GAC to Become DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Sharpen your knives everyone, I've got an opinion.
I don't care if there is abuse in this system. I don't care if it makes me wait longer. I will happily stand in line longer, even while undeserving people weasel ahead of me, if it means that people whose daily life is a struggle can have a "magical" time at the parks. Their life is a struggle every single day, their family's life is harder than mine will ever be, if they get special treatment at the Disney parks, GOOD.
Would I like the system to be tightened up to limit the abuse while providing access to those in need, yes, and I think that this change is likely in the right direction.
Quoted because just hitting "like" wasn't sufficient. Agreed all around, although I'm still not gonna be happy watching the abusers slip by. But if allowing the abuses were the only way to allow those with true disabilities to use the system, it's a price I'm certainly happy to pay.

Sped2424

FP+!!!! Remember everything is changing... all rides and parades, etc... will now utilize the fp+ system, so things are going to change big time.:happy: Just wait until the existing fp system is removed... OH THE PAIN AND AGONY!!!!! :bawling:

With that out of the way, I have a question...

IASM, POTC, SM, etc... are rides that are designed to overstimulate people? Right? If someone cannot handle over stimulation why would someone, that loves that person, purposely torment that other person by making them go on it?

Another question...

IASM, Splash Mountain, POTC, the safari ride, jungle cruise and longer rides. These are not short rides... So this brings this to mind. Why is it okay for that person that cannot handle long waits in a line, to get on a long ride? What is the difference of 10 minutes on IASW or waiting in the line for 10 minutes? Isn't 10 minutes, 10 minutes?

Also most of the lines are less over stimulating then the ride itself, so wouldn't that help calm the easily overstimulated person?

Just questions, but I know, I know, "I just don't understand." That is why I am asking.:)
There is a difference between waiting in a long line full of people, when the line is not moving or break downs etc etc etc than being on a ride vehicle with your family. Why he enjoys the rides themselves I honestly don't know, ask Michel also the stimulation that comes from a ride, and the stimulation that comes from being surrounded by a lot of different people in a small area are not the same.

Tom Morrow

Quoted because just hitting "like" wasn't sufficient. Agreed all around, although I'm still not gonna be happy watching the abusers slip by. But if allowing the abuses were the only way to allow those with true disabilities to use the system, it's a price I'm certainly happy to pay.
Fortunately, it isn't the only way, as this new procedure proves...

Sped2424

I know there have been a few posters on the thread who have lamented the changes, so I would like to nicely pose this question:

In light of the known abuses of the GAC program, how would you revise the program to minimize abuses of the cards while providing for the families that you are concerned about.

I would be very interested in hearing what thier ideas are...
Keep the new security measures while using the old system, meaning the GAC card holder has to be present for the family to ride the ride. Another thing I wouldn't be opposed to is restricting the passes to just family members only. Considering how more than half that use it are with their families anyways, require them to go to guest relations with a form of id, then get special cards that identify them as the GAC card holders family. They have to show that to the cast member (Their id cards can be a dull blue or other color, while the GAC card holder is distinct to help the cast member Identify who is who). That way they can use the old system of showing the front gate cast member their card and then enter the attraction. This would cut down on abuse extremely well (As most of the Weasels who cheat the system are at the parks with friends or god forbid giving tours to people they don't know for money). That is all that needs to happen, increased security precautions.

Sped2424

Also this new program can still offer plenty of abuse they get to use the Fastpass plus system and the kiosk, whats to stop them from doing what they are already doing? Not much. It just takes them a little longer now. and really if they use the fast pass plus system they can ride those rides in between getting their DAS

Florida_is_hot

Why can they not ask for proof of a disability?
You only get a handy-cap parking sticker if you give a note from a Doctor saying you need it.
So why does Disney not ask for the same proof?

flynnibus

Premium Member
It is a privacy issue/HIPAA violation.

No.. that's a myth that just will not die. Go google 'HIPPA covered entity'

HIPPA does not prevent the collection of data... it is about safe handling and limiting distribution of it. Second, it only applies to health care entities and those who service them... not businesses as a whole.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Keep the new security measures while using the old system, meaning the GAC card holder has to be present for the family to ride the ride. Another thing I wouldn't be opposed to is restricting the passes to just family members only. Considering how more than half that use it are with their families anyways, require them to go to guest relations with a form of id, then get special cards that identify them as the GAC card holders family

So you are saying the disabled should not travel with friends when visiting Disney? Only family? Think that one through...

mickeysaver

Another concern of mine about the new system is the photo ID aspect. That ID is going to take time to produce. There will be a line every morning to get these done. That line is going to take away from park time for the guests that need the DAS. Sadly, being in that line is going to be hard for some families because avoiding lines is their main need for being able to enjoy their day. Having your kid meltdown first thing is not going to make for a magical day.

Another issue that comes to mind is security related. If that DAS ID badge has the child's name and photo on it, it makes it easier for a predator to prey upon that child.

One other thing that I just have to say, as for those that have the comments about scooters loading before other guests on the busses, yes, they are loaded first, but I haven't noticed anyone waiting to go to the park or the hotel until the scooters are unloaded. It is not uncommon for me to see that the folks that I was on the bus with are already inside of the park gates before I can get out of the bus area or even back at their room before I can get inside of the lobby. I don't expect anyone to wait for me or other scooter users, but if you really wanted for things to be equal, everyone would wait and go in together. The absurdity of expecting all those people to wait for me, so that we all arrive together is just as absurd as people thinking that I have an advantage in being loaded onto the bus first.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The absurdity of expecting all those people to wait for me, so that we all arrive together is just as absurd as people thinking that I have an advantage in being loaded onto the bus first.

If ECVs had to wait the same # of guests as everyone else before getting a bus.. then you'd have a point. But you know very well they don't.. so you might want to reconsider that opinion.

Tom Morrow

Well, doesn't "prove" anything yet, but I'm hopeful.
many of you keep assuming that a system that allows anyone who asks to get a card that, in the wrong hands, acts as an "unlimited Fastpass" is the only way, but it obviously isn't, because Disney IS changing to a stricter policy that still accommodates the needs of the disabled. There is really no point in even arguing this. It's going to happen! I also don't see how any of you can say "it won't stop any abuse!" Really? It pretty much eliminates ALL of the advantage while still allowing those with disabilities to not physically have to wait in lines. You have to register and sign documents now and get your picture taken rather than just walking in to guest relations and lying and being handed a card. These changes alone will eliminate 90% of the scammers, and those who will still make the effort to get a card will no longer be able to use it as an unlimited Fastpass.

Remember that the new procedure is nothing more than a more secure way of doing what essentially every other theme park does.

And those of you who keep insisting that the abuse isn't that big of a deal, let me re-iterate a few things. Disney will have to spend money on new guest relations positions, new card processing equipment and whatever else, as well as re-training EVERY SINGLE CM on the new procedures. Disney P&R isn't exactly known for spending money where they don't have to, so obviously they feel the abuse is enough of a problem to warrant all of this extra spending and effort.

mickeysaver

If ECVs had to wait the same # of guests as everyone else before getting a bus.. then you'd have a point. But you know very well they don't.. so you might want to reconsider that opinion.

If it was easy to maneuver the scooter around those folks, I would gladly do it. The scooters are loaded first for a reason and it has more to do with your safety on the buss than mine. I have come close more than once to taking out a foot or a leg in loading my scooter onto a bus that already had people sitting in the area across from where the scooter loads into. Thankfully, I have managed to avoid harming anyone on a bus.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Another concern of mine about the new system is the photo ID aspect. That ID is going to take time to produce. There will be a line every morning to get these done. That line is going to take away from park time for the guests that need the DAS. Sadly, being in that line is going to be hard for some families because avoiding lines is their main need for being able to enjoy their day. Having your kid meltdown first thing is not going to make for a magical day.

Another issue that comes to mind is security related. If that DAS ID badge has the child's name and photo on it, it makes it easier for a predator to prey upon that child.

One other thing that I just have to say, as for those that have the comments about scooters loading before other guests on the busses, yes, they are loaded first, but I haven't noticed anyone waiting to go to the park or the hotel until the scooters are unloaded. It is not uncommon for me to see that the folks that I was on the bus with are already inside of the park gates before I can get out of the bus area or even back at their room before I can get inside of the lobby. I don't expect anyone to wait for me or other scooter users, but if you really wanted for things to be equal, everyone would wait and go in together. The absurdity of expecting all those people to wait for me, so that we all arrive together is just as absurd as people thinking that I have an advantage in being loaded onto the bus first.
Is the photo going to be printed on the ID or can they use the RFID to scan it and have a picture pop up on their iDevice? that would seem the quicker and safer way.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If it was easy to maneuver the scooter around those folks, I would gladly do it. The scooters are loaded first for a reason and it has more to do with your safety on the buss than mine.

My comment wasn't about who gets on the bus first.. but WHICH bus you get on... "If ECVs had to wait the same # of guests as everyone else..."

Sped2424

So you are saying the disabled should not travel with friends when visiting Disney? Only family? Think that one through...
I am thinking it through most of the people traveling there are with family, if you are at disney and you are on vacation 9/10 times you are with your family. Almost all of the abuse comes from the scenario of people who use the GAC to get their 5 friends in with them. All because they filed for something that doesn't really debilitate them. This cuts it down to a family only

Last edited:

minninedaisy74

A

Do some of you realize that all children can have melt downs ? So then why should the family with kid who has a bratty meltdown be at a disdvantage park touring wise then the child whose melt down is due to a mental disability? We have left the park several times because my kids for whatever reason couldn't keep it together causing us to experience less magic but I didn't look to Disney fix it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I am thinking it through most of the people traveling there are with family, if you are at disney and you are on vacation 9/10 times you are with your family. Almost all of the abuse comes from the scenario of people who use the GAC to get their 5 friends in with them. All because they filed for something that doesn't really debilitate them. This cuts it down to a family only

Ok, I'll spell it out for you...

You are a disabled young adult visiting WDW with your girlfriend... you've just excluded them
You are a disabled young adult visiting WDW with your roommates... you've just excluded them

It doesn't matter how often you think family is there over friends... you can't exclude people's traveling companions and FORCE a disabled person to experience the park on their own. Hello lawsuit for discrimination under ADA...

Second, if you think this is all 'friends bringing their buds' for all the abuse you have no good insight into how far the problem actually goes. The big party issues are almost always 'extended family'. Grandma's in the chair so lets get a pass for all three of her children's families. And in Cali... the problem is people use it like a frequent traveler card. Families use it blatantly every trip just so they don't have to wait.

As I said.. you hadn't thought that one through...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom