Game of Thrones season 8 announced

NeedMoreMickey

Daenerys going mad didn't bother me, kind of saw it coming. I wanted Jaime to say the baby was his when he was running the sword through Euron's gut. Also Cersei needed to die on screen not buried by rocks. The writing for this season is all over the place.

Disney Analyst

Dany has has this destiny hinted at for seasons and seasons... and it became very clear the last few episodes where her mind was going, specifically after the blow thrown at her by Jon about who he truly is.

She had a vision in Season 2 or 3 of the throne room in ruins, ash floating around. She told Lady Olenna that she would not become The Queen of the Ash.... all foreshadowing.

My only issues were with Cersei basically rolling over and letting them win... she always had tricks up her sleeve, but she was sort of delusional during that entire battle. And I really hope she has somehow survived being buried by rocks so she can die in a far more epic way. Also, how hilarious was Cersei sneaking past The Hound? She was like "Oh my, let me just squeeze past you there."

Otherwise, I am not as upset as everyone is on the internet... the series is still amazing to me.

AEfx

I’ve really been holding out making judgements about this season, especially since I think so much of the criticism out there is just plain lazy and uniformed, but last night kind of sealed the deal that I have felt very “meh” about the whole ending.

There has just been no real excitement for me aside from Arya and her one big moment. And then last night, even she seemed to crap out on us.

I had no specific expectations about anything this season, but even with that I still can’t help the “meh” feeling, and it was just capped by Jaime and Cersei’s final scene. I actually hadn’t accepted that it was “it” until and interview with Heady came out today verifying it.

In a poetic sense, yes, I get it...it wasn’t entirely inappropriate. But after all this...even with no expectations in particular, I just cannot fathom how Cersei didn’t go out in some spectacular fashion. As my favorite character, I wanted her to get some climactic death, and neither she nor Jaime got one.

I kind of felt this way about every death this season. Even ones like Varys. They should have been much more fulfilling but they just felt like checkboxes to be checked. Not a single one was shocking or surprising. There literally has only been one surprising moment all season, and that was Arya and the Night King.

I could say a lot more, but I’m trying desperately hard not to become one of the haters out there. GoT is still one of the greatest shows of all time, IMO, and this doesn’t change that for me (unlike Lost, which really all just fell to hell for me because of that last season). I’ll still rewatch the show every few years, I am sure...I just didn’t get that rush of excitement at all this season, it’s all just been very...well...”meh”.

LittleBuford

Dany has has this destiny hinted at for seasons and seasons... and it became very clear the last few episodes where her mind was going, specifically after the blow thrown at her by Jon about who he truly is.

She had a vision in Season 2 or 3 of the throne room in ruins, ash floating around. She told Lady Olenna that she would not become The Queen of the Ash.... all foreshadowing.

My only issues were with Cersei basically rolling over and letting them win... she always had tricks up her sleeve, but she was sort of delusional during that entire battle. And I really hope she has somehow survived being buried by rocks so she can die in a far more epic way. Also, how hilarious was Cersei sneaking past The Hound? She was like "Oh my, let me just squeeze past you there."

Otherwise, I am not as upset as everyone is on the internet... the series is still amazing to me.

It didn’t ring true for me (no pun intended). This pretty much sums up my problem with what happened:

Princess Leia

Jaime is my favorite character. Hands down. His narration in the books is particularly great. The show did him dirty. Daenerys going mad has been a question mark since about Season 2 or 3, so I’m not completely surprised she did, but I hate how abruptly it happened. Another 3 or 4 episodes would have been nice to develop that.

Jaime though... what in the seven hells did they do to him???? They kept him with Cersei far longer than he stayed in the books. And then this season, it was like whiplash.

• Episode 1. Arrives in Winterfell to warn people that Cersei isn’t helping.
  • Episode 2. Knights Brienne
  • Episode 3. Fights for the living ALONGSIDE BRIENNE
  • Episode 4. CONSUMMATES RELATIONSHIP WITH BRIENNE.... and then leaves her to go back to Cersei
  • Episode 5. Kills Euron, dies with Cersei.
They screwed up with him. Royally.

mf1972

Original Poster
i read some fans noticed during the scene when jaime & cersei hugged each other, jaime’s actual hand was seen where the fake 1 is supposed to be. i don’t know if it’s true or not. i’ll have to go back & look myself.

Wendy Pleakley

Yea that was really my only gripe with the episode. It was very anticlimactic and I think the fans really deserved more. I guess I was just expecting something epic.

I'm sort of torn on the notion of whether or not Cersei should have died more dramatically.

On the one hand, it's a cliche if major characters in a show only die in dramatic fashion. Being crushed by the rubble is not unrealistic or inconsistent with how leaders have died during war in the real world.

On the other hand, the show has been delivering so many dramatic deaths that it feels like a letdown. In the same episode, the Hound dies in dramatic fashion by throwing himself and his brother off a building. Two other characters got dramatic and public executions.

Club Cooloholic

I’ve really been holding out making judgements about this season, especially since I think so much of the criticism out there is just plain lazy and uniformed, but last night kind of sealed the deal that I have felt very “meh” about the whole ending.

There has just been no real excitement for me aside from Arya and her one big moment. And then last night, even she seemed to crap out on us.

I had no specific expectations about anything this season, but even with that I still can’t help the “meh” feeling, and it was just capped by Jaime and Cersei’s final scene. I actually hadn’t accepted that it was “it” until and interview with Heady came out today verifying it.

In a poetic sense, yes, I get it...it wasn’t entirely inappropriate. But after all this...even with no expectations in particular, I just cannot fathom how Cersei didn’t go out in some spectacular fashion. As my favorite character, I wanted her to get some climactic death, and neither she nor Jaime got one.

I kind of felt this way about every death this season. Even ones like Varys. They should have been much more fulfilling but they just felt like checkboxes to be checked. Not a single one was shocking or surprising. There literally has only been one surprising moment all season, and that was Arya and the Night King.

I could say a lot more, but I’m trying desperately hard not to become one of the haters out there. GoT is still one of the greatest shows of all time, IMO, and this doesn’t change that for me (unlike Lost, which really all just fell to hell for me because of that last season). I’ll still rewatch the show every few years, I am sure...I just didn’t get that rush of excitement at all this season, it’s all just been very...well...”meh”.
It just doesn't have that oomph right? The show sort of reminds me more and more of one of the comic book movies, which while I enjoy, were a different animal than GOT. GOT had all this drama, political intrigue and jockeying for power, with twists and turns and surprises. Anymore what happens (other than Arya killing the Night King) its just going through the motions, one bombastic fight to the next.

Wendy Pleakley

Jaime is my favorite character. Hands down. His narration in the books is particularly great. The show did him dirty. Daenerys going mad has been a question mark since about Season 2 or 3, so I’m not completely surprised she did, but I hate how abruptly it happened. Another 3 or 4 episodes would have been nice to develop that.

Jaime though... what in the seven hells did they do to him???? They kept him with Cersei far longer than he stayed in the books. And then this season, it was like whiplash.

• Episode 1. Arrives in Winterfell to warn people that Cersei isn’t helping.
  • Episode 2. Knights Brienne
  • Episode 3. Fights for the living ALONGSIDE BRIENNE
  • Episode 4. CONSUMMATES RELATIONSHIP WITH BRIENNE.... and then leaves her to go back to Cersei
  • Episode 5. Kills Euron, dies with Cersei.
They screwed up with him. Royally.

Did you have a problem with his arc in general, or just the way they handled it.

He's always been an honourable character who just. can't. quit. his. sister.

I can buy that despite doing lots of good things, he still goes back to her. Many people stick with relationships in the face of abuse, for example.

It just felt too quick and haphazard, like most of this season. No time was spent establishing that he had conflict, or why he was going back. Just a snap decision, with no time spent on it, because we've allocated 90% of the episode's runtime to burning a city.

Same as Daenerys. Yes there were signs all along she could go evil. However, she generally seemed decent. She freed slaves. She told Yara Greyjoy that her people would have to behave and be less savage. Then, like the flicking of a light switch, she went straight to madness.

Princess Leia

Did you have a problem with his arc in general, or just the way they handled it.

He's always been an honourable character who just. can't. quit. his. sister.

I can buy that despite doing lots of good things, he still goes back to her. Many people stick with relationships in the face of abuse, for example.

It just felt too quick and haphazard, like most of this season. No time was spent establishing that he had conflict, or why he was going back. Just a snap decision, with no time spent on it, because we've allocated 90% of the episode's runtime to burning a city.

Same as Daenerys. Yes there were signs all along she could go evil. However, she generally seemed decent. She freed slaves. She told Yara Greyjoy that her people would have to behave and be less savage. Then, like the flicking of a light switch, she went straight to madness.
Both characters gave me massive whiplash in two episodes. Jaime going back to Cersei would have made more sense if we just had more time. Ditto with Dany’s descent into madness. Unfortunately we got both things in the span of 2 episodes. That gave me no time to process.

The show keeping Jaime around Cersei as long as they did just ticked me off. He swore her off in the fourth book, and the show kept him with her (and had him return to her). Now, we don’t know how GRRM is going to handle the Jaime plot, but as of now, it is going in a much different direction.

Also, I guess Cersei really was pregnant after all? Wasn’t expecting that.

Wendy Pleakley

Both characters gave me massive whiplash in two episodes. Jaime going back to Cersei would have made more sense if we just had more time. Ditto with Dany’s descent into madness. Unfortunately we got both things in the span of 2 episodes. That gave me no time to process.

The show keeping Jaime around Cersei as long as they did just ticked me off. He swore her off in the fourth book, and the show kept him with her (and had him return to her). Now, we don’t know how GRRM is going to handle the Jaime plot, but as of now, it is going in a much different direction.

Also, I guess Cersei really was pregnant after all? Wasn’t expecting that.

Will we ever know how GRRM handles the story?

erasure fan1

I'm sort of torn on the notion of whether or not Cersei should have died more dramatically.

On the one hand, it's a cliche if major characters in a show only die in dramatic fashion. Being crushed by the rubble is not unrealistic or inconsistent with how leaders have died during war in the real world.

On the other hand, the show has been delivering so many dramatic deaths that it feels like a letdown. In the same episode, the Hound dies in dramatic fashion by throwing himself and his brother off a building. Two other characters got dramatic and public executions.
Maybe it's the fact that it really didn't come by the hand of one of the other charcharacters. I know it was a result of Danny, but it would have been nice to see a conferentation between her and someone else and then she bites it.

artvandelay

And while Dany is burning the city we do not get one close up of her. It might of helped if you could see what she looked like while destroying the city. Was she determined and calculating? Was she smiling and showing detachment to all the people she was killing?

NeedMoreMickey

i read some fans noticed during the scene when jaime & cersei hugged each other, jaime’s actual hand was seen where the fake 1 is supposed to be. i don’t know if it’s true or not. i’ll have to go back & look myself.

Rewatched the scene and he has his fake hand.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom