GM Out, Cars In?

larryl9797

It will be a non-US car maker. ( Hundai, Kia, Honda or Toyota) One who wants to represent themselves as a large scale, top tier corporation. Everyone knows the US economy is in the tank right now. But this may be bargin hunting season for a Intl Corp. that wanted to get into Epcot and couldnt before ...
my 2 cents.

Hummer1676

If Toyota gets sponsorship I wonder if we'll see all the managers buzzing around on an i-swing instead of the Segway. :lookaroun

Seriously though, I have to think things can only be improved by actually having a foward-thinking automaker sponsoring TT. It might make the post-show showroom actually feel like something deserving of being in Future World.

The last thing we need are those i-swings rolling around on property. There are already enough of the electric chairs around. Some people need to learn to walk again.

hokielutz

From a sponsorship perspective.... its hard to pick a single major automaker that isn't suffering right now because of the economic downturn.

Since GM and Chrysler took bailout $$ and are now asking for more, I am sure they are trying to get out of as many of their indirect sponsorships as possible. Especially the way Congress has been pouring over and publicly lambasting what they deem as frivolous spending of taxpayer bailout money. In the grand scheme of things, a $1 million/year sponsorship for GM is not that much.

Toyota is not quite as hip as it once was some years ago, with the exception being the Prius. Its sedans have gotten ho-hum reviews as of late... even when given hybrid technology, that only increased the Camry's MPG stats by a marginal %.

If you are looking for something other than Honday, I'd offer up Ford as a possible sponsor. Quality has greatly improved since the early 90's and the Fusion has generated a lot of popularity. Now with the 2010 models just announced, it might be a good wave to jump on. The 2010 Fusion Hybrid will be incorporating a better fuel-saving technology than Toyota, GM or Honda can offer at this time. The Taurus has undergone a 3 year complete makeover for the 2010 model year, with a ton of gadgets and technology that rival many luxury car makers. Its styling has borrowed from the lines of its European counterparts.

No I am not an employee or linked to Ford other than my 1999 Taurus that I own. I was just very impressed by their offerings at the Detroit and Washnington DC auto shows this year, and think they are turning a corner to provide a greater product than they ever have. Will it actually happen, I don't know and won't bet on it.

Another plus is they are not taking Government bailout money.
Downside is their sales are on the rocks, like everyone else.

Anyways... just my opinion.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
From a sponsorship perspective.... its hard to pick a single major automaker that isn't suffering right now because of the economic downturn.

Since GM and Chrysler took bailout $$ and are now asking for more, I am sure they are trying to get out of as many of their indirect sponsorships as possible. Especially the way Congress has been pouring over and publicly lambasting what they deem as frivolous spending of taxpayer bailout money. In the grand scheme of things, a $1 million/year sponsorship for GM is not that much.

Toyota is not quite as hip as it once was some years ago, with the exception being the Prius. Its sedans have gotten ho-hum reviews as of late... even when given hybrid technology, that only increased the Camry's MPG stats by a marginal %.

If you are looking for something other than Honday, I'd offer up Ford as a possible sponsor. Quality has greatly improved since the early 90's and the Fusion has generated a lot of popularity. Now with the 2010 models just announced, it might be a good wave to jump on. The 2010 Fusion Hybrid will be incorporating a better fuel-saving technology than Toyota, GM or Honda can offer at this time. The Taurus has undergone a 3 year complete makeover for the 2010 model year, with a ton of gadgets and technology that rival many luxury car makers. Its styling has borrowed from the lines of its European counterparts.

No I am not an employee or linked to Ford other than my 1999 Taurus that I own. I was just very impressed by their offerings at the Detroit and Washnington DC auto shows this year, and think they are turning a corner to provide a greater product than they ever have. Will it actually happen, I don't know and won't bet on it.

Another plus is they are not taking Government bailout money.
Downside is their sales are on the rocks, like everyone else.

Anyways... just my opinion.
I am thinking that GM has to have at least a rough number for the amount of net profit generated by TT. If that number exceeds the amount of the sponsorship then I can not see a reason, save a better return on marketing dollars from another form of advertising, for them not keep up the sponsorship. Even congress can see the logic in spending a million a year to generate 5 million in profit. Of course if they are not making money off of the sponsorship, which is entirely possible, it will be gone with a quickness.

markjohns1

I am thinking that GM has to have at least a rough number for the amount of net profit generated by TT. If that number exceeds the amount of the sponsorship then I can not see a reason, save a better return on marketing dollars from another form of advertising, for them not keep up the sponsorship. Even congress can see the logic in spending a million a year to generate 5 million in profit. Of course if they are not making money off of the sponsorship, which is entirely possible, it will be gone with a quickness.
I think it'd be next to impossible for someone to determine how much profit was generated from the TT sponsorship. Last time I bought a car, I don't remember being surveyed regarding where I had seen advertising and what particular advertisement or sponsorship convinced me to purchase. The benefit is all about the number of eyeballs that go through there. Much like the CPM metrics for online advertising, or using TV ratings to determine the cost of TV ads, the more people that see ads or a sponsorship, the more conscious the public is aware of the brand, and the more likely they are to purchase. If I recall correctly, Epcot had an estimated annual attendance of 10-11 million in 2007. It's a matter of determining the value of 10-11 million guests seeing your brand and the attraction it is attached to.

Of course, maybe they do have hard numbers. I just have no idea how that would be possible.

That being said, there are probably better ways for GM to spend taxpayer money than to continue with sponsorships like this. I think it was asked before, but does anyone know the amount of the penalty for breaking the sponsorship deal?

hokielutz

Congress seeing logic???

If that is true... then I have a Prius to sell you that can survive a head on collision with an 18-wheeler semi.

Also, the reason for Buick and Tiger Woods dropping their partnership was probably closely tied to GM getting bail-out.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I think it'd be next to impossible for someone to determine how much profit was generated from the TT sponsorship. Last time I bought a car, I don't remember being surveyed regarding where I had seen advertising and what particular advertisement or sponsorship convinced me to purchase. The benefit is all about the number of eyeballs that go through there. Much like the CPM metrics for online advertising, or using TV ratings to determine the cost of TV ads, the more people that see ads or a sponsorship, the more conscious the public is aware of the brand, and the more likely they are to purchase. If I recall correctly, Epcot had an estimated annual attendance of 10-11 million in 2007. It's a matter of determining the value of 10-11 million guests seeing your brand and the attraction it is attached to.

Of course, maybe they do have hard numbers. I just have no idea how that would be possible.

That being said, there are probably better ways for GM to spend taxpayer money than to continue with sponsorships like this. I think it was asked before, but does anyone know the amount of the penalty for breaking the sponsorship deal?
Hard absoultley correct numbers down o the penny....as you said highly doubtful. But they must have at least some idea if they are taking in what they are spending.

Congress seeing logic???

If that is true... then I have a Prius to sell you that can survive a head on collision with an 18-wheeler semi.

Also, the reason for Buick and Tiger Woods dropping their partnership was probably closely tied to GM getting bail-out.
I can dream can't I?:lol:

Missing20K

You all don't see it. The perfect sponsor:

CallahanGuys500.3.jpg

Win.

EPCOT Explorer

Ahhh...Hate when I get into a thread late.:lookaroun:lol:

The Orlando Sentinel says they are trying to get Toyota.
I think it's there best bet. I could totally see them streamlining and even TT.
plussing TT.
I don't think Disney carees at all who drives what. The Mouse just wants sponsors to give him money for attractions ... so if GM does pull out, I'd expect some better run company like Honda or Toyota to move right in ... and it might actually lead to plussing down the road too.

~Pass the Pixie Dust~
Sounds good...However, if we DON'T get a new sponsor is Cars imminent?

And they'll knock down the building and put... what...there, exactly?

Horizons went down because at the end of its life it was dated, fairly unopular and may have had structural issues. there's nothing wrong with the World of Motion building, and it is still a very popular ride. Besides removing the GM references, I don't see any reason to change the ride if no new sponsor could be found. And I see no reason to get rid of it. Did Disney knock down the Universe of Energy when ExxonMobil ended its sponsorship? no, and that ride is far less popular than Test Track is.
?
Both untrue.:D Horizons had HUGE crowds at opening and continued to drawn in people on a constant basis from what I remember and am told. The line was always moving, much like SSE.

And no, no structural probs...Just Eisner shooting down refurb after proposed refurb. :rolleyes:
You can also add The Living Seas/The Seas With Nemo and Friends in that sponsorless category.
UoE as well! Even SSE and WoL operated without s sponsor for a while!

jzimm

Change the theme to the construction and testing of construction or farm equipment. Get CAT or John Deere or CNH as a sponsor.

Think of the possibilities.............Driving one of those huge dump trucks around the test track (maybe throw in a few cars to run over)

Simulators that allow you to operate a tractor or excavator or payloader. It could be lika a giant sandbox for adults.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Yeah I have and you are right. One of the other parents at my girls karate school has one that he has been tricking out and without question it is a great ride. It just has one of the most boring looks of any car out there. It certainly does not have the look to carry the name GTO.
Well, thank goodness you can't look at a car when you're driving it.

That's the point of a car... driving it ;)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Well, thank goodness you can't look at a car when you're driving it.

That's the point of a car... driving it ;)
True. A friend of mine in high school had a Vega with a 427 big block in ti. It would blow away any other car around but when you got out and looked at it it was still just a Vega.:D

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
True. A friend of mine in high school had a Vega with a 427 big block in ti. It would blow away any other car around but when you got out and looked at it it was still just a Vega.:D
I love sleepers :)

DizneePhan14

Ill tell u right now, whether GM decides to back out or not Test Track is not going to be knocked down, so get that out of ur head. If GM does back out and it is likely im sure Toyota or Honda will step in.

ewensell3

Ill tell u right now, whether GM decides to back out or not Test Track is not going to be knocked down, so get that out of ur head. If GM does back out and it is likely im sure Toyota or Honda will step in.

BlueBird School Bus Test Track!! The cars get extended to hold 14 people and painted bright yellow. The different tests are converted to various child pickup/dropoff scenario. The "high speed test" is to test that the governor is preventing the bus from going over 54.5MPH...

Sorry... Had a silly moment there! :hammer:

WDW Insider

GM is likely to drop, but Disney has not made any plans public for what would replace GM. I can tell you this: Cars isn't going to be a part of any changeover. When a sponsor drops, a new sponsor is searched for, and if no sponsor can be found, we don't add a new franchise to bump up the cost just a little bit more on ourselves.

Yeesh...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom