Good food, great friends and a near heat stroke

What do all those things have in common? They all happened in a mere 4 days worth of Disney fun and frivolity.

As usual for the Yoda household the trip started way early. We left the house at 4:45 AM. By 5:30 I was the only one left awake. I was however kept quite entertained by my oldest daughter who was sitting next to me. She had gotten home late from work the night before and instead of grabbing 3 or 4 hours of sleep she elected to go with the "I'll just stay up all night!" logic. She was slumped over, held up only by the seat belt, and would jerk herself up about every ten minutes only to slump back down moments later. We made it to WDW without incident about 7:00 AM and made our ritual stop at the IHOP just outside of DTD on 535. I do not know what it is about this place but the wait staff has a Disney quality about them.

From there we made our way to Pop Century to pick up our package. We did the online check in and it worked quite well. For some reason we always seem to time our resort arrivals exactly ten minutes after a full DME bus drops off and this trip would be no different. The regular check in line was packed and the online check in line was empty. We were in and out in 5 minutes.

The obligatory Pop century the road warrior years picture.

P1270349.JPG

Next stop DHS......

We made it there just before opening and met up with my big brother and his family. First stop was of course TSMM. We caught one of Luxo's shows while waiting in the line outside.

My middle daughter's boyfriend, Neal, got the high score for the day. I am not sure I like him anymore. Not only can he kick my a$$ in real life but he can do it on TSMM as well.:lol:

From there we went to ToT.

P1260901.JPG

This is the face of a first time ToT rider.

P1260914.JPG

This is the face of a ToT veteran.

P1260920.JPG

We of course could not go to DHS and not see Mulch, Sweat and Shears. My oldest daughter decided they needed a bit more cowbell.

100_6208.JPG

The day at DHS with the family was finished up at Indy. I have seen this show a million times and it never gets old. Apparently I am not the only one because even though the park was deserted Indy was around 80% full.

P1270156.JPG

We went back to the Pop to hit the pool for a little while and get ready for a 9:00 PM dinner at T-rex. I went back to DHS to meet up with Marie (wannabebelle) about 5:30 to catch the finally of American Idol. Marie loves the show and I was there solely for research purposes.:lookaroun I have to be honest though. In spite of all the negative flack this attraction got before they even so much as the first refurb wall was in place it is a very well done attraction. I am a casual fan of the AI and it replicates the show incredibly well. The stone cold truth is that if you like AI, even a little, you will like this attraction. If you do not like AI you will hate it. The only criticism I really have for the attraction is that is should have been build years earlier.

The night finished up at T-Rex. I have to say I really like this place. Like it's not so identical twin, RFC, it is a bit loud and very busy but I really like the theme much better than RFC. Food and service is on par with what RFC use to be before it's downward slide a few years ago. We got to sit in the ice cave which was very cool but it has one major flaw....the lighting. You are bathed in this blue light which in itself is not bad but it removes the color red from your food. This became an issue when 3 of us ordered medium rare steaks. When we cut into them the looked well done. When they brought out a flash light it was clear that they were done correctly but under that blue light they looked burnt to a crisp. I seriously doubt that this was the first time that this happened and the problem could easily be solved by giving the wait staff a mini flash light and a little explanation. As expected my 8 year old suckered me into a build a dino. Thank god they were regular build a bear prices. I was able to get out of there for around $35.

The Ice Cave

P1270210.JPG

The Chocolate Extinction. A simple but very good desert.

P1270215.JPG

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Richard,
Great trip report. A few things i would like to point out. Some personal and some attraction related. At any rate, once again, I wish I could have made that party 19 total. We are shooting for next year.

- I need Riley to influence Isabeau into being as fearless as she is. So far we dont have that problem (head first dives off the couch), but you never know. Way to go Riley... you ToT freak.
- Im glad that you reported good things about JC. I have skipped it a few times in the past due to poor AA's and audio. I felt like i was listening to Charlie Brown's teacher in the past
- Same with HoP. I appreciate you unbias (which ever side) political views and keeping it about the show. I know you well enough to know that you would do just that, but I think it is worth mentioning. So many times in the last 9 years we have seen it too many times from others. I am excited to hear that the show evolved a bit. Good for them, it needed it.
- MNSSHP. Wow. I hate that the heat made you crash early. At least you recovered quickly and you werent sick the next day. Good call. I bet that bus ride sucked though. Nothing like a LONG bus ride when you are that tired and possibly sick. I have been there.
- Way to go Brittney. I think you have a Stevie Nick's future or a Gwen Stefani? :D
- Neal does look like he could kick your butt, and mine too. :lol:
- I hate to hear your report of TTA. I value your opinions and observations on these type deals and it is a bit saddening. I do hope that they clean the track a bit better. In 2006, it sure had a bunch of rust spots that were begging for paint. The tunnels too; not rust but just muck.
- That is awesome about R&C. Really cool.

I know what Im mailing you for Christmas now.... a kloosh ball. :lol: That is hysterical.

All in all. Good stuff. Right now you are at F&WF. Jealous again.

Joel

kstella

Day 2 started with a 9:00 AM ADR at WCC for 18. In attendance were my family, my brothers family, my daughter's boyfriend and his mother, Marie and Martin and his crew. Marie mounted a steed in the pony races and a member of Martin's group got the airplane treatment from out server when she was perplexed about me pouring gravy on my biscuits. As usual my stomach hurt from pigging out on the skillet and my face hurt from laughing so much. As expected Martin and company are absolutely class acts and incredibly fun to be around. From there we took the boat over to MK to catch three must see attractions for this trip. First on the list was JC. The refurb looked very good. I can not remember the last time I saw that many AA's working on JC. Next stop was HoP. All I can say is wow!. The refurb and the story line change was incredible. I love the way the new storyline features the president's and does not center around the civil war. From there we acquired dole whips as I fear incarceration by the Disney police if I was to set foot in MK and not get a dole whip.

Even the indigenous life at MK loves dole whips.

P1270272.JPG

The next and last stop was the TTA. I was not super impressed with this refurb. The station has a fresh coat of paint and there is the new lighting but it seems like they did a half arsed job in cleaning up the rest of the attraction. The sets look fresh but the tunnels still look dirty. Much to my chagrin there was nothing to see inside of Space Mountain.

After that we headed back to the resort to get ready for MNSSHP. On the way back to Pop my wife showed me a picture that she took at the resort that made me double over in pain.

P1270342.JPG

So why would this picture make me double over? Lets just say that I had an unfortunate incident many years ago with my wife, a koosh and a throw that could of landed her a starting pitching gig with the Yankee's.:eek:

We made it to MK right at 5 and met up with our party in front of PotC.

Me and my oldest

100_6152.JPG

Zoie and Neal

100_6150.JPG

P1270333.JPG

After a quick ride on PotC we made our way over to the Noodle station to meet up with Martin. We then made our way over to HM for the mandatory ride of this classic attraction.

As usual MNSSHP was a blast until.......

One thing I have yet to mention was how hot it was on this trip. The heat and the humidity bordered on unbearable at times. After more than 5 hours wearing 30 lbs of material and a wig I began to feel a bit iffy. I decide to call it a night a little after ten. The rest of the family stayed at MK and I took the bus back to POP. After getting back to the resort and getting out of my costume I took my temperature and it was approaching 101. Nothing like a little heat stroke to cap off the evening! I spent some time in a cold shower and my temperature was back to normal by about midnight so both the crisis and a trip to Celebration hospital were averted. I think this will be the last year I don the Jack Sparrow gear at MNSSHP. My Jedi robes are much more comfortable and less likely to kill me.

Day 3 was at Epcot.

The family wanted to sleep in so I started the day solo. I made it to Epcot about 8:15 and took the first flight out on Soarin. My brother and his family arrived about 9:30 and a few of us went on M:S and then made our way to JII. My family arrived just as we were getting off JII so we took one more spin on the Dreamfinderless abomination followed by a trip to the seas.

Our group split up after that and my wife and I took our 8 year old to get her Kimunicator. If you have not done this I highly recommend it. Do it even if you do not know who Kim Possible is. The immersion and level of detail is without question up to Disney standards. We did 3 of the 7 quests and had an absolute blast. The party plus one regrouped at the 6:30 Off Kilter Show and then made our way to the Rose and Crown. The plus one to our party was non other than everyone's favorite duck from the forums JPVonDrake. Being able to sit across the table and rap about all things Disney with JP made for a great evening. Our server moved us from our table to one of the outside tables with a view of the Lagoon just before iluminations. This was an incredibly good this as the heavens unleashed a furry not seen since Epcot's 25th anniversary. We were able to watch iluminations high and dry while the rest of Epcot was washed away in an almost biblical level flood. The rain stopped shortly after we paid our check and we were returned to POP quite dry and quite stuffed from dinner.

We are so proud of our yungins

P1270353.JPG

Where did he find this t-shirt? My daughter is a HUGE Kingdom Hearts fan and would love it!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Original Poster
Ri
- MNSSHP. Wow. I hate that the heat made you crash early. At least you recovered quickly and you werent sick the next day. Good call. I bet that bus ride sucked though. Nothing like a LONG bus ride when you are that tired and possibly sick. I have been there.

- I hate to hear your report of TTA. I value your opinions and observations on these type deals and it is a bit saddening. I do hope that they clean the track a bit better. In 2006, it sure had a bunch of rust spots that were begging for paint. The tunnels too; not rust but just muck.
l
I only have somewhat fuzzy memories of the bus ride back. Quite honestly I am somewhat surprised that I made it back to the right resort. Apparently I answered a call from Mel and made her mad.....I barely remember the call.:lol:

I took a second spin on the TTA this weekend to hear the new narration. I really have mixed feelings on it. I miss the jokes (Tom Morrow, etc) but I can deal with the new script. TomorrowLand is changing as everything does and the new script seems to fit in with the direction that they are going. The biggest problem I had with it was the narrator himself. He has such a vanilla and completely uninspired voice. Right now it is falling in the same category as SSE in that if they would simply rerecord the same script with a better narrator I would like it. I wouldn't love it but I could deal with it much more.

Where did he find this t-shirt? My daughter is a HUGE Kingdom Hearts fan and would love it!
I am not sure but I will ask him next time I see him.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom