News Future World confirmed to be split into 3 neighborhoods

Missing20K

Based on how they've been naming things.

"Walt Disney World's Park of the World: Celebration, Nature, Discovery and Showcase; Adventures for the Entire Family based on Beloved Disney Characters"

Might be tough to fit on a pin.
I got a laughing face emoji from @George!! In his honor I will quote another, less famous George.
giphy.gif

DanielBB8

Why does the "Future" automatically mean "Technology"?
What else could it be? Mission Statement "To all who come to this place of joy, hope and friendship, welcome. Epcot is inspired by Walt Disney's creative vision. Here, human achievements are celebrated through imagination, wonders of enterprise and concepts of a future that promises new and exciting benefits for all."

Missing20K

What else could it be? Mission Statement "To all who come to this place of joy, hope and friendship, welcome. Epcot is inspired by Walt Disney's creative vision. Here, human achievements are celebrated through imagination, wonders of enterprise and concepts of a future that promises new and exciting benefits for all."
The question was a bit rhetorical (an oxymoron if there ever was one when posting to an internet forum) but I suppose some clarification is in order.

I believe, and hope, that new and exciting benefits of the future may come in forms other than just the evolution of technology. Perhaps such ideas as the cooperation of humans to solve problems, using the past as a historical lens in which to view the future and it's possibilities, minimizing the societal mistakes of the past in order to create a better future. All ideas that Future World touched upon in various aspects. Granted, some better than others (looking at you Exxon Universe of Oil).

Mostly, I feel that the technology aspect of the original EPCOT Center was used as a framework in which to view humanity's past, present and future; a means to an end, not the end itself.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
You are right. This was never what Walt wanted, but it was as close as the Imagineers could get in the late 70's early 80's. They are totally turning their back on the concepts of EPCOT now. We all know chasing the future is expensive. The dedication of the park is:

"To all who come to this place of joy, hope and friendship, welcome.
Epcot is inspired by Walt Disney's creative vision. Here, human achievements are celebrated through imagination, wonders of enterprise and concepts of a future that promises new and exciting benefits for all.
May EPCOT Center entertain, inform and inspire and above all, may it instill a new sense of belief and pride in man's ability to shape a world that offers hope to people everywhere."
— E. Cardon Walker, October 24, 1982

Perhaps they can update it to:
"To all who bring their cash and credit cards welcome.
EPCOT is a place for the placement and monetization of Disney Intellectual Property, so that we can squeeze every last cent out of you.
The future was too expensive so we came up with a bunch of new names to try to tie the place together with World Showcase, in the hope that it will be a source of year round festival revenue to people who like overpriced samplers."
-Bob "The IP King" Chapek, 2019

I had written something similar many, many moons ago but never posted:

IPCOT is now inspired by Disney's IP. Here, Bob Iger's acquisitions are celebrated through rides and attractions, plus alcohol sales and Bob Chapek's synergistic merchandising opportunities, that promise new and exciting benefits for all shareholders and executives.
May IPCOT entertain, thrill for short periods of time, and, above all, may it inebriate customers and suck more and more money from their wallets throughout the year.

DanielBB8

The question was a bit rhetorical (an oxymoron if there ever was one when posting to an internet forum) but I suppose some clarification is in order.

I believe, and hope, that new and exciting benefits of the future may come in forms other than just the evolution of technology. Perhaps such ideas as the cooperation of humans to solve problems, using the past as a historical lens in which to view the future and it's possibilities, minimizing the societal mistakes of the past in order to create a better future. All ideas that Future World touched upon in various aspects. Granted, some better than others (looking at you Exxon Universe of Oil).

Mostly, I feel that the technology aspect of the original EPCOT Center was used as a framework in which to view humanity's past, present and future; a means to an end, not the end itself.
Then it can be argued that moving away from Future World is the best thing they can do to open up new avenues of possibilities. Sort of.

Ponderer

I had written something similar many, many moons ago but never posted:

IPCOT is now inspired by Disney's IP. Here, Bob Iger's acquisitions are celebrated through rides and attractions, plus alcohol sales and Bob Chapek's synergistic merchandising opportunities, that promise new and exciting benefits for all shareholders and executives.
May IPCOT entertain, thrill for short periods of time, and, above all, may it inebriate customers and suck more and more money from their wallets throughout the year.

I love how IP is horrible in Epcot, but you run into a buzzsaw of non-park IP in Disneyland from Dumbo to Davy Crockett and it’s always been “charming,” certainly not an excuse to sell Mickey Mouse hats and raccoon caps.

As I mentioned elsewhere, Disneyland opened with a BRA SHOP on Main Street. So come on.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I love how IP is horrible in Epcot, but you run into a buzzsaw of non-park IP in Disneyland from Dumbo to Davy Crockett and it’s always been “charming,” certainly not an excuse to sell Mickey Mouse hats and raccoon caps.

As I mentioned elsewhere, Disneyland opened with a BRA SHOP on Main Street. So come on.

There's a way to make IP fit into a park and have it work well. Unfortunately, the Iger/Chapek solution looks something like this:

Ponderer

There's a way to make IP fit into a park and have it work well. Unfortunately, the Iger/Chapek solution looks something like this:

View attachment 402200

I think BotB is innocuous and silly and the jury is out on Guardians, but I have no problem with other touches like a water pathway “inspired by” Moana and things like that.

Weirdly, I think HarmoniUS is less on-the-nose than Epcot Forever, of which people seem to like the concept but is also a giant Epcot ad.

JohnD

I think BotB is innocuous and silly and the jury is out on Guardians, but I have no problem with other touches like a water pathway “inspired by” Moana and things like that.

Weirdly, I think HarmoniUS is less on-the-nose than Epcot Forever, of which people seem to like the concept but is also a giant Epcot ad.

HarmoniUS just sounds narcissistic. Then over at DL, it's as if someone could be heard saying, "What parade did I just step in to?" And someone says, "Well, magic happens."

flynnibus

Premium Member
If these new neighborhoods are something distinct, new, different and more focused than the “failed” Future World, why are these different attractions being lumped together and identified with Future World icons?

A brute force attempt at invoking nostalgia... same reason the entrance way has the old feature back... same reason they used the old EPCOT art as the basis for their new concept art covering future world...

They are trying to paint it as an evolution... not a reboot.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
A brute force attempt at invoking nostalgia... same reason the entrance way has the old feature back... same reason they used the old EPCOT art as the basis for their new concept art covering future world...

The most egregious and just outright offensive poster is the the "On the brink of a new age October 1, 2019" copying the original 1982 poster, followed closely by the one for Horizons. I cannot properly describe the disgust I have for those posters and whoever approved creation of them.

Ponderer

If these new neighborhoods are something distinct, new, different and more focused than the “failed” Future World, why are these different attractions being lumped together and identified with Future World icons?

No one is saying Future World failed. This new phase of Epcot is an interpretation of what we value most in a modern vision of the future - which still includes discovery, but is also balanced with the environment and community. It’s like, Walt Disney’s plastic house of the future did not represent Epcot’s priorities. Similarly, Epcot’s 1982 tech-forward vision isn’t as relevant when we are absolutely inundated by runaway tech, and many of us are trying to find a better balance with our technology and our planet.

The future hasn’t gone away in the park, but it is being redefined and it’s entirely appropriate to see that reflected with this round of Epcot changes.

JohnD

They aren’t. It’s just more overt naming. The west side was always intended to represent the earth or whatever. The east side, technology, space. You know those horrible paint jobs on either side of innoventions? Green on the west side and blue on the east side. That’s what they were.

So now they have dropped all pretense of both sides of Future World and have named each side exactly what they are. As for the center, “Celebration” will do.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
While I agree with probably 70% of the complaints here, if not more, the fact is that Future World is 3/9ths empty and honestly if you count the Innoventions pavilion that’s still “open” it’s 4/9ths empty. It’s such a bummer to go right now.

Fairsky

Well said. Here’s the question: Would you rather have a straight-up reboot of EPCOT with a completely new theme, design, and focus? OR Would you rather have a covert reboot of EPCOT that retains nostalgic touches like icons, logos, entrance fountain, etc?

FWIW, I appreciate the touches of nostalgia.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom