Getting my daughter excited about our trip

bamillerpa

In exactly three weeks we will be arriving for our Disney trip and I'm super excited!!:sohappy:
So what's the problem? My husband and I have been planning things at night when he's home from work and everytime we start our 12 year old daughter says that she hates Disney and it's boring. She's been there twice before, once when she was 5 and again when she was 9. I've shown her pictures of our resort and have tried to include her in our planning. I've asked her what she wants to do while we are there and she's seen all the books. I just can't get her excited about this trip. Do any of you have a child that is less than thrilled about taking another Disney vacation? We've already agreed that if she really doesn't like it this time we won't force her to go with us again but she enjoyed it both times in the past. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get her more excited?

WDWmazprty

In exactly three weeks we will be arriving for our Disney trip and I'm super excited!!:sohappy:
So what's the problem? My husband and I have been planning things at night when he's home from work and everytime we start our 12 year old daughter says that she hates Disney and it's boring. She's been there twice before, once when she was 5 and again when she was 9. I've shown her pictures of our resort and have tried to include her in our planning. I've asked her what she wants to do while we are there and she's seen all the books. I just can't get her excited about this trip. Do any of you have a child that is less than thrilled about taking another Disney vacation? We've already agreed that if she really doesn't like it this time we won't force her to go with us again but she enjoyed it both times in the past. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get her more excited?

Wow! I 've never heard of any kid not wanting to go to Disney! What happened the the other two trips? What did she do? Was there a bad experience on a ride or something?

Anyhow, she feels the way she feels. Maybe ask her what specific reasons she has for saying its boring. Is she saying it because some her friends feel that way?

Ask her what she would like to do while shes there? I dont know, maybe she'll change her mind this time now that she's older. :shrug:

Upvote 0

mickeysshoes

WOW like above post have never heard of a kid not ready to go. I wonder if she is upset that she will be missing time a school..or more so time with her friends??? I am assuming she will missing school. :shrug: Good Luck. I will be glad to go in her place and she stay at my house with my DD!!! :lol:

Upvote 0

Eyorefan

My daughter is 11 and she said the same thing to me on our last trip. She's been every year since she was four and said that she had "done everthing already."

I just kind of ignored it really and once we got there she realized that she could either be an active participent or be dragged to all my favorites like COP. We did spend more time in Epcot that we had in previous trips because she really liked seeing the shows at the worldshow case and doing the Kim Possible challenges. We also did the Behind the Seeds Tour, which I had planed for me, but I think it made her feel more grown up.

Upvote 0

zurgandfriend

We always let our DS who just turned 13 chose one thing outside of the “norm” that he ready wants to do. On one trip he chose catch and release fishing, another trip it was parasailing. That always makes a memorable trip for him and gets him “pumped up.”

Upvote 0

bamillerpa

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. She had a great time the last two trips and loved the rides. She didn't seem bored at all. She fought with her brother but he's not going with us this trip. As far as school goes, she's only missing two days because they have off the entire week aftetr we arrive because of a local fair that most teachers and high school students work at. I'm sure she will be texting her friends during the drive there and at night too once we are back from the parks. She's always wanted to drive one of those little boats that you can rent at the monorail resorts and I've told her that we can do that. I think she will be fine once we get there. She was excited about the trip when we first mentioned it but during the past couple of weeks she's been rolling her eyes and doing the normal teen thing. The only other thing I can think of is that she's upset over missing a week and a half of her gymnastics training. Since she is on team this accounts for about 32 hours while we are gone. Whatever the reason, I hope she snaps out of it and enjoys the trip. Wish me luck!!

Upvote 0

Mukta

Good luck!

You guys sound like sweet parents and I don't think there is much you can do. You can try to stay at a different hotel and check out the stuff they have there. You can eat at new places and visit Universal for a day (if you don't usually do that). And maybe someday she can bring a friend and they can do stuff alone (in their teen years)

I think the issue is that she is 12. I was a selfish little snot at that age. A trip with my parents meant missing out on what my friends were doing. While I was gone Brian started liking Emily! Saran got in a fight with Taylor! While I was gone my friends hung out together and I was alone! And to top it off, I would have to hang out with my parents the whole time! Super embarassing!

Have a great trip. I'm sure she'll lighten up once she gets there.

Upvote 0

Raven66

I can relate with you on this one. Our daughter who is now 13(our last trip was when she was 11) acts like we are trying to get her to give up a kidney. She doesn't say it's boring but she wants no part of the planning and when we sit down to watch the DVD's she wants nothing to do with them. She does say the DVD's are boring. But as soon as we would get on the Magical Express bus there was no stopping her excitement. I'm sure once you get there you won't have anything to worry about. I just think kids don't like all the stuff that has to be done to get there. We won't be going again until her 16th bday and she has already said she wants to do the Behind the Seeds tour. She has always like Living with the Land. Have fun on your trip!!:wave:

Upvote 0

disneylemons

I think its her age more than the vacation. I'm a teacher who works with teenagers everyday and its probably not 'cool' to be going to Disney with your parents, going to miss all the drama at the fair, and may have some friends who are jealous giving her grief about going, etc. Once she's there she'll be fine. I remember the first trip we took when our DD had her first boyfriend - you would have thought we took her to a torture chamber!

Upvote 0

RetiredFRN

Don't worry about it!! Last year my daughter was 13 and said and did the same thing. She has been to DW many times and wasn't too thrilled to go again. (Really think it's the age) Once she got there and started doing everything, rides, food, etc.. the disney magic kicked in and she had a great time. I'm sure the same thing will happen, relax and enjoy.

Upvote 0

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Why dont you Let her take a friend along?
That is the way my folks always kept me happy through those teen years when I would have been a nightmare. It may not be financially feasable for everyoen (or maybe you have your trip booked already and can't change it enough), but it does work. We loved running off on our own for a while and meeting back up for meals.

Upvote 0

bamillerpa

Original Poster
Thanks for all the suggestions!!

We thought about letting her take a friend along but we won't have enough room in the car. Originally my 16 yr old son was staying home with my Dad but now he decided that he wants to spend the week at my sister's house and tour colleges where her and her husband work in North Carolina. That means one less spot in the car for part of the trip. I doubt her best friends mom would have let her go anyway. They are the type that refuse to pay for anything unless it's for them. I feel sorry for her because she's a really nice kid but my husband wouldn't pay for her even if we did have enough room.

I'm just hoping that once we get there she will remember how much fun she had in the past and the Disney magic will just take her over. Until then I'm going to try and notice talk about Disney too much around her. Of course, she's always looking over my shoulder to see what I'm doing on the computer and then rolls her eyes and says " you're on those Disney boards AGAIN?" lol

Upvote 0

Susan Savia

Gosh, my daughter and son have been coming every year to Disney World since they were infants and now their in their mid 20s. We never had that situation where either one, did not want to go. They were always talking and planning it long before the time to go the next time even came, watching the videos we'd take, listening to the cds we bought, etc. They didn't mind missing school, loved the long drive to get there, dining out for a week and all the things we never get to do at other times of the year. I suppose you can just tell her this is the family vacation and if you give it a chance, you will find you have a good time, if not a Great time. Tell her.....just think how many people would LOVE to be in your shoes, who have never even been.

Upvote 0

Mr Toad

Yeah, I think it's an age thing. Both of my girls are 12 and would rather go to the beach than go to WDW. Don't know how they are going to take it when we go to WDW instead of the beach!

Upvote 0

smk

I think its her age more than the vacation. I'm a teacher who works with teenagers everyday and its probably not 'cool' to be going to Disney with your parents, going to miss all the drama at the fair, and may have some friends who are jealous giving her grief about going, etc. Once she's there she'll be fine. I remember the first trip we took when our DD had her first boyfriend - you would have thought we took her to a torture chamber!
Worst time we ever had when when our oldest had to leave a boyfriend behind for 7 days at Christmas. She was 17 and it was before cell phone service was what it is now so we had a constant fight over the cell and long distance or roaming charges, as they were called. We did take her a torture chamber, in her opinion! Two weeks from now we take her and her fiance and she is so excited to be going!

Upvote 0

erstwo

Totally agree.

As my mother always says (about me from ages 11 - 14):
"You left for awhile. And then you came back. And it was nice when you came back." :D

Upvote 0

erinshaneb

Oh boy !!! Thanks everyone..my daughter is 4 this year and we plan on going every three years, which will put her at 7, 10, 13, and 16...you guys have given me soo much to look forward too :eek::brick:

Upvote 0

PineapplePrincess

My DD is also 12. It's not that she doesn't like to go, but she doesn't like getting up early. Also, there are certain rides she doesn't like to go on.
DH & I just took a trip without her. It was fabulous, but we felt guilty. We are going to take her next summer, and either one of her friend's families is going with us, or she is going to take a friend.
I really hope she (your DD) ends up having a great time!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom