George K to Replace Meg Crofton as WDW head in early 2013

Disneyhead'71

Speaking of cranes at Universal, here is a great shot of the Cabana Bay construction site with Craneland in the background. (4 Tower Cranes and one crawler on the left) Thanks to @bioreconstruct

9k5ehk.jpg

WDW1974

Original Poster
That's my take and why I put it out there. Besides somehow swooning Al (and in turn mostly avoids Al's venom..) he basically as you said.. just had to not screw it up. He's been visible, but somehow has avoided being put in the crosshairs personally when DLR is actually going through some 'nasty' times for the fan base to accept. More ticketed events, candlelight rampant, massive AP price hikes, more character invasions, etc. Yet he's mr teflon and gets brownie points for being seen in the parks more than some of his disappearing predecessors.

I don't want a figure head.. I want someone actually willing to press for the product. Feels a lot like 'song remains the same...'

George basically asked me for a tutorial on how to neutralize Al and what his motivations were etc what feels like a decade ago.

So when he got the gig as DLR Prez (his highest profile/highest paid position) he wasn't going to make mistakes. He was going to play nice with Al and do as much as possible to be outwardly what Al wanted in a leader. George was out taking pics with fans and giving autographs (how much are they worth on eBay?) as soon as he started because he knew that Al was constantly on 'Invisible' Ed Grier's for not being seen in the parks.

I do know that George has been feeding Al info through another party since returning to Anaheim in late 2009, much the way Tony Baxter is one of Al's top sources. Both the above facts are widely known in the company.

I don't want a figure head either.

HMF

And, BTW, remember when this DCA makeover had a Phase II?

Apparently, everyone has forgotten the half of PP that is still showing its 2001 roots ... or the dead zone in Hollywoodland or the fact the Hyperion Theater still doesn't have a proper lobby and indoor restrooms.
I have not forgotten. Are those projects at risk now?

Tom

Beta Return
Speaking of cranes at Universal, here is a great shot of the Cabana Bay construction site with Craneland in the background. (4 Tower Cranes and one crawler on the left) Thanks to @bioreconstruct

9k5ehk.jpg

That's hot!

I just read somewhere that they're running out of cranes in Florida and are importing from Georgia.

MickeyPeace

I really have no strong opinion on her personally. She seems to like the park and care about it, unless she was just acting for the 30th Anniversary.
Regarding Erin Youngs, I disagree. Her speech at Epcot 30 was awkward. Maybe she was nervous or a bad speaker but it came off as disjointed, uninspired, perfunctory and slightly grating.
I also saw a few roundtable interviews from bloggers at What's Next or Whatever They Called It That Week. She appeared to be someone who is trying her best to present an image of what she thinks a VP should look and sound like. Spewing lots of uninspired, rehearsed sound bites. Her partner, Melissa Jeselnick, seems to have real passion and love for her job and it shows.

SirLink

So basically if I'm reading this correct, two things seem to jump out:
  1. Georgie K, wants to move over to WDW because Burbank want a YES man to allow projects to move more easily in Florida so it is easier to take the glory.
  2. Georgie K wants to jump on the Next Gen and get his name attached to it, because he thinks 'fans' will like it and allows him to take the glory.

PhotoDave219

Oh, yeah, sorry if you missed me, but I was in O-Town for much of the week and no time for online fun while trying to avoid bloggers (honestly, you can't step five feet in WDW without tripping over one).

It does make one wonder how some of these people pay their bills.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I have not forgotten. Are those projects at risk now?

At risk?

I wonder if anyone even remembers them at this point. Seriously. Disney will look at DCA as 'fixed' and therefore not in need of any more capital, let alone the significant amount it still requires.

Understand that Phase II anythings at TWDC are generally a kiss of death and guaranteed slot in coffee table books and at D23 presentations. While Phase II projects at UNI get built.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Regarding Erin Youngs, I disagree. Her speech at Epcot 30 was awkward. Maybe she was nervous or a bad speaker but it came off as disjointed, uninspired, perfunctory and slightly grating.
I also saw a few roundtable interviews from bloggers at What's Next or Whatever They Called It That Week. She appeared to be someone who is trying her best to present an image of what she thinks a VP should look and sound like. Spewing lots of uninspired, rehearsed sound bites. Her partner, Melissa Jeselnick, seems to have real passion and love for her job and it shows.

Awkward? That would be putting it kindly. Disney execs have a well earned rep as being fake. This isn't the D-ick Nunis type of exec. Indeed, the most 'real' or genuine P&R exec I have known over the last decade is now working for Cedar Fair.

Oh, and while we're talking about that EPCOT30 trainwreck, Erin was no worse than Jim or Meg. They were all dreadfully bad.

WDW1974

Original Poster
So basically if I'm reading this correct, two things seem to jump out:
  1. Georgie K, wants to move over to WDW because Burbank want a YES man to allow projects to move more easily in Florida so it is easier to take the glory.
  2. Georgie K wants to jump on the Next Gen and get his name attached to it, because he thinks 'fans' will like it and allows him to take the glory.

1.) WDW has largely had yes men/women running it since Al Weiss became Pres in 1994.;
2.) Not sure on any of that, but if it's a success, I'm sure he'll point out how he helped spearhead the project that started it all -- Destination Disney.

WDW1974

Original Poster
It does make one wonder how some of these people pay their bills.

Well, I have wondered that for a long time. Some have money (or family money) but they are the exception.
I know of one blogger (personality would be too strong) who would order a Big Mac without the cheese and demand McD's refund some tiny amount like 29 cents. I know a few bloggers who were close to being homeless.

But most aren't spending much on Disney beyond APs that pay for themselves within two weeks.

PhotoDave219

Awkward? That would be putting it kindly. Disney execs have a well earned rep as being fake. This isn't the D-ick Nunis type of exec. Indeed, the most 'real' or genuine P&R exec I have known over the last decade is now working for Cedar Fair.

Oh, and while we're talking about that EPCOT30 trainwreck, Erin was no worse than Jim or Meg. They were all dreadfully bad.

I think the biggest problem with these executives is they have no experience on the front lines, with guest service or as a guest themselves.

How can you manage a guest experience when you have no idea what that experience is?

All of this comes from Eisner's management ideas of "a good manager can manage anything" (source= "disneywar") and his policies of moving GSMs every two years. (source=Countless CMs)

PhotoDave219

Well, I have wondered that for a long time. Some have money (or family money) but they are the exception.
I know of one blogger (personality would be too strong) who would order a Big Mac without the cheese and demand McD's refund some tiny amount like 29 cents. I know a few bloggers who were close to being homeless.

But most aren't spending much on Disney beyond APs that pay for themselves within two weeks.

I have my thoughts on a lot of these people, some good and some bad. Its just a giant pile of drama generally.

SirLink

At risk?

I wonder if anyone even remembers them at this point. Seriously. Disney will look at DCA as 'fixed' and therefore not in need of any more capital, let alone the significant amount it still requires.

Understand that Phase II anythings at TWDC are generally a kiss of death and guaranteed slot in coffee table books and at D23 presentations. While Phase II projects at UNI get built.

Apart from if Potter gives Disneyland Resort a black eye - they may push it through - I'm having a hard time Iron Man and Oz/Lone Ranger will save them.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I have my thoughts on a lot of these people, some good and some bad. Its just a giant pile of drama generally.

I probably should just say I agree :) and leave it at that. But that just ain't my style.

Instead of discussing how fundamentally disturbed I feel many are (and they are!), I just keep repeating the same question: 'what the hell is in it for Disney to be in bed with these folks?'

OK ... maybe you can argue about a Brigante or a Mongello or a Roseboom as they've created nice little businesses for themselves. But the vast majority have nothing at all to bring to the table (and I'm not a fan of the ones I listed either, just stated they have carved niches out of leeching).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom