GOTG Flying Coaster in EPCOT?

21stamps

Most people don't like it.

It's decent execution of a horrible theme. African and Asia are excellent executions of excellent themes. Dinorama is a black eye on a park that is otherwise the closest thing to DisneySea in the world.
Africa is my favorite area of the park, and where we spent most of our time while at AK the past 2 trips.

I just like each section for what it is. The theme of Dinorama is a carnival. The contents in it fit with that theme. I understand that some will not like that overall theme at all, and don't think it belongs in AK..that's fine. I do wish that even less people liked Primevil Whirl, then there would never be a line ;).

21stamps

The park has few ride options. And PW had woefully low capacity. Even when running both sides.

That could be why there's a line.

To be perfectly honest, the only reason we did Animal Kingdom last year was for Expedition Everest. It's always been my least favorite park. Until this year. I actually wish that we would have done a full day there instead of 12:30/1ish-close. There was Morning EMM on our day too, but after only lasting a few hours last year I didn't think it was worth going. This time, in December, with the mild temps.. we enjoyed it a lot more, and stayed at the park much longer. My son did the Explorers activities, we took the train for the first time, danced in a show in Africa, went to the evening carnival, and thoroughly had a good time during our day there.

We had to skip a lot that was on the list, including the safari, festival of the lion king, and discovery island trails. We just ran out of time, something that I did not expect at all. Even more surprising is last year we had a tusker house dinner and still fit the above mentioned in, this time we did not do a table service meal..just explored more of the park.

Last edited:

NearTheEars

I agree...and I TOTALLY understand the idea they were going for and the design aesthetic of DinoRama...the Route 66 roadside attraction set up in a parking lot... The gift shop is brilliantly themed, the roadside carnival was actually well designed... it's just that it was not the right fit...It was for a temporary increase in capacity but not a long term solution... Had they enclosed the coasters, and added more theming...more like the roadside Dinosaur attractions of days past, ...quirky concrete walk-through dinosaurs, some rockwork suggesting the American West...and a little less graphic billboard cartoon style, it might have been a timeless addition...it certainly would have meshed better into the park...

I have about the same feeling about Dinorama. They did a fantastic job. But was it really worth it?

Last edited:

Kman101

They should have just used the Dinorama money/Primeval Whirl for the Excavator wooden coaster. Were the costs that much different? We'd have a more in-theme ride to fit the area and less of a glaring eyesore (albeit they did do a good job with it even if I don't think it belongs).

WDWTank

Definitely, you need at least 2 days now, both of the parks have very very good rides now. From Transformers, both Potter rides, and even Kong have all really helped. (Kong I think what holds it back in my mind is how bad the story is and how mch better it could be had it used sets and screens or something like Journey to the center of the Earth at Tokyo. Thankfully IOA doesn't have a screen issue like the Studios).
But Minions is super overrated, definitely not worth a 90 minute wait haha.
DONT forget about Men in Black: Alien Attack :)

WDWTank

It's really cool, but it still needs something more in my opinion.
Yeah I think it needs to get th Spider-Man style refurb treatment. But mostly a restoration. Fixing broken sensors, repairing animatronics and broken fog /strobe effects inside the bug, repaint fracked gun holsters/ surfaces, and perhaps some more nonlinear storytelling, ex: during the ambush area, if all aliens in the trash buckets are knocked down successfully, the cart doesn't spin ;)

Daveeeeed

Yeah I think it needs to get th Spider-Man style refurb treatment. But mostly a restoration. Fixing broken sensors, repairing animatronics and broken fog /strobe effects inside the bug, repaint fracked gun holsters/ surfaces, and perhaps some more nonlinear storytelling, ex: during the ambush area, if all aliens in the trash buckets are knocked down successfully, the cart doesn't spin ;)
It kind of feels how Dinasaur used to feel: a great but equally disappointing ride.

WDWTank

It kind of feels how Dinasaur used to feel: a great but equally disappointing ride.
Also I'm slightly biased in my opinions because Men in Black is actually my favorite ride at the entire Universal Orlando Resort. There's just nothing else like it in the world. I've never heard or seen a ride where you can zap another rider's vehicle and make it spin. It's
Just breathtaking in my opinion. Also the only reason I keep coming back to universal is only for men in black

Daveeeeed

Also I'm slightly biased in my opinions because Men in Black is actually my favorite ride at the entire Universal Orlando Resort. There's just nothing else like it in the world. I've never heard or seen a ride where you can zap another rider's vehicle and make it spin. It's
Just breathtaking in my opinion. Also the only reason I keep coming back to universal is only for men in black
Interesting. I've only ridden it once, so maybe that's why:p. Now Forbidden Journey I rode like a half dozen times:D.

RSoxNo1

Africa is my favorite area of the park, and where we spent most of our time while at AK the past 2 trips.

I just like each section for what it is. The theme of Dinorama is a carnival. The contents in it fit with that theme. I understand that some will not like that overall theme at all, and don't think it belongs in AK..that's fine. I do wish that even less people liked Primevil Whirl, then there would never be a line ;).
I'm not arguing that they didn't pull off the theme. I'm arguing that it's a lousy theme. There are some things that lend themselves better to an immersive land than others. A tacky roadside carnival isn't one of them. For those keeping track at home, neither is Andy's backyard.

Bocabear

I'm not arguing that they didn't pull off the theme. I'm arguing that it's a lousy theme. There are some things that lend themselves better to an immersive land than others. A tacky roadside carnival isn't one of them. For those keeping track at home, neither is Andy's backyard.
I agree completely... They actually did an amazing job of the thematic elements, but the choice to use that theme probably sounded great in a boardroom and on paper, but in practicum is just not a great fit. I think Andy's Back Yard, and the whole Toy Story Land as the expansion is a really bad, lackluster and unoriginal idea... they could do so much more and so much better... a family coaster and a spinner...seriously.
Maybe if the spinner was enclosed and put into an outer-space themed environment with lots of fun special effects and eye candy, it would be great... but just a covered, open air double spinner ride...ho hum. and the theme of Toy Story Playland has been done to death...Something original would have been nice.

WildcatDen

The park has few ride options. And PW had woefully low capacity. Even when running both sides.

That could be why there's a line.
Serpico has told me to keep an eye on this area of the park for future changes. Nothing more in the way of detail, just a rather vague but most likely to be tied to a more recent IP? Also, a time table was mentioned that has it possibly ready by the 50th. So, in essence, they would not be counting Pandora as part of the "New" offerings coming to all 4 parks for the 50th. That makes sense due to the fact that it is opening 4 years ahead, but Disney being Disney, I would assume they would milk that N'avi for all she is worth. . .

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Serpico has told me to keep an eye on this area of the park for future changes. Nothing more in the way of detail, just a rather vague but most likely to be tied to a more recent IP? Also, a time table was mentioned that has it possibly ready by the 50th. So, in essence, they would not be counting Pandora as part of the "New" offerings coming to all 4 parks for the 50th. That makes sense due to the fact that it is opening 4 years ahead, but Disney being Disney, I would assume they would milk that N'avi for all she is worth. . .
There could be.... something.... else for the park circa 2020/1 but nothing definite yet.

WildcatDen

There could be.... something.... else for the park circa 2020/1 but nothing definite yet.
Yeah. It was about that level of detail, maybe a little more. I just thought it interesting that the area was really the biggest piece of detail provided.

As for the Original topic of this thread, I am still hearing GOTG in Epcot at the UoE and it will not be a Flying Coaster. Still hearing ToT is safe.

Supposed to get an update prior to year end but it has been pretty quite lately.

the.dreamfinder

The Good Dinosaur?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom