GAC to Become DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't think you have to worry about people thinking you said something because of a partial quote.

Anyone that wants to have an intelligent conversation will read your original quote before replying to a quoted quote.

There is such a thing as principles...

minninedaisy74

I would kill for my kid to just have regular meltdowns. There is no comparision between an autistic meltdown and a a neurotypical childs meltdown.
I tend to disagree with you on that especially when talking about younger age children . Plus just like you when my toddler melts down at Disney I have to leave the park so people are not subjected to his poor behavior.I will say this I really wasn't referring to Autistic children I get their issues especially with children who are non verbal but when you have every other parent claiming their on the spectrum child or ADHD child can't wait in line it becomes some what tiring . Again the good always end up suffering for the bad.[/quote]

arko

No matter what, whether your child is handicapped or normal, learning patience is essential to any young childs' mentality. I like the new system as it will limit the scamming possibilities greatly. I understand that some people are upset about the changes, but if you play it smart and utilize the new fp+ and the new DAS system together, you will not have a problem seeing te park, or not seeing enough as people have claimed on here.

No one likes change, but we deal with it on a regular basic in life and as a parent it's your job to teach kids about change and patience, now I know that might e a little harder or more challenging to a kid with special needs, but getting upset because you say your kid can't wait 5-10 minutes in line for a ride is insane!?! I think that kind of thinking stems from the parents more than the child in question. Also, what good are you teaching your child that they should get everything they want right then and there? You are only enabling that kind of behavior instead of correcting it!

You make a lot of assumptions in this post most of which are wrong. If you could simply "correct" autistic behavior as you put it, life would be so simple.

Sped2424

Ok, I'll spell it out for you...

You are a disabled young adult visiting WDW with your girlfriend... you've just excluded them
You are a disabled young adult visiting WDW with your roommates... you've just excluded them

It doesn't matter how often you think family is there over friends... you can't exclude people's traveling companions and FORCE a disabled person to experience the park on their own. Hello lawsuit for discrimination under ADA...

Second, if you think this is all 'friends bringing their buds' for all the abuse you have no good insight into how far the problem actually goes. The big party issues are almost always 'extended family'. Grandma's in the chair so lets get a pass for all three of her children's families. And in Cali... the problem is people use it like a frequent traveler card. Families use it blatantly every trip just so they don't have to wait.

As I said.. you hadn't thought that one through...
Grandma's extended family issue seems a bit made up considering how you can only have up to six using the GAC, You can't just say families use it blatantly if one of their members is actually disabled person. Maybe you need to read through the rules. Then if we don't limit it to family and include members who aren't direct family members we run into the same possibilities of folks getting the card to abuse the system. Oh this is my girlfriend, oh these are my best friends. There is no way to prove it. Does it suck yes, but if you guys complain there is no way to "Stop" the abuse, even in the new system.

arko

Grandma's extended family issue seems a bit made up considering how you can only have up to six using the GAC, You can't just say families use it blatantly if one of their members is actually disabled person. Maybe you need to read through the rules. Then if we don't limit it to family and include members who aren't direct family members we run into the same possibilities of folks getting the card to abuse the system. Oh this is my girlfriend, oh these are my best friends. There is no way to prove it. Does it suck yes, but if you guys complain there is no way to "Stop" the abuse, even in the new system.

The limit on the GAC is 6 people, it doesn't have to be family, and it shouldn't be limited to family in a strict sense. that being said the report of GAC's being issued for more than 6 people, or families getting 2 GAC's to beat the 6 limit are not far fetched, it happens.
Understand Disney knows they will not stop the abuse with this program, they just know that the effects of it will be lessened by virtue of the fact that the pass is no longer unlimited.

Sped2424

The limit on the GAC is 6 people, it doesn't have to be family, and it shouldn't be limited to family in a strict sense. that being said the report of GAC's being issued for more than 6 people, or families getting 2 GAC's to beat the 6 limit are not far fetched, it happens.
Understand Disney knows they will not stop the abuse with this program, they just know that the effects of it will be lessened by virtue of the fact that the pass is no longer unlimited.
That would require 2 GAC's Meaning two people would need to have the same issues. That makes sense. The story he gave was that one person got in 3 separate families. Which is far fetched. The effects could not be lessened. They still get to use the new fast pass plus system which you can re swap on the fly now.

arko

That would require 2 GAC's Meaning two people would need to have the same issues. That makes sense. The story he gave was that one person got in 3 separate families. Which is far fetched. The effects could not be lessened. They still get to use the new fast pass plus system which you can re swap on the fly now.

no it depends on the cm you get but having one person get 3 cards has happened.

WDW1974

GAC was a disaster. It became a free go to the head of the line with six friends or family or strangers pass. Yes, it was worse at DLR, but over the years it had become just as bad at WDW. No matter what your alleged problem was, you were treated like a celeb. Or Disney exec.

What was designed to only help folks who had major issues and were truly needy became an open door for everything from mild autism to not liking to stand in lines-itis to morbid obesity.

I understand why some folks with real needs are freaked by the fact that they will only be aided and not catered to. And I get why some of those folks feel upset. You get used to things one way (like I got used to real Disney quality in the 70s, 80s and 90s and I have to deal with the crap they pass off today) and suddenly things change. But if this is going to truly make the difference between taking a trip or not, then I'll gently suggest that perhaps WDW wasn't right to begin with.

Hiking in the National Parks is breathtaking and I love to do it, but I don't take elderly relatives or sick or obese friends.

WDW can't cater to everyone, nor should it. I am sorry if you feel that is cold, I feel it is fair and rational.

flynnibus

Premium Member

You don't get it... And I'm tired of spelling everything out. Your suggestion is not legal. Period

Aurora1

No matter what, whether your child is handicapped or normal, learning patience is essential to any young childs' mentality. I like the new system as it will limit the scamming possibilities greatly. I understand that some people are upset about the changes, but if you play it smart and utilize the new fp+ and the new DAS system together, you will not have a problem seeing te park, or not seeing enough as people have claimed on here.

No one likes change, but we deal with it on a regular basic in life and as a parent it's your job to teach kids about change and patience, now I know that might e a little harder or more challenging to a kid with special needs, but getting upset because you say your kid can't wait 5-10 minutes in line for a ride is insane!?! I think that kind of thinking stems from the parents more than the child in question. Also, what good are you teaching your child that they should get everything they want right then and there? You are only enabling that kind of behavior instead of correcting it!

Couldn't agree more. Meltdowns may happen, difficulty with understanding the concept of waiting may happen, but it's up to the parents or responsible adult to begin teaching these children how to cope with waiting. I teach special education students, some of whom are in their teens and have frequent meltdowns in the classroom. However, we practice and promote to parents the importance of teaching patience to the students in order to not enable them into expect immediate gratification. It may not be fun for the first 10 experiences, but by time 11 there is a much better chance that the student can understand the short wait reaps positive rewards. The new DAS system in my eyes is a great compromise between the old system and a better way to weed out the scammers. It gives those who need assistance the opportunity to do so, and also can serve as a nice way to practice patience if 10-15 minute time frames are too difficult to deal with.

jaklgreen

GAC was a disaster. It became a free go to the head of the line with six friends or family or strangers pass. Yes, it was worse at DLR, but over the years it had become just as bad at WDW. No matter what your alleged problem was, you were treated like a celeb. Or Disney exec.

What was designed to only help folks who had major issues and were truly needy became an open door for everything from mild autism to not liking to stand in lines-itis to morbid obesity.

I understand why some folks with real needs are freaked by the fact that they will only be aided and not catered to. And I get why some of those folks feel upset. You get used to things one way (like I got used to real Disney quality in the 70s, 80s and 90s and I have to deal with the crap they pass off today) and suddenly things change. But if this is going to truly make the difference between taking a trip or not, then I'll gently suggest that perhaps WDW wasn't right to begin with.

Hiking in the National Parks is breathtaking and I love to do it, but I don't take elderly relatives or sick or obese friends.

WDW can't cater to everyone, nor should it. I am sorry if you feel that is cold, I feel it is fair and rational.

I agree. BTW wasn't the GAC for people who could not wait in lines with others (like autistic kids) supposed to be you waiting in another area away from the crowded line for your turn anyway? It was never supposed to be a "front of the line pass" that everyone seemed to use it for. So the DAS is pretty much going to back to how they wanted the GAC to originally work.

arko

I wouldn't say its cold , I would say its typical of someone who doesn't have to deal with a disability day after day, and pretty much explains why we have the ADA in the first place.

I'm not trying to be insulting but simply pointing out that if we lived in a society that truly cared about the disabled, we wouldn't care about who was in the fastpass lane, and people wouldn't abuse the system, but instead we live in a society where we have to force people to make accommodations, because if we didn't they wouldn't do it on their own.
Disney in this case tried to go above and beyond and well society showed them just how bad an idea that was.

arko

Couldn't agree more. Meltdowns may happen, difficulty with understanding the concept of waiting may happen, but it's up to the parents or responsible adult to begin teaching these children how to cope with waiting. I teach special education students, some of whom are in their teens and have frequent meltdowns in the classroom. However, we practice and promote to parents the importance of teaching patience to the students in order to not enable them into expect immediate gratification. It may not be fun for the first 10 experiences, but by time 11 there is a much better chance that the student can understand the short wait reaps positive rewards. The new DAS system in my eyes is a great compromise between the old system and a better way to weed out the scammers. It gives those who need assistance the opportunity to do so, and also can serve as a nice way to practice patience if 10-15 minute time frames are too difficult to deal with.
If all ride wait times were 10-15 minutes this whole discussion would be moot.

stevehousse

You make a lot of assumptions in this post most of which are wrong. If you could simply "correct" autistic behavior as you put it, life would be so simple.

My post is not wrong, it comes from being a parent myself and having a nephew who is mentally handicapped. Please take a read @Aurora1 's post as she clearly got exactly what I was sayings! Thank you @Aurora1 for explaining that...I hope more people take into consideration what you wrote...

My nephews teacher told my brother in law the same thing about outbursts. as much of struggle it is, and as a parent, not doing anything to try and correct the problem is worse for the said child. It might be a little more frustrating To deal with, but a parent should never give up on their child and no matter what the circumstances are, should always try to correct said bad behaviors even if it seems impossible.

WDW1974

I wouldn't say its cold , I would say its typical of someone who doesn't have to deal with a disability day after day, and pretty much explains why we have the ADA in the first place.

I'm not trying to be insulting but simply pointing out that if we lived in a society that truly cared about the disabled, we wouldn't care about who was in the fastpass lane, and people wouldn't abuse the system, but instead we live in a society where we have to force people to make accommodations, because if we didn't they wouldn't do it on their own.
Disney in this case tried to go above and beyond and well society showed them just how bad an idea that was.

Nope. That's a cop-out... A 'you need to walk a day in my shoes' deal. I have dealt with family members who were disabled on a daily basis in the past. I know how difficult that can be and I have empathy for those who do.

But that isn't what the ADA is about at all. People use that in Disney discussions to justify all sorts of things ... 'my child can't stand crowds' -.then what kind of godawful parent are you for taking them to one of the most crowded places possible? ...or 'my sister can't handle foreign smells or loud noises' -- then why on earth would you take her to WDW? It usually comes down to selfishness on the parts of people who are not disabled, but have loved ones who are.

I don't find your post insulting at all and I agree that it would be nice if only the needy -- the truly needy -- used the passes. But we have an entitlement society, bastardized capitalism fosters that, but is a whole 'another discussion.

And Disney's system was never designed to go above and beyond. It was supposed to be fair and help the needy and it morphed into something entirely different. 25 years agony simply didn't have people going to City Hall claiming my child has (fill in the blank) and can't wait in lines. You just didn't.

And when you allow anyone and everyone to get a pass, it's sorta like what I see at the local Chipotle. Despite living in an extremely affluent community, everytime I am there a good 75% of the people are getting water cups and filling them with Coke or lemonade because they know they can blatantly steal in front of the workers and never get called on.

People are going to get away with whatever they can. I am sure Disney loves it everytime I post that company policy is to allow shoplifting in the parks.

Do I believe there are good people out there? Yes. Do I believe they're vastly outnumbered? Yes again.

Do I believe that the situation would get exponentially worse if Disney did nothing. Absolutely. Don't like it? Make the world a better place starting in your community ...

jaklgreen

My post is not wrong, it comes from being a parent myself and having a nephew who is mentally handicapped. Please take a read @Aurora1 's post as she clearly got exactly what I was sayings! Thank you @Aurora1 for explaining that...I hope more people take into consideration what you wrote...

My nephews teacher told my brother in law the same thing about outbursts. as much of struggle it is, and as a parent, not doing anything to try and correct the problem is worse for the said child. It might be a little more frustrating To deal with, but a parent should never give up on their child and no matter what the circumstances are, should always try to correct said bad behaviors even if it seems impossible.
I also have an autistic niece and have said that between her diet and the way her parents deal with her, the change in her is staggering. She went from a non responsive and prone to meltdowns to a child who is in mainstream school and acts almost like a "normal" child. My sister treats her like any other child and disciplines her if she misbehaves and I can not stress enough how much that has helped her. You hear more and more stories like this all the time, that autistic kids can make improvements. I also read an article in the paper that linked autistic kids and the food they ate. They have different stomach acids and can not handle a lot of processed foods. *Yes I know all kids are different but if my sister had not made those changes her daughter would probably still be far worse then she is.

cmybliss

If you've read through the novel that is this thread, you'll have seen my stance on the issue and that I'm for the change. I do however see room for improvement.

As to the issue of waiting in line each day to get an new DAS, I understand that could and most likely will be a problem. I do see a simple solution though. Instead of everyone having to get a new ID every day, why not link it to your ticket or MB as someone else suggested. I say take it a step further. If you're staying on property, why not set this up at hotel check-in. It seems to me that it would be fairly simple to set up, and would alleviate the line at the park. Added benefit for Disney is more onsite hotel guests as this service would only be available to them (and perhaps AP holders). If you're staying off-site you would still need to get the ID in the park.

Aurora1

Anytime! It's definitely more of a challenge to attempt to correct the problem, but my students whose parents put in a TON of effort often seem to come back years later with the best updates about how much their child has improved... and some of them were the "worst" behaviorally earlier on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom