News Future World confirmed to be split into 3 neighborhoods

Ponderer

Not entirely disagreeing. Just feel they should have done it correctly and rebranded. Leaving it named Epcot is nearly blasphemous.

The rotting corpse is being killed by the same executives that had a choice to save it.

Ever calling the park Epcot in the first place was blasphemous, so who cares? It literally had nothing to do with Walt’s Logan’s Run city dome except a few general wishful characteristics. It’s a name that means nothing, so as have zero problem keeping it in any iteration.

Fairsky

Overall, I applaud what they’ve decided to do with Epcot. While Future World is officially dead (and let’s be honest, it’s been dead for years), the essence of Epcot remains. As a permanent world’s fair, the park was always meant to be focused on human innovation (future world), and civilization (world showcase). The new Epcot continues the focus on humanity, culture, civilization, and discovery while dropping the future-focus.

BoarderPhreak

Am I calling it the wrong thing? I guess it is the Innoventions Area Music Loop that I am concerned about...
Ahh, the music. I would think it's a thing of the past once the new changes are in place, if not sooner.

On a related note, they used to play a lot of old loops in The Electric Umbrella, which sadly, is also going away.

One could hope there's still a place where old loops can go to die; an homage if you will. Perhaps out front by the new old fountain.

KBLovedDisney

Only thing for me is the names. They sound clunky with "World" in front of them. Why don't we just drop World so you will have Nature instead World Nature, and Showcase, Discovery, and Celebration?

IMHO, I think that sounds better.

But not a deal breaker.

BoarderPhreak

Only thing for me is the names. They sound clunky with "World" in front of them. Why don't we just drop World so you will have Nature instead World Nature, and Showcase, Discovery, and Celebration?

IMHO, I think that sounds better.

But not a deal breaker.
I think it's more to line up with the existing World Showcase. Though I might agree that ditching the World part of the names flows better. Also quite possible these aren't the final name(s).

JohnD

Honestly, if the front half of Epcot comes to fruition with World Discovery/Celebration/Nature as advertised... I'd be pretty chuffed. I didn't think I could say that, as big a fan as I am of the original EPCOT Center. But there comes a point when resting (and hoping) on nostalgia becomes a lost cause. I'd love to see Future World reborn, but does anyone really see that ever happening? Technology isn't this new, shiny thing that it was back in the 80s (sadly) and trying to update (and keep updated) such an experience just doesn't really work anymore.

Epcot is becoming a sort of "grown up" park; a sort of World's Fair for the ages. With the back half of the park being World Showcase, the redesign makes a lot of sense and will bring cohesiveness back to the park in a big way. Clearly festivals will be a big part of that (and honestly, they're a cash cow).

As I've said before, anything would be an improvement over "Future World" as it exists today. A bit of a shame that we're departing from the original concept but this is a way forward that works.

Becoming a grown up park, “worlds fair for the ages? That was always the intent. Go to Trip Planning when posters ask which park to take kids. Epcot is likely to be mentioned last. It’s the butt of jokes as the “boring” park. See Simpson’s parody of Homer trying to scale the “EFCOT” wall to get to MK and is caught.

The front half is less of a redesign and more of a re-clarification just telling you what each part of what Future World already is.

BoarderPhreak

Becoming a grown up park, “worlds fair for the ages? That was always the intent...
Of course. But there's a difference between "intent" (expectations) and reality. A World's Fair, as defined:

A world's fair or world fair is a large international exhibition designed to showcase achievements of nations. These exhibitions vary in character and are held in different parts of the world at a specific site for a period of time, ranging usually from three to six months.

The problem is, a) world's fairs happen regularly, to be updated as achievements are; the corollary that EPCOT Center never truly was (the two drifted farther and farther apart as time went on), b) EPCOT Center was divided into two vastly different sections instead of as one "world's fair" separating achievements and nations, and c) EPCOT itself, as the name implies, was something else entirely in its inception, as we all know.

ChillSeaker

This was never Walt's park. So, it's not like you're removing his spirit.
You are right. This was never what Walt wanted, but it was as close as the Imagineers could get in the late 70's early 80's. They are totally turning their back on the concepts of EPCOT now. We all know chasing the future is expensive. The dedication of the park is:

"To all who come to this place of joy, hope and friendship, welcome.
Epcot is inspired by Walt Disney's creative vision. Here, human achievements are celebrated through imagination, wonders of enterprise and concepts of a future that promises new and exciting benefits for all.
May EPCOT Center entertain, inform and inspire and above all, may it instill a new sense of belief and pride in man's ability to shape a world that offers hope to people everywhere."
— E. Cardon Walker, October 24, 1982

Perhaps they can update it to:
"To all who bring their cash and credit cards welcome.
EPCOT is a place for the placement and monetization of Disney Intellectual Property, so that we can squeeze every last cent out of you.
The future was too expensive so we came up with a bunch of new names to try to tie the place together with World Showcase, in the hope that it will be a source of year round festival revenue to people who like overpriced samplers."
-Bob "The IP King" Chapek, 2019

Bocabear

Rather than tearing down half of the park and pouring hundreds of millions of dollars into all new hardscape and infrastructure, couldn't they have fixed the park by just adding a new attraction (RE Ride) to each of the existing countries without one, and updating the Imagination pavilion? It seems like and awful lot of building is going on that seems almost unnecessary when the real complaint of the park is a lack of attractions... The tabletop building while very cool adds virtually nothing...a water play area is not going to suddenly make the park more appealing to families... it needs more.
Innoventions could have been redesigned to properly become the Festival center, Fountain Of Nations could have moved to the dead center of the plaza as opposed to creating a choke point....which would have opened the central plaza up...
The side path to The Living Seas and interactive water feature could have been added along with all the other landscape features without tearing all the buildings down... Is it just that they have to tear it all down to prove to people that there are new things?
I love new stuff...I want to like this but it all seems so wasteful without addressing the lack of attractions and updates.

Horizons1

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom