Goodbye, monorail drivers.......? Sorry if already posted.

devoy1701

If even half of that article has any truth to it, it would be a wonderful thing! Disney's transportation has a lot to be desired. Yes - it's huge. Yes - they move a TON of people. But automation and the use of technology can make a HUGE difference, which could result in the "free transportation" seeming more like a perk than a nuisance.

This.

Automate the system. Monorail arrives automatically, opens doors, waits 2 mins, closes doors, leaves, new train arrives in 2 minutes. Something along those lines would greatly increase efficiencies of the system. Put it on an automated system and schedule like mass transit systems around the the Northeast and it would be heaven.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Where can I read about this incident. I'm guessing it was a tragedy. I'm going to call my dad tonight and tell him...it's going to so bum him out

Google there is plenty out there. Monorail driver killed due to mistakes in operating the track switch and inability of anyone to intervene until it was too late

asianway

Google there is plenty out there. Monorail driver killed due to mistakes in operating the track switch and inability of anyone to intervene until it was too late
Entire NTSB report is up-enough to make you vomit when you see the culture that allowed it to happen

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The NTSB recommended people stop riding up front as a driver distraction; no driver, no distraction.
That is not the only issue. The current monorails were designed with next to zero impact protection. Even a minor accident would result in the entire cab folding in. It would not take much to prove that Disney knowingly put guests in harms way should the same thing happen again.

JungleTrekFan

That is not the only issue. The current monorails were designed with next to zero impact protection. Even a minor accident would result in the entire cab folding in. It would not take much to prove that Disney knowingly put guests in harms way should the same thing happen again.

Now thats not completely true, a motorcycle has zero impact protection to its rider(s). The Mark IV’s are designed so that their nose (pretty much the entire driver cabin) crumbles so that the impact is greatly reduced. Very similar to how car bumpers work.
They are not designed like regular trains or subways that use heavy metals to protect the cabin so that when it is in an impact it does not crumble but instead would cause the train to buckle and possibly derail and cause a lot more injuries then what is implace on the Mark IV’s.

But back to the main topic, I am glad Disney transportation is taking these steps forward to help move guests and cast alike more efficiently. Complete automation would really increase efficiency of the monorails, but I’m sure this will really help too.

Goofnut1980

The article talks about this...

"Sam said they’ve looked into electric and hybrid buses but haven’t found any that are applicable for them right now. “Those types of buses work better in an urban environment with stop and go traffic,” said Sam."

Thanks... I totally started gabbing before I finished the article.. oops

officeboy

In theory it would not take much to prove Disney was negligent if harm befell another cast member in a crushed cab....

I am all for automation of the WDW monorail system. As has been mentioned it could go a long way towards improving system efficiencies. However I understand from personal sources the fleet is still maintained to a state of repair that lends itself to less than desirable reliability. It seems to me from the outside looking in that if they are unwilling to make the fleet more reliable automating the system would only exacerbate the maintenance issue. Lipstick on a pig similar to NexGen?

lazyboy97o

Automate the system. Monorail arrives automatically, opens doors, waits 2 mins, closes doors, leaves, new train arrives in 2 minutes. Something along those lines would greatly increase efficiencies of the system. Put it on an automated system and schedule like mass transit systems around the the Northeast and it would be heaven.
Part of the problem with a completely automated system is that there is a step between the monorails and the platforms.

luv

I like the idea of a person in the cab (or whatever it is called) who can break, if necessary. I prefer an older person with experience, too, not a college kid.

I'm not sure about hiring government people. I'll have to trust that Disney saw something in this guy that makes them think he will succeed.

lazyboy97o

Ok, I'll bite. What does the step have to do with automation?
A fully automated system comes and goes on its own. Wheelchair bound users must board in this timeframe without assistance. As it is now, wheelchair guests using the Walt Disney World Monorail System require assistance from a Cast Member who must place down a ramp which allows them to board.

um...."Please Mind the Gap"?
It is an elevation change, not a gap. It is not an insurmountable problem, as the M-VI monorails do not have this elevation change, but I doubt it is an issue Disney wants to pay to modify. I assume this is why the driver position is being kept. It seems that Disney currently tries to pack wheelchairs into as few cars as possible, which means they require more time to load and unload, plus the time required to set up the ramps. I do not think a fully automated system would be bad, just do not see it likely that Disney wants to pay for all of the required upgrades.

monorail81

I like the idea of a person in the cab (or whatever it is called) who can break, if necessary. I prefer an older person with experience, too, not a college kid.

I'm not sure about hiring government people. I'll have to trust that Disney saw something in this guy that makes them think he will succeed.

I started as a "college kid" and I ended up staying for quite a number of years walking away from the department with several Safe Driving awards and ZERO safety violations on my record. Age doesn't have anything to do with it. It has to do with training, learning and desire to be there. May I point out that the driver of Pink was an older cast member who didn't know what beam he was on. Any decent driver who understood what it mean to "make visuals" would have been able to recognize they were on the incorrect beam. Age is not the factor in that department. It is a lack of training, caring and budget.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom