Goodbye, monorail drivers.......? Sorry if already posted.

devoy1701

A fully automated system comes and goes on its own. Wheelchair bound users must board in this timeframe without assistance. As it is now, wheelchair guests using the Walt Disney World Monorail System require assistance from a Cast Member who must place down a ramp which allows them to board.

It is an elevation change, not a gap. It is not an insurmountable problem, as the M-VI monorails do not have this elevation change, but I doubt it is an issue Disney wants to pay to modify. I assume this is why the driver position is being kept. It seems that Disney currently tries to pack wheelchairs into as few cars as possible, which means they require more time to load and unload, plus the time required to set up the ramps. I do not think a fully automated system would be bad, just do not see it likely that Disney wants to pay for all of the required upgrades.

all they would need to do is pour some concrete to raise the platform level at a few of the gates and have signs that say "Guests using Wheelchairs and ECVs please use cars 3,4, or 5" or something of the likes. It's only a few inches difference. Some engineers could figure it out quickly and easily I'm sure.

PhilharMagician

A fully automated system comes and goes on its own. Wheelchair bound users must board in this timeframe without assistance. As it is now, wheelchair guests using the Walt Disney World Monorail System require assistance from a Cast Member who must place down a ramp which allows them to board.

It is an elevation change, not a gap. It is not an insurmountable problem, as the M-VI monorails do not have this elevation change, but I doubt it is an issue Disney wants to pay to modify. I assume this is why the driver position is being kept. It seems that Disney currently tries to pack wheelchairs into as few cars as possible, which means they require more time to load and unload, plus the time required to set up the ramps. I do not think a fully automated system would be bad, just do not see it likely that Disney wants to pay for all of the required upgrades.

The current monorial drivers do not move the ramp of help wheelchair bound guests. THe trin being automated would have nothing to do with this. It would simply monitor spacing and more importantly (according to the article) would allow for the system to continue to operate during track switches which would hopefully be a huge timesaver.

lazyboy97o

all they would need to do is pour some concrete to raise the platform level at a few of the gates and have signs that say "Guests using Wheelchairs and ECVs please use cars 3,4, or 5" or something of the likes. It's only a few inches difference. Some engineers could figure it out quickly and easily I'm sure.
The problem is not just the platforms. The way the doors open is also an issue that needs to be addressed. The doors drop down, and then open. But again, the issue is not with solving the problem (Bombardier already has) but with Disney's willingness.

lazyboy97o

The current monorial drivers do not move the ramp of help wheelchair bound guests. THe trin being automated would have nothing to do with this. It would simply monitor spacing and more importantly (according to the article) would allow for the system to continue to operate during track switches which would hopefully be a huge timesaver.
But that is not the type of fully automated system that was being referenced. The proposed automation is more like auto pilot, not a modern automation system like is used on other systems.

Sitting in the front of the monorail was always a great experience! Every time I came with either a family member or friend I'd always request it and get it within the trip, and they loved it! When I went in November I asked if they are letting people in the front (becuase I didn't know if they changed it back) but the cast member said no. Too bad. I think when I went to DL I sat in the front but I don't remember much, I guess the ride wasn't that long. :p

Rasvar

Seems like it would be more like the Space Shuttle on landing. Everything was run by computer except for one part, the landing, which could be auto but was always done manually. Automation system runs everything between stations making for less reliance on visual clearances and probably allowing for a a quicker run by not having to wait as far out of station or as long to resume motion to the station. Manual control could be taken as need for squirrels on the beam.

Tom Morrow

The article mentioned that the monorail pilots would still enable motion of the trains. So in essence, it would be more along the lines of operating a ride. I don't think a completely automated system, where trains come and go completely on a timer, could ever work at WDW, even with modifications to the trains and station (such as fixing the "step" for wheelchairs.)

PhilharMagician

But that is not the type of fully automated system that was being referenced. The proposed automation is more like auto pilot, not a modern automation system like is used on other systems.

No, I understand. There will still be an CM in the front cab for emergencies and CM's on the platform. The control system will control spacing, speed, stopping and most important is the fact that the system does not have to go into a complete holding pattern while switching trains between lines. I have been caught in this too many times and have had some long waits trying to get from the CR to Epcot for dinner.

This is a good step towards the next generation, unfortunately this is about 20 years behind schedule. If they can get the current system running more efficiently and flexible, then there is a chance for expansion in the future.

OKWBamaJim

Original Poster
I am very happy to see that this is a topic, that warrants my first post on one of my FAVORITE sites, is so popular!!! ***brown noser***

I am enjoying hearing from all sides. Tom Morrow, thanks for the insight. I was leaving out the other talented "dont want to talk with the people, just get my pay" folks out there(LOL).

Let me make sure that I did say what I feel. I dont have an issue with automation, it is the current state of the rails. I really hope this resolves the frequent DOWN times that are happening every day. It is one of the BIGGEST icons of Disney. From the Mickey Mouse club dancing at the parks and Contemporary, to the Muppets and Jim Henson back in the 90's. I am a 1000000% DIE HARD Railie, and always will be. I just want them to take care of the train for my grandkids, and their kids....my three daughters love those trains, and brag to everyone that their Dad helped to test Grandpa Blue when it went online with Bombardier. Better cast attitude, and a monorail that doesnt have green algae growing from the walls.

BTW, do you guys know that they have Monorail Driver reunions thoughout each year? Why? Because we can describe a whole different life, when working in that group. It was the best way a kid like me could have gotten through 19 - 22! This one time in Rails camp, John Travolta decided to leave his room at the GF, and just ride in the front of the train for about an hour. Young girl in her twenties, driving....best moment in her life...

Everyone is talking about the wreck? Did you see the video on that young boy's memorial page of the little boy riding in the front with him a few months before the wreck? That family might not ever find out what happened to that young driver, but he made an impact on that family. Thats what it is all about. We did it, like no other. No other theme park did what Walt set out to do.

>Retiring from my soap box...carry on....

Bama James

flynnibus

Premium Member
Part of the problem with a completely automated system is that there is a step between the monorails and the platforms.

Well dispatch could always be controlled or at least held by station operators. I think of it more as a situation to handle not as much a problem.

The biggest change for automation would be the block and tracking systems. They will have to transition from the simple, but elegant mapo to something more precise, but in return, more complex. Mapo simplicity is nice to upkeep but wouldn't be enough for the automated system (due to all the times override is required as part of standard operation). A more complex system leads you to potentially more complex to maintain and keep operating.

Tom Morrow

Well dispatch could always be controlled or at least held by station operators.
From the article in the OP:
“The system will allow us to monitor and control train movements in real time,” said Sam. But don’t worry, this doesn’t mean there will no longer be monorail drivers. “The role might change,” said Sam. “Instead of actively driving the trains, they still have to enable movement and make spiels to guests. In no way is the pilot position going away.”

Tom

Beta Return
Here would be my post telling you guys about this in may of this year. ironically, certain parts of my post were almost verbatim what the article says... I wonder why that is....... hmmmmmm..

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...c-and-contemporary.837973/page-2#post-4965736

Ummm, could be that you're Matt Roseboom and write for Orlando Attractions? Or, perhaps Matt Roseboom used internet fan sites as his sources? I don't know. I give up. Why was your post on a fan forum quoted almost verbatim?

DisneyJoe

Automate the system. Monorail arrives automatically, opens doors, waits 2 mins, closes doors, leaves, new train arrives in 2 minutes. Something along those lines would greatly increase efficiencies of the system. Put it on an automated system and schedule like mass transit systems around the the Northeast and it would be heaven.

I agree the efficiency would be great.

However, the WDW platforms currently couldn't handle wheelchairs or ECV's unless there is an override - or they make it so you don't need a ramp to get from the platform into the car.

I was able to get a wheelchair on and off the Orlando Airport monorail with little to no assistance as no ramp is needed. Not sure what an ECV would do, I'll pay more attention next time (end of September) to see if it would work.

oops - I see that someone already posted about the step!

wdwfan22

I like the idea of a person in the cab (or whatever it is called) who can break, if necessary. I prefer an older person with experience, too, not a college kid.

I'm not sure about hiring government people. I'll have to trust that Disney saw something in this guy that makes them think he will succeed.

If I'm not mistaken I don't believe that College Program particiaptants are allowed to drive the trains anymore. So you won't have to worry about an intern being in the front of the cab. Also if I heard correctly monorail blue is already equipped with the new automation software.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
If I'm not mistaken I don't believe that College Program particiaptants are allowed to drive the trains anymore. So you won't have to worry about an intern being in the front of the cab. Also if I heard correctly monorail blue is already equipped with the new automation software.
It's not really that they aren't allowed to, it's that there is a huge back log of drive training to do, combined with the absolutely perfection required to pass the check out.

Also I've been told monorail Black has had a secret chip in it for 2 years which allowed monorail central to track its location as a test for this new automatic system. Apparently it frequently loses location information or gives incorrect information. So, either improvements have been or still need to be made before it can be implemented on a large scale basis.

Mark6drvr

I am very happy to see that this is a topic, that warrants my first post on one of my FAVORITE sites, is so popular!!! ***brown noser***

I am enjoying hearing from all sides. Tom Morrow, thanks for the insight. I was leaving out the other talented "dont want to talk with the people, just get my pay" folks out there(LOL).

Let me make sure that I did say what I feel. I dont have an issue with automation, it is the current state of the rails. I really hope this resolves the frequent DOWN times that are happening every day. It is one of the BIGGEST icons of Disney. From the Mickey Mouse club dancing at the parks and Contemporary, to the Muppets and Jim Henson back in the 90's. I am a 1000000% DIE HARD Railie, and always will be. I just want them to take care of the train for my grandkids, and their kids....my three daughters love those trains, and brag to everyone that their Dad helped to test Grandpa Blue when it went online with Bombardier. Better cast attitude, and a monorail that doesnt have green algae growing from the walls.

BTW, do you guys know that they have Monorail Driver reunions thoughout each year? Why? Because we can describe a whole different life, when working in that group. It was the best way a kid like me could have gotten through 19 - 22! This one time in Rails camp, John Travolta decided to leave his room at the GF, and just ride in the front of the train for about an hour. Young girl in her twenties, driving....best moment in her life...

Everyone is talking about the wreck? Did you see the video on that young boy's memorial page of the little boy riding in the front with him a few months before the wreck? That family might not ever find out what happened to that young driver, but he made an impact on that family. Thats what it is all about. We did it, like no other. No other theme park did what Walt set out to do.

>Retiring from my soap box...carry on....

Bama James

James,

if you remember when we joined the company they only hired two out of every eleven applicants (and no, I have no idea what the percentage was, I don't do math). That was because you had to meet stricter standards and actually want to perform the "role". It also appears that much of this discussion has not been about things we "assumed" and that basically is that it takes people to make the guest experience, not simply the attraction and we had it drummed into our heads that Rails was NOT an attraction. If you remember, going from the IV to the VI required moving from manual systems to automated systems that were much more restrictive and we adapted to that automation and could still kill with cycle times (the whole premise apparently behind the latest need for automation).

Yes there are other automated systems (and even Las Vegas abandoned the Disney scheme when it was discovered that all people wanted to do was go from point a to point b - besides, the biggest thing to see in LV is the back of the Bally's employment center, lol) but they're not the jumping off point or the final memory of a "magical" visit to a place that you just spent three years salary for. You and I both know folks that are still there and that they understand the old ways and why things were what they were BUT like many other companies, things change and the cast members have to adapt to the "latest and greatest" whether they like it/agree with it or not. It's simply survival and our old friends are well able to adapt and change :)

That said until they get rid of all of the -3mph switches even automation isn't going to solve the switch beam problems (and some of us could get through them manually just as quickly as any automation could as you very well know). Until then, put GPS in the trains and let Central monitor (and of course, report the minutia - remember turnstile readings?), put leads back in the stations to keep things running, screen applicants for the desire to perform the role and I'd bet dollars to donuts that the cycle times and guest sat ratings would improve considerably. When they finally replace the -3mph switches, let "automation" take over for those times that switching is required and as soon as the beam is cleared NV switch back to driver control.

Bottom line is that people make the experience, not just the trains, if the CM roles aren't adapted along with the automation it'll make the Monorail "experience" simply a way to get from point a to point b. Unfortunately while the execs all talk a good game regarding guest and cast experience and morale, it's all about profit. Profit and the fact that the next "generation" of park visitors isn't going to care if they actually interact with a walking, talking live human being. And green algae? REALLY? Off my soapbox :)

Ray

Timon

Just guessing but I would bet Disney will use the Bombardier CITYFLO 650 automation system since it exists and has a proven record. Mark6dvr is correct the original single pivot switches need to be replaced with Bombardier's displacement beams switches which are similar to the Epcot switches but are full speed and change in 15 seconds. Also I believe LV Monorail is automated all the way to the Monorail Shop.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom