Giraffe killed at Animal Kingdom

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Orlando at one point was the lightning strike capital of the US.... (not sure if it currently is)... it is sad about the Giraffe, but given our reputation.. it could've been much worse

mac388

I am always sad to see any animals die, especially at a great park like AK.
It's interesting though (as mentioned in many posts before) how it's a big deal because it's at AK. No one really cares if it's at some other generic park.
I guess all we can say it's that it's nature, and these things happen. Circle of Life, anyone?

MrNonacho

Premium Member
Wow, lightning seems to be wreaking havoc left and right around here lately. A bolt struck pretty close to my place on Saturday and fried some stuff of mine. I use surge protectors but the damage was done via the phone and cable lines. Did a nice little number on my printer/fax machine, cable modem and router.

I also heard that lightning was responsible for an electrical problem that kept RnRC from opening until 4:00-4:30 on Saturday.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
This just in... AK has opened a giraffe burger stand! :slurp:

JUST KIDDING! So dont flame me!

That is terrible... :( Where was the giraffe when it was struck...? Anyone know? :confused:

Mission: SPACE

That is a sad story, but I only hope that the media doesn't give AK too many problems over it... these things happen. What could Disney really do about it? At least the media admitted that the lightning came up fast.

This was one of the first things we talked about on the Keys to the Kingdom tour I did last week. Our tour guide asked us if we had ever noticed anything unusual about the tops of buildings around WDW... I knew he was referring to Lightning rods... If you've never noticed, they are EVERYWHERE!!! I'm sure Disney has some somehow place on Kilomanjaro... the giraffe must have just been in a bad place.

Let me just remind you all of Disney's four points:

1) Safety
2) Courtesy
3) Show
4) Effeciency

:)

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by 1QKLIMO
At least the media admitted that the lightning came up fast.

The media did not admit anything, a A Disney spokeswoman said, "Tuesday's lightning bolt was apparently out of the blue. "

Erika

Re: lightning

Originally posted by civileng68
Friday night July 18, a bolt hit the top of the castle. I nearly peed myself.

Good thing you didn't- you could have come close to tying Catch 22's story :eek:

That's a horrible accident. The giraffes are some of my favorite animals on the safari, with their big, gentle eyes. We've probably all seen Betsy on one trip or another. How scary for the other animals in the vicinity, too. It seems like those giraffes are almost never alone. :(

General Grizz

Originally posted by mkt
Orlando at one point was the lightning strike capital of the US.... (not sure if it currently is)... it is sad about the Giraffe, but given our reputation.. it could've been much worse

I believe Florida is still the lightning capital.

Poor giraffe. :(

careship

Last week was a terrible stormy week. They came up fast and without warning. We were stuck in MK for awhile due to the terrific storm on the 18th. My son was on Astro Orbitor alone when the storm came in out of nowhere. They got them off and down exceptionally fast. I commend the lady who came and called them to shut it down and get them down. I looked worried I know waiting for him as she asked if I was waiting on someone. I told her, she called up and said he was being unloaded and coming down as we spoke. She was quite nice.

I never saw lightning strike the castle on the 18th and we were there for a long time, it was eride night. We finally sat under the train station for almost 2 hours before running off for a bus.

Mission: SPACE

Originally posted by DMC-12
The media did not admit anything, a A Disney spokeswoman said, "Tuesday's lightning bolt was apparently out of the blue. "

That's what I meant... but the media didn't have to include that statement in the article...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom