General Star Wars News

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Good thoughts here. And just to be clear: because the prequel trilogy was helmed by George Lucas, I think it is indicative of what we would have got in the original trilogy if he'd had 1999 technology back in 1977.

In other words (and I'm a huge fan!), I think Star Wars was sort of a fluke? To me, this explains why there was literally no clear way to successfully "handle" further expansion of the franchise: nobody (not even the fans) can agree on what made it work in the first place.

And now, the fandom comprises fans of each PT, OT, ST, EU, animated series, D+ series, the different video games, etc. and it isn't one fandom, but a collection of multiple (some of them rivals).
In many if not most ways…it was a fluke.

George is scatterbrained…not the most focused writer and a terrible director.

A good idea guy and visionary though

What’s been deconstructed/reaffirmed for decades since by the key people is it was those key people tempering George and making the cutting edge happen. The producers, writers, editors and very specifically ilm 1.0.

So it’s a hard act to follow. He had McCallum and yes men in the 90’s and never had any controls on him. That’s why the prequels stunk.

And why I give Disney no quarter. History was written. You KNEW the fanbase and you knew you had to treat the audience seriously…
And what did they do? Focus groups and “directors vision”

It was a predictable, horrid mistake. Can’t be made. Sometimes things are supposed to be what they are…or the dog bites you.

It’s cost them BILLIONS in incalculable losses…minimum.

Think Disney with cracks in its parks and loss of most of their linear could use that now?

Ya think?

_caleb

In many if not most ways…it was a fluke.

George is scatterbrained…not the most focused writer and a terrible director.

A good idea guy and visionary though

What’s been deconstructed/reaffirmed for decades since by the key people is it was those key people tempering George and making the cutting edge happen. The producers, writers, editors and very specifically ilm 1.0.

So it’s a hard act to follow. He had McCallum and yes men in the 90’s and never had any controls on him. That’s why the prequels stunk.

And why I give Disney no quarter. History was written. You KNEW the fanbase and you knew you had to treat the audience seriously…
And what did they do? Focus groups and “directors vision”

It was a predictable, horrid mistake. Can’t be made. Sometimes things are supposed to be what they are…or the dog bites you.

It’s cost them BILLIONS in incalculable losses…minimum.

Think Disney with cracks in its parks and loss of most of their linear could use that now?

Ya think?
Since they really haven't been able to reproduce whatever it was that made Episodes 4 & 5 work, and there's no shortage of directors who have ideas about a Star Wars movie they want to make, I think at this point they should throw a bunch of stuff against the wall and see what sticks.

Instead of bringing in Ron Howard to try to reign in Lord and Miller's Solo, they should have let them go (evidence: Lego and Spider-Verse films). They're sort of doing this with the Star Wars: Visions animated short films series, and I think most of those are pretty great.

Dranth

Good thoughts here. And just to be clear: because the prequel trilogy was helmed by George Lucas, I think it is indicative of what we would have got in the original trilogy if he'd had 1999 technology back in 1977.
Could be, but age makes a big difference also. It is entirely possible a 33 year old Lucas with late 90s tech would make something different than a 55 year old Lucas.

I think Star Wars was sort of a fluke? To me, this explains why there was literally no clear way to successfully "handle" further expansion of the franchise: nobody (not even the fans) can agree on what made it work in the first place.
It was certainly a product of circumstance and likely needed to be released when it was to reach the impact it had but I don't think it is that hard to define what made it great to begin with. Good scripts, good directors, and likable characters all in a Sci-Fi setting unlike anything we had seen.

I give the PT and ST a pass on that last part as they needed to live in the universe we had all become familiar with but where I don't is on the script, directing and characters.

For example, the PT is full of interesting ideas that were implemented poorly because the scripts were terrible. Even when they hit on something it was bad on screen due to the dialog and acting. We aren't talking about bad actors either so that had to be coming from Lucas. The man had been away from writing or directing for decades and it showed.

One reason I think RotS was the best of the three is because he had time to get his feet under him with the first two. He even kept himself involved in the Clone War cartoon so who knows, maybe he would have hit his stride again in future movies had he stuck with it.

As for the ST, the ideas where not as interesting or fleshed out and in some cases didn't seem to exist at all but the actual dialog and directing was at least tolerable.

On the character front... yikes. I could likely write a couple of books on just how bad the new characters were and how badly many of the older ones were used.

Not to pick on the PT but to keep this from getting too long, use TPM as an example. Jar Jar is a terrible character though Ahmed Best did what he was asked and should not take any blame and in no way deserved the abuse he took. Jake Lloyd was annoying and unbelievable but that is on Lucas for hiring a kid with no acting experience and giving him nearly no direction. Then we have Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan who made growing grass watching paint dry look exciting.

And now, the fandom comprises fans of each PT, OT, ST, EU, animated series, D+ series, the different video games, etc. and it isn't one fandom, but a collection of multiple (some of them rivals).
Sure, I know we are talking about opinions and there is nothing wrong with someone liking something, but it is the lack of self-awareness I find in people that I have a problem with. There are plenty of movies that I KNOW are bad but thoroughly love and enjoy. If I was out there trying to argue that Leprechaun In the Hood was better than Citizen Cane, I would just be wrong no matter how much I personally enjoyed the two movies.

Bottom line, I don't begrudge anyone for liking what they like but objectively sometimes things are legit better than others no matter our personal feelings.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Since they really haven't been able to reproduce whatever it was that made Episodes 4 & 5 work, and there's no shortage of directors who have ideas about a Star Wars movie they want to make, I think at this point they should throw a bunch of stuff against the wall and see what sticks.

Instead of bringing in Ron Howard to try to reign in Lord and Miller's Solo, they should have let them go (evidence: Lego and Spider-Verse films). They're sort of doing this with the Star Wars: Visions animated short films series, and I think most of those are pretty great.
…here’s a crazy idea:
Let a group of old fans write a movie and see if they come up with anything?

Doesn’t mean it will go anywhere…but instead of the “we don’t do fan fiction…” Hollywood machine stuff…
Try to harness what it is that fans have pent up?

It’s worth a shot.

Willmark

Mostly in agreement with a slight disagreement.

I think you are correct in your stating of various different "factions" as it were but I think it's even more atomized than that. I think it breaks down even further within those buckets.

_caleb

Mostly in agreement with a slight disagreement.

I think you are correct in your stating of various different "factions" as it were but I think it's even more atomized than that. I think it breaks down even further within those buckets.
Yeah, I think you’re right. So on the surface it may seem like a fandom, but it’s much more complicated.

I have no idea how well Disney understood this when they bought Star Wars, but I think they get it now!

brideck

Jake Lloyd was annoying and unbelievable but that is on Lucas for hiring a kid with no acting experience and giving him nearly no direction.

Really enjoying the conversation from the last handful of days for the most part and don't really have anything to add except to comment on this part. Jake Lloyd was actually really good in Unhook the Stars 3 years before TPM came out, so you can file that under another thing Lucas couldn't do well. Directing kids definitely seems to be a skill, and by George, I don't think he's got it.

Phroobar

Really enjoying the conversation from the last handful of days for the most part and don't really have anything to add except to comment on this part. Jake Lloyd was actually really good in Unhook the Stars 3 years before TPM came out, so you can file that under another thing Lucas couldn't do well. Directing kids definitely seems to be a skill, and by George, I don't think he's got it.
Yet the year before he was in Jingle All The Way and we all know how that turned out. It was directed by Brian Levant who did nothing but kids movies with child actors. Sometimes bad acting is bad acting no matter who is directing.

brideck

Yet the year before he was in Jingle All The Way and we all know how that turned out. It was directed by Brian Levant who did nothing but kids movies with child actors. Sometimes bad acting is bad acting no matter who is directing.

Not all of us do, because some of us know better than to bother with watching stuff like that. I'll just point out that Brian Levant doesn't have a movie rated even as high as 6.0 on IMDb and no longer seems to be directing movies, so maybe he wasn't particularly good at directing kids either?

DKampy

Perhaps Lukas should of had his buddy Spielberg on the set for assistance

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
This thread was started to be news about Star Wars stuff.

Not to rehash personalized grudges that have been exhaustingly rehashed over and over again in every single Star Wars thread.

If you're not posting or commenting on *current news*, please take your hot takes that were hot only decades ago elsewhere.

Thank-you.

The newest SW news is the Acolyte series, and that has two threads: a general one and a spoiler one.

_caleb

This thread was started to be news about Star Wars stuff.

Not to rehash personalized grudges that have been exhaustingly rehashed over and over again in every single Star Wars thread.

If you're not posting or commenting on *current news*, please take your hot takes that were hot only decades ago elsewhere.

Thank-you.

The newest SW news is the Acolyte series, and that has two threads: a general one and a spoiler one.
Is it ok to discuss the fandom's reception to current Star Wars news/media/marketing?

brideck

Has anyone tried out the Star Wars Unlimited CCG that came out in March yet? I haven't been keeping my finger on the pulse of the board/card game market like I used to, so I didn't realize there was a new game out there. We know a number of kids who are right in the wheelhouse of liking Pokemon and Star Wars, who'd maybe want to give this a try.

Phroobar

Not all of us do, because some of us know better than to bother with watching stuff like that. I'll just point out that Brian Levant doesn't have a movie rated even as high as 6.0 on IMDb and no longer seems to be directing movies, so maybe he wasn't particularly good at directing kids either?
6.0 seems pretty par for the course for those type of movies. Beethoven and the Flintstones are classic kid movies.

Phroobar

5573079424815985214.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom