GAC to Become DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure how UNI or others handle it. The only time we went to UNI we stayed at one of there resorts and your resort key works like a fast pass.

BigThunderMatt

I am not sure how UNI or others handle it. The only time we went to UNI we stayed at one of there resorts and your resort key works like a fast pass.

What Disney is doing is the industry standard. Universal and many other theme parks have identical systems. Disney was the only one doing anything different, and look what it ended up causing. You try to go "above and beyond" and it gets abused.

wdwms

Details of DAS are here:
https://www.disneycorner.com/the-dc...ty-access-service-coming-to-walt-disney-world

These points look like a disaster, and model of inefficiency:
  • The Cast Member will then fill in the information in the back of the card (see above).
  • WHAT IF A GUEST INPUTS A RIDE'S NAME AND RETURN TIME TO TRY TO CHEAT ON THE SYSTEM? That will not be possible. Cast Members filling out the back of the DAS card will use different-colored pens to write. In addition to that, every attraction will be given a specific "password" EVERY SINGLE DAY that will be written in the "Cast" line (back of the card).

Really, with all the technology of FastPass+ we are resorting to different colored pens and passwords? There has got to be a better way...

And if the DAS card fills up, guess you need to go get another one... this seems like a band-aid fix for now.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Details of DAS are here:
https://www.disneycorner.com/the-dc...ty-access-service-coming-to-walt-disney-world

• The Cast Member will then fill in the information in the back of the card (see above).
  • WHAT IF A GUEST INPUTS A RIDE'S NAME AND RETURN TIME TO TRY TO CHEAT ON THE SYSTEM? That will not be possible. Cast Members filling out the back of the DAS card will use different-colored pens to write. In addition to that, every attraction will be given a specific "password" EVERY SINGLE DAY that will be written in the "Cast" line (back of the card).

Really, with all the technology of FastPass+ we are resorting to different colored pens and passwords? There has got to be a better way...

And if the DAS card fills up, guess you need to go get another one... this seems like a band-aid fix for now.
I'm guessing these are temporary measures until MBs are completely rolled out and they can get everything integrated.

DisneyJoe

Silly question - With the old policy - were people able to rent EVC's without using GAC?

Correct, nothing is needed to rent an ECV but a form of payment, and you must be over 18.

Many attraction lines are mainstreamed for ECV's so that they don't get front of the line access.

Figaro928

Correct, nothing is needed to rent an ECV but a form of payment, and you must be over 18.

Many attraction lines are mainstreamed for ECV's so that they don't get front of the line access.

Thanks, that's what I thought. About how much is it off chance to rent one for the day? And do they give a discount for guests with DAC/GAC? Just curious.

Gomer

In addition to that, I believe most ECV's (or at least a significant portion) are rented from outside companies so that they can be used outside the parks (hotels, etc) so it wouldn't be possible to tie that to GAC/DAS only needs.

Figaro928

Details of DAS are here:

I thought I read somewhere that it was going to eventually link up to Magic Bands

Figaro928

In addition to that, I believe most ECV's (or at least a significant portion) are rented from outside companies so that they can be used outside the parks (hotels, etc) so it wouldn't be possible to tie that to GAC/DAS only needs.
:facepalm::rolleyes: DUH that makes sense... Sorry for the blonde moment

ratherbeinwdw

Thanks, that's what I thought. About how much is it off chance to rent one for the day? And do they give a discount for guests with DAC/GAC? Just curious.
The time I rented one when I had a ruptured disk, it was either 60 or 65 a day, but they refunded 20.00 when I returned it. They do not give a discount, well, they didn't.

DisneyJoe

If you rent at a park, I believe the current price is $70/day, but they give you $20 back when you return it that day. It cannot be taken from the park.

The price from an outside preferred vendor is $30 or $40 a day, depending on the model and where you rent it from.

luv

For me, I hope it does have an effect. If, as has been speculated, a large number of people using the GAC were able bodied men and women, who didn't use an ECV the other 358 days of the year, and if these people are now put off enough by the recent rule changes that they no longer see a benefit to renting the ECV to go along with a bogus note from their doctor (or whatever), then the congestion they cause, both in the parks and on buses may subside a bit.

We're all good people here, and the personal back and forth is getting out of hand. No one suggested that the family was justified in their anger at being asked to move. Those seats are reserved for the handicapped, and anyone who can read english (or spanish probably) would know that, and should be expected to move.

The difference in opinion I think stems from the fact that some of us read the story, and view the 50 year old obese woman as being handicapped (yes - as was asked earlier, the fact that she is obese matters to the story more than her race or religion, because her race or religion are not the reason she's in an ECV - one can assume from the original post that her size is the reason). Other readers view her as a person taking up the space on the bus reserved for people with CP, or make-a-wish kids, or veterans who lost limbs in Iraq - etc. for no more reason than she chooses not to walk around on her own.

I'm obese. While it handicaps me in a number of ways, I don't view it as a handicap - it's the result of a number of bad choices I've made over the years, and I would never expect others to pay for my bad choices by taking up four or five seats on a bus, whether they were full of sleeping children or not. I stand on the bus by choice. Maybe some can't. That's not for me to judge, but I clearly see a difference between the truely hanicapped, and an otherwise healthly large person on an ECV.

I don't know who is suggesting people rent these things to get a GAC. I can only assume people who aren't at all familiar with GAC or touring the parks with an ECV. The GAC is wildly abused. Those who abused it did so because they wanted to make everything quicker and easier for themselves. Using an ECV makes things slower and harder. They wouldn't bother to use (or pay for) an ECV. They would take five minutes to stop and get a GAC, though.

You can not assume that she was in the chair because she was fat. Well, you could. You could assume anything you want. But there is no reason, short of wanting it to be true, to assume that. In any event, you cannot know that. It is as irrelevant as the color of her skin. The story is the same whether she is fat or thin. If people jump on the hate bandwagon because she is fat...well, they need to examine their own consciences there. In any event, it doesn't affect the facts of the story any more than adding her skin color to the story would.

The new rules will not affect the ECV use at all. They will affect two groups of people - people who actually needed the GAC and people who didn't, but used it, anyway.

And if you read the thread, you will see more than one person who did, indeed, feel those people's irritation at changing seats was justified. You will also find at least one poster who wouldn't who states she would not leave the handicapped section and brags about how she would get away with it because Disney wouldn't stop her.

The ECV thing is not affected by the new rules at all. They won't change anything related to ECVs.

Gomer

If those details are accurate (I'm not sure, as I'm not familiar with that site) then I may have to pull back on my full fledged support for the new program. Requiring the DAS return time stamp to occur in the presence of the card holder at the ride entrance is a recipe for disaster for those of us in the Autism portion of the DAS users.

Its one thing to plan around my son, or hide the true purpose of the kiosks to my son. But to bring him up ti the Pooh ride, shove it in his face and then take it away? Every occurence is going to be like walking through a minefield.

I really hope this is very temporary and that they will move it to MDE or kiosks in the near future. That model is going to mean perpetual fear of meltdowns.

DisneyJoe

If those details are accurate (I'm not sure, as I'm not familiar with that site) then I may have to pull back on my full fledged support for the new program. Requiring the DAS return time stamp to occur in the presence of the card holder at the ride entrance is a recipe for disaster for those of us in the Autism portion of the DAS users.

I have heard that Disney is working closely with Autism Speaks and other organizations to get these type of concerns handled; they realize that adjustments need to be made and they will make them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom