George K to Replace Meg Crofton as WDW head in early 2013

flynnibus

Premium Member
All of this comes from Eisner's management ideas of "a good manager can manage anything" (source= "disneywar")

That is true.. if a manager sticks to actually managing and trust and listen to the 'experts' that make up their teams. It's when they try to be the 'head expert' they screw things up.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Apart from if Potter gives Disneyland Resort a black eye - they may push it through - I'm having a hard time Iron Man and Oz/Lone Ranger will save them.

Potter won't, though. DLR can stand on its own quite well now, although it certainly can't stand still either.

And Potter is going to take longer to build out west due to where it is going, building codes etc.

WDW1974

Original Poster
That is true.. if a manager sticks to actually managing and trust and listen to the 'experts' that make up their teams. It's when they try to be the 'head expert' they screw things up.

I've never met a CEO who lacked ego that's for sure.

But I'd remind any and all that most of the execs (indeed all the key ones in P&R) under Eisner, have positions under Iger. Change has not happened.

Disneyhead'71

At risk?

I wonder if anyone even remembers them at this point. Seriously. Disney will look at DCA as 'fixed' and therefore not in need of any more capital, let alone the significant amount it still requires.

Understand that Phase II anythings at TWDC are generally a kiss of death and guaranteed slot in coffee table books and at D23 presentations. While Phase II projects at UNI get built.
As a matter of fact, UNI's current Phase II project is more ambitious than Phase I was.

aladdin2007

Its good to know that Disney is in George's blood...but when thinking about the big picture it doesnt sound or look like this change will make much of a difference, but maybe it will down the road and we will surprised. Im all for giving him a good chance at WDW and it sounds like hes very likable and knows things... where as Meg doesnt know Peter Pans Flight from Soarin..... I would be more excited if Holmes and Youngs went out the door along with Meg!!

lazyboy97o

I've never met a CEO who lacked ego that's for sure.

But I'd remind any and all that most of the execs (indeed all the key ones in P&R) under Eisner, have positions under Iger. Change has not happened.
Disney fans seem to have a short memory and will forgive all sins of the past for just not being current flavor of dislike. Kalogridis benefited because Grier, and now Crofton, was disliked. Staggs for not being Rasulo. Iger for not being Eisner. It's all shallow and, in far too many instances, based on Al Lutz' mood.

PhotoDave219

I probably should just say I agree :) and leave it at that. But that just ain't my style.

Instead of discussing how fundamentally disturbed I feel many are (and they are!), I just keep repeating the same question: 'what the hell is in it for Disney to be in bed with these folks?'

OK ... maybe you can argue about a Brigante or a Mongello or a Roseboom as they've created nice little businesses for themselves. But the vast majority have nothing at all to bring to the table (and I'm not a fan of the ones I listed either, just stated they have carved niches out of leeching).

I respect anyone who can start a business like this but I cant see how the economic model sustains itself.

If you only knew how much drama was involved in that scene....

flynnibus

Premium Member
Usually doesnt work that way....

Only when it's not good management involved :) Good Management are coordinators - they arrange the cards.. they call the game together.. but they aren't the star player. Some roles do need to be the strategist - which you need to be savvy in your field to make those calls. But the principles can be carried over from different fields. It's the same reasons truly good sales people can move between completely different industries and succeed. The skillset isn't being the product expert - nor is it in true professional management.

But simply being part of a past success doesn't mean you are a good manager. It's still possible for the rest of the team to overcome bad management every now and then :)

WDW1974

Original Poster
As a matter of fact, UNI's current Phase II project is more ambitious than Phase I was.

True ... and that leaves out all the other stuff they have in the pipeline from Transformers, which has made unbelievable progress since I was there in October, to Simpsons land, to new JP attraction to likely completely new kids area expanding into old Hard Rock Cafe area.

But Disney does have on kiddie coaster and four parks of ... pixie dust gone bad?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Its good to know that Disney is in George's blood...but when thinking about the big picture it doesnt sound or look like this change will make much of a difference, but maybe it will down the road and we will surprised. Im all for giving him a good chance at WDW and it sounds like hes very likable and knows things... where as Meg doesnt know Peter Pans Flight from Soarin..... I would be more excited if Holmes and Youngs went out the door along with Meg!!

Phil isn't going to be there very much longer according to those in the know ... as for Erin ... well, she has nice legs!

WDW1974

Original Poster
I respect anyone who can start a business like this but I cant see how the economic model sustains itself.

If you only knew how much drama was involved in that scene....

I don't understand it, but then again I have figured out how to fake a top one percenter's life, so I can't imagine it being too tough to fake making $26K a year on a Disney Lifestyle site while collecting government disability checks and getting food stamps and the like.

It sounds like you want to say something about the drama ... feel free, I'm all ears.:D

I wonder if everyone got over that Splitsville thread from last week. They were tweeting more than drunken Tiki birds. I went to check the place out, just not on Monday night!

djlaosc

True ... and that leaves out all the other stuff they have in the pipeline from Transformers, which has made unbelievable progress since I was there in October, to Simpsons land, to new JP attraction to likely completely new kids area expanding into old Hard Rock Cafe area.

But Disney does have on kiddie coaster and four parks of ... pixie dust gone bad?

Do you have any information that you can share about JP/Kids area?

Is it looking more like JP than Seuss (or even both)?

Disneyhead'71

I'm not Spirit, but I'll share what I have heard. It is now leaning back towards JP. And to be specific, I heard they are thinking of "going big" in JP. And by big, they mean at least 2 attractions with greatly expanded retail and Food & Beverage.

And the reason they choose JP over the single Lorax attraction is because Seuss Landing is already pretty fleshed out with attractions and retail. JP does already have a "land", but it is a poorly fleshed out land given its size. After the success of the WWOHP and Carsland, Uni believes to really make an impact you HAVE to "go big".

UniCreative's new mantra is "Go Big, or Go Home!"

djlaosc

I'm not Spirit, but I'll share what I have heard. It is now leaning back towards JP. And to be specific, I heard they are thinking of "going big" in JP. And by big, they mean at least 2 attractions with greatly expanded retail and Food & Beverage.

And the reason they choose JP over the single Lorax attraction is because Seuss Landing is already pretty fleshed out with attractions and retail. JP does already have a "land", but it is a poorly fleshed out land given its size. After the success of the WWOHP and Carsland, Uni believes to really make an impact you HAVE to "go big".

I wonder if they are looking back at "Jurassic Park Jeep Safari", "Jurassic Park HelicopTours" or "Raptor Racers", or at least using them for inspiration.

PhotoDave219

It sounds like you want to say something about the drama ... feel free, I'm all ears.:D

I wonder if everyone got over that Splitsville thread from last week. They were tweeting more than drunken Tiki birds. I went to check the place out, just not on Monday night!

I'm going to keep it to myself; I'd rather not be dragged into a deposition at some point in my life. :lookaround

WDW1974

Original Poster

This.

I've heard they're already doing some prep work with JP. I wasn't aware of two attractions, but they have the space in the old Trike Encounter area plus the big expansion pad.

Disneyhead'71

I have heard that the JP project should get started in earnest just after Transformers construction wraps up. One of the attractions may be an expanded interactive Camp Jurassic.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm going to keep it to myself; I'd rather not be dragged into a deposition at some point in my life. :lookaround

I hear things like this and I wonder how mentally ill so many of these folks are ... they make threats on each other in the Twitverse, call others including people they don't agree with (like say me) names and get into massive urinating contests with each other ... so again I ask, what is in this for Disney?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom