GAC to Become DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goofyernmost

Correct, nothing is needed to rent an ECV but a form of payment, and you must be over 18.

Many attraction lines are mainstreamed for ECV's so that they don't get front of the line access.
Also many of the evil people that everyone looks at with piercing eyes, are just using them to get them to the ride, they don't use them to get to the front of the ride or are they necessarily considered in need of front line, in fact, just the opposite.

Let me tell you a bit of news that I just received. I have been having a lot of trouble walking distances over the last year or so. It turns out that I have tested positive for Rheumatoid Arthritis in my hips, at this point. The chances are that I will have to get one of those magical little machines for my next trip, because otherwise I cannot do the whole place without a lot of pain and having to sit for periods of time. I have no intention of getting a DAS card because frankly I don't need one...I just need to get around. Since I have not been able to actually exercise to any useful degree for the last year I have put on some weight.

Moral of the story...if you see an overweight, bald guy with a grey beard that looks absolutely healthy, able to get out of the ECV and walk pretty much normally, because it only bothers me when I walk too much and you want to get all judgmental on me, be my guest, just while you are imagining it, also image a semi-obscene hand gesture that I would like to be sending your way. :in pain:

Last edited:

Gomer

I have heard that Disney is working closely with Autism Speaks and other organizations to get these type of concerns handled; they realize that adjustments need to be made and they will make them.

Not to get to into the controversy too much, but there is a large portion of the population affected by autism that isn't in total lock step with Autism Speaks. So, that doesn't mean much to me. Not coming down on you for referencing it, but that may not be the total saving grace Disney is depending on for support from the Autism community.

But, as I've said in my previous posts, I'm firmly in favor of the new system that was detailed on miceage. I am just firmly against the removal of the kiosks. I thought that was the lynchpin to making this system work for my situation.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
I don't believe handicap parking spots are available for non-disabled drivers........who then have to move for a disabled driver to park there.

A litttttttle different than a multi-use seat on a transit bus.

But there are signs above the seats clearly stating that guests in these will be asked to move in the even they are needed for wheelchairs/ECVs. By sitting in them, guests are agreeing to move if a wheelchair or ECV needs the space. If you are not inclined to move for a wheelchair or ECV don't sit in the seats.

Goofyernmost

Not to get to into the controversy too much, but there is a large portion of the population affected by autism that isn't in total lock step with Autism Speaks. So, that doesn't mean much to me. Not coming down on you for referencing it, but that may not be the total saving grace Disney is depending on for support from the Autism community.

But, as I've said in my previous posts, I'm firmly in favor of the new system that was detailed on miceage. I am just firmly against the removal of the kiosks. I thought that was the lynchpin to making this system work for my situation.
The latest information that I saw was that the card holder did not have to be present to set a time for return. That way they won't have to be exposed to the ride before hand. I'm not sure how come this isn't a problem for absolutely every ride that you have to pass close too anyway. Isn't there a chance that even after you get a time, that particular ride might be broken down when you return...what do you do then?

Gomer

The latest information that I saw was that the card holder did not have to be present to set a time for return. That way they won't have to be exposed to the ride before hand. I'm not sure how come this isn't a problem for absolutely every ride that you have to pass close too anyway. Isn't there a chance that even after you get a time, that particular ride might be broken down when you return...what do you do then?

I deatiled in length in a post yesterday how I deal with breakdowns. Its probably a couple pages back. And if you are correct about the card holder not being required that that would solve the issue. But the most recent link didn't seem to imply that.

The reason this is different than a breakdown is that it would be a problem every time we ride. As I explained yesterday, I have been working hard with my son for 5 years to improve his flexibility and add alternatives for him to participate in so that he doesn't become over-fixated with one ride and we can work around it when breaks down or has long wait. But with this, It would be like playing russian roullette every time I approach the ride. He won't freak out every time. But there will be a chance he will go off every time we approach, walk right up to the giant tree, and then turn away to come back an hour later.

A break down will happen once in a while, this will be an issue near every time we ride. Because of his fixation, that is generally 6-12 times per week long trip. All I'm saying is that being able to go to a kiosk away from the ride, would be easier for those fixated on certain attractions.

As to the walking by portion of your question. We don't. We don't go anywhere near Pooh unless its time to ride. Its safer that way. I can't wait until my first visit where the path between Mermaid and storybook circus is open, it will keep me from having to cut back through the hub to get from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland.

Goofyernmost

I deatiled in length in a post yesterday how I deal with breakdowns. Its probably a couple pages back. And if you are correct about the card holder not being required that that would solve the issue. But the most recent link didn't seem to imply that.

The reason this is different than a breakdown is that it would be a problem every time we ride. As I explained yesterday, I have been working hard with my son for 5 years to improve his flexibility and add alternatives for him to participate in so that he doesn't become over-fixated with one ride and we can work around it when breaks down or has long wait. But with this, It would be like playing russian roullette every time I approach the ride. He won't freak out every time. But there will be a chance he will go off every time we approach, walk right up to the giant tree, and then turn away to come back an hour later.

A break down will happen once in a while, this will be an issue near every time we ride. Because of his fixation, that is generally 6-12 times per week long trip. All I'm saying is that being able to go to a kiosk away from the ride, would be easier for those fixated on certain attractions.

As to the walking by portion of your question. We don't. We don't go anywhere near Pooh unless its time to ride. Its safer that way. I can't wait until my first visit where the path between Mermaid and storybook circus is open, it will keep me from having to cut back through the hub to get from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland.
I don't remember where I read it, it was on line, and from a pretty good source. I will try and find it but I really don't remember where I saw it. If I can find it, I'll post it.

Gomer

I don't remember where I read it, it was on line, and from a pretty good source. I will try and find it but I really don't remember where I saw it. If I can find it, I'll post it.
Yeah, like I said, I have no idea how accurate the details linked in this thread today are. I should probably hold my tongue until they confirmed. I'll just hope they turn out incorrect.

Last edited:

Nemo14

UPDATE from friends who were trained today:

General Info
-Last day of Guest Assistance Card (GAC) program is Oct 8.
-First day of Disability Access Service (DAS) program is Oct 9.
-Years in the making, but was expedited with the publicity in May.
-Worked closely with AustimSpeaks, park leaders from both coasts, and other disability advocacy groups.
-Sole purpose is the create a consistent similar experience for all guests including making sure guests with disabilities had a much more extreme chance of doing EVERYTHING in the park when the average can hardly do it.

DAS Card Description
-Photo of DAS cardholder will be on the front along with name, date, location issued, and # of guests in the party.
-Guest must also sign a terms and conditions on the DAS card that says they understand how it works, that they won't abuse it, use it for commercial gain, or give it to someone else. If they breach this contract, they can have it revoked.
-DAS cards can only be issued for up to a 7 day period or until the return time slots are filled up, including for pass holders.
-On the back are lots of return time slots, gone are the different stamps.
-Card will be paper and slightly larger than existing GAC card.
-Make-a-Wish and Give Kids the World guests will not use DAS. They will have a separate lanyard issues prior to their visit that will allow expedited waits. Nothing changes for these folks on how they access the attractions, only what they will use.
-Guests with a stroller being used a wheelchair sticker will not need a DAS unless they have other needs that warrant it. Attraction based procedures will used to accommodate these guests.
-Guests needing Front Row Seating will not need a DAS. Attraction based procedures and accommodation will be used.
-Guests who only have mobility issues will not need DAS. Attraction based procedures and accommodation will be used.
-The card also has a QR code making it easy for Guest Relations to reprint new ones with the information ready to go if needed.
-Guest limit is still only 6.

Procedures
-After getting a DAS card, guests will approach the attraction they wish to visit. Each attraction will have a cast member at the entrance to assist you. (Not a kiosk.)
-If the wait is less than 10 minutes, they are admitted through an alternate entrance or Fastpass queue.
-If the wait is more than 10 minutes, they are issued a return time on their DAS card.
-Return times will be based on the current posted wait time minus 10 minutes.
-Only 1 (one) active return time can be written on a DAS card placing you in a virtual standby queue. Just like a regular guest in a standby queue, you can't be in multiple lines at once.
-The DAS card holder (photo and name) does not need to be present to receive a return time which allows families with children with autism a chance to stay clear of the attraction while a member gets the return time to avoid potential meltdowns by not getting to ride right away.
-Once the return time has arrived, you will arrive to the attractions alternate entrance or Fastpass line to redeem.
-Once a return time has been redeemed it is crossed off and no longer active allowing you get a new return time.
-Crossing off a return time also voids or cancels it to the equivalent of getting out of line.
-Fastpass & Fastpass+ are not tied to this program and can be used in conjunction.
-DAS Return Times have the same policy as a Fastpass when it comes to early arrivals, but they do not expire at a certain time of that day allowing those with special needs to not be restricted to returning back by a specific time if it doesn't work for them. The catch however is that it will still remain active and additional return times can't be gotten until it is used.
-The DAS card holder (photo and name) must be present and experiencing the attraction in order to use the return time. If the person isn't present or choose to sit out and let their family ride, they will be turned away and potentially have their card revoked. After all, the card is design to assist the card holder and a few other companions or family members, but it is not designed solely assist the family or companions when the card holder chooses not to or can't ride.
-If an attraction is broken, they can't give you a return time. If you return and it's broken, they will accommodate you by giving you a Fastpass to come back later and clearing your DAS return time to allow you to get another.
-If all your return slots get filled, you have to return to Guest Relations for a new one. (There are a bunch however.)

Additional Procedures
-Attractions that are not fully accessible through the standby queue may also have return cards. These are only for guests with wheelchairs, scooters, & strollers acting as wheelchairs who do not have a DAS card. Space Mountain is an example of a place that already does this, but additional attractions will soon be getting a similar procedure. The return times for these are just like DAS, but because they are attraction specific cards verses a global DAS card, you are able to grab multiple at once if you visit attractions that require it. Not all attractions will have this.

That's all I was told. Hope that helps.

According to this post last night, there are not kisosks, but the card holder does not need to be present to get a time assignment (see the part that I enlarged)

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
According to this post last night, there are not kisosks, but the card holder does not need to be present to get a time assignment (see the part that I enlarged)
That same info was sent out to TA's they also said there were no kiosks you went to the ride entrance and the passholder does not need to be present to make the reservation but does need to be there to redeem it.

Gomer

Thanks! I must have missed that. Not great for a single parent, but at least they are aware of the complication and attempting to accomodate it.

rael ramone

General thoughts:

DAS program: would be much better if it weren't necessary and the GAC system would have been used exclusively by those needing it. Kudos to those who qualified and decided to use it selectively (at times as a teaching tool).
While this could be abused as well (thanks to the upcoming queue gridlock otherwise known as MM Minus), I'm sure those who need the consideration don't need to wait behind the cheaters...

Bus seating: If you sit in the 'wheelchair' seats, it is with the possibilty that you will be required to get up if someone needs it. But I think the driver did good in asking those in the scooters if they would choose to forgoe this 'right' for the sake of the sleeping children. A balanced way to handle the situation.

HC stalls: They aren't designed just for those in wheelchairs. It's for anyone that needs the different amenities that they have, from the wider stall to the steel railings to the extended 'sweep arm' on the lock (they are actually called 'ADA locks') that can be locked by someone who can't turn the regular smaller lock.

jaklgreen

I am not questioning how you deal with your child this is just a suggestion. My niece is autistic and from when she was very little, my sister did not put up with her "meltdowns". She got punished just like her brother. I know you said you are working on basically distracting your son, have you tried to actually discipline him when he does act up? IDK your kid maybe he is so far gone that he does not understand what you say, but I can tell you it made a world of difference to my niece. She has learned acceptable behavior and her "meltdowns" are pretty much down to any other child's level.

Gomer

I am not questioning how you deal with your child this is just a suggestion. My niece is autistic and from when she was very little, my sister did not put up with her "meltdowns". She got punished just like her brother. I know you said you are working on basically distracting your son, have you tried to actually discipline him when he does act up? IDK your kid maybe he is so far gone that he does not understand what you say, but I can tell you it made a world of difference to my niece. She has learned acceptable behavior and her "meltdowns" are pretty much down to any other child's level.

I'm going to choose not to discuss this here. Seeing how easily this thread goes off the rails with a few words, I don't want this to devolve into a war on how society teaches children, nor do I think this a proper place to discuss theories on the inner workings of the autistic mind. But from your "too far gone" comment, i can assume that we disagree fundamentally on a few things and I don't want this to take over the thread.

Rest assured, that I believe you are misunderstanding either my definition of meltdown or my tactics of distraction/discipline. My children are disciplined in a way I find appropriate and when I determine a line of acceptable social behavior has been crossed. Because of the drastically varrying opinions on this message board, if you'd like to discuss further I'd rather do it through PM.

Sans Souci

Wow, just...wow.

Witchy Chick

FWIW, that pathway was open when I was there two weeks ago. Not sure if those were high guest attendance days (one MK close-to-rope-drop day on my trip, and one MK EMH night) or if the pathway is open all the time now.

ParentsOf4

If those details are accurate (I'm not sure, as I'm not familiar with that site) then I may have to pull back on my full fledged support for the new program. Requiring the DAS return time stamp to occur in the presence of the card holder at the ride entrance is a recipe for disaster for those of us in the Autism portion of the DAS users.
Some without Autistic children might not understand but, yes, I'm aware of families whose entire vacations being ruined by this exact scenario. The GAC was such a miracle for families with children with severe Autism and, when introduced, was hailed by advocates as a major step forward.

With the new DAS, it should be possible for any family member to request a return time but that to actually redeem the return time, the person on the DAS will have to be there.

In the situation you describe, it will be necessary for family members to separate.

It seems Disney is implementing essentially the system already used at Universal, the main difference being Uni allows special needs families to enter the FP line immediately if the Standby wait time is 30 minutes or less. Disney proposes using 10 minutes or less, which essentially means always having to return. Yet another example in recent years where Universal leads and Disney follows. In fact, Uni's 30-minute time limit is better. :D

It's really strange since one of the public justifications from corporate Disney for FastPass+ was so that family members would not have to separate while one family member went running around the park trying to maximize use of the old FP system.

Yet Disney expects families with special needs to have to separate to avoid exactly the scenario you describe.

Seems like Disney is talking out of its ...

Gomer

FWIW, that pathway was open when I was there two weeks ago. Not sure if those were high guest attendance days (one MK close-to-rope-drop day on my trip, and one MK EMH night) or if the pathway is open all the time now.
Good to know. I just missed it on my trip in May. It had been open for the busy Spring Break season, but was closed by the time I got there in May. I go back again in January. I'm hoping they'll leave it open permanently after the December holidays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom