George K to Replace Meg Crofton as WDW head in early 2013

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
George is a great politcian. Meg is not. ... But that doesn't mean a thing when it comes to being genuine, being real. ... I have seen two sides to George on a personal level. One is very, very nice and Disney-loving.

Well...we all have multiple sides. The big question is this - Is the Disney-loving side of George genuine? If so, I have some reason to hope that after arrival at WDW he'll notice a few things that he'll want to change.

menamechris

Well...we all have multiple sides. The big question is this - Is the Disney-loving side of George genuine? If so, I have some reason to hope that after arrival at WDW he'll notice a few things that he'll want to change.

I think either way, George has his work cut out for him. I am sure he doesn't want the reputation Meg got slapped with. It should be pretty clear to him what his role in the master plan is - swoop in and help usher in a "WDW Renaissance", while getting the consumer and fanbase behind NextGen. I am starting think of this as Disney's version of a parlor trick - Disney is attempting to distract us with rumors and upcoming projects while their real initiative is rolled out behind the curtain...

RunnerEd

I don't generalize at all. It's not a good thing. I know some obnoxious photogs that think they're artists when they can't shoot for S&^t ... but I'd never say all or even a majority fall into that category.

I won't even say all Disney execs are incompetent or all Disney bloggers are a waste of oxygen.

There are always exceptions.

I will say that MBAs shouldn't be placed in positions where they wind up overseeing creatives.

Quoted for truth. In my world (military), operations runs everything. Personnel, logistics, intelligence, communications, and planning are subject to the needs of operations. If more businesses acted like that, they would see how effective it is. For Disney, there are two competitors down the road demonstrating it for them.

When left in charge MBA=More Bad Advice.

Bolna

I think either way, George has his work cut out for him. I am sure he doesn't want the reputation Meg got slapped with. It should be pretty clear to him what his role in the master plan is - swoop in and help usher in a "WDW Renaissance", while getting the consumer and fanbase behind NextGen. I am starting think of this as Disney's version of a parlor trick - Disney is attempting to distract us with rumors and upcoming projects while their real initiative is rolled out behind the curtain...

When George started in DL I was quite amazed how much he was able to avoid all the criticism his predecessor had gotten on the internet. It seemed as if he was quite aware of the Disney fan forum world and knew how to get on "good terms" with the internet crowd and especially Al Lutz. And I guess he appreciates how that did make his life much easier during his years at DL.

I would be surprised if he did not have a similar strategy for this new job he is about to change. However, while her lack of presence in the parks was definitely one of the things that were being criticised about Meg, it is not the big issue among WDW fans. That's maintenance. And that will be where he will have to show improvement to win the hearts of the vocal critics on the internet - or at least to make them less vocal.

TP2000

When George started in DL I was quite amazed how much he was able to avoid all the criticism his predecessor had gotten on the internet. It seemed as if he was quite aware of the Disney fan forum world and knew how to get on "good terms" with the internet crowd and especially Al Lutz. And I guess he appreciates how that did make his life much easier during his years at DL.

I would be surprised if he did not have a similar strategy for this new job he is about to change. However, while her lack of presence in the parks was definitely one of the things that were being criticised about Meg, it is not the big issue among WDW fans. That's maintenance. And that will be where he will have to show improvement to win the hearts of the vocal critics on the internet - or at least to make them less vocal.

Very valid point.

When George K. arrived in Anaheim in late 2009, Disneyland had already been mended and healed from its Dark Ages during the Pressler/Harriss regime of 1998-2003. Maintenance had improved dramatically since 2004, and the Anaheim property sparkled and had a pipeline of new projects already approved and underway. George K. just kept that up and kept Disneyland sparkling while DCA went through a few rough years of heavy park-wide construction from 2009-12.

Like any good camper at a popular campsite, George has left Disneyland Resort looking just as good as when he arrived. His new task in Orlando is different than the one he had in Anaheim.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Perhaps, the community can come up with a top 10 list of questions for Jason the next time (assuming there is one) he gets to talk to the former Winter Haven Boy Scout made good.Because what was written was PR fluff.

Here, I'll start:

''George, back in 2002 when Cynthia fired you as Sr. VP of Ops of the DLR, could you ever imagine a day where you'd be back in Central FL leading WDW?''

WDW1974

Original Poster
C'mon, it's not any fun if I do all the work ...

Like ... "George, DLR is well-known for being in tip-top shape, while WDW has had major show quality issues that have included an inoperable animatronic dubbed 'Disco Yeti' by fans online, a piece of the Tree of Life breaking off and a dead finale scene on Splash Mountain, what can you tell guests regarding your commitment to show quality?''

HMF

I must say I have a good feeling about George as the WDW President (There have only been 4 in 40 years?) but a terrible feeling about Mymagic+ the real question is which is more pressing.

HMF

This picture used to represent WDW on the O sentinels own photo gallery really amused me for obvious reasons.
72106055.jpg

Lee

Adventurer
C'mon, it's not any fun if I do all the work ...

Like ... "George, DLR is well-known for being in tip-top shape, while WDW has had major show quality issues that have included an inoperable animatronic dubbed 'Disco Yeti' by fans online, a piece of the Tree of Life breaking off and a dead finale scene on Splash Mountain, what can you tell guests regarding your commitment to show quality?''
I'll consign that one.

And add this one...
"George, as president of WDW, what steps do you plan to take to 'neutralize'' the Spirit?"
;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom