note, I'm sure not everything at Disney is Eisner's fault and yeah he did make Disney a great company. But to say that things are still OK is wrong. Alot of things have happened in the last couple of years, which have been out of everyone's control, but Disney has managed to weather the storm (so far), and yeah I'm sure Eisner deserves some credit for that. One of Disney's biggest problems is that perhaps its expansion is the cause of today's troubles, MAYBE THEY'RE JUST TOO BIG OF A COMPANY.

Personally, I just want to look foward and not at the past; and I hope, most of all that Disney will still be that great company with those awesome parks with or without Eisner. Just my opinion.

:lookaroun

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
So what credit DOES Eisner deserve?

Making statements like that are just silly. It's similar to saying something like "George Bush wasn't out there fighting, he doesn't deserve any credit."

People need to realize that it's NOT Eisner's job to come up with ground breaking ride designs. It IS his job to green light projects that he feels will work they way WDW needs to draw crowds. He makes these decisions based on what he is being told by his advisors. Just as Bush doesn't go blow up tanks, he does have to authorize the moves made by the military to attain their objectives based on what he is told and the overall mission.

Of course Eisner didn't think of Expedition EVEREST. But, do you think that the CEO of AOL/Time-Warner is doing cover design and writing articles and creating on-line content? I'll give you a hint: No.

You took my quote out of context (You only focused on my last two sentences, which were an attempt at humor).

I wasn't claiming that it was Eisner's job to come up with the ideas. I was simply responding to two separate posts on this thread which both stated that Eisner came up with the idea for Splash Mountain. I was setting the record straight and also trying to find out where people are getting that information (because it is not correct).

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
Yeah, it's funny. When Eisner gets the credit for a great attraction, some people get upset saying he had nothing to do with it but to sign his name, the Imagineers should get the credit. But when those same people don't like an attraction (JIYI comes to mind) they point the finger at Eisner, not the Imagineers.

Sure, Eisner has to approve, but it is still the job of the Imagineers to create something we will want to visit, whether the final result is good or bad.

I promise I'm not trying to single you out or pick on you, but I have to ask this. You make the statement that the people who say Eisner doesn't deserve the credit for the great attractions are the "same people" who blame him when they don't like an attraction. My question to you is this: How do you know they are the same people?

Well...Eisner at least suggested that Splash Mountain be named Splash Mountain when the Imagineers were trying to come up with a good name for the attraction. I read this in the Disneyland book "The Nickel Tour".

GoofMaul

Originally posted by blackride
Wether it is morally correct or not the CEO 99% of the time takes FULL responsibility for the company that they are running. They are there to turn a profit and if they dont they are gone, same goes for Disney as with any other company....

You dont hear many CEO's blamming everyone around them when things go badly. This is because it is dealt with internally and if there were problems then there would be changes in managment...

(excuse my bad spelling :) )

This is how it should be in a perfect world. The problem is we don't live in a perfect world. Many CEO's are in good with the boards of their company and still get large bonuses and lavish perks. Since Enron, WorldComm, etc this has been getting better because of the attention it has been getting, but it is still going on. As for not hearing CEO's blamming. Sure they do. I've heard companies blame unfavorable profits on all types of situations some of it is reasonable and true, but some of it is also b.s.

I firmly believe that the pay of upper management should be closely related to the companies performance. If the company is doing extremely well management probably did something right and should be compensated. If the company is doing poorly, management probably screwed up somewhere and management should not be getting large bonuses and maybe should even be canned. Of course, there would need to be board discretion for things that happen out of management's control. But, this system sets up accountability, which seems to be lacking in many companies these days. The company does well and management gets a very large bonus. The company does poorly and management gets a large bonus. Where exactly does management lose here?

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
Originally posted by disneyphilip
Well...Eisner at least suggested that Splash Mountain be named Splash Mountain when the Imagineers were trying to come up with a good name for the attraction. I read this in the Disneyland book "The Nickel Tour".

That's true. That's not the same as "coming up with the idea" though.

WDW John

Originally posted by CHAPPS
My question to you is this: How do you know they are the same people?

It's simple. Read enough of these posts and you will see the same people popping up with the same Eisner attitude over and over again.

You took my quote out of context (You only focused on my last two sentences, which were an attempt at humor).

Sorry. I certainly didn't mean to misinterpret, but with the way this thread is going you can see why I would.

Cheers,

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
It's simple. Read enough of these posts and you will see the same people popping up with the same Eisner attitude over and over again.

Sorry. I certainly didn't mean to misinterpret, but with the way this thread is going you can see why I would.

Cheers,

Good points!

prberk

Originally posted by DogsRule!
It would be nice if Disney would pay its Cast Members more, but considering there are 55,000+ of them, it could cost quite a bit of money to do so--you can only do so much if you want to build $100,000,000 attractions and still turn a profit while charging guests as much as the other area parks. If Eisner were to give a million of his own dollars to the cast members, each CM would get less than $20....

Good thought.

BTW, did you all know that, with those 55k employees, WDW is the United States' largest single-location employer? It beat Ford (Detroit) last year or so...

Anyhoo, sorry for the drift. Just reminded me of it. It also underscores how large a project WDW is.

Woody13

Originally posted by prberk
Good thought.

BTW, did you all know that, with those 55k employees, WDW is the United States' largest single-location employer? It beat Ford (Detroit) last year or so...

Anyhoo, sorry for the drift. Just reminded me of it. It also underscores how large a project WDW is.

Not a drift at all! I thought it was a very good point. Let's not forget that Ford Motor Company is not doing very well. The Walt Disney Company is still in the Dow Jones average. Higher wages for the employees at WDW would not help the company right now.

Epcot is my fav

Original Poster
Originally posted by NakedMickey
He should take some of that extra money and use it to pay the castmembers. One of the funniest I've ever learned (from working at Disney) is that they are the big theme park here in Florida and they pay their castmembers some of the lowest wages. I work at Discovery Cove where it is one of the highest paying theme parks. Same goes for Sea World which also pays high wages and even Universal.

I agree 100%, they need to pay those wonderful CM's more money!!!!!

Blizz

Wow, I missed a lot in a few short days.

A finger can be pointed at Eisner for things like JIYI, because like the full-Eisner supporters have stated he chooses which are good enough to become rides. The imagineers come up with the ideas to save the park/company which in turn saves him from being fired.

So for everyones sake, lets just say its the fault of Eisner for approving bad rides and changes and the imagineers for not coming up with a good plan. But I must say most of the blam is on Eisner because he has to choose what hte public will and wont like. I think Eisner needs an advisor in the parks area, a regular park loving Joe, who can speek for the majority of the public.

Its true that the CM's are way way way underpaid for a job such as dealing with the vacation going public. I also think that it must have been jaw drooping when the animators salaries were dropped from $200,000 a year to $100,00 a year, because Disney decided they had no REAL competition.

Disney has proved that it makes many mistakes, all with Eisner at the head. THink about it, decline in park sales, Disneyland Paris, giving most of the money generated by Tokyo Disneyland to Orental Land Company, Disney loosing Pixar, as well as tons of other mistakes which caused many top level exces. to leave Disney for other companies.

Then Dinsey, like many other companies, throw huge bonuses to the CEO's to blind them from whats happening to the company. I think that the board has been lazy, insted of trying to fix the problems, they pay to cover them up, or put out more money to fix it, and fail yet again (e.g.-JIYI).

Then Eisner is bone-headed enough to build Hong Kong Disneyland when he is crying brokesville....

TURKEY

Originally posted by Blizz

Disney has proved that it makes many mistakes, all with Eisner at the head. THink about it, decline in park sales, Disneyland Paris, giving most of the money generated by Tokyo Disneyland to Orental Land Company, Disney loosing Pixar, as well as tons of other mistakes which caused many top level exces. to leave Disney for other companies.

Did I miss something or am I just forgetting? I didn't think Disney has lost Pixar yet.

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by turkey leg boy
Did I miss something or am I just forgetting? I didn't think Disney has lost Pixar yet.

They didn't :) They are releasing their next movie (Finding Nemo) in June...

Blizz

Sorry, my typo, I was writing that from my programming class, I ment to say, DIsney IS loosing Pixar, as in they are thinking of ditching Disney

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by Blizz
Sorry, my typo, I was writing that from my programming class, I ment to say, DIsney IS loosing Pixar, as in they are thinking of ditching Disney

That is true--not sure how much longer their contract is for--it's for a certain amount of movies, and I would bet they will not renew the contract afterward--Pixar can certainly stand on their own paws, now...since they make some of the most popular Disney movies now.

Dayma

This is why we wont see Toy Story 3 anytime soon. I have read many times that the two sides are not getting a long.

I think it is critical for Disney to develop their own version of Pixar because it would appear that the animation they are doing is not very popular. I like Lilo and Stitch but not many did.

Blizz

Not to change the topic, but Pixar only uses a Mac version and very advanced version of something like Maya 5. Ice Age, Spiderman, and many other films are done with this type of software. I dont knwo why SDisney doesnt come up with something liek it for their own use.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom