Getting sloppy and STILL using holiday cups, plates, etc?

wvdisneyfamily

I'm among those that are just too pumped to be at WDW to notice or care about plates, cups, napkins, etc... If I did notice stuff like that, I might be slightly put out that they are using holiday stuff when I'm there in June, but then I'd think about my house where we were using leftover paper goods from my wedding three years after the fact. Ah...WDW...more like home everyday...

hokielutz

I know when we left the 12th, they were still selling all their holiday merchandice. Also, when do they normally take down the lights at MGM?

We were staying at POR and the music being played along the walk ways was christmas music, on the 11th of January! I assumed they were just trying to keep that spirit for the marathon, but still. Christmas music?

They were gradually taking down the lights at the Sudios last week. We were in that part of the park three times last week, and saw progress each time we were there.

Also, the Christmas season is officially 12 days... so if there is a bit of an overlap, not a big deal until all the decorations are down.

hokielutz

Personally, I don't mind that Christmas themed cups and napkins were still being used in the middle of January. Best to run through their stock, since the cups and napkins for next year are going to be a different design.

I am sure there are some that will say this wouldn't have been allowed to happen at Disney 20-30 years ago and all that.... but I'd rather they not throwout the remaining paper products.

dreamfinder

I am sure there are some that will say this wouldn't have been allowed to happen at Disney 20-30 years ago and all that.... but I'd rather they not throwout the remaining paper products.

I agree that I would rather they not throw it all out, but I don't remember the designs changing each year/season, but rather more a "brand identity" change type. So it was never as noticeable if old stock was used as if was never that specific.

the-reason14

Personally, I don't mind that Christmas themed cups and napkins were still being used in the middle of January. Best to run through their stock, since the cups and napkins for next year are going to be a different design.

Yes, this would have definately not have happend 20 to 30 years ago. Wow, this is absolutely ridiculous, why on earth would they do this. Just change the cups and such to fit the theme just like Walt would do if he were still here. This is totally unacceptable, and just shows how disney is being downgraded every day into a more unmagical place. Boo to WDW and management, the end is near.

jk, it really aint that big a deal, but you know how some people are. "Oh a piece of paint has peeled on the curb, its the end for WDW." Lol, I wouldnt even know what WDW was like 20 to 30 years ago as Im only 19 going on 20, lol.

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Yap.;)

I guess I'm old school... I just enjoy the simplicity of doing as much as possible while I'm there, so much so that I don't have to time to gripe over ink or napkins or cups.

But, I guess the board is the place for this...

Or maybe they should go complain to guest services in person if they really feel so put off by the "sloppiness."
Well said. I feel the same way. :wave:

GothMickey

The holiday plate and napkins are part of the new celebration. What will you celebrate? Your birthday? Anniversary? Christmas? Halloween? All makes sense!!!!

disney9752

Way back in the 80's maybe early 90's this kind of thing would be pulled form the parks very quickly & used in cm cafeterias, break rooms, etc. Old shopping bags were used at "bargain basement", now property control & the liquidation stores like character warehouse. I think it's just another bit of mickey getting lazy.:fork:

cymbaldiva

I do think that if Disney insists on changing the theming out for holidays and promotions and such, the least they could do is stay current.... :shrug:

SeanC

1. It's only January...some of my neighbors still have Xmas stuff up. Relax.

2. Its 2009. We don't waste paper products. Use them up, it more eco-friendly.

3. It saves a little money. I'd rather them use up paper products than say cancel Fantasmic performances, cut character dining, or offer executive buyouts...doh!

jakeman

Did you complain to Guest Relations?

I would hope that if you were this upset about the incorrect theme on dinnerware to stew about it until you got home and then post on the boards, then you would be upset enough to speak with Guest Relations.

CaptainMichael

I really don't have a problem with this because that means they aren't being wasted.

There are two solutions to this problem:
1) Use the same cups, napkins, etc all year long.
2) Save the old things for use backstage. When I worked there, we were using YoMD stuff...I wouldn't have minded using HCoE cups.

When we were there for a MVMCP, we were given a Halloween popcorn bucket. Also, most of the cups and napkins were Halloween themed.
Now that, I have a problem with because if a guest is paying extra money for special event, they should only use things that comply with the theme.

Biff215

And then there's the monorail spiel that is still touting the YOAMD. Sure it should be changed, and probably will be soon, but it doesn't change my experience in the parks at all, and that's all that matters!

CaptainMichael

And then there's the monorail spiel that is still touting the YOAMD. Sure it should be changed, and probably will be soon, but it doesn't change my experience in the parks at all, and that's all that matters!

That, along with the old resort TV IS bad show. There's no reason why those shouldn't have been changed by now.

vickyvale

I don't have an issue with the bags, napkins, etc. but I do have an issue with the YOMD banners and spiels still being in place. That celebration has ended and those things should be gone - I'm really shocked that they're not.

Just my two cents.

WDW1974

Just a few thoughts ... the abundance of thread about things like napkins, layoffs and normal rehabs kind of speaks volumes about the lack of anything exciting going on at WDW these days.

As to why they'd still be using the old holiday stuff in mid-January, a likely reason is that they were pre-ordered based on a similar volume as the past 4-5 years. And crowds this year during the entire holiday period (starting in November) weren't up to those levels, so they have 'leftovers' ... nothing wrong with finishing them out in January!

Now ... if March or April comes and they're still using Christmas stuff it becomes like your neighbor who still has Christmas decorations up in May ... tacky!

kadesha

I saw on another board a person had spoke with a CM about this and they said they are using up all of the holiday stuff before using Celebrate stuff. The CM brought out a new Celebrate cup and showed her. She had a picture of it.

When I was there at the end of November I was still getting Halloween cups at the food court at Pop.

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
When we were there at Thanksgiving we were eatting at Yak and Yeti and a family had the Halloween cups. I took a double take b/c I didn't think I was seeing it right. And it was the Halloween cups! We had the Christmas cups.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom