GM Out, Cars In?

jt04

Original Poster
According to the Orlando Sentinal and the site that can't be named, GM may be leaving Test Track by the end of the month and the speculation is that if another car company can't be found to act as sponsor, Pixars' Cars may be the way forward. Thoughts?

Pioneer Hall

Doubt it...rumor was that we would get a cars attraction to go along with the rest of Pixar Studios section in Hollywood Studios.

JLW11Hi

Disney has done a good job of updating the old pavilions in Future World lately, but if they were going to put any more money into the area, I'd hope they'd save it up to rehab Universe of Energy. Test Track seems popular enough that it doesn't need an overhaul. And UoE is now the last attraction waiting for a much needed upgrade.

jt04

Original Poster
Disney has done a good job of updating the old pavilions in Future World lately, but if they were going to put any more money into the area, I'd hope they'd save it up to rehab Universe of Energy. Test Track seems popular enough that it doesn't need an overhaul. And UoE is now the last attraction waiting for a much needed upgrade.

But it is likely that GM will be leaving at the end of the month and it is a very expensive ride to maintain so I think that limits Disney's options. It is obvious to me that the UoE only received a maintenance rehab and JII has had it's refurb frozen for a reason. I think there are big changes on the Horizons if you catch my drift. :lookaroun

TP2000

I've said this before, and I'll say it again...

Disneyland bagged GM for Honda several years ago and never looked back. Honda has been a great addition at Disneyland, sponsoring everything from a robotics and hydrogen car exhibit in Tomorrowland, to the Remember fireworks, to Disneyland Grad Nites.

Honda is fresh, hip, stylish, succesful, financially profitable, and well respected; pretty much everything that General Motors is not. (And no, I don't drive a Honda.)

WDW should try and get Honda involved. But, I can see how that might not be popular back East where people still drive more American branded cars than West Coasters do.

jt04

Original Poster

Disneyland bagged GM for Honda several years ago and never looked back. Honda has been a great addition at Disneyland, sponsoring everything from a robotics and hydrogen car exhibit in Tomorrowland, to the Remember fireworks, to Disneyland Grad Nites.

Honda is fresh, hip, stylish, succesful, financially profitable, and well respected; pretty much everything that General Motors is not. (And no, I don't drive a Honda.)

WDW should try and get Honda involved. But, I can see how that might not be popular back East where people still drive more American branded cars than West Coasters do.

The Orlando Sentinel says they are trying to get Toyota.

Hummer1676

I am all for american products and would love for Disney to highlight the orignial builder of the automobile, but i see it going to another car company. I would have to say either Honda or Toyota will take over sponsership.

I am not sure that GM will cancel their agreement. Who knows, we will see.....

Does anyone have an idea on what the cost would be for operation of the pavillion?

Marni? Lee?

WDW1974

I drive a Honda ... and a Mercedes-Benz and would only drive an American vehicle again if I was given it for free (having owned Fords, Pontiacs and Dodges in the past and been burned by crappy manufacturing and godawful service on every one).

I don't think Disney carees at all who drives what. The Mouse just wants sponsors to give him money for attractions ... so if GM does pull out, I'd expect some better run company like Honda or Toyota to move right in ... and it might actually lead to plussing down the road too.

~Pass the Pixie Dust~

jt04

Original Poster
I am all for american products and would love for Disney to highlight the orignial builder of the automobile, but i see it going to another car company. I would have to say either Honda or Toyota will take over sponsership.

I am not sure that GM will cancel their agreement. Who knows, we will see.....

Does anyone have an idea on what the cost would be for operation of the pavillion?

Marni? Lee?

GM was begging for a bailout today from the EU. It is 50/50 as to if they will even stay in business. I think it's down to Toyota or a Cars overlay or the wrecking ball. :hammer:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/8fb98036-07ff-11de-8a33-0000779fd2ac.html

TP2000

Regardless of what company it is, if someone else takes over Test Track from GM you can bet there will be at least a few months of refurbishment to remove the GM references, freshen the ride, and add in references to the new company.

What should happen is a big rehab to Test Track regardless, as the look and feel of the pre-show and main show are looking a bit dated now. The 90's are over.

It's that huge post-show "Auto Show" area that will need help too, as it was custom built as a General Motors new car showroom.

Worst case scenario is that GM leaves Test Track entirely (quite likely now) and no other company steps up to be the new sponsor. Then you've got a ride that has a weak story and that big post-show area where you display..... what exactly? Old cars? Old Disney ride vehicles? Disney Vacation Club model rooms? :shrug:

jt04

Original Poster
Regardless of what company it is, if someone else takes over Test Track from GM you can bet there will be at least a few months of refurbishment to remove the GM references, freshen the ride, and add in references to the new company.

What should happen is a big rehab to Test Track regardless, as the look and feel of the pre-show and main show are looking a bit dated now. The 90's are over.

It's that huge post-show "Auto Show" area that will need help too, as it was custom built as a General Motors new car showroom.

Worst case scenario is that GM leaves Test Track entirely (quite likely now) and no other company steps up to be the new sponsor. Then you've got a ride that has a weak story and that big post-show area where you display..... what exactly? Old cars? Old Disney ride vehicles? Disney Vacation Club model rooms? :shrug:

This is how I look at it, if they can't find a sponsor they will give TT the Horizons treatment :eek: and a new Carsland at DHS would become much more likely:D. That would beat a Cars overlay of Test Track by a mile!:sohappy:

wickedfan07

This is how I look at it, if they can't find a sponsor they will give TT the Horizons treatment :eek: and a new Carsland at DHS would become much more likely:D. That would beat a Cars overlay of Test Track by a mile!:sohappy:

And they'll knock down the building and put... what...there, exactly?

Horizons went down because at the end of its life it was dated, fairly unopular and may have had structural issues. there's nothing wrong with the World of Motion building, and it is still a very popular ride. Besides removing the GM references, I don't see any reason to change the ride if no new sponsor could be found. And I see no reason to get rid of it. Did Disney knock down the Universe of Energy when ExxonMobil ended its sponsorship? no, and that ride is far less popular than Test Track is.

I think the worst that can happen to Test Track is that the GM references are removed and it operates for another ten years or so without a post-show or any considerable updates, kind of like UoE has been doing in the opposite corner of Future World for a few years now.

I think it is time for Disney to realize it has to be responsible for itself. Can this short-sighted raise profits/lower quality mindset go on much longer without ruining everything we once knew as Disney?

WDW1974

I think it is time for Disney to realize it has to be responsible for itself. Can this short-sighted raise profits/lower quality mindset go on much longer without ruining everything we once knew as Disney?

They sure are trying to ...

~Pass the Pixie Dust~

ttalovebug

"Cars" overlay? God forbid.....

I think the ride is popular enough to function without a sponsor if GM were to pull out. It doesn't seem like it would make that big of a difference.

marsrunner

Hey, if they keep it up maybe they can just retheme everything in Future World to Pixar movies! Wouldn't that be great? :lookaroun They can call it Pixar World! DCA may have CarsLand but WDW gets Pixar World! :hurl:
Seriously, I love Pixar and would love to see more attractions based on their movies (if they are good attractions, of course) but put them where they belong, Pixar Place at the Studios. Expand it, knock out the Backstage Tour, whatever, but please don't put anymore in Epcot...Nemo is bad enough.

TP2000

You can also add The Living Seas/The Seas With Nemo and Friends in that sponsorless category.

United Technologies, the pavilions sponsor from 1986 through the 1990's, left years ago. Originally they just took the UT logo off the pavilion and let it run without a sponsor, slowing losing parts of the attraction like the SeaCabs, the pre-show, the Seabase Alpha performances, etc.

It still doesn't have a sponsor, but at least it got a nice rehab and Pixar freshening a few years ago. So the same fate could be awaiting Test Track.

It's that Auto Show post-show area that will be the most glaring reminder that a succesful American company used to be proud of being there. Now GM isn't succesful, and there's not much to be proud of for them anymore.

Maybe turn the post-show into a big air conditioned room with shopping mall massage chairs that work for five minutes for a dollar? :eek:

MousDad

Horizons = Googol to 1
Cars = 500 to 1
Toyota, or similar = 5 to 1
Operating as a stale shell of an attraction without a sponsor = even

My odds.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom