Goodbye Jojo and Goliath

champdisney

On a slightly related topic, Variety reports that Disney is ending its Soapnet channel in 2012 and changing it to "Disney Junior." It will also rename the current "Playhouse Disney" block on Disney Channel to "Disney Junior" in early 2011. I expect that the show and breakfast will be renamed around that time, too.
I hope this means the end of that annual Super Soap Weekend that's held in DHS, maybe bring in that rumored Marvel Weekend concept that's been talked about as a replacement? ;)

NewfieFan

My son still loves watching Playhouse Disney they have pretty much removed Little Einsteins from the rotation and replaced it with Chuggington; Special Agen Oso and Jungle Junction are on more often these days in place of Tigger and Pooh. "Tasty Time with Ze Fronk" has taken the place of "Feeling Good with Jojo" as far as the in-between shorts.

Also I don't think Chuggington is anything like Thomas, the Thomas shorts are nothing more than stop motion animation with an overlay of George Carlin reading a story from a book in a dry/monotone voice. I can't stand the Thomas shorts, Chuggington is a lot more bearable.

My son has taken to the new Chuggington, Jungle Junction and Oso shows rather well, I doubt he would be at all disappointed if they were to have a breakfast with Oso, Jungle Junction, Handy Manny, or any other of the Playhouse Disney lineup. But he prefers Mickey and the gang over any other characters, which is why I setup a character breakfast with them over the Playhouse Disney gang.

My kids don't like any of the new shows! (They are starting to get a little older now but they miss their old favorites.) They loved Little Einsteins and My Friends Tigger and Pooh. They also really liked Higgly Town Heros and Stanley.

I, myself, really liked Stanley! He was a great character and a very educational show!

Susannah

I think the real issue here - and it's one that is obvious through out this thread - is that kids recycle shows like crazy these days. My 6 year old niece loved Jo Jo and Goliath, but when we did Play n Dine she was more interested in the Little Einstein characters because that's who excited her little brother. They both love Oso right now, but I wouldn't expect that to last either. While I'm still devoted to The Smurfs, this "instant gratification" generation is a wee bit different... That breakfast is always going to seem a little out of date because it's hard to keep up with who's the most popular.

Now all that being said, I went to the Playhouse Disney dance party recently, and when Handy Manny walked in you would have thought a rock star had arrived. All the kids followed him around like a row of bobbing, falling, uncoordinated ducklings. I'm pretty sure he's going to be around for quite awhile. Plus we'll probably see the return of some old favorites when the new channel launches. They have to fill the line up somehow. Maybe that will filter over into Play n Dine?

DonaldDoleWhip

I know it won't happen, but why not change Hollywood & Vine back to what it used to be? I miss the meal with Minnie, Goofy, Chip & Dale (and maybe Pluto) dressed up as Hollywood Stars. It goes without saying, but these characters are timeless and appeal to pretty much everyone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom