Girls in princess dresses at parks

tmtee

Also have a DD(5), who loves to dress up at home, but has not even mentioned it when we have been at the parks. I think the girls who do are cute, but I do cringe at the ones who are wearing the plastic heals. I always think that childs foot is either going to be covered in blisters after an hour, or her ankle is going to be broken, or dress ripped from falling in those shoes. Just say no to the shoes!

tigsmom

daveemtdave said:
I know some friends of ours bought their little one a Belle outfit - COMPLETE - Belle outfit down in Disney. Spent over $200.00 for one outfit. I guess I am a CHEAP PARENT because there is no way in heck I would spend that much on one outfit. My girls prom dresses didn't even come close to that. She wore it to our local Halloween party and when she didn't win for best costume, she started screaming and crying. Her mom came up to me (I was the judge) and said - 'you know how much that outfit cost me and she looks just like Belle' = the mom was upset so the child got upset. She didn't win because out of 25 children in that age bracket, there were others who were cuter or more creapy - take your choice.

You were not a cheap parent, you were the practical one and shame on that mom... what kind of example is she setting for that poor child?!

parker kim

my daughter will be eight next time we go in oct. 06. So we are planning the not so scary halloween party which will give her a chance to wear a priness dress in the park for a few hours but, tennies are a must and a cooler dress. But, I know if she sees another girl dress up in the parkbefore that party she'll be going crazy. MY husband would not want her dressing up on a normal day It would gets be to diffucalt.

tazhughes

I don't have a problem with this at all. My 10 year old was never into dressing up like that so she never asked, but I would have let her. We do though all pack all of our Disney T-shirts and hats with us to wear on the trip and I know personally I have always received a fun reaction to them as well. I have 1 Mickey hat that Donald saw and ripped it off my head and stomped on it. I thought this was great, so I can imagine the great reaction the little girls get.

bgraham34

I think its cute, And I would not mind if my daughter wanted to wear it. But I would not presure her to do so. But I have no kids so I dont really know yet.

Disneydreaming

I have 3 daughters and they are too old now for the costumes but in years past all 3 have dressed up together. We have Belle, Ariel, Jasmine, Megara, Cinderella, Aurora, Snow White and Minnie costumes. Some were passed down to one another. The costumes were their one major purchase I gave to them whenever we vacationed there. I thought it saved me a lot of money considering how much merchandise there is for kids to want!

Just speaking from a mom's point of view, the fondest memories I have are when my girls dressed up together and all the fun they had. I have some of the cutest pics, one of my youngest dressed up as Snow White when she was 3, in the Liberty area in the Magic Kingdom, where they do the sketch portraits. There was a cart of fruit for sale nearby, and she quickly eyed the apple and begged to have it. A visitor thought it was so cute that they asked if they could buy her the apple.I have a few pics of my little Snow White eating her apple and the cute comments the nearby CM's and visitors had for her.(okay some of you are rolling your eyes but I thought it was adorable).

Anyway, kids are only kids once, let them enjoy the fantasy and the dressing up if they choose. WDW is the one place we can forget about the real world and lose ourselves in the magic.

inafog

What we do

My 3-year-old daughter also likes to dress up for the parks, specifically as Tinkerbell. She wants to be Tinkerbell and a firefighter when she grows up. We do the same as many of you here and bring her own clothes along. No big deal; she gets hot or tired and puts on her Tinkerbell t-shirt instead.

If you sew (or, you know, your mom does), you can make better quality costumes out of cooler fabrics so they are comfortable; you can also make the costume less scratchy. (Incidentally, they don't make official Disney costume patterns for adults but there are a number of unofficial versions.) I'm with the rest of you; this is not a battle I choose to fight. On our last trip to WDW she brought her costume and we told her she could wear it the last day of the trip. When she did wear it, the CM at Peter Pan stopped her, talked with her, and gave her a line pass.

Smee

We just returned from 11 days at WDW (and other Orlando parks). One of the things me and Mrs. Smee noticed right away was the number of little girls wearing princess outfits. They must be selling these dresess like crazy. Doesn't look like very practical park clothing, but all the girls seem to be happy. Disney must be making a tom of money on them.

dixiegirl

Disneydreaming said:
I have 3 daughters and they are too old now for the costumes but in years past all 3 have dressed up together. We have Belle, Ariel, Jasmine, Megara, Cinderella, Aurora, Snow White and Minnie costumes. Some were passed down to one another. The costumes were their one major purchase I gave to them whenever we vacationed there. I thought it saved me a lot of money considering how much merchandise there is for kids to want!

Just speaking from a mom's point of view, the fondest memories I have are when my girls dressed up together and all the fun they had. I have some of the cutest pics, one of my youngest dressed up as Snow White when she was 3, in the Liberty area in the Magic Kingdom, where they do the sketch portraits. There was a cart of fruit for sale nearby, and she quickly eyed the apple and begged to have it. A visitor thought it was so cute that they asked if they could buy her the apple.I have a few pics of my little Snow White eating her apple and the cute comments the nearby CM's and visitors had for her.(okay some of you are rolling your eyes but I thought it was adorable).

Anyway, kids are only kids once, let them enjoy the fantasy and the dressing up if they choose. WDW is the one place we can forget about the real world and lose ourselves in the magic.

thanks for putting it best..exactly how i feel...my girls are only going to be this age once...i dread the day when they don't want to go to disney...ans to see the reaction from the princess themselves andthe other charcters...its pricess...i agree that the outfits are pricey...but when can you expect...your in disney..there are few things that are cheap there...and ahving two girls...we get our money's worth because the costumes are handed down...

My 3 year old wanted to dress like Belle when we were going to the Princess Storybook breakfast in Epcot. Belle made a big deal out of her wearing her dress and my daughters face was priceless. We did however make her change out of the dress after breakfast since we were going to be at the park all day. The little girls just love the princesses.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Disneydreaming said:

That (and the Hokey Pokey) are what it's all about. :)
No eye rolling here, while there is plenty of impractical dress in all age groups, I don't know of anyone who doesn't stop and begin to smile at a small child in costume at the MK, especially when they are interacting with a CM or character.

surfsupdon

If a little girl in a princess dress is behind me, I sometimes pretend she is the character she is respresenting and ask for her autograph. They enjoy the attention, but you can't do it with eevryone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom