Future World's Future Not Bright????

speck76

Empress Room said:
JH Media (yes, that JH) posted an article today that there isn't any "good news" to report about Epcot in general and Future World in particular based on new "rumors" JH has discovered.

Essentially, JH reaches this conclusion because of the "new" rumors that: 1)Siemens has decided not to build a time racers/thrill ride in Spaceship Earth in favor of updating the current attraction's last twelve show scenes because the ride is classic; 2) TLS' makeover is half-completed and the completely re-themed and renovated Seas pavillion will not be open until later in 2006; and 3) there are plans either to re-theme WOL's attractions to a Pixar-based pavillion or tear it down in favor of a new, expensive M:S or TT type attraction.

Now maybe I'm missing something, but how does the above translate into bad news or lack of love for Epcot/Future World? Not that any of the above "rumors" are all that new or groundbreaking, but I simply don't see how Disney's and Siemen's commitment to renovate and restore a classic attraction, complete the renovation of another pavillion in 2006 and finally take definitive steps to address the fate and future of another antiquated and seasonal pavillion is at all "bad news." Do you?

Any thoughts?

The article appears at:

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/article.php?id=1756

Because many people can not handle change....they would prefer Epcot looks the same way it did in 1982....sans the visitors.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Skylor said:
Nothing at Epcot is worth doing more than once. (Except for the fireworks. That's about it.)
Let's see..I bet you're an IOA type of guy. I bet you just love rollercoasters !:rolleyes:

dxwwf3

Really there's only 3 coasters at IOA. Most amusement parks have more than that. But, IMO, IOA is much, much more than just a simple amusement park. I have grown somewhat tired of going there every year, and I won't be back on Universal property for at least 3 or 4 years, but I still like IOA (and to a lesser extent USF) just fine. Nowhere near Disney, but good on their own terms.

sgmco

speck76 said:
Because many people can not handle change....they would prefer Epcot looks the same way it did in 1982....sans the visitors.

I think you mean that people want it to look like what "designers in 1965 imagined life would be like in 1987".;)

SSE-I like an attraction that allows you to just sit and vegitate for a few minutes in a semi-air conditioned building. UoE is perfect for that, too. It could use an update. I'm getting really tired of hearing that lullabye that the (Grand?)mother sings to the child.

WOL--Tear it down, don't convert it into "Pixarland", like they're doing to DCA. Personally, I'd love to see them do a Weather pavillion, allowing people to track weather across the globe, and they could also import StormRider from TDS.

Just my 2 cents.

DizWhizKid

sgmco said:
I think you mean that people want it to look like what "designers in 1965 imagined life would be like in 1987".;)

SSE-I like an attraction that allows you to just sit and vegitate for a few minutes in a semi-air conditioned building. UoE is perfect for that, too. It could use an update. I'm getting really tired of hearing that lullabye that the (Grand?)mother sings to the child.

WOL--Tear it down, don't convert it into "Pixarland", like they're doing to DCA. Personally, I'd love to see them do a Weather pavillion, allowing people to track weather across the globe, and they could also import StormRider from TDS.

Just my 2 cents.

I liked your post until that 2nd-to-last sentence. They need to stop the importing of attractions from one park to another! Let the things that makes one park unique stay unique about that park!

I think the Weather idea wouldn't be bad, but I also think they can keep the Human Body theme of WoL, but with a whole new pavillion (kind of like Test Track kept the transportaion theme of World of Motion). Keep the multi-attraction idea going, maybe with a multi-storied thrill-ride that would keep guests riding again and again (kind of a choose-your-own-adventure type ride, maybe in a smaller simulator). I'm sure there's plenty of healthcare/pharmesutical companies out there who would want to sponsor a pavillion like that.

Come to think of it, I'm going to go design it right now :drevil:

markc

DizWhizKid said:
I liked your post until that 2nd-to-last sentence. They need to stop the importing of attractions from one park to another! Let the things that makes one park unique stay unique about that park!

I can understand that mentality regarding things from Disneyland coming to Walt Disney World, however is it really such a bad thing that something from Tokyo is imported into Disney World? I'd venture to guess that 98% of all visitors to Disney World will never make it to Japan, let alone Tokyo Disneyland, so why would an import of a well themed and well done attraction be such a bad thing?

EpcotMark

My reply to Jim

Jim,

Where do you get your information from? I work at EPCOT and the reason that Spaceship Earth is not being renovated is because with the exception of the ride vehicles being a bit bumpy, its the most visited attraction at Walt Disney World. Its message of communication being the beginning of understanding is more important than any thrill ride simply made to satisfy the needs of corporate short term interests sukcing up to the sump pump of commercial capitalism! Spaceship Earth's theme is of paramount importance in this day and age of sorrow and uncertainty. In the past, Disney has learned its lesson when trying to replace dated attractions. Just look at the cacophony and disruption that was caused by the departure of Figment in 1998. I hope TEAM Disney has learned the lessons from that by now. B) A thrill ride in Spaceship was investigated a long time ago and it met a slow agonizing death in part because the structure cannot support such an idea physically. I know this because my grandfather's company, Manitowoc Cranes, were used in building the sphere back in the early 80s.
I'm very curious where you get this information from. Feel free to share with me, a student of communication who just happens to work at EPCOT.

M

wannab@dis

DizWhizKid said:

I also can't believe they keep importing and cloning all these attractions. It's a shame and Walt would not like it... Oh, wait a sec... that's right! Walt was the one that started a brand new park and imported the vast majority of the attractions from DL to WDW. So, I guess we know "what Walt would do"... he'd clone attractions from one park to another. :wave:

FYI... You'll never convince me (and probably many others) that cloning is a bad idea. It's the best way to invest in R&D while keeping capital expenditures as low as possible. It's a win-win situation for the guests and shareholders.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
wannab@dis said:
IFYI... You'll never convince me (and probably many others) that cloning is a bad idea. It's the best way to invest in R&D while keeping capital expenditures as low as possible. It's a win-win situation for the guests and shareholders.
I definitely agree. There is little to no chance of me making it to France, China or Japan .... even California is a stretch. So bring on the clones!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Epcot82Guy said:
Hey now. You can absolutely LOVE rollercoasters and not like IOA. Trust me! :wave:
i think he was just setting a stereotypical profile....... i like coasters, and love Epcot :D

Master Yoda said:
I definitely agree. There is little to no chance of me making it to France, China or Japan .... even California is a stretch. So bring on the clones!
i completely agree..... i dont see those countries in my travel plans in the near future, and if i did get to go to France, China, or Japan, (once in a lifetime) it would be hard to justify going to a Disney park rather then seeing the country that your visiting. so yes, bring on the clones for poor people that cant travel the world to ride Disney attractions. lol

DizWhizKid

wannab@dis said:
I also can't believe they keep importing and cloning all these attractions. It's a shame and Walt would not like it... Oh, wait a sec... that's right! Walt was the one that started a brand new park and imported the vast majority of the attractions from DL to WDW. So, I guess we know "what Walt would do"... he'd clone attractions from one park to another. :wave:

While Walt wanted to make a similar Magic Kingdom in Florida, his original plans were to have things be somewhat different (different character-themed dark-rides in Fantasyland, etc.). It was ROY, after Walt died, who said "Make it exactly like Disneyland." And this has been the fundamental problem with the Disney company since Walt's passing. Instead of trying new and innovative things, like Walt Would Do, they instead focused on what Walt Did, replicating those things with very little innovation. Remember, Walt's original plan for EPCOT was to be a city of the future, where people would live and work (don't get me wrong, EPCOT is still the most beautiful, wonderful, and unique theme park in the world, but that's still what it is: A THEME PARK). It's hard to know what Walt would do now, since he only managed one theme park, but I would like to think he'd work hard to make each one uniquely different, and pour money into making sure NEW attractions stood out for their innovativeness.

That said, I probably won't go to Tokyo anytime soon, and I would like to see what StormRider is like. However, as a CM, I know that guests who come to Epcot from California don't ride Soarin' as much because "they've already done it" at DCA, and it's not worth braving two-hour lines for. It's not a big deal now, because only one attraction at Epcot is the same as anywhere else (well, unless you count the Body Wars/Star Tours similarities, but BW's closed for now anyways). I'm just saying it could become a dangerous trend.

jasondiff

Did anyone catch the statement that they are extending the seacabs track by 100 feet? When was the last time they EXTENDED or ADDED a new omnimover ride at WDW? It's been quite a while. Buzz was just a redo over the same track; Journey they actually shortened the track.

This is good news to those who like the omnimover rides!

joel_maxwell

jasondiff said:
Did anyone catch the statement that they are extending the seacabs track by 100 feet? When was the last time they EXTENDED or ADDED a new omnimover ride at WDW? It's been quite a while. Buzz was just a redo over the same track; Journey they actually shortened the track.

This is good news to those who like the omnimover rides!
yeh, not to discredit what you said ^ or what has been reported..... but im not getting my hopes up to just be dissapointed. Im going to go by the "Ill believe it when i see trip reports pictures"..... since i cant get down there myself in early/mid 06

wannab@dis

DizWhizKid said:
While Walt wanted to make a similar Magic Kingdom in Florida, his original plans were to have things be somewhat different (different character-themed dark-rides in Fantasyland, etc.). It was ROY, after Walt died, who said "Make it exactly like Disneyland." And this has been the fundamental problem with the Disney company since Walt's passing. Instead of trying new and innovative things, like Walt Would Do, they instead focused on what Walt Did, replicating those things with very little innovation. Remember, Walt's original plan for EPCOT was to be a city of the future, where people would live and work (don't get me wrong, EPCOT is still the most beautiful, wonderful, and unique theme park in the world, but that's still what it is: A THEME PARK). It's hard to know what Walt would do now, since he only managed one theme park, but I would like to think he'd work hard to make each one uniquely different, and pour money into making sure NEW attractions stood out for their innovativeness.

That said, I probably won't go to Tokyo anytime soon, and I would like to see what StormRider is like. However, as a CM, I know that guests who come to Epcot from California don't ride Soarin' as much because "they've already done it" at DCA, and it's not worth braving two-hour lines for. It's not a big deal now, because only one attraction at Epcot is the same as anywhere else (well, unless you count the Body Wars/Star Tours similarities, but BW's closed for now anyways). I'm just saying it could become a dangerous trend.
Not sure I agree... but I'll have to do some research to get the facts. From what I understand, the actual plans for WDW included many of the same lands and attractions from DL. These plans were drawn up by Walt based on his vision of the project. His main goal was to have "DL" in Florida where it was not confined by space nor encircled by the neon districts. EPCOT was "phase 2" of the project.

I'll see what I can find out, but I believe you are incorrect in the "blaming" of Roy for the attraction clones. :wave:

nibblesandbits

wannab@dis said:
Not sure I agree... but I'll have to do some research to get the facts. From what I understand, the actual plans for WDW included many of the same lands and attractions from DL. These plans were drawn up by Walt based on his vision of the project. His main goal was to have "DL" in Florida where it was not confined by space nor encircled by the neon districts. EPCOT was "phase 2" of the project.

I'll see what I can find out, but I believe you are incorrect in the "blaming" of Roy for the attraction clones. :wave:
I believe that you are right...I was just listening to a podcast on Mousetunes.com and they interviewed an imagineer who if I remember correctly said that Walt did want to clone some rides in Disney World...however, I do believe that he wanted to change them around a little and not be exact clones but very, very similar. Ex. rides like HM and POTC...which were the two rides that this imagineer discussed.

joel_maxwell

Skylor said:
Actually I hate IOA. And, Epcot is my fav. park.
pssss.... Skylor, change your profile "favorite park"...... :p

nibblesandbits said:
Ex. rides like HM and POTC...which were the two rides that this imagineer discussed.
yep.... but the difference (like you stated the imagineer said) a little difference is really noticed. especially in the POTC wdw version. oh well, guess ill have to go to DL one day

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom