Got some good "jerk parents" stories?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemo14

This is another running debate between the wife and I. :lol:

I, of course, am all in favor of child leashes. My wife doesn't like them as she thinks it's mean, degrading and treating the child like an animal. Of course, my reply is that if the child can act like a civilized human being and do what he's supposed to do, then by all means treat him as such and don't use the leash. But if he wants to act like a wild animal and run all over the place, then by all means, treat him as such and throw the leash on him. :D
That's not at all the reason for using them! Things can happen in a split second - especially if you have more than one child. Kids are kids, and they don't have to be "acting like an animal" for things to happen. I once saw my pastor's 2 year old daughter walk completely through the tram at the Orlando airport - in one door and out the other.She's wasn't running away, just following the crowd that was exiting. It only take s a second!

DABIGCHEEZ

It's not the child that's the problem - it's the parents! Too many parents have no clue how to relax and enjoy spending time with their children, and have no idea how to set an example of good behavior for them. We took our kids every year from the time they were quite young, and I can honestly say that they never once pulled a horror show. Yes we had some cranky moments at times (we all did!), but as a parent you learn to be flexible and deal appropriately with them without resorting to escalating violent behavior.
Our trips with the kids are some of our best Disney memories, and I wouldn't hesitate to bring them again if I had it to do again!

Agree with ya Nemo.... My kids a 8,7,and 2 and this year is the 8 yr olds 10th trip. We had gone many many times before kids so we knew to PACE and not try to see it all. And I will say that the kids remember SOME moments from when they were 3-4 (Hunchback tickling my DD in the stroller and the bad guy from Hunchback(with the mean face) turning around spooking the kids, etc.) The kids should dictate the pace and when they get cranky... take a break back to the hotel and swim or relax. A 1-2 hr break usually make for a more enjoyable evening at the park. Although I remember my DS losing control at 11:00AM when he was 3-4..... and we learned how much WE loved the Monorail.... he was asleep by the TTC. We switched to the Epcot monorail and did the loop and then went back into MK and when he awoke .. he was fine.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I have been to WDW at many different life stages. I will forgo boring you all with pre marriage.

My wife and I honeymooned at Disney. We had a really good time. Enjoyed it alot. When my daughter was 4, we took her. It was a different trip. Not so much relaxing, but still bunches of fun. Then my son came along and we took him when he was almost 3.

There is nothing like seeing your young child see the characters they recognize live in person for the very first time. The looks of excitement in their eyes, running to some, running from others. Getting to ride in the front of the "Boparail" as my son calls it. Then when you come home, all the stories they tell the grandparents including about how daddy held me in the "elevator" of the haunted mansion. About how the pirates were not that scary, and many many others.

So those who have toddlers that you think wont enjoy, remember, or the one that gets me the most that I heard a while back...."appreciate" a trip to WDW, you just keep telling yourself that. One of these days, maybe you will be lucky enough that your child will take you along with them when you are wheel chair bound and have to urinate in a bag so you can see your grandchildren at WDW experience what you missed with your children.

maggiegrace1

Hey now!

At least I'm perfectly willing to admit that about myself, though. :D Yes, I do have very little tolerance for fussy children.Seems to me like it is ALL children..:shrug:

Now, are these negative attributes which should be changed in my life? Sure, and hopefully as I get used to parenthood and go on future trips to WDW, I WILL learn to chill out a little and relax.

But until then, given my lack of tolerance for squalling children and my rigidity when it comes to the daily plan, I think leaving the children home until they are "old enough" is a wise move for all involved. :D
You should have been prepared before the child was born don't you think?..

Did you not know what children are like and that when you become a parent things will change and you can not always do what YOU want anymore?

Sometimes I wonder while you had a child..Im not trying to be mean and I appreciate your honesty but you have nothing to say about children but negative things..

I, of course, am all in favor of child leashes. My wife doesn't like them as she thinks it's mean, degrading and treating the child like an animal. Of course, my reply is that if the child can act like a civilized human being and do what he's supposed to do, then by all means treat him as such and don't use the leash. But if he wants to act like a wild animal and run all over the place, then by all means, treat him as such and throw the leash on him. :D
Children are not meant to be treated like an animal regardless of the way they act...
I have been to WDW at many different life stages. I will forgo boring you all with pre marriage.

My wife and I honeymooned at Disney. We had a really good time. Enjoyed it alot. When my daughter was 4, we took her. It was a different trip. Not so much relaxing, but still bunches of fun. Then my son came along and we took him when he was almost 3.

There is nothing like seeing your young child see the characters they recognize live in person for the very first time. The looks of excitement in their eyes, running to some, running from others. Getting to ride in the front of the "Boparail" as my son calls it. Then when you come home, all the stories they tell the grandparents including about how daddy held me in the "elevator" of the haunted mansion. About how the pirates were not that scary, and many many others.

So those who have toddlers that you think wont enjoy, remember, or the one that gets me the most that I heard a while back...."appreciate" a trip to WDW, you just keep telling yourself that. One of these days, maybe you will be lucky enough that your child will take you along with them when you are wheel chair bound and have to urinate in a bag so you can see your grandchildren at WDW experience what you missed with your children.
:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

AWESOME Paul......

Your kids are very lucky..:)

DisneyGigi

I guess you hit it on the head for me... except for the last part...:ROFLOL: we didn't visit from 2000 til 2007 and when we went.. my DS (turning 13) saw me getting emotional at The Little Mermaid show at MGM (his fave show at 3 & 5) he looks at me... holds my hand , squeezes it, meets my eye and smiles. He knew why I was crying... it was just so sweet...
They are only little once... enjoy it, it will be gone before you know it.

DABIGCHEEZ

That's just mean. I hate it when people lie to their kids about what a ride is going to be like. If anything you are just going to make whatever fears they may have about the ride worse, not to mention they aren't going to trust you anymore.

My DD is 8 and scared of everything so I can feel the pain of some of the parents who want to go on certain rides, but can't because their kids won't go. (I'm a singal parent so a lot of times it's just me and her, not child swich offs). Still, I am always up front with her about what is going to happen on the rides and if she ever wants to back out, even after waiting for 30 minutes, we leave. I give her a hard time..."Are you sure you can't just see what it's like... it's only a 2 minute ride...", but I never yell at her for it.

I know plenty of grow ups that won't get on rides I have seen parents force their kids on to. Some people just aren't in to thrill rides. Different strokes for differnt folks. I think some parents loose site of the fact that their kids are people.
I will say it again.... IMHO I think kids, or anyone for that matter, has a bit of nervousness before trying anything the first time and that is normal. My son needed a bit of coaxing to get on his first rollercoaster(@ Hersheypark)and then wanted to go on again and again. But he was saying he was a little scared about Space Mt. his first time. He know loves them as long as they don't go upside down. And that is just fine. I agree to be upfront to an extent... I mean comparing Space Mt. to IASW doesn't fly but when they have been on other rollercoasters and LOVE them and are a bit hesitent because what the see on the promotional videos and such IMHO I little coaxing is needed. If this nervousness develops into outright fear(screaming and fighting or pulling away) that IS NOT ok to force them to ride. Most parents should and I stress SHOULD be able to make the appropriate decision for their child.

sbkline

That's not at all the reason for using them! Things can happen in a split second - especially if you have more than one child. Kids are kids, and they don't have to be "acting like an animal" for things to happen. I once saw my pastor's 2 year old daughter walk completely through the tram at the Orlando airport - in one door and out the other.She's wasn't running away, just following the crowd that was exiting. It only take s a second!

I agree with ya there. But if my wife objects on the basis that she thinks it's "treating them like animals", then ya gotta know that I'm gonna reply the way I do. :D

But there's also an amount of truth to it. Yes, as you said, a child can innocently take a wrong turn or get lost in the crowd, which is one reason I am in favor of the leashes.

But let's face it, there are also wild hooligan children out there that don't just innocently or inadvertantly get lost in the crowd. There are those children who just will not obey or do what they are told and insist on running off who knows where. And for those kids, I stand by my point that if leashes are "treating them like animals", then if the shoe fits, wear it.

Nemo14

I agree with ya there. But if my wife objects on the basis that she thinks it's "treating them like animals", then ya gotta know that I'm gonna reply the way I do. :D

But there's also an amount of truth to it. Yes, as you said, a child can innocently take a wrong turn or get lost in the crowd, which is one reason I am in favor of the leashes.

But let's face it, there are also wild hooligan children out there that don't just innocently or inadvertantly get lost in the crowd. There are those children who just will not obey or do what they are told and insist on running off who knows where. And for those kids, I stand by my point that if leashes are "treating them like animals", then if the shoe fits, wear it.
The children who act that way generally have parents who have allowed them to act that way. Those same parents would not be the type to use a "leash" anyway.

sbkline

You should have been prepared before the child was born don't you think?..

Did you not know what children are like and that when you become a parent things will change and you can not always do what YOU want anymore?

Of course I knew that and still know that. But my wife and I both think that trying to cope with a child at a place like WDW is just too much. Further, we also believe there's nothing wrong with a husband and wife taking some time alone, without the child, to reconnect and invest in their marraige. No matter how much you love your kids and want to do things as a family, most people will tell you that it's good to leave the kids with someone once in a while and spend some time alone.

Sometimes I wonder while you had a child..Im not trying to be mean and I appreciate your honesty but you have nothing to say about children but negative things..

Probably because anytime I talk about kids, it's in the context of having them at WDW, which as you know, I think it a recipe for trouble...at least in the infant/toddler years. :D

DisneyGigi

Of course I knew that and still know that. But my wife and I both think that trying to cope with a child at a place like WDW is just too much. Further, we also believe there's nothing wrong with a husband and wife taking some time alone, without the child, to reconnect and invest in their marraige. No matter how much you love your kids and want to do things as a family, most people will tell you that it's good to leave the kids with someone once in a while and spend some time alone.

Probably because anytime I talk about kids, it's in the context of having them at WDW, which as you know, I think it a recipe for trouble...at least in the infant/toddler years. :D

After reading your prior posts referring to thinking about or obsession with WDW is wrong this seems in conflict with that post???

DABIGCHEEZ

Exactly my point. We don't go for our child, we go for US. Because our child is too young to care and is only along for the ride (if we do take him with us). Since we are going because WE want to and not because he wants to, then for us, it makes sense to leave him home with Grandma so we don't have to have our vacation ruined contending with a fussy toddler.
Having been to WDW many times, IMHO as said in other posts, I think people go for different reasons, at different points in their lives. My wife and I probably only went once in our 8 yrs. together before kids.
Now we have been 10 or 11 times in the past 8 years. Now while I do enjoy going... if it were only me and my wife there are plenty of other places we would go. I personally go because my kids LOVE it.
Their reactions and smiles just make every $ spent worth it. My wife and I agreed those place we want to go will be there years down the road.(another reason we bought DVC)

DABIGCHEEZ

Well said!!!:sohappy:

mickeysgal

I was at WDW last week and it seemed like every designated smoking area had a parent sitting there dragging on a butt with their child(ren) in tow. To me, this is child abuse. And the worst part is that the parents think they're doing the "right thing". The only right thing to do is QUIT for your children's sake.

I've seen a lot of this since the areas were designated for smoking. My husband is a smoker, so my kids and I usually wait in an adjacent sitting area. I could not believe the amount of kids in the smoking areas (although I do have to complain that the smokers get some pretty good shaded spots!)

The worst was on my last trip in May. There must have been a million school trips to the parks that day (I could tell by all the matching shirts). Anyway, I saw about 8-10 kids in the smoking area with a chaperone. I told my husband that I would be furious if a chaperone allowed my child into a smoking area on a school trip. I wish I could have gotten the name of the school off the shirt, and contacted them. That is totally unacceptable!

DABIGCHEEZ

No leash law for me. But to each their own.

Just curious though..... do they eat and drink from bowls on the floor?:zipit:

sbkline

Children are not meant to be treated like an animal regardless of the way they act...

True, but I'm not the one who thinks that a leash is treating a kid like an animal. My wife feels that way, but I disagree. But since she used the analogy, then I just added to it. :slurp:

The Mom

Premium Member
My mother used a "leash" for me when I was a toddler. That was SOP in the 50s.

It was easier to take my children places when they were infants and toddlers than when they were older.

Many posters remember my posting about taking my 18 month old daughter and 15 year old niece to WDW one year. My daughter was wonderful; my niece was a real PITA. I took my daughter back a couple of months later, and we had a wonderful time.

EPCOT.nut

As the father of a 3 yo. I am a huge proponant of kid on a rope. To them its a backpack. To us, it assurance that they can only get about three feet away.

Yeah. I don't have kids but during the AP Nemo opening at EPCOT, I witnessed an hysterical lady looking for her kid. I tried to help look for him and keep my eye out but she had been looking for a while and he was for sure missing! He was about 3 or 4. :( My heart went out to her. In the huge crowd that day it would have been great to have him on a leash. Especially the kids that run off. As long as it is a little kid, you know? Now if you have your 6 year old on a leash...well, again I don't have kids, but that would be a little weird, I think.

LoriMistress

You should have been prepared before the child was born don't you think?..Did you not know what children are like and that when you become a parent things will change and you can not always do what YOU want anymore?
Not really sure if you're trying to sound mean, but if you wrote this directed at me, I would be livid. How can you judge others on how they handle their own children? It would be one thing if this guy is literally beating the life out of his child or started punching babies in the face, but a father stresses out being at WDW with a cranky child. Would you like it if someone judge you for being a bad parent because you weren't prepared for whatever crisis may come? Every parent knows that what you think you're prepared for and whatever patience you thought you had with children change you for the better (or worse) when you have children. For point reference, listen or watch Bill Cosby's Parenthood comedy album. I'm sure you've heard of it; everyone has.

How insulting does this come across if someone directed towards you: Not trying to be mean to you, but why on earth did you bother having kids, because you're obviously are not capable of handling your own child throwing a tantrum; even though I've only read only a few posts of yours and never seen you interact with your own children. That's what it comes across.

So this guy threats his own children up like animals? So he locks his children in a small dog cage, feeds them scraps of leftover food or dog chow, and has them sleep where they urinate? Yea, he's such a bad guy because he brings his children to WDW. Someone is being a bit mellow-dramatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom