GOTG Flying Coaster in EPCOT?

21stamps

Until last year, Cedar Fair's a la carte food prices made Disney's food look like a bargain but the WDW suits have figured that out and are rapidly achieving meal price equity. I give CF high marks for their full-day food tickets, though, and their drink wristbands. And CF's premium pass, which gives you parking and access to ALL their parks (Cedar Point, Kings Island, Kings Dominion, Carowinds, Great America San Jose, Canada's Wonderland, Sesame Place, and Knott's Berry Farm), is a steal compared to the Disney Premier Passport.
For 2017 I will have a Disney Platinum AP, not the Passport. I also bought Platinum instead of Gold passes this year with CF, the price pays for itself in 2 visits. Then again, the price of Disney's paid for itself in one vacation stay, so that's not too bad either.

I hate the food prices at CF, drinks, bottled water, and some food is actually more expensive than Disney. I just bring my own water, we have refillable cups, and I try not to eat full meals there too often. The CF Dining Plan doesn't fit how we visit.

mcjaco

Then
They got a problem

I've been told that they keep getting a little more cash each year to fix up WoL for it's use as the Festival Center. Now they're getting down to thelarger stuff like the tile flooring, or the ceiling leaks.

Exactly. Also, the reason that height requirements are so high on flying coasters is not because the ride is so scary, there are plenty of arguably equally thrilling coasters at a 48" height req.. the reason is because of the restraints and the design itself.

The patent illustrated on page one is neat, I just don't see it being utilized any time soon.

Maybe something like one of these as opposed to that style of coaster at WDW-

View attachment 179314 View attachment 179313 View attachment 179315

Oh god, please no to the kiddie flyer or kiddie inverted. Those hurt. A LOT.

Daveeeeed

I've been told that they keep getting a little more cash each year to fix up WoL for it's use as the Festival Center. Now they're getting down to thelarger stuff like the tile flooring, or the ceiling leaks.

I think the increases in price are because they like a 4-letter word: CASH.:greedy:

21stamps

I don't see either of those coming to WDW. They don't hold enough people at once. I do think the possibility of a 44" or 46" minimum ride is more probable than Disney building a ride for older kids.

Daveeeeed

I don't see either of those coming to WDW. They don't hold enough people at once. I do think the possibility of a 44" or 46" minimum ride is more probable than Disney building a ride for older kids.
Since Epcot mainly attracts an older audience they could really use something to take them away from Test Track. Rock N' Rollercoaster is 48", as with California Screamin' & and Prime-Evil Whirl, not to mention Raging Spirits in Tokyo (being more) & Indy in Paris.

Minimum 48" is the standard for a looping coaster; minimum 54" for flying. That's in general of course, obviously not for all.

Since we are told there will be no loops I could expect this ride to be 42" or 44" but I would guess Disney would somehow figure out a way to make a flying coaster 48 inches, but you never know. I don't think this patent is for GOTG if it is used at all it would probably be for something else.

I think fixing up previous attractions: LWTL, Figment, and Nemo and adding Ratatouille is what can be done to fix the family line-up problem, but I see Guardians as a standard non-flying coaster to be 48" or under.

Last edited:

21stamps

Since Epcot mainly attracts an older audience they could really use something to take them away from Test Track. Rock N' Rollercoaster is 48", as with California Screamin' & and Prime-Evil Whirl, not to mention Raging Spirits in Tokyo & Indy in Paris.

Minimum 48" is the standard for a looping coaster; minimum 54" for flying. That's in general of course, obviously not for all.

Since we are told there will be no loops I could expect this ride to be 42" or 44" but I would guess Disney would somehow figure out a way to make a flying coaster 48 inches, but you never know. I don't think this patent is for GOTG if it is used at all it would probably be for something else.

I think fixing up previous attractions: LWTL, Figment, and Nemo and adding Ratatouille is what can be done to fix the family line-up problem, but I see Guardians as a standard non-flying coaster to be 48" or under.

I said those 2 heights bc they are the requirement of the 2 rides in the pictures.

I agree though.. I think 48"..a limited amount of them, is ok at WDW. My 1st grader was THRILLED to be able to do Rock 'n Rolercoaster on this past trip...and Primevil whirl!

It's once you start the 52" and up requirements you are pushing out too many of the younger (K-2) kids...especially when the majority of Disney visitors are traveling with children under that height/age. It's the main reason that we didn't go to Universal during the trip.

Daveeeeed

I said those 2 heights bc they are the requirement of the 2 rides in the pictures.

I agree though.. I think 48"..a limited amount of them, is ok at WDW. My kid was THRILLED to be able to do Rock 'n Rolercoaster on this past trip...and Primevil whirl!

It's once you start the 52" and up requirements you are pushing out too many kids..especially when the majority of Disney visitors are traveling with children under that height. It's the main reason that we didn't go to Universal during the trip.
Disney can handle even one 54" coaster. Trust me it would still get hours waits; I personally don't think they would do that, but there's nothing wrong with it. It also means fewer waits in proportion to what it would be especially since flying coasters have lower capacities than regular coasters. I think for GOTG they probably will cap it at 48" just because of the ip and because Disney doesn't do the bare coasters for their etickets.

Universal is great though. When your kid is probably 11 that's probably the best time to go. I would say Islands of Adventure is on par with Disney Parks, but the Studios has Diagon Alley going for it which was amazing. but the park as a whole has so many simulators it is like riding Star Tours all day.

21stamps

I do want to add that the reason I think the K-2 crowd and their parents would be overwhelmingly negatively effected is because of this-

Pre K and under typically wouldn't even care about those attractions..they aren't tall enough to ride any actual roller coasters yet...and they are into Disney JR etc then, so have things to do that the 1st and 2nd graders no longer care about. By building those coasters you're splitting up more families who may want to ride and you may end up with complaining kids.

I don't know if that makes sense, but to me that is the biggest difference between Disney World and uni/IoA

21stamps

Disney can handle even one 54" coaster. Trust me it would still get hours waits; I personally don't think they would do that, but there's nothing wrong with it. It also means fewer waits in proportion to what it would be especially since flying coasters have lower capacities than regular coasters. I think for GOTG they probably will cap it at 48" just because of the ip and because Disney doesn't do the bare coasters for their etickets.

Universal is great though. When your kid is probably 11 that's probably the best time to go. I would say Islands of Adventure is on par with Disney Parks, but the Studios has Diagon Alley going for it which was amazing. but the park as a whole has so many simulators it is like riding Star Tours all day.
Oh I absolutely love Universal and IoA..and although o went countless times before, I haven't even been since 2009! I'm sure it's even much better now. We will go the second he is tall enough to ride almost everything. I'd even go when he was 52" not 54". He definitely wants the Harry Potter wand and to see everything..it's on the To Do list, just at a later time.

Daveeeeed

I do want to add that the reason I think the K-2 crowd and their parents would be overwhelmingly negatively effected is because of this-

Pre K and under typically wouldn't even care about those attractions..they aren't tall enough to ride any actual roller coasters yet...and they are into Disney JR etc then, so have things to do that the 1st and 2nd graders no longer care about. By building those coasters you're splitting up more families who may want to ride and you may end up with complaining kids.

I don't know if that makes sense, but to me that is the biggest difference between Disney World and uni/IoA
Pandora is thankfully fixing that problem for AK and Nintendo is doing the same for Universal. Still though, Disney is geared more towards the family (which I agree, that also helps Disney) while Universal is best for 5th grade +

Daveeeeed

Oh I absolutely love Universal and IoA..and although o went countless times before, I haven't even been since 2009! I'm sure it's even much better now. We will go the second he is tall enough to ride almost everything. I'd even go when he was 52" not 54". He definitely wants the Harry Potter wand and to see everything..it's on the To Do list, just at a later time.
Definitely, you need at least 2 days now, both of the parks have very very good rides now. From Transformers, both Potter rides, and even Kong have all really helped. (Kong I think what holds it back in my mind is how bad the story is and how mch better it could be had it used sets and screens or something like Journey to the center of the Earth at Tokyo. Thankfully IOA doesn't have a screen issue like the Studios).
But Minions is super overrated, definitely not worth a 90 minute wait haha.

21stamps

Definitely, you need at least 2 days now, both of the parks have very very good rides now. From Transformers, both Potter rides, and even Kong have all really helped.
But Minions is super overrated, definitely not worth a 90 minute wait haha.
I actually had booked 3 nights at Royal Pacific last month. Was set on doing a 6/3 Disney split.

Changed my mind and cancelled. I just felt like it isn't time yet, even though the kid is asking to go. I can't wait till we actually do get there..Ive never heard one bad thing about any of the Potter stuff. It will be a great experience for sure. I can't remember if Minions was included with the express pass or not..hopefully it is..I'm definitely not waiting 90 minutes!

Daveeeeed

I actually had booked 3 nights at Royal Pacific last month. Was set on doing a 6/3 Disney split.

Changed my mind and cancelled. I just felt like it isn't time yet, even though the kid is asking to go. I can't wait till we actually do get there..Ive never heard one bad thing about any of the Potter stuff. It will be a great experience for sure. I can't remember if Minions was included with the express pass or not..hopefully it is..I'm definitely not waiting 90 minutes!
It is included in the express pass, but golly, it was a cool c-ticket, but super disappointing for the wait and that there were already so many simulators at the park.

Probably a good move on your part, I am planning on reading Potter soon (haven't I know:cry:) so if you guys haven't it might be a good idea to at least read the first.

We're going to Disneyland in the Summer and honestly I'm glad we waited as now even my younger brother will remember this very well for his lifetime.

RSoxNo1

Hi @Bocabear! As usual, great comment!

primeval-whirl-02.jpg
primeval-whirl-01.jpg

primeval-whirl-gallery05.jpg

primeval-whirl-gallery00.jpg

primeval-whirl-gallery06.jpg

I looked and I could not find any mouse trap coaster on the planet that looks as nice as Primeval Whirl.

Mouse_Trap_Coaster-17.jpg

This is the nicest one I could find and it still falls way short of Disney's version.

Dino-Rama is odd and doesn't quite mesh with the rest of AK. But, I also feel like some of the criticism is unfair. It could work as the kiddie section of AK, although the height requirement for Primeval Whirl seems to undermine that.

Toy Story Land will serve the exact same purpose. I'm very curious about what the height requirement on the coaster will be. I know you will have fun there, regardless.

I totally agree with you that this has been a tough decade for Disney World Parks. But, Disney is taking action to remedy that. I really hope that RoL, Avatarland and Star Wars land will prove you wrong.

If all else fails, there is still lots of potential for Epcot's revamp.

There is no reason, why you can't be excited about Disney right now, while also looking forward to the upcoming lands and attractions.
Dinorama looks and feels cheap with nothing to anchor it. Africa looks and feels cheap with quite a bit to anchor it.

RSoxNo1

My family enjoyed primeval whirl, my kid's exact words- "This is awesome! It's like a tilt a whirl as a roller coaster!"

People like different things. Some hate spinning or dropping or any ride that isn't super smooth like the new hybrid coasters. I'm good with any of the above.

It always makes me chuckle when people here bash Cedar Fair parks. They're actually pretty good, super clean, entertaining shows, great coasters, great kiddie park, cute characters, very reasonably priced..and if you're a Disney fan you may know who's running them.
First off, kids are simple.

They gravitate towards what they can understand. This is typicall visual motion, kinetic energy, something that won't surprise them. Something like Primeval Whirl is right up their alley. They understand it before they get on the ride and the sensation doesn't change once the ride is over.

Primeval Whirl has the most uncomfortable restraints of any Disney attraction I've ever experienced. Add in the cheap look in an otherwise richly themed park and it really is an embarrassment. This ride should have been a funhouse style dark ride in the same area.

bcoachable

I actually was inspired to read the Potter series AFTER checking it out at Uni... My kiddos had been telling me how good a series it was... I just never had time due to other reads I wanted/needed (being an adult an all). I made time after seeing how well themed everything was. Loved it.

21stamps

First off, kids are simple.

They gravitate towards what they can understand. This is typicall visual motion, kinetic energy, something that won't surprise them. Something like Primeval Whirl is right up their alley. They understand it before they get on the ride and the sensation doesn't change once the ride is over.

Primeval Whirl has the most uncomfortable restraints of any Disney attraction I've ever experienced. Add in the cheap look in an otherwise richly themed park and it really is an embarrassment. This ride should have been a funhouse style dark ride in the same area.

I'll just agree to disagree again. I think it's a cute section of the park. Complete with the photo booth, games, and all. I realize that some people don't like it.

rioriz

Primevil Whirl is a must for me each visit! We always come off smiling. You can argue the "No place in a Disney park" but I'll throw back the nicely themed carnival rides spread throughout MK...

RSoxNo1

I'll just agree to disagree again. I think it's a cute section of the park. Complete with the photo booth, games, and all. I realize that some people don't like it.
Most people don't like it.

It's decent execution of a horrible theme. African and Asia are excellent executions of excellent themes. Dinorama is a black eye on a park that is otherwise the closest thing to DisneySea in the world.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom