give a day get a day is crap

Disney05

It's not like you have to spend the whole day donating your time. A few of the listings by me were only for a few hours of time.

kev24135

Its great to get people to volunteer...but leave it to Disney to suck people into a free day.
Do people comprehend that in order to get that whoppin free day vauled at 80.00 they have to spend thousands of dollars on their trip to Disney...thats if they go for a week, the norm...just to get that free day

what a joke

welll what if they live in florida and god forbid you donate your time to help people, disney is not trying to get money, there is no pleasing some people

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
I think that giving incentive like this to get people to volunteer is great. I do believe it's a ploy to get us to spend more money there though. Let's face it, unless you live near there, will you travel half way across the US to go to WDW for one day? I doubt this post was made to cause a fight smk. I agree with llrain. Here is the site:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/di...ebrate/index?name=Give-A-Day-Get-A-Disney-Day

That would be funny as hell if I flew all the way from Pittsburgh, went to MK then had to be back at the airport at 5pm for the last flight leaving the same day.

rickmusic53

Somebody clarify it for me, as I haven't read the rules.
If I spend a day volunteering for a Disney-approved charity, I am entitled to one single-park, single-day ticket?
I can just take my ticket, drive up there, spend the day, then leave?
Or is the OP saying that the ticket can only be used as part of a longer stay and not a quick day trip?
I can see myself potentially becoming very annoyed by this promotion.:rolleyes:
If this annoys you babies and puppy dogs probably do to. Don't go and then you can quit whining.

optjay

Well, I love to head down for a short weekend trip. I use my dvc points get a studio with the kids, goto M.K., us the resort pool and just relax. So, three free tickets($240) is not bad for doing a little extra work for charity,no? No its incredibly worth it!

DABIGCHEEZ

I have a question also since I didn't read any rules.

If I already have a say 7 day ticket... the only option is the special FPs, donating the ticket, or something else. I honestly hope we are not going this year:eek::zipit::eek:(been 11x in the past 10 years) but if we do... how does it apply to me purchasing a 7 day ticket before I go? Do I just pay the 6 day rate which is only a few bucks less?

I know it is probably like the Bday promo last year but I did not look into that either as it did not pertain to us.

Anybody wanna help me out here?? :wave:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Trolling_drawing.jpg

llrain

Original Poster
This is basically the way I see it. If disney wanted people to really just plain volunteer for the world then just the Disney name asking for the world to give back would be all it takes, thats how strong the disney name is, there is no need to offer a free day in a park...they could get people volunteering in communities just on merely asking with the disney name.

Disney is clearly trying to get people to spend mucho dollars to come to florida
so you can spend food money, merchandise money, hotel money, and leisure money, oh and hotel money.....they could really care less about real community service, if they did they wouldnt need this kind of incentive to get people to get involved....its a 2 sided win for them though, it does make them look good as it seemingly has in many of the responses I have gotten....

How bout disney donates everyones 80.00 ticket price to homeless shelters or something...or to local schools that need the money.....
Now thats giving, volunteering worth to me....
not a cheesy free park ticket to get me to book a trip...
and if you say this is geared to Locals, then why are they trying to get the northeast to get a free day.

Im not shouting or trying to pick a fight, It just makes no logical sense for this to be an encouragement to strictly volunteer

If you compensate people by giving them a free day at a Disney Park then it's not really volunteering. You volunteer to give back to the community, not to be given something in return by a corporation.

I would rather see Disney donate to well established organizations as a surprise to give to those who regularly volunteer their time like fire companies, ambulance companies, Meals on Wheels...that sort of thing.

Skylinecar1982

If you compensate people by giving them a free day at a Disney Park then it's not really volunteering. You volunteer to give back to the community, not to be given something in return by a corporation.

I would rather see Disney donate to well established organizations as a surprise to give to those who regularly volunteer their time like fire companies, ambulance companies, Meals on Wheels...that sort of thing.

Because they are not really losing any money letting a few people in for free.

Skylinecar1982

Why is it Disney's responsibility to donate money? Most of these programs should have more Government support. Isn't that what we pay taxes for?

Here is a thought how about you volunteer, get your free day, then use the money you were going to pay on that ticket to donate to the charity of your choice.

captainkidd

This is basically the way I see it. If disney wanted people to really just plain volunteer for the world then just the Disney name asking for the world to give back would be all it takes, thats how strong the disney name is, there is no need to offer a free day in a park...they could get people volunteering in communities just on merely asking with the disney name.

Disney is clearly trying to get people to spend mucho dollars to come to florida
so you can spend food money, merchandise money, hotel money, and leisure money, oh and hotel money.....they could really care less about real community service, if they did they wouldnt need this kind of incentive to get people to get involved....its a 2 sided win for them though, it does make them look good as it seemingly has in many of the responses I have gotten....

How bout disney donates everyones 80.00 ticket price to homeless shelters or something...or to local schools that need the money.....
and if you say this is geared to Locals, then why are they trying to get the northeast to get a free day.

Im not shouting or trying to pick a fight, It just makes no logical sense for this to be an encouragement to strictly volunteer

I don't want to agree. But honestly, I kind of do.:shrug:

jakeman

No one ever said it is.

I think everyone here fully acknowledges the duality of the situation.

However, most of us are content with seeing the greater good of people getting out into the community and aren't concerned with the corporate part of it.

So Disney get a little bit of good PR and it brings in revenue. So what?

Yes, Disney could do more. But you know what? You probably could too.

So perhaps the naysayers should come down off their moral high horse and join us down here. We have cookies.

kimmychad

I agree, but disney being able to give something to a person that will cost the company next to nothing in order to promote volunteerism is kinda cool.

but it would be nice if you could donate the value of the ticket, as many people won't be able to take advantage of the ticket anyways, but many working poor families could use $90 in clothing, food, etc.

kimmychad

Why is it Disney's responsibility to donate money? Most of these programs should have more Government support. Isn't that what we pay taxes for?

Here is a thought how about you volunteer, get your free day, then use the money you were going to pay on that ticket to donate to the charity of your choice.

sadly many tax bases are dwindling away due to the recession.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

You do realize that the Walt Disney Corporation annually gives away hundreds of millions of dollars to charities, right? And that they are consistently ranked by Forbes as one of the most charitable corporations in the United States year to year? You of course were aware of this before starting this insipid thread, right?

The ticket giveaway of course will help Disney, because few people will simply come in for one-day trips, unless they're local residents. But it's an incentive, nothing more, nothing less. It's asking people to give a little and get a little something nice back in return.

And what does it matter if these people are volunteering in Disney's name, or their own. The point is to get people out and helping who may not do so otherwise. Even if it's a one-time situation, every little bit helps. Being a volunteer myself, odds are that once many people start volunterring for a cause or organization that interests them, they'll keep coming back to do more.

captainkidd

You do realize that the Walt Disney Corporation annually gives away hundreds of millions of dollars to charities, right? And that they are consistently ranked by Forbes as one of the most charitable corporations in the United States year to year? You of course were aware of this before starting this insipid thread, right?

The ticket giveaway of course will help Disney, because few people will simply come in for one-day trips, unless they're local residents. But it's an incentive, nothing more, nothing less. It's asking people to give a little and get a little something nice back in return.

And what does it matter if these people are volunteering in Disney's name, or their own. The point is to get people out and helping who may not do so otherwise. Even if it's a one-time situation, every little bit helps. Being a volunteer myself, odds are that once many people start volunterring for a cause or organization that interests them, they'll keep coming back to do more.

Why is it an "insipid" thread? Because some people don't agree with everything the OP said? I don't either, but he makes some good points. Just because you might not understand his viewpoint, doesn't mean the thread is "insipid".

If the point is to get people out and start helping, why limit those who can be helped?

jakeman

Why is it an "insipid" thread? Because some people don't agree with everything the OP said? I don't either, but he makes some good points. Just because you might not understand his viewpoint, doesn't mean the thread is "insipid".
I'll take a stab at this. The thread is insipid because the OP is complaining about a program that promotes volunteerism. Furthermore, the basis of the complaint is that the OP is not getting enough free to make volunteering worth their time.

If the point is to get people out and start helping, why limit those who can be helped?
Just because an opportunity is not listed doesn't mean that Disney turned them away.

Additionally, There has to be certain measures in place to make sure that: 1) people don't just milk the system and 2) the charitable organization is ligitimate.

Just because you say you are a charity doesn't mean you do go. Otherwise I would be cashing in my free ticket for Jakeman's Puppy Punching Service.

captainkidd

I'll take a stab at this. The thread is insipid because the OP is complaining about a program that promotes volunteerism. Furthermore, the basis of the complaint is that the OP is not getting enough free to make volunteering worth their time.

I don't see the OP complaining about the volunteerism part. I could be wrong, but I see it as the OP complaining that Disney may be taking advantage of promoting volunteerism for good PR and to make a few extra bucks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom