Grade F for Eisner

ToTBellHop

Disney has already unofficially confirmed Time Racer. End of story. It is happening, and there is no way you or anyone else will stop it. It is to be announced at the recently announced Journey through Time (or Travel through Time...one of the two) pin event (the largest event of the year), scheduled at Epcot in September.

Originally posted by DogsRule!
Disney has already unofficially confirmed Time Racer. End of story. It is happening, and there is no way you or anyone else will stop it. It is to be announced at the recently announced Journey through Time (or Travel through Time...one of the two) pin event (the largest event of the year), scheduled at Epcot in September.

How do you know all this?

Time Racers has not really been confirmed. It's still really a false rumor and take it as such until some sort of official announcement is made.

Spaceship Earth will NEVER EVER go away! End of story!

Epcot is my fav

Original Poster
Originally posted by disneyphilip
How do you know all this?

Time Racers has not really been confirmed. It's still really a false rumor and take it as such until some sort of official announcement is made.

Spaceship Earth will NEVER EVER go away! End of story!

yea time racers is a no go as of now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blizz

Gutting SE would be like killing Horizons all over again! It just does not seem plausable(sp?). I don't see how they could gut the inside of SE to accomidate something like that. And Microsoft footing the bill...... I highly doubt with Eisner's recent "work" and the small crowds at Epcot, the cut back of hours at Future WOrld... I dont see it happening for quite sometime if ever.

I mean, unofficialy I dont believe Gemini will ever be more then a pipe dream.

Dayma

LONG LIVE SPACESHIP EARTH......

What a great ride and stroy. Destroy this and you destroy a part of Epcot forever. This ride is even more popular than Horizons so I cant imagine it being killed.....

Tim G

Originally posted by Blizz
I know Eisner does a lot of work. But others make it sound liek he is the one funding these projects and creating them, and building them. Time Racers, Everest, Mission Space, all the man did was approve them and he will oversee them. Give credit where credit is due.

So??

Finally some credit to WDI ??

I'ts about time... :animwink:

Epcot is my fav

Original Poster
Originally posted by blackride
LONG LIVE SPACESHIP EARTH......

What a great ride and stroy. Destroy this and you destroy a part of Epcot forever. This ride is even more popular than Horizons so I cant imagine it being killed.....

Exactly SE should never be touched....its all "old" Epcot has left.....techinally speaking........plus dont you think Eisner knows that....and if he does go through with it....there will be lots of unhappy campers all over and he will be looked at differently

RickEff

I'm baffled by the quotes in this thread asking "What has Eisner done lately?"

First - Eisner is CEO of the Disney Company, not just WDW. It's a monumental organization. The last few years have been extremely tough ones for Disney. But before that, remember stockholders were consistently getting an average 20% return PER year for the longest time.

It's easy to look at his compensation and gasp, but there are a lot worse out there, and the stockholders of the company as well as the board of directors have continued to support Eisner for no other reason than that they believe in him - regardless of what analysts at Forbes say. I can't see anyone else on the horizon that understands the company better than Eisner.

No business is infallable - and there were sure some mistakes along the way. Buying ABC was probably one of the worst and has dragged down the stock price more than most other divisions. On the otherhand, ESPN (which was part of the same deal) has done very well for Disney.

Time will tell - but taking shots at him won't change anything. Cast your vote as a stockholder and it might get results!

Rick

Epcot is my fav

Original Poster
Originally posted by RickEff
I'm baffled by the quotes in this thread asking "What has Eisner done lately?"

First - Eisner is CEO of the Disney Company, not just WDW. It's a monumental organization. The last few years have been extremely tough ones for Disney. But before that, remember stockholders were consistently getting an average 20% return PER year for the longest time.

It's easy to look at his compensation and gasp, but there are a lot worse out there, and the stockholders of the company as well as the board of directors have continued to support Eisner for no other reason than that they believe in him - regardless of what analysts at Forbes say. I can't see anyone else on the horizon that understands the company better than Eisner.

No business is infallable - and there were sure some mistakes along the way. Buying ABC was probably one of the worst and has dragged down the stock price more than most other divisions. On the otherhand, ESPN (which was part of the same deal) has done very well for Disney.

Time will tell - but taking shots at him won't change anything. Cast your vote as a stockholder and it might get results!

Rick

yes we are arguing for the WDW aspect of his work

RickEff

Originally posted by Epcot is my fav
yes we are arguing for the WDW aspect of his work

Ah, sorry. I misunderstood. However, quoting Forbes means that the original post was arguing the point about his managing of all of Disney, not just WDW.

That being said, since the Forbes article looked back over the last 6 years and you mentioned the aspect of his WDW work, let's talk about that.

The high points -

1998:

Apr - WDW's newest Theme Park, Animal Kingdom opens its gates.
Jun - DisneyQuest opens at WDW's Downtown Disney
Jul - Disney's Magic has its maiden voyage
Oct - Disney/MGM Studios has its first showing of Fantasmic
Nov - Buzz Lightyear opens at the Magic Kingdom
Dec - Cirque du Soleil's "La Nouba" has its first show at Downtown Disney

1999:

Mar - Finally! GM's Test Track opens at EPCOT
Jul - Tarzan Rocks! opens at Animal Kingdom
Jul - Rock 'n Rollercoaster opens at Disney/MGM Studios
Jul - Disney's Fastpass debuts
Oct - Opening the Millenium Village at EPCOT
Oct - Reflections of Earth at EPCOT
Oct - Tapestry of Nations Parade at EPCOT

2000:

Ongoing - Walt Disney World's Millenium Celebration
Jun - Main Street Electrial Parade returns to Magic Kingdom
Jul - DisneyQuest opens Pirates of the Caribbean: Battle for Buccaneer Gold

2001:

Mar - “Who Wants To Be A Millionaire – Play It!” opens at Disney/MGM Studios
Apr - Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge Opens its doors
Apr - SpectroMagic replaces Main Street Electrical Parade
Jun - The Power of Blast! opens at EPCOT
Oct - 100 Years of Disney Celebration begins

2002:

Ongoing - 100 Years of Disney Celebration
Jun - Journey Into Imagination with Figment returns to EPCOT
Jun - SHOCKWAVE has its first performance at EPCOT
Jul - A new DVC resort, Disney’s Beach Club Villas opens

2003:

Jan - A brand new version of Tower of Terror begins to thrill people
Apr - A new attraction, Expedition EVEREST is announced
Aug - The long awaited Mission:Space attraction blasts off!
Dec - The delayed opening of Pop Century Opens

Take care,

Rick

Blizz

Originally posted by RickEff
Ah, sorry. I misunderstood. However, quoting Forbes means that the original post was arguing the point about his managing of all of Disney, not just WDW.

That being said, since the Forbes article looked back over the last 6 years and you mentioned the aspect of his WDW work, let's talk about that.

The high points -

1998:

Apr - WDW's newest Theme Park, Animal Kingdom opens its gates.
Jun - DisneyQuest opens at WDW's Downtown Disney
Jul - Disney's Magic has its maiden voyage
Oct - Disney/MGM Studios has its first showing of Fantasmic
Nov - Buzz Lightyear opens at the Magic Kingdom
Dec - Cirque du Soleil's "La Nouba" has its first show at Downtown Disney

1999:

Mar - Finally! GM's Test Track opens at EPCOT
Jul - Tarzan Rocks! opens at Animal Kingdom
Jul - Rock 'n Rollercoaster opens at Disney/MGM Studios
Jul - Disney's Fastpass debuts
Oct - Opening the Millenium Village at EPCOT
Oct - Reflections of Earth at EPCOT
Oct - Tapestry of Nations Parade at EPCOT

2000:

Ongoing - Walt Disney World's Millenium Celebration
Jun - Main Street Electrial Parade returns to Magic Kingdom
Jul - DisneyQuest opens Pirates of the Caribbean: Battle for Buccaneer Gold

2001:

Mar - “Who Wants To Be A Millionaire – Play It!” opens at Disney/MGM Studios
Apr - Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge Opens its doors
Apr - SpectroMagic replaces Main Street Electrical Parade
Jun - The Power of Blast! opens at EPCOT
Oct - 100 Years of Disney Celebration begins

2002:

Ongoing - 100 Years of Disney Celebration
Jun - Journey Into Imagination with Figment returns to EPCOT
Jun - SHOCKWAVE has its first performance at EPCOT
Jul - A new DVC resort, Disney’s Beach Club Villas opens

2003:

Jan - A brand new version of Tower of Terror begins to thrill people
Apr - A new attraction, Expedition EVEREST is announced
Aug - The long awaited Mission:Space attraction blasts off!
Dec - The delayed opening of Pop Century Opens

Take care,

Rick

Now which one of these did he do more then sign his name to, go to the opening (if that) and oversee (and he doesnt do that very much, he has others do that)...... And we are not totally bashing Mr. Eisner, actually in one post I said something nice about him. He did comeup with the idea of Splash Mountain, I will give him that to. It is a good ride.

Oh and I am a Disney shareholder, so I feel I have the right to comment on Eisner.

WDW John

Originally posted by turkey leg boy
I'm sure all the little people that have lost their job at Disney are glad leadership is making the right decisions.

So you agree that lowering the workforce can be the right decision?

I'm sure the people at Enron and WorldCom are happy their leadership did too. I'm sure they are thrilled to not have a job, while the CEOs get the big bucks even if it's only a million.

The people at Enron and WorldCom lost their jobs because of executive mismanagement that drove their companies into the ground. This hasn't happened at Disney.

I'm sure the people fighting to get by from month to month are real pleased.

Would they be more pleased if they had kept their jobs longer and that resulted in more people losing their jobs and even larger cutbacks?

The job of the CEO is to make and keep the company profitable. If that means adding a new E-Ticket, do it. If it means keeping more guests on property with a new hotel, do it. If it means cutting jobs to stay afloat, do it. It also includes things that we, as guests or observers or whatever, never see or think about.

I find it funny that some people don't want to give Eisner any credit for great things that are done at WDW (after all, it's the Imagineers who do all the work). But as soon as something goes "wrong" he gets all the blame. It can't be one thing or the other, it's either both or neither.

TURKEY

Originally posted by WDW John
So you agree that lowering the workforce can be the right decision?

The people at Enron and WorldCom lost their jobs because of executive mismanagement that drove their companies into the ground. This hasn't happened at Disney.

Would they be more pleased if they had kept their jobs longer and that resulted in more people losing their jobs and even larger cutbacks?

The job of the CEO is to make and keep the company profitable. If that means adding a new E-Ticket, do it. If it means keeping more guests on property with a new hotel, do it. If it means cutting jobs to stay afloat, do it. It also includes things that we, as guests or observers or whatever, never see or think about.

I find it funny that some people don't want to give Eisner any credit for great things that are done at WDW (after all, it's the Imagineers who do all the work). But as soon as something goes "wrong" he gets all the blame. It can't be one thing or the other, it's either both or neither.

I think he's done great at times and not so great at other times.

I think it'd just be nice if he would happen to say I'm going to take a pay cut because I've got enough money for the rest of my life (if he's smart) so some people could have a raise or that money could go to another great ride instead of a budget cut. That'd bring some nice goodwill and be a great PR move.

WDW John

Originally posted by turkey leg boy
I think it'd just be nice if he would happen to say I'm going to take a pay cut because I've got enough money for the rest of my life (if he's smart) so some people could have a raise or that money could go to another great ride instead of a budget cut. That'd bring some nice goodwill and be a great PR move.

:lol:

Oh, man, you're killing me! :)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was part of the announcement on the 22nd, wasn't it?

Seriously, though, a million dollar CEO (without bonuses) is pretty cheap. Failling CEOs in other companies are doing much better than that. Sometimes I wish I could be one. :)

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
He did comeup with the idea of Splash Mountain, I will give him that to. It is a good ride.

This is the second post on this thread that has made that statement (not sure if the other one was yours or not). Anyway, it's not true. Where are you getting your information from? Eisner didn't come up with the idea for Splash Mountain!! It was one of the ideas being kicked around at Imagineering before Eisner even came to the company. He and his son were touring Imagineering one day and they were looking at some of the ideas the Imagineers had. One was a model of Splash Mountain. Eisner's son liked it and so Eisner thought others would too, so he greenlighted it. He did not "come up with the idea" though. Don't give undeserved credit to him. He's already taking too much of that.

WDW John

Originally posted by CHAPPS
Don't give undeserved credit to him. He's already taking too much of that.

So what credit DOES Eisner deserve?

Making statements like that are just silly. It's similar to saying something like "George Bush wasn't out there fighting, he doesn't deserve any credit."

People need to realize that it's NOT Eisner's job to come up with ground breaking ride designs. It IS his job to green light projects that he feels will work they way WDW needs to draw crowds. He makes these decisions based on what he is being told by his advisors. Just as Bush doesn't go blow up tanks, he does have to authorize the moves made by the military to attain their objectives based on what he is told and the overall mission.

Of course Eisner didn't think of Expedition EVEREST. But, do you think that the CEO of AOL/Time-Warner is doing cover design and writing articles and creating on-line content? I'll give you a hint: No.

Dayma

People need to realize that it's NOT Eisner's job to come up with ground breaking ride designs. It IS his job to green light projects that he feels will work they way WDW needs to draw crowds. He makes these decisions based on what he is being told by his advisors. Just as Bush doesn't go blow up tanks, he does have to authorize the moves made by the military to attain their objectives based on what he is told and the overall mission.

I totally agree. Eisner is not supposed to be a creative genius just a financial one. He makes the decisions what to create and what not to create based on a financial stand point.

I also agree that he does not really make a lot of money compared to other CEO's but I am sure his contract and stock is worth a hell of a lot..

EpcoTim

Id give Eisner a C+ overall. He failed miserably in the swimsuit competition, and his speech on freeing the tree owl was the worst since Ms Georgias speech in 98, but overall hes done ok. Disney just seems to be losing that dedicated look at the theme parks. they need to set up a new mission statement for each park, and run from there.

Pioneer Hall

Now which one of these did he do more then sign his name to, go to the opening (if that) and oversee (and he doesnt do that very much, he has others do that)...... And we are not totally bashing Mr. Eisner, actually in one post I said something nice about him. He did comeup with the idea of Splash Mountain, I will give him that to. It is a good ride.

Oh and I am a Disney shareholder, so I feel I have the right to comment on Eisner.

But what do you want the CEO to do...get in the dirt and dig with the construction crew. All he is supoposed to do is take the projects that WDI gives him, and decide whether he thinks they would be good for the theme parks. There is more to it than just signing a piece of paper. There is a lot of thinking involved, and if you think that is all he does then you really need to look in to what a CEO of a major corporation does.

As for the Time Racers attraction. Some people here are going to be very upset come the fall or early next year when this thing is announced. As much as we all love Spaceship Earth, it is 20 Years old and needs a change. And as popular as it is...all the first timers that don't know much about the parks don't ride it for what is inside. They ride it because of what they see on the outside. This won't change once a new ride is in the ball. So everyone better get themselves prepared, because you are going to be very upset once this ends up being announced.

Dayma

So everyone better get themselves prepared, because you are going to be very upset once this ends up being announced.

If this happens I am going to write them and I hope everyone else does also....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom