Goodbye Jojo and Goliath

ScorpionX

I haven't watched Playhouse Disney in at least 6 years. I wish we had seen Rolie Polie Olie back in the day. That was the cutest show.

He appeared at the Magic Kingdom's Halloween Party from 2003 to 2006.

Ok here's what I'm hearing-Jojo will be staying and won't be retired. Goliath will still be going away and her Play n Dine replacement could possibly be Handy Manny.

Goliath could move to Epcot if they ever build the Equatorial Africa Pavilion. Animal Kingdom would be a good place for him, as well.

I think that Disney could do a lot with a Playhouse theme if it was done well. There were a lot of characters mentioned in this forum and then there are others from recent years like Johnny and the Sprites. They could switch them out- cut down on dry cleaning the same costumes! I think they should also rerun some of the older popular series on Playhouse like Bear in the Big Blue House. That would be better than repeating the same shows all the time! I would take my toddler to a playhouse meal if it had characters he might recognize from the past couple of years- JoJo is WAY before our time plus she gives me the creeps. The meal and show became outdated because it has been soooooo long since they changed it but if they updated it like once a year (or even two!) I think they could really make some money. For what its worth some of the most annoying characters are the ones toddlers (and that is the target market for this) like best- my nephew loves Oso. Alas there is no bigger evil on children's television than Yo Gabba Gabba. Worst.Show.Ever.

We saw Johnny and the Sprites live during some celebration thing they did at DHS and it was so great. My daughter was I think 2 at the time and LOVED it. And that guy has so much energy - I would be exhausted.

I admitt though Playhouse Disney got stale in our house pretty fast once my daughter turned 2 or 2.5 - she suddenly was more interested in the shows on Noggin/Nick Jr like Max and Ruby, Dora the Explorer, and Wow Wow Wubsy. Not to mention Playhouse Disney isn't on in the evenings when we are at home watching TV as a family. I can't even think of any other Playhouse shows except for Mickey Mouse Club house, Handy Mandy, and Super Sleuths - which is ending.

My daughter did love Jojo and Goalith though - we had a DVD of 4 shows and we watched those alot. Bummer to hear they'll be leaving.

~Amanda

ScorpionX

I think that Disney could do a lot with a Playhouse theme if it was done well. There were a lot of characters mentioned in this forum and then there are others from recent years like Johnny and the Sprites. They could switch them out- cut down on dry cleaning the same costumes! I think they should also rerun some of the older popular series on Playhouse like Bear in the Big Blue House. That would be better than repeating the same shows all the time! I would take my toddler to a playhouse meal if it had characters he might recognize from the past couple of years- JoJo is WAY before our time plus she gives me the creeps. The meal and show became outdated because it has been soooooo long since they changed it but if they updated it like once a year (or even two!) I think they could really make some money. For what its worth some of the most annoying characters are the ones toddlers (and that is the target market for this) like best- my nephew loves Oso. Alas there is no bigger evil on children's television than Yo Gabba Gabba. Worst.Show.Ever.

Look at this Super Bowl ad with the red guy from Yo Gabba Gabba!, disneyny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBh3r2mVFR8

disneyny

Actually I just saw that ad on tv last night and was like what the ??? That show is seriously not ok and I don't think it is appropriate for children. It gives me the creeps!

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
They can switch out the Little Einstein characters.... right after my 2 year old sees them. ;)

I'm really disappointed with the newer PhDisney shows now. Chuggington, Oso, and Jungle Junction are really rather lame. None of our kids like them and they all have watched Disney Channel over the years. Rolie Polie Olie was very much liked, along with LE and MM Clubhouse. Those kinds of shows work and endure, crap like they are putting on now doesn't. But since Disney no longer seems to care about lasting quality (Phineas and Ferb being the noteable exception), why should anyone be surprised? Manny is decent, but how far can it go?

fmingo36

All I can say is thank God for DVDs. We found a video of Bear and the Big Blue House on Youtube and she LOVED it. She wanted to watch it all the time. Luckily I was able to find a couple of BITBBH Dvds on ebay and bought them immediately. She will dance around to that show all day long if I let her.

I miss Bear in the Play-House Disney show (cha-cha-cha)

smash111778

I think that the breakfast characters were not only JoJo and Goliath but also June and Leo from "The Little Einsteins."

It seems to be confirmed that at the very least Goliath but JoJo will remain and Handy Manny will be (or has been) added.

Can anyone confirm whether:

1. Any other Handy Manny characters will be present?

2. June and Leo will still be present?

Thanks, everyone.:wave:

My family and I will be visiting during Thanksgiving, and my 2 year old daughter loves Handy Manny and The Little Einsteins, so she would love this character meal.

d43boy

I can confirm that Handy Manny, JoJo, June and Leo are currently meeting at Play and Dine.

We just did this breakfast 5 days ago, and that's who was there. (I suppose it's always subject to change at any time)

Hope this helps!

NewtoDisney2009

Yeah, Oso's pretty bad. We've loved Playhouse Disney through the years (both the tv shows and the attraction at DHS) but it seems to be a dying franchise. The older shows are becoming stale and the new ones are either awful or impossible to translate to walkaround characters.

I think they gave up on My Friends Tigger and Pooh way too soon. I understand that they want to go in a new direction with the characters (actually back to the old direction) but the new show was a great way to re-introduce the characters to today's kids.

Disney needs to do a better job of keeping recent movies and characters in the limelight rather than having them disappear after a year. I'd like to see JoJo and Goliath replaced with the characters from Up, Bolt or even The Incredibles or Princess and the Frog. That way, they could get something fresh in the Animation Building too. I'd really like to see the characters from Chicken Little or Meet The Robinsons show up once in a while, but I know that won't happen!

I agree with this also! There are so many great movies that are under represented!

forevermickey

We went to the Pay and Dine breakfast 2 times- this year I opted out- kinda of board of it- I would like to see more a variety of characters- I love all the Playhouse Disney characters-

You know who my daughter and I really miss...... Higglytown Heros, Love them. I wasn't bored of that at all- Stanly was really cool too!

Obviously parents and kids exist who appreciate these characters, but it would be nice to stay on theme a little bit and have some of the DHS streetmosphere characters populate this restaurant. After all, it is supposed to be a nostalgic hollywood eatery.

PurpleDragon

My son still loves watching Playhouse Disney they have pretty much removed Little Einsteins from the rotation and replaced it with Chuggington; Special Agen Oso and Jungle Junction are on more often these days in place of Tigger and Pooh. "Tasty Time with Ze Fronk" has taken the place of "Feeling Good with Jojo" as far as the in-between shorts.

Also I don't think Chuggington is anything like Thomas, the Thomas shorts are nothing more than stop motion animation with an overlay of George Carlin reading a story from a book in a dry/monotone voice. I can't stand the Thomas shorts, Chuggington is a lot more bearable.

My son has taken to the new Chuggington, Jungle Junction and Oso shows rather well, I doubt he would be at all disappointed if they were to have a breakfast with Oso, Jungle Junction, Handy Manny, or any other of the Playhouse Disney lineup. But he prefers Mickey and the gang over any other characters, which is why I setup a character breakfast with them over the Playhouse Disney gang.

montyz81

Where is Roli Poli Oli, that is what I want to know.. My son loved him... I know I know, he is old and stale and he got canceled.

Brian_WDW74

On a slightly related topic, Variety reports that Disney is ending its Soapnet channel in 2012 and changing it to "Disney Junior." It will also rename the current "Playhouse Disney" block on Disney Channel to "Disney Junior" in early 2011. I expect that the show and breakfast will be renamed around that time, too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom