GAC to Become DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

IWantMyMagicBand

For someone who has a son with autism the GAC was a godsend. Not having it will make it virtually impossible to take him back to Disney. It really is terrible that people had to abuse it so now those who really do need it won't get to use it. We tried this at universal and island of adventure and I ended up buying their express passes for all three of us costing us another $300+.

People who aren't in the situation won't get it which is fine. There is no reasoning with him I can't go to a ride and have them say come back in 45 minutes. He isn't going to understand it, all he knows is he wants to go on x ride. There is no redirecting him to something else. It will just end up with him having a full fledge meltdown requiring us to leave the park.

I'm glad we got to take him at least once.
The Yahoo report quoted as saying that an autism charity was involved in the decision making. I do have issues with my son. He gets fixated on doing something. If I needed to use the new system I would not say we are going to do "X". I would make the ride reservation and then head straight to the ride when it's time. There would be no waiting involved that he would know about. I purposely avoid situations that could result in a "fixation episode" unless we are prepared for it.
I also find visual timelines work well. We have actual pictures of what happens when, especially for school. As he gets older, he is getting better, and I can use the 1,2,3 rule as I've said before, and I use that for my other son too. And I know some of my friends that carry cards round with laminated pictures that shows what happens.
Essentially the DAS is not going to make you wait any longer. Telling your son he is going to ride "X" before you make the ride reservation time will.

awoogala

Thanks for the article link!

The problem is, that the author doesn't speak to the advantages @flynnibus describes in the new system. The more I read about DAS, the more it seems like fastpass++....and as the author rightly points out, if you take away the advantage, you create a disincentive for the abuse. The problem is, he's not recognizing that there's still an advantage.

Also, still no mention of restricting access to the truly needy. All this system does is force GAC, now DAS, users to play more by the rules, it doesn't prevent those that shouldn't have it in the first place, from getting it.

The whole thing seems to me like a "Step 1".
I get what Flynn is saying, as described, there is still possibility for abuse, BUT, (hear me out). This makes me wonder if they are trying some behind the scenes ways of cutting down on abuse. Not sure how, but between the photos (photo id software), and the one per day, and the kiosks, I am wondering if this will be starting the process, and more will be coming to try and reign in false usage.
With magicband, they can absolutely start tracking where you are.
Say you get a DAS, because you "can't wait on line"..then your magicband tracks you waiting on another line for 30 minutes while you wait for your DAS return time. Or you say you "can't stand for long in the sun" and then you are tracked in full sun, watching a parade for over an hour.. Not sure any of this is feasible..or legal... but I am just brainstorming ways it eventually could be used..

Reactions: Tom

IWantMyMagicBand

The whole thing seems to me like a "Step 1".
I get what Flynn is saying, as described, there is still possibility for abuse, BUT, (hear me out). This makes me wonder if they are trying some behind the scenes ways of cutting down on abuse. Not sure how, but between the photos (photo id software), and the one per day, and the kiosks, I am wondering if this will be starting the process, and more will be coming to try and reign in false usage.
With magicband, they can absolutely start tracking where you are.
Say you get a DAS, because you "can't wait on line"..then your magicband tracks you waiting on another line for 30 minutes while you wait for your DAS return time. Or you say you "can't stand for long in the sun" and then you are tracked in full sun, watching a parade for over an hour.. Not sure any of this is feasible..or legal... but I am just brainstorming ways it eventually could be used..
Glad I'm one of the honest ones then :)

jaklgreen

Over the past dozen or so trips to WDW, my wife has been forced routinely to wait anywhere from 20 to 45 minutes at restrooms because many guests choose to use the accessible stalls that force guests with mobility issues to wait in very uncomfortable conditions. Ironically, this seems to be an issue in ladies rooms much more so than mens rooms as very rarely do I encounter the mens room accessible stall in-use and would never use it as I was brought up to respect that there is typically only one option for people with accessibilty issues while I have many.
I am sorry but we ALL, by all I mean women, have to wait in an uncomfortable state waiting for a stall. I have bladder issues and will pee my pants if I do not get to go. So if a handicapped stall is free I will take it. And as others have stated that is where they put the diaper changing station in a lot of restrooms. Handicapped accessible is not handicapped only.

awoogala

Disney has a plan for this too. Make A Wish families will be given a special Genie lanyard that can only be received from the Make a Wish Head Quarters. None will be available onsite.
They aren't talking about Make-a wish..they are talking about VIP tours. $300 or so an hour for 8 hours, and you have a human fastpass for every park, for up to like 8 people. Disney already has the haves and have nots waiting longer..

awoogala

I didn't see it in the promotion, but, I was under the impression that this was over and above park admission. So one pays that plus admission fee's. Multiple parks if you have a Park Hopper. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it includes park admission, we should all do that. I guess it would work if you spend enough hours on the tour, but there must be some minimum if that is the case.
No, this is in addition to your tickets.
(We won a trip once, and got a vip tour. 8 hours, and we did every big ride in every park, amazing. )

flynnibus

Premium Member

That would be extremely risky for Disney. If they were to get sued, even if you demonstrate the person couldn't possibly be impacted to the degree they might claim, if they could still demonstrate they do have the disability... Disney could be screwed. Even if the person was exaggerating, they might still have the issue. Just too much to lose, and not much to gain for Disney IMO.

Disney is certainly setting up barriers to discourage abuse by making the process more involved and adding some limits. But the system as described right now still offers alot over a regular guest for those willing to jump through the hoops. So much I still think many will milk it.

But its like the CM passes a bit... by enforcing the party stick together, they can really shutdown the 'pass and go' models.

IWantMyMagicBand

I am sorry but we ALL, by all I mean women, have to wait in an uncomfortable state waiting for a stall. I have bladder issues and will pee my pants if I do not get to go. So if a handicapped stall is free I will take it. And as others have stated that is where they put the diaper changing station in a lot of restrooms. Handicapped accessible is not handicapped only.
I think because here, across the pond, our baby changes are usually separate, it never occurred to me to look in a disabled. We went back to the Babycare Center each time.
And I hear you on the bladder issue. If Tena gave shares based on use, well...... Your mum never tells you about THAT when you're planning kids :) The snurtsy (sneeze/curtsy) isn't so funny when it's happening to you! I'm getting some meds from the dr before we go to Paris next month that helps with the situation.

OswaldTheRabbit

The Yahoo report quoted as saying that an autism charity was involved in the decision making. I do have issues with my son. He gets fixated on doing something. If I needed to use the new system I would not say we are going to do "X". I would make the ride reservation and then head straight to the ride when it's time. There would be no waiting involved that he would know about. I purposely avoid situations that could result in a "fixation episode" unless we are prepared for it.
I also find visual timelines work well. We have actual pictures of what happens when, especially for school. As he gets older, he is getting better, and I can use the 1,2,3 rule as I've said before, and I use that for my other son too. And I know some of my friends that carry cards round with laminated pictures that shows what happens.
Essentially the DAS is not going to make you wait any longer. Telling your son he is going to ride "X" before you make the ride reservation time will.
My son is autistic and I thought I had read in the first article that the card holder had to be present. Please correct me of I am wrong. If that is not the case then I think the changes will be manageable for our son. My personal concern for his behaviors is the double waiting would be very challenging for him (and therefore us).

I do like they the autism speaks spokesman stated it may be workable for kids on the spectrum. That took some of the anxiety away about the process I was having!

I think I was just scarred from all the tantrum/meltdowns we have endured in our lives.

JimboJones123

Since these Facebook users did post on the Disney World Facebook comments section, I will pass them on. But no names:

I am very sad and disappointed at Walt Disney World's decision to end the guest assistance pass. I am sad for the many families that could only accomplish a trip there with it. Those with autistic children and special needs strive to have a small piece of normal in their lives. Shame on the wealthy for hiring special needs people to get their own card, shame on the teenagers for taking turns using the wheel chairs - people should know better but in todays society no one cares about consequences of their actions. The new system is not going to work for autistic kids, families live minute to minute (ok - sometimes five to ten) but scheduling to be back -- bahhha -- obviously no one on the Disney Board has an autistic child. I am sad because it is a no win situation -- if they require an IEP or doctors authorization there will be those screaming discrimination and citing the disability act. However, I am guessing many families would indeed bring them if it meant being able to share the Disney experience with their family. It not only effects the disabled child but the neurotypical siblings that also live the life of autism. It was a chance for the "entire family" to be together. We took Grace once -- she rode one ride -- we had to have a wheel chair for her -- but the one ride and the picture with our family with a big blue bear character was thrilling for all of us. I would take the older children to Disney once or twice a year as a quick get away for them to have some own special mom time just for them. Now, I just have a bad taste from it all. We were going to go in November for Madelyn's birthday and do the December Christmas party which we love -- but she has chosen not to and will have a small party at the house instead. I just don't know where everyone's morals have gone. It's such a shame.

i just seen that on msn. my son is autistic and we go every winter. i was looking up airfare before i seen that and was so happy i didnt book. i cant take my son to disney and not have the fast pass....its sad that people would abuse it

you outta be ashamed of yourselves for canceling easy access for the disabled. Seriously, you really think a few rich moms ruined it? I think you #Disney are simply trying to upsell your #DisneyVIP access. Way to go...not!

As regards to the comment about using a well chair and being able to walk a small distance.....my grandson uses a wheel chair, he can walk small distances then his legs and feet hurt, what do you suggest we do carry him?....I think not......he also has ADHD/autism has problems standing/sitting in queues , what do you suggest for that? Perhaps he don't go on rides? Maybe we just don't take him to his favourite place, would that make you happier.."..Michelle Minton Rise?...........I do agree that there is a certain amount of abuse in the use of wheel chairs but don't type cast all wheel chair users........why Disney is getting rid if these special tickets beats me...it has helped my grandson to be able to go on a ride now he will just have to watch others having fun....it is so so very sad they have chosen to do this......

So, what I cannot understand is why a family cannot get a time, grab a snack, then get the same special treatment they have always gotten? Seems like built in breaks could be very helpful.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
They aren't talking about Make-a wish..they are talking about VIP tours. $300 or so an hour for 8 hours, and you have a human fastpass for every park, for up to like 8 people. Disney already has the haves and have nots waiting longer..
Sorry that was a mistake I quoted the wrong post. Someone had posted a comment about rich people making fake Make A Wish shirts to cut the line.

ml123_9

So what about the people with kids in wheelchairs, or anyone in a wheelchair? What are we supposed to do, sit in the shade for 2 hours while we wait for splash mountain? What if there isn't a parade during that time or we've already ate? We normally go the first of August and most lines are long anyway, whether the queue is wheelchair accessible or not. Besides, how many queue's in MK or Epcot are wheel chair accessible anyway? The GAC allowed us to enjoy every ride together as a family. If GR's wouldn't have handed the GAC's out like candy on Halloween, we wouldn't be in this mess. I'm all for providing a Doc's note. To hell with HIPAA, you can clearly tell he's disabled when he tries to stand up. I don't need a privacy law for that. All a Doc's note needs to say is "Can't stand for long periods of time" or "Can't be in a crowd for long periods of time".

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Over the past dozen or so trips to WDW, my wife has been forced routinely to wait anywhere from 20 to 45 minutes at restrooms because many guests choose to use the accessible stalls that force guests with mobility issues to wait in very uncomfortable conditions. Ironically, this seems to be an issue in ladies rooms much more so than mens rooms as very rarely do I encounter the mens room accessible stall in-use and would never use it as I was brought up to respect that there is typically only one option for people with accessibilty issues while I have many.
Part of that problem is putting the diaper changing stations in the handicapped stalls many places.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I will remember this the next time I need a bathroom and the accessible stall is the only option available. I apologize now for the inconvenience of anyone that has to step around what I leave on the floor because I should not use an accessible stall when its wide open and available.

JimboJones123

So what about the people with kids in wheelchairs, or anyone in a wheelchair? What are we supposed to do, sit in the shade for 2 hours while we wait for splash mountain? What if there isn't a parade during that time or we've already ate? We normally go the first of August and most lines are long anyway, whether the queue is wheelchair accessible or not. Besides, how many queue's in MK or Epcot are wheel chair accessible anyway? The GAC allowed us to enjoy every ride together as a family. If GR's wouldn't have handed the GAC's out like candy on Halloween, we wouldn't be in this mess. I'm all for providing a Doc's note. To hell with HIPAA, you can clearly tell he's disabled when he tries to stand up. I don't need a privacy law for that. All a Doc's note needs to say is "Can't stand for long periods of time" or "Can't be in a crowd for long periods of time".
Understand that the line is going to be 2 hours. Get your ride reservation, then hit CBJ and/or Tiki. When you do that, you can also grab a normal fastpass for Big Thunder and double your rides when you venture yonder. Whaaaahoooo!

Absimilliard

For kicks, I checked the DIS boards disability forum, which as you know, tell anyone who an ingrown nail to rent an ECV. I am just slightly exagerating, btw.

They are not allowed to discuss the switch from the GAC to the DAS. There is a locked thread at the top that talked about "the rumors", but that's it. Any subject discussing it is locked and the member warned not to open any subject until "it is official". My take is that the mods don't want to dissapoint the pixie dust addicts who just lost their front of the line pass and since they are not allowed to be negative about WDW, let's ban any discussion about it!

Spikerdink

[was going to quote a previous post, but think it would be too flammable....]

I don't think that this can be blamed on Guest Relations. How are these people supposed to determine if someone 'looks' handicapped or not? I have taken trips on three occasions where we used a GAC - and I would defy you to look at any of my friends/guests and tell me what their handicap is. One friend was recovering from treatment for prostate cancer which weakened his legs and when possible we would try to minimize the time he had to stand. Another friend has systemic lupus and her body has been ravaged over time to the extent that a full day of walking in the park will knock her out for two days. The third person is an autistic boy [not going to argue with the people who claim autism is fake and all Jack needs is a good swat]. We used the passes for different things - minimizing standing, using a wheelchair access point.....

What I am seeing is that if/when I travel with these friends again, we would still be able to meet the accommodations to assist them in finding the maximum enjoyment in the parks. We just need to manage things differently. Like 'normal' families we may see a line is too long for a certain ride and we improvise and change plans to maximize our time.

I don't agree that people say, 'but what am I supposed to do for the hour until I can come back?' - take a look at that line. There are families standing there waiting their turn. You are still on equal footing with them, you just have a valet service so to speak and can come back without waiting in the line. Instead of getting to bypass the line, you will have to come up with ways of passing the time, just like everyone else. Isn't that what is ultimately 'fair'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom