Good food, great friends and a near heat stroke

What do all those things have in common? They all happened in a mere 4 days worth of Disney fun and frivolity.

As usual for the Yoda household the trip started way early. We left the house at 4:45 AM. By 5:30 I was the only one left awake. I was however kept quite entertained by my oldest daughter who was sitting next to me. She had gotten home late from work the night before and instead of grabbing 3 or 4 hours of sleep she elected to go with the "I'll just stay up all night!" logic. She was slumped over, held up only by the seat belt, and would jerk herself up about every ten minutes only to slump back down moments later. We made it to WDW without incident about 7:00 AM and made our ritual stop at the IHOP just outside of DTD on 535. I do not know what it is about this place but the wait staff has a Disney quality about them.

From there we made our way to Pop Century to pick up our package. We did the online check in and it worked quite well. For some reason we always seem to time our resort arrivals exactly ten minutes after a full DME bus drops off and this trip would be no different. The regular check in line was packed and the online check in line was empty. We were in and out in 5 minutes.

The obligatory Pop century the road warrior years picture.

P1270349.JPG

Next stop DHS......

We made it there just before opening and met up with my big brother and his family. First stop was of course TSMM. We caught one of Luxo's shows while waiting in the line outside.

My middle daughter's boyfriend, Neal, got the high score for the day. I am not sure I like him anymore. Not only can he kick my a$$ in real life but he can do it on TSMM as well.:lol:

From there we went to ToT.

P1260901.JPG

This is the face of a first time ToT rider.

P1260914.JPG

This is the face of a ToT veteran.

P1260920.JPG

We of course could not go to DHS and not see Mulch, Sweat and Shears. My oldest daughter decided they needed a bit more cowbell.

100_6208.JPG

The day at DHS with the family was finished up at Indy. I have seen this show a million times and it never gets old. Apparently I am not the only one because even though the park was deserted Indy was around 80% full.

P1270156.JPG

We went back to the Pop to hit the pool for a little while and get ready for a 9:00 PM dinner at T-rex. I went back to DHS to meet up with Marie (wannabebelle) about 5:30 to catch the finally of American Idol. Marie loves the show and I was there solely for research purposes.:lookaroun I have to be honest though. In spite of all the negative flack this attraction got before they even so much as the first refurb wall was in place it is a very well done attraction. I am a casual fan of the AI and it replicates the show incredibly well. The stone cold truth is that if you like AI, even a little, you will like this attraction. If you do not like AI you will hate it. The only criticism I really have for the attraction is that is should have been build years earlier.

The night finished up at T-Rex. I have to say I really like this place. Like it's not so identical twin, RFC, it is a bit loud and very busy but I really like the theme much better than RFC. Food and service is on par with what RFC use to be before it's downward slide a few years ago. We got to sit in the ice cave which was very cool but it has one major flaw....the lighting. You are bathed in this blue light which in itself is not bad but it removes the color red from your food. This became an issue when 3 of us ordered medium rare steaks. When we cut into them the looked well done. When they brought out a flash light it was clear that they were done correctly but under that blue light they looked burnt to a crisp. I seriously doubt that this was the first time that this happened and the problem could easily be solved by giving the wait staff a mini flash light and a little explanation. As expected my 8 year old suckered me into a build a dino. Thank god they were regular build a bear prices. I was able to get out of there for around $35.

The Ice Cave

P1270210.JPG

The Chocolate Extinction. A simple but very good desert.

P1270215.JPG

HollyBelle

Wonderful trip report and pictures. I especially love the juxtaposition of the rookie and veteran Tower of Terror guests!!:sohappy: Thanks for sharing.

WDWFigment

Very nice Jack Sparrow costume. You look pretty close to the real thing, nice work!

Before the next trip, announce a policy that anyone who beats you at Toy Story Mania isn't invited back for the next trip. That ought to teach them!

smk

I agree about going back to WDW and leaving when you are done, not when you have to. I wonder when all us Disney freaks would be done? I don't want to leave when the parks close at night, let alone try to stay until I think I have seen it all! Looks like you all had a good time!

brent2124

Its a small world after all. I was at the Rose and Crown that night, also sitting outside eating dinner watching Illuminations. As I was leaving the park that night after the rain had subdued I heared someone yell "Hey Richard" and when there was no reply they yelled " Hey Yoda". It got me thinking maybe it was you and now I know it was.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Original Poster
Its a small world after all. I was at the Rose and Crown that night, also sitting outside eating dinner watching Illuminations. As I was leaving the park that night after the rain had subdued I heared someone yell "Hey Richard" and when there was no reply they yelled " Hey Yoda". It got me thinking maybe it was you and now I know it was.
Next time you will know to come over and say hi. Including myself there were three forum members at the table that night.

Good stuff. So what's the dots on the foreheads of Zoie and her BF?

Mickey Confetti from what I can see. Belle
That was it. The waitress at Tusker House brought them birthday cake with the Mickey Confetti. I stuck one on Zoie's forehead and hilarity ensued.

KingStefan

Very cool TR. Thanks. Hope to get back to mine soon. Still looking for work. Got a few leads, though.

Glad you had a great time. DDP is really way too much food, isn't it? I loved not having to worry about the bill, but I think we could do better next time now that we're veterans.

Sorry you didn't get into Le Cellier like you wanted, but it sounds like it turned out OK anyway.

A bit OT, but thanks to you (Richard) and Marie and Pam for making our August trip really great. I appreciated your help.

Later.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Original Poster
Very cool TR. Thanks. Hope to get back to mine soon. Still looking for work. Got a few leads, though.

Glad you had a great time. DDP is really way too much food, isn't it? I loved not having to worry about the bill, but I think we could do better next time now that we're veterans.

Sorry you didn't get into Le Cellier like you wanted, but it sounds like it turned out OK anyway.

A bit OT, but thanks to you (Richard) and Marie and Pam for making our August trip really great. I appreciated your help.

Later.
I was not to bummed about Le Cellier. It is a great place but it is not the end all be all. When you add watching illuminations during a frog strangling downpour while remaining high and dry R&C turns into the best restaurant in all of WDW.

The DDP does present a bit of a conundrum. On one hand it was great being able to order anything and not worrying about the price. It was also nice have it all prepaid. However, had I been paying for it I do not think I would have made out as well when compared to TiWL and ordering what I would normally get, splitting or skipping deserts, etc. It is also a bit of a pain on that last day if you had not really been keeping track of your snack at CS credits but most of that is due to Disney's systems. If they would fix it to where you could scan the card use what credits are left and pay the difference it would be much simpler. As it sits right now they have to be rung up separately. Also the desert portion of the CS meal can e a bit confusing from location to location. For the most part that is no big deal but in the resort food courts I found it to be a bit of a pain.

Keep you chin up and your attitude positive and an opportunity will present itself.

You are quite welcome. It was a pleasure helping you with you trip and I look forward to helping you again.

corey154

Great trip master yoda! Thanks for sharing, after reading i now understand why you mentioned almost having a heat stroke in a previous thread! that costume looked hot!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Original Poster
Great trip master yoda! Thanks for sharing, after reading i now understand why you mentioned almost having a heat stroke in a previous thread! that costume looked hot!
You have no idea. It is not the most uncomfortable costume I have ever done but is definitely in the top 3.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Original Poster
I will be there on the 13th at 10am having my macadamia pancakes that I believe you were the one to recommend them. I am now hooked. :slurp::lol:
That almost makes me feel kind of like a Disney based crack dealer.:lol:

We have a breakfast set up for our next trip in late November and a dinner ADR there for the following weekend.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom