GAC to Become DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazyboy97o

I'm not really sure they have been. One lady with a Facebook page and a few posters here, but we have had a number of posters here who are parents of autistic children who are not vocal opponents or at least understand the reasons for the change. In defense of the hippie lady she does say that her site is just for entertainment and is not intended to be a resource. She isn't claiming to be the spokesperson for the autistic parent community and IMHO we shouldn't treat her like she is.
That Disney only specifically mentioned Autism Speaks in their official announcements and communications indicates to me that they were concerned about the reaction from this particular group over others.

luv

I totally agree! :)
Lol, if you wonder about Disney being behind that article, don't say so around here. You'll be told that you wear tin foil hats and are stupid, lol.

It may be a total coincidence that right before Disney had to clear the excess people from their FP lines to make way for FPP, there was a big brouhaha over "rich people" taking advantage of GACs so they could get on IASW immediately while everyone else waited two and half hours. I knew that story was BS immediately. I also knew they were using "rich people" to get most of America to say, "Yeah! Bad!" and be totally on the side of stopping the abuse. I couldn't figure out why, though.

But I didn't think much more about it until Disney suddenly decided, after all this time, to DO SOMETHING about the abuse. That surprised me. As I realized they were rolling out this FPP thing, i thought, "That could be my Why from back when." It all clicked and made sense. To me, anyway.

That's what I think happened. I could be so wrong! The timing could be a coincidence and there could be some other reason that BS article was written. But that's my take.

Now I'll be called stupid and told I wear a tin foil hat. :) That could be true, too. :)

Nemo14

Lol, if you wonder about Disney being behind that article, don't say so around here. You'll be told that you wear tin foil hats and are stupid, lol.

It may be a total coincidence that right before Disney had to clear the excess people from their FP lines to make way for FPP, there was a big brouhaha over "rich people" taking advantage of GACs so they could get on IASW immediately while everyone else waited two and half hours. I knew that story was BS immediately. I also knew they were using "rich people" to get most of America to say, "Yeah! Bad!" and be totally on the side of stopping the abuse. I couldn't figure out why, though.

But I didn't think much more about it until Disney suddenly decided, after all this time, to DO SOMETHING about the abuse. That surprised me. As I realized they were rolling out this FPP thing, i thought, "That could be my Why from back when." It all clicked and made sense. To me, anyway.

That's what I think happened. I could be so wrong! The timing could be a coincidence and there could be some other reason that BS article was written. But that's my take.

Now I'll be called stupid and told I wear a tin foil hat. :) That could be true, too. :)

We can wear matching hats, because those were my thoughts exactly!

Reactions: luv

diznyboyz

Not quite how it works. There are (and this is over generalizing for the sake of making it clear) two types of folks with autism. Sensory seekers and sensory sensitive. Sensory sensitive people react negatively to most loud/extreme stimuli and would never last in a theme park. Sensory seekers find joy in the movement, music, and lights a theme park provides. The hyper-stimulation actually focuses them more than in normal life and you will sometimes see extreme advances in behavior as they try learn to communicate. My mostly (at the time)non-verbal son spoke one of his first full sentences at age 3 because we were walking by IASW and he wanted to go on it. From that moment on, we began taking him yearly, and every year he does something in WDW that he would never do at home. He speaks more coherently, interacts more typically, and is generally less stressed than he is at home (anxiety and intense stress are one of the unfortunate side-effects of autism). When we come back, his teachers note an uptick in his school performance for 3-4 weeks afterward.

So, quite the contrary to your point, it isn't something all people with autism would want to avoid, many see large benefits outside of the typical fun of a theme park and use it as educational therapy. I wouldn't give up my son's yearly trips for the world. WDW is one of the most effective ways we have found to improve his life skills in 7 years of dealing with his autism (and we have tried ALOT of different therapies).
I Have a 17 year old with pdd under autistic spectrum. Six or seven years ago we first took my son to Disneyworld. It was a shaky visit. My son has always been verbal but spoke just three words together at the most. Long story short I have to say that my son made major progress every year (school, speaking more clearly even sentences, and changed eating habits- he now eats more variety than his brothers!) we would return from Disney. He lives every day for Disney and asks me everyday in his own way if we are going "Disneyworld MAY 2014". And as long as we can afford it I will do everything possible to make sure that his "dreams come true". And if there is anyone out there considering their first trip to Disney but are afraid.....I say go for it. The magic of Disney does unbelievable things to a heart......

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I think the key issue with this whole thread is the term "abuse"...

Obviously, those who utilized the system do not see it as "abuse", with rare exceptions.

No one wants be "abuse" a system, or anything really...because "abuse" is negative...it's bad.

The issue really is entitlement.

The new system asks nothing more stresses than a regular park goer experiences, AT WORST.

And yet, it's demonized, misrepresented, and sold by those who claim they had no "benefits" for years as being a gross move to steal their "rights", and "ruin their magic".

Take the lady that has come up in this thread a lot. She ignores her kid, markets her kid, and Disney offers her FPs as compensation for her (probably to make her go away for the time being, just like I would give tokens to ladies who complained to me)...

And what does she do? She complains it wasn't enough.

Ok, well, I'll challenge you all, if there is such a huge market for disabled kids (and adults) for a universal experience theme park...build one. You'll make a mint.

Otherwise, there are things that some people can do that others can't, for whatever reason. I'm sorry, that's life.

Magic is what you want it to be, not what "benefits"...er...I'm sorry..."accommodations" you are given.

luv

You may be very right here! You don't wear a tin foil hat. The only people that are getting the wristbands at WDW are the Hotel Guests at the richest hotels. The value hotels don't get them. And ONLY the hotel guests can get them. If they have a friend who isn't staying at the hotels they can't have one. hmmmmm.......
I think the Value hotels are getting them. :)

I also think (might as well go whole hog for my Tin Foil Crown) that Disney will not be offering up wristbands to people who don't stay in their hotels. Lots of people (people who are better informed than I am) disagree and they could totally be right. But that's what I think will happen. If they're lucky, offsite guests will be able to purchase the wristband and FPP features.

Gotta get my Reynolds Wrap out now. The aliens are coming! ;) :)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
You may be very right here! You don't wear a tin foil hat. The only people that are getting the wristbands at WDW are the Hotel Guests at the richest hotels. The value hotels don't get them. And ONLY the hotel guests can get them. If they have a friend who isn't staying at the hotels they can't have one. hmmmmm.......
Um...they were testing at the value resorts recently, as I recall. Also, the bands offer nothing more than the RFID chipped KTTW cards you get at the value resorts (otherwise the whole system breaks) other than Disney being able to track you in the parks.

Thanks for playing, try again.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I'm staying at All Star and got Magic Bands. In fact GF was one of the last resorts to get MB and FP+

englanddg

One Little Spark...
They are telling the passholders that they will soon be able to get the wristbands and plan the day at WDW on the computer including FP. They are still working out the bugs I am sure.
Your prior posts contradict this analysis, according to you.

luv

black-guy-star-trek-facepalm-gif.gif
What is that? Who is that guy? He's so familiar. I know that I know who he is and liked him in whatever I saw.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The amusing thing about ignore is that...you won't see my posts, but I'll see and respond to yours.

Hence why I don't use it. As, I like to actually have discussions and debates, rather than post platitudes and half truths.

So, if I'm wrong, I like to be told I'm wrong, so I can learn and re-evaluate my position, or correct my argument if I made it poorly. Rather than relying on an "ignore" feature to feed my ego.

Or if I'm right, I want the chance to make the correct arguement because I assume that the person I'm chatting with wants to make a valid and and has rightful intent, and has a solid case to make, but I disagree.

But, it's your choice. Go ahead...ignore away. While your at it (if you have read any of the GAS / DAC threads, ignore pretty much everyone else as well...as I'm not going to be the first or last person to disagree with your conclusions.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The amusing thing about ignore is that...you won't see my posts, but I'll see and respond to yours.

Hence why I don't use it. As, I like to actually have discussions and debates, rather than post platitudes and half truths.

So, if I'm wrong, I like to be told I'm wrong, so I can learn and re-evaluate my position, or my argument if I made it poorly. Rather than relying on an "ignore" feature to feed my ego.

Or if I'm right, I want the chance to make the correct arguement because I assume that the person I'm chatting with wants to make a valid and rightful intent, and has a solid case to make, but I disagree.

But, it's your choice. Go ahead...ignore away. While your at it (if you have read any of the GAS / DAC threads, ignore pretty much everyone else as well...as I'm not going to be the first or last person to disagree with your conclusions.

You are wrong about Legoland. If I could cram myself into those coasters you coulda fit too. I had bruises on my legs that took months to go away, but it was worth it.:cool:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
You are wrong about Legoland. If I could cram myself into those coasters you coulda fit too. I had bruises on my legs that took months to go away, but it was worth it.:cool:
I am not 300 lbs, I'm 200...and I fit in all the rides (though many were quite snug)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom