George K to Replace Meg Crofton as WDW head in early 2013

WDW1974

Original Poster
Thank you Spirited one ... it is such a shame that WDW has to cater to the lowest common denominator, I remember my first visit in 1994, and as a kid I remember being spoken to in an adult manner, I am pretty sure there were no CM's with Hoops and chalks lining the various walkways... oh and there wasn't fastpass ...

No. Barely any ECVs. Plenty of trees. Benches in the Hub. No shuttered food and beverage locales. ... barely any time shares. ... One of my best-ever WDW trips was nine days for the opening of the WL. Absolutely MAGICal! Seventh floor courtyard view all for $99 a night.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just one note actually on the subject, but word from Burbank has been steady and clear that George is being moved here specifically for the roll out of NEXT GEN and because he perceived as an ''honest, friendly man of integrity'' (direct quote from someone out west).

In other words, Iger and Staggs are praying that Georgie can shill this boondoggle to both the cast and guests ... oh, and certainly social media as well. I'd expect to see something on The Disney Parks Blog to coincide with his change in address.

HMF

Just one note actually on the subject, but word from Burbank has been steady and clear that George is being moved here specifically for the roll out of NEXT GEN and because he perceived as an ''honest, friendly man of integrity'' (direct quote from someone out west).

In other words, Iger and Staggs are praying that Georgie can shill this boondoggle to both the cast and guests ... oh, and certainly social media as well. I'd expect to see something on The Disney Parks Blog to coincide with his change in address.
Pretty smart move considering the person he is replacing came across as a walking, talking Press Release.

PhotoDave219

Oh? I though he was being brought in to clean up the mess that was stagnant growth here at WDW... mostly due to their shortsightedness and lack of reinvestment in the parks.

Here and I was hoping things would change for the better. At least this guy was a front line cast member once upon a time as opposed to just a corporate (MBA!) suit.

PhotoDave219

Quick side note- I do not bash people with their MBA. To be honest, they are doing exactly what that they learned to do in business school. I work with some great people with theirs. They are not these robotic lifeless people that we tend to think they are. I think the problem does not lie with MBA's, but rather with too much emphasis placed on their feedback via models etc. They can be a valued asset but with all decisions made in business a good business can't simply rely on numbers-Customer Service, Brand Quality, and Culture need to be thought of as well.

Nope, sorry. They are neither doers nor are they people with real world experience, trying to tell me they can quantify things that can't be quantified.

They will continue to be embraced with the same disdain that they treat the guests with.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Nope, sorry. They are neither doers nor are they people with real world experience, trying to tell me they can quantify things that can't be quantified.

They will continue to be embraced with the same disdain that they treat the guests with.

How do you know they don't have any real world experience? How do you know that many who obtain their MBA do so after haven't been in their industry for a number of years? My wife is studying for her MBA, and has been in her own industry for over 15 years. I understand that MBAs may make an easy target around these parts, but to paint then with such broad strokes is more than overgeneralizing.

PhotoDave219

How do you know they don't have any real world experience? How do you know that many who obtain their MBA do so after haven't been in their industry for a number of years? My wife is studying for her MBA, and has been in her own industry for over 15 years. I understand that MBAs may make an easy target around these parts, but to paint then with such broad strokes is more than overgeneralizing.

Then pay attention to her so she doesnt go rogue! She's much more important then replying to what I have to say!

janoimagine

Respectfully disagree, their are MBA's that get it, and that have the experience. My brother just graduated from Michigan's Ross School of Business with his MBA, and he did it while having 3 kids, running a non-profit and working as one of the lead financial analyists for the DIA in Detroit.

He was being recruited by Disney for a while, then he was offered a position with Mackenzie and (gladly) took it. When I asked him what Disney offered him in comparison to what he was offered by MacKenzie he told me Disney's offer was insulting to say the least.

Point being you get what you pay for in any situation.

ParentsOf4

He was being recruited by Disney for a while, then he was offered a position with Mackenzie and (gladly) took it. When I asked him what Disney offered him in comparison to what he was offered by MacKenzie he told me Disney's offer was insulting to say the least.

Point being you get what you pay in any situation.
The best source of cheap labor for executives, newly minted MBAs eager to get their feet in the door and willing to do anything, including accept low salaries and work long hours, to do it. The fact that Disney engages in this practice gives you an idea of what they think of their employees.

And their customers.

PhotoDave219

Respectfully disagree, their are MBA's that get it, and that have the experience. My brother just graduated from Michigan's Ross School of Business with his MBA, and he did it while having 3 kids, running a non-profit and working as one of the lead financial analyists for the DIA in Detroit.

Point being you get what you pay in any situation.

Respectfully disagree with your respectful disagreeing.

I will continue to treat beancounters with the same atitude they have treated me in the past.

janoimagine

Respectfully disagree with your respectful disagreeing.

I will continue to treat beancounters with the same atitude they have treated me in the past.

I get it, I have had similar experiences in my line of work, especially when preparing estimates for shoots, and answering the absurd questions, like: 'Do you really need two way radios to communicate on set?' (keep in mind were shooting in public roads and need communicate with the officers we are paying to do intermittent traffic not to mention crew safety).

Your a shooter I and I produce for several commercial shooters, but throwing every MBA into the bean counter category is a little harsh, their are a few good egg's.

I think what we both hate the most in our line of work is cost consultants, to me, those are the bottom feeders, the MBA's who graduated at the bottom of their class and almost as useless as Human Resources. :D IMHO

In the television and print world, cost consultants end up costing the clients more money almost every single time.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Oh? I though he was being brought in to clean up the mess that was stagnant growth here at WDW... mostly due to their shortsightedness and lack of reinvestment in the parks.

Here and I was hoping things would change for the better. At least this guy was a front line cast member once upon a time as opposed to just a corporate (MBA!) suit.

George started as a busboy at the Contemporary and I am sure Disney and social media will play that up, but the fact is he was a kid at the time and by the 1980s held all sorts of managerial/leadership positions.

But you ought to ask him about the stools at Narcoosee's bar. Georgie is good at making decisions on the fly.

But don't ask him about that quote he gave to the LA Times in 1/01 about guests having to 'settle' for DL when DCA reached capacity daily. YES, he really said that to a real reporter.

WDW1974

Original Poster

I don't generalize at all. It's not a good thing. I know some obnoxious photogs that think they're artists when they can't shoot for S&^t ... but I'd never say all or even a majority fall into that category.

I won't even say all Disney execs are incompetent or all Disney bloggers are a waste of oxygen.

There are always exceptions.

I will say that MBAs shouldn't be placed in positions where they wind up overseeing creatives.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom