GAC to Become DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

minninedaisy74

W
So, it's on a case-by-case basis, then.

Charming.

Thanks for the clarification.
Why I am not surprised by your self righteous comment! Really I am ashamed for letting myself be sucked into your juvenile game to make me look bad and yourself saint like. You can continue to quote me but I am done responding to you. So carry on!

Last edited:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
W

Because those seats like handicap stalls or not for use for only handicap people.
Are you really going to compare a seat on a bus to a handicap stall? How long do you campout in a handicap stall? Do you get in there and put on your makeup...take a sponge bath?

luv

W

Why I am not surprised by your self righteous comment! Really I am ashamed for letting myself be sucked into your juvenile game to make me look bad and yourself saint like. You can continue to quote me but I done responding to you. So carry on!
LOL, it isn't saint-like to get out of the handicapped seats when a handicapped person comes along. Once upon a time, everyone consider this sort of thing to be the LEAST they could do. I'm one of those people.

This idea you have, of deciding which handicapped people you will move for and which you won't...that's very new.

If I didn't get out of the handicapped section for a handicapped person, my parents and grandparents would not just roll over in their graves, but would haunt me, I'm sure. So it's partially self-preservation.

luv

Weighs each case on its merits. If its merits weigh too much then it's a no move situation.
It seems like maybe, but we have no way of knowing, for certain. All we know for sure is that she (he? i hope it is a woman) makes a case-by-case determinations as to whether to give up the handicapped seat to a handicapped person or not. And that this is done at Disney, but not on city busses, where the police would drag her out of the seat. I'm certain she isn't THAT brave.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
It seems like maybe, but we have no way of knowing, for certain. All we know for sure is that she (he? i hope it is a woman) makes a case-by-case determinations as to whether to give up the handicapped seat to a handicapped person or not. And that this is done at Disney, but not on city busses, where the police would drag her out of the seat. I'm certain she isn't THAT brave.
Maybe the pixie dust clouds the better judgement.....

Reactions: luv

flynnibus

Premium Member
Heck, you're the one that keeps quoting ADA. It is possible that Disney could ignore it and nothing would happen, but, for municipal buses that are generally funded by the government, they stand to lose a lot if they are reported as leaving a person with a mobile device sitting on the side of the road when space is available

My post didn't say anything about leaving her... I was talking about the lady opt'ing to wait. Government funded transit is covered under title II of the ADA - local and government services.

Jane Doe

Just out of curiosity, would you also refuse to move your vehicle if it was improperly parked in a handicap zone, if you thought that the handicapped person needing the space was rude?

I parked in a handicap spot once. Actually, on a handicap person. I told him I'd be back in five minutes, so that's not such a big deal.

Hyperspace Hoopla

These new rules won't have any effect on renting ECVs or using them on busses. I don't know where you got that, but it isn't the case
For me, I hope it does have an effect. If, as has been speculated, a large number of people using the GAC were able bodied men and women, who didn't use an ECV the other 358 days of the year, and if these people are now put off enough by the recent rule changes that they no longer see a benefit to renting the ECV to go along with a bogus note from their doctor (or whatever), then the congestion they cause, both in the parks and on buses may subside a bit.

We're all good people here, and the personal back and forth is getting out of hand. No one suggested that the family was justified in their anger at being asked to move. Those seats are reserved for the handicapped, and anyone who can read english (or spanish probably) would know that, and should be expected to move.

The difference in opinion I think stems from the fact that some of us read the story, and view the 50 year old obese woman as being handicapped (yes - as was asked earlier, the fact that she is obese matters to the story more than her race or religion, because her race or religion are not the reason she's in an ECV - one can assume from the original post that her size is the reason). Other readers view her as a person taking up the space on the bus reserved for people with CP, or make-a-wish kids, or veterans who lost limbs in Iraq - etc. for no more reason than she chooses not to walk around on her own.

I'm obese. While it handicaps me in a number of ways, I don't view it as a handicap - it's the result of a number of bad choices I've made over the years, and I would never expect others to pay for my bad choices by taking up four or five seats on a bus, whether they were full of sleeping children or not. I stand on the bus by choice. Maybe some can't. That's not for me to judge, but I clearly see a difference between the truely hanicapped, and an otherwise healthly large person on an ECV.

Last edited:

awoogala

I don't recall anyone mentioning men giving up a seat to an able bodied woman. This conversation was around giving up seats to elderly, disabled, pregnant women and young children. I would expect a healthy man OR WOMAN in their 20's or 30s to get up for any of those people.
My whole family has gotten up. We're young, we're strong. My husband, myself, my 10 year old son, would always give our seat to anyone more in need. My daughter just turned 8 this year, and she is willing and able to stand on the monorail to let babies/moms with babies/elderly/pregnant women/handicapped sit. (not quite ready for standing on a bus yet). It needn't be one sex. It's called common courtesy.. give what you don't need to someone in need.

Hyperspace Hoopla

To try to get back to the main topic, can someone with experience touring a park with a disability speak to the process at other venues like Uni/Seaworld/Six Flags etc? How different is this new plan from what's in place at similar locations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom