GAC to Become DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Bill

FWIW, that pathway was open when I was there two weeks ago. Not sure if those were high guest attendance days (one MK close-to-rope-drop day on my trip, and one MK EMH night) or if the pathway is open all the time now.
It's open all the time now, ever since June.

minninedaisy74

I am not questioning how you deal with your child this is just a suggestion. My niece is autistic and from when she was very little, my sister did not put up with her "meltdowns". She got punished just like her brother. I know you said you are working on basically distracting your son, have you tried to actually discipline him when he does act up? IDK your kid maybe he is so far gone that he does not understand what you say, but I can tell you it made a world of difference to my niece. She has learned acceptable behavior and her "meltdowns" are pretty much down to any other child's level.

That is just it no two Autistic children or alike. I have worked with some clients who are very low functioning Autistic , non verbal and who also have several other issues going on . you can try and discipline them all you want they just aren't going to understand. IMOP trying to discipline these types of children is borderline cruel. Now children who are high functioning and at the low end of the spectrum do have a better understanding and can definitely be taught better coping skills and behavior management.

This is my only issue with the DAS and that it is standard across the board and well different disabilities require different accommodations. I do think the DAS is going to be a better program then GAC once they get the kinks worked out.

NormC

I always yield my seat to anyone that appears to need it more than I do. It is just common courtesy.

The solution to the ECV problem is to create ECV lanes and paths so they can drive them to their resorts. That way there will be more room on the buses. They can have covered charging stations which can also be used as smoking areas.

Just kidding....really!

Gomer

Some without Autistic children might not understand but, yes, I'm aware of families whose entire vacations being ruined by this exact scenario. The GAC was such a miracle for families with children with severe Autism and, when introduced, was hailed by advocates as a major step forward.

With the new DAS, it should be possible for any family member to request a return time but that to actually redeem the return time, the person on the DAS will have to be there.

Yeah, now that I am seeing that I will be able to go pick up the return time, I feel much better about the kiosk loss. Its still not ideal, but its better than I initially feared. I'm just going to have to teach my blabbermouth of a 3 year old to keep quiet about where we just were if I have him with me when I pick it up. (He's a bit of a mischievous instigator :) )

It's really strange since one of the public justifications from corporate Disney for FastPass+ was so that family members would not have to separate while one family member went running around the park trying to maximize use of the old FP system.

Yet Disney expects families with special needs to have to separate to avoid exactly the scenario you describe.

Seems like Disney is talking out of its ...

I am a bit afraid that Disney is taking its special needs guests for granted in much the same way as has been discussed on here, ad nauseum, in regards to DVC members and the always popular "dusters". Over the last 10 years or so, parents of disabled children have bought in... hook, line, and sinker to WDW as a therapy for their children. I know I have. My son makes startling developmental advances with every trip. I loved WDW before. I've been visiting this site since 2002. Its always been a place that I loved. But after my son's first trip in 2007, when the attack on his senses that the theme park provides made him start using more words and sign language to communicate what he wanted or needed to do, I was in. My trips went from every 3-4 years to 1 or 2 a year. I bought into DVC even though I couldn't really afford it. And as much as it pains me to admit it, I'm in, no matter what they do to us. And I think they might know that, which is why they finally took action on the GAC changes. Alsmot every parent of an autistic child I know, goes to WDW once a year or so if they can find a way to afford it. Many will complain about the changes, some will actually stop going, but most will cave in the end because the benefits are too great. Disney has us hooked, and we'll do whatever necesarry to get our kids that fix.

Goofyernmost

According to this post last night, there are not kisosks, but the card holder does not need to be present to get a time assignment (see the part that I enlarged)
Way to go, Mrs. Doubtnemo. That is exactly the one that I was referring too. Thanks...I owe you one or so! Care to share some Ben & Jerry's? I washed the spoon!

jaklgreen

I'm going to choose not to discuss this here. Seeing how easily this thread goes off the rails with a few words, I don't want this to devolve into a war on how society teaches children, nor do I think this a proper place to discuss theories on the inner workings of the autistic mind. But from your "too far gone" comment, i can assume that we disagree fundamentally on a few things and I don't want this to take over the thread.

Rest assured, that I believe you are misunderstanding either my definition of meltdown or my tactics of distraction/discipline. My children are disciplined in a way I find appropriate and when I determine a line of acceptable social behavior has been crossed. Because of the drastically varrying opinions on this message board, if you'd like to discuss further I'd rather do it through PM.
I am sorry I truly meant no offense. I probably could have worded that better. What I meant was there are so many different levels of autism that some kids would not understand what you say or do to them. My only meaning was, I have know parents of autistic kids that would refuse to discipline because they thought they would not understand, and I have seen its benefits with my niece, that is all. It seems like on these boards that someone can say the sky is blue and someone else will call you a jerk for it.

Figaro928

In the subject of Autism, I'm so uninformed that I dare not comment. However, one of my favorite Disney blogs (forgive me- don't know the name or the link) was about the autistic boy and his fascination/fixation/love of the Snow White ride. It was such an amazing story. Thinking about that autistic boy, it saddens me to think that that kind of magic simply is near impossible with the new policy.

Gomer

I am sorry I truly meant no offense. I probably could have worded that better. What I meant was there are so many different levels of autism that some kids would not understand what you say or do to them. My only meaning was, I have know parents of autistic kids that would refuse to discipline because they thought they would not understand, and I have seen its benefits with my niece, that is all. It seems like on these boards that someone can say the sky is blue and someone else will call you a jerk for it.

I didn't think you intended to offend. But, I fear for what this would devolve into if we started discussing the specifics of what you brought up. Not from you necesarrily. Just in general.

Like I said, rest assured...I do not fear disciplining my child, what that means may be different for those who process information differently than the typical child. The negotioations/distractions I referred to with my son were in order to prevent meltdowns, not stop them. So, in the instance you were referrin to, no discipline would be necesarry.

Gomer

In the subject of Autism, I'm so uninformed that I dare not comment. However, one of my favorite Disney blogs (forgive me- don't know the name or the link) was about the autistic boy and his fascination/fixation/love of the Snow White ride. It was such an amazing story. Thinking about that autistic boy, it saddens me to think that that kind of magic simply is near impossible with the new policy.

Great site! The author of that blog posts here from time to time. And he wrote a fantastic book about his son's experiences with Snow White that really captures the link between the WDW environment and the Autistic mind. I recommend it to anyone with interest on the subject.

ParentsOf4

I am a bit afraid that Disney is taking its special needs guests for granted in much the same way as has been discussed on here, ad nauseum, in regards to DVC members and the always popular "dusters". Over the last 10 years or so, parents of disabled children have bought in... hook, line, and sinker to WDW as a therapy for their children. I know I have. My son makes startling developmental advances with every trip.
Like so many things, Disney in general and WDW in particular was on the cutting edge of advancement, whether it was technology, entertainment, dietary needs, or in the treatment of special needs children.

WDW once represented one of the few places where a family with a special needs child could actually catch a break, so I appreciate why you bought so heavily into the WDW of the past.

Sadly, the WDW of the future is but a shell of its former self. Not merely for families with special needs children but for nearly everyone else who grew to love the "old" WDW.

It now feels like the old WDW is dead. MM+ and DAS were the last nails in the coffin. :(

Gomer

Like so many things, Disney in general and WDW in particular was on the cutting edge of advancement, whether it was technology, entertainment, dietary needs, or in the treatment of special needs children.

WDW once represented one of the few places where a family with a special needs child could actually catch a break, so I appreciate why you bought so heavily into the WDW of the past.

Sadly, the WDW of the future is but a shell of its former self. Not merely for families with special needs children but for nearly everyone else who grew to love the "old" WDW.

It now feels like the old WDW is dead. MM+ and DAS were the last nails in the coffin. :(

The problem that I am faced with is that I have no viable alternative. I appreciate and respect that everyone else can run off to Universal. And while that may work with the parents of Children with Autism, I don't think it will for the affected children.

I read a great article once on childhood development and why children with Autism are so drawn to shows like sesame street and Blue's Clues instead of what their peers find entertaining. The theory was that it was the slowness of the cuts in the editing and the static backrounds on which the action takes place. The theory being that there was less background noise to distract the viewer. And since Autism is fundamentally an input/output processing isssue, the affected children are better able to stave off distraction than if they were watching something more visceral like a super hero cartoon.

A long tangent I know, but I'm getting to my point. :) This is the same appeal that Disney's traditional dark rides provide. IASW, Peter Pan, Pirates, Haunted mantion, Pooh, Snow White. These are most consistently the favorites of children with autism. I tried to get my son into Soarin, he could have cared less. Living with the land? He jumps for joy for that one. Go figure.

I hope that Disney can get their act together soon. But if not, I also hope that Universal can start building some of those types of rides, otherwise I will just keep ploldding back to WDW every year, even as I find myself enjoying it less and less because of what my son gets out of it.

Tangent over.

TP2000

You'll have to pardon us if many of us don't understand how DAS ruins the WDW experience, when it seems to enhance it above what any other family gets. Treading lightly here, but I feel the need to express what other honest, friendly, hardworking, God-fearing and good people like myself are thinking on this one...

If you were relying on a card that gave you instant and open access to any ride in the park whenever you wanted it (the way the old GAC worked), then I can understand how magical a WDW vacation must have been for you. No juggling Fastpass tickets and their enforced return times, no standing in slow moving 90 minute Standby lines wedged in next to obnoxious people with conversations or personalities you find annoying, none of the lines and hassles and stressful time constraints that the vast majority of tourists with their own precious children fight against to make a crowded day at Magic Kingdom "fun".

But if that type of VIP experience via GAC was required by you, then I can understand how a more restrictive system like DAS is a downer for you.

But what I can't understand is how you feel entitled to that system. And yes, I know you may struggle with a special needs child who requires extra care and attention every day. But if WDW is compliant with ADA laws, and then they go above and beyond that law with DAS, why do you still feel you need extra perks when paying the same amount of money every other family does to take their own precious children to WDW?

Why not lobby your congressman to amend the ADA laws to include a mandate for open and instant access to theme park rides, if that's what you feel you deserve?

Figaro928

I don't have a special needs child, but i did recently take my 2 toddlers to WDW so i fall into the "nearly everyone else who grew to love the "old" WDW" While I understand your veiwpoint, I have to disagree with it through my own personal experiences.

For my family, it was just as magical and amazing for my children and I had remebered it being for me as a child. Cast members in all aspects of all the parks went above and beyond to deliver the "magic" The rides were all pure enjoyment for the kids. Our dietary needs were not only met but exceeded our expectations (one gluten free and one vegetarian). And I think MM+ only helped in delivering the magic. It helped to make the trip easier and seamless.

At one point, it was hot, humid, crowded and there was foreign speaking family that was being extremely loud and rude. I lost my cool and got cranky. I began complaining under my breath about WDW. My amazingly cool-headed DH simply stated that maybe Disney didnt chang - I did. I'm a lot more cynical, critical and well...cranky than i was when I'm ten. My kids didn't notice the heat, humidity, crowds or obnoxious guests - all they saw was DISNEY

This is not to say that I don't agree that Disney has changed for the worse - i believe in some ways it has. But i do think in many many ways the Disney Magic is still alive and well - at least for my family

Lokheed

Thank you for thinking of my son. The blog is at http://shmoolok.com and there is information there about the book as well.

I am curious to see the new program in practice, and I am kind of waiting to see it first-hand before I comment about it. For my family, at least, the impact will be either minor or nonexistent. Ben hasn't needed the GAC in months, he is perfectly capable of standing in line for over an hour without a problem. Then again, he reached that point in large part by making use of the GAC in order to learn how to function more appropriately in puplic places. It's a safe bet I'll have a blog post about the new program in a few weeks once we have tried it out.

Nemo14

Great site! The author of that blog posts here from time to time. And he wrote a fantastic book about his son's experiences with Snow White that really captures the link between the WDW environment and the Autistic mind. I recommend it to anyone with interest on the subject.

Yes, that's Ron Miles (screen name is Lokheed). His posts really melt your heart.

ParentsOf4

The problem that I am faced with is that I have no viable alternative. I appreciate and respect that everyone else can run off to Universal. And while that may work with the parents of Children with Autism, I don't think it will for the affected children.
I'm a big fan of what Universal is doing for the general public but WDW is much more small-child friendly; WDW is targeted for a much younger crowd. Perhaps when your special needs child is older, Uni might work. For now, I think you have little choice but to stick with WDW even though I suspect the new DAS card will make your situation more difficult.

The entire "photograph the recipient" requirement of the DAS shows that Disney doesn't have a clear appreciation of children with severe autism.

In my circle, I'm the "Walt Disney World expert". In the past, when a family with a special needs child asked me where to go, I used to always tell them WDW, don't bother with Uni. WDW's GAC card was far superior to Uni's Attraction Assistance Pass (AAP). Now, Uni's system that's better.

Yet again in recent years, WDW was once in the lead only to give up that lead to Uni.

As you wrote earlier, Autism Speaks represents only one view, just like any advocacy group (or political party) only represents a subset of the group it allegedly represents. The DAS might work for one set of families facing a particular set of challenges but not for others.

I find it pathetic that Disney is attempting to use Autism Speaks as a shield to criticism. On so many levels, the DAS represents a step backwards for families struggling to overcome the hurdles faced by those with special needs children.

Those of us who have followed WDW closely have seen it take so many steps backwards on so many levels in recent years. :(

Dasnowz

why do you still feel you need extra perks when paying the same amount of money every other family does to take their own precious children to WDW?

This thinking is part of the issue. Everyone pays the same but the truly disabled for the most part have a less experience. The GAC was Disney's attempt to level that....

Some things the disabled deal with:
-Wait times for a companion bathroom.
-Walking slower and a normal 10 min walk takes 30.
-Using a handicap access line that you have to wait 50 min for a wheel chair access car because there is one and there are 10 other groups in front of you. And the ride wait time is only 30 min.
-Not being able to tolerate heat (certain illness are like this) and leaving after only 4 or 5 hours for the day.
-An autistic child having a meltdown over something causing an adult to have to take the child back to the hotel for the day after 1 ride.

These are a few of situations people seem to forget. The abusers are the ones who deserve punishment not those who truly need it.

And I know a few disabled families who never EVER go to uni because they don't have experience for the money spent. They always said Disney is more user friendly.

Again I think this is not the ideal solution. I think it will shake out the scammers but punish the needs. The ideal would be to show a need for it but that is illegal.

Oh and I haven't mentioned this yet but my local grocery store does accommodate ECV's. They in fact have a separate line strictly for them to enter. I live in Florida on the east coast. But I shop in military stores and they do accommodate disabled.

ParentsOf4

But if WDW is compliant with ADA laws, and then they go above and beyond that law with DAS, why do you still feel you need extra perks when paying the same amount of money every other family does to take their own precious children to WDW?
In a nutshell, you've summarized what's wrong with WDW today. Rather than improve the experience for everyone, let's lower standards for those most in need. Let's take the cheapest route possible while raising ticket prices another 7%. Let's worship the almighty dollar.

When I see a family struggling with a child with a severe disability, I offer to help if I can. I certainly don't mind waiting a few extra minutes in a line while a few special needs children "cut" ahead of me. I can only begin to imagine the difficulties they must face every day. It's nice to see at least one place where their struggles are briefly eased. I (used to) think, "wow, isn't Disney great for providing them with a little extra help." I say to my children, "look at this wonderful thing Disney is doing for those families". I was raised to be believe it's not all about me and have raised my children to think the same. My heart goes out to those families.

Where does your heart go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom