Future Star Wars Story movies put on hold thanks to SOLO

erasure fan1

Absolutely...

Either:
A. Someone has no idea what the vision should be and is grasping (unsuccessfully)
B. They aren’t strong enough to sell the right vision to Disney coorporate

Either way...the response action is easy/obvious.
Well I'm putting my money on this is the start of some Lucasfilm restructuring. I think they bring in a creative and let Kennedy be more operational. I think your A. point is the right one. You can't really sell a vision that isn't there. And we know there was no vision just based on what all the people making the movies have said.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well I'm putting my money on this is the start of some Lucasfilm restructuring. I think they bring in a creative and let Kennedy be more operational. I think your A. point is the right one. You can't really sell a vision that isn't there. And we know there was no vision just based on what all the people making the movies have said.
...also what the key character in the entire 100 billion dollar licensed enterprise said repeatedly last year before a forced redaction. There are spliced YouTube clips where it’s pounded over and over again.

I think Kennedy should be fired for this: to send a message that mediocre for Star Wars is over...and that massive reductions at the box office and movies failing to cover their budgets won’t be tolerated.

At a minimum ...publically kill the Johnson plan...that’s DOA no matter what now...enough people hate him.

Anyone notice how rick Mcallum “retired” the day after disney bought Lucas??

...you do what has to be done to try to mend the bridge.

Disney took all that pent up Lucas angst and did an abrams reboot and sucked up about a billion in box office good will. You can’t live off mulligans.

Better start making movies that have kids jumping up and down - and their parents. Don’t care if they’re girls, boys, Cylon...whatever.

Damage control time.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Your last post had me, but this one is a tad off the deep end.

I think the Memorial Day weekend release hurt the movie, and there just wasn’t as much hype for Solo as the others.. mostly due to lack of advertising.

That is the corporate hinted excuse and it’s one of the worst smoke screens ever.

Star Wars is currently unappealing...it’s not one thing...but that debaucle last year is a big one of those things. It’s a obvious as something abstract is ever going to be.

People are tired of Star Wars...the hardcores are tired of bad/mediocre Star Wars and the rest of the audience has little attention span for that either.

It has to be good and it hasn’t been.

The “too soon...bad pub” excuse reminded me of when they said “the next movies will make phantom menance better....”

Nope. That was and is an awful movie. And solo really wasn’t. The truth is often 180 degrees from the company line in Hollywood.

ppete1975

I'm tired of star wars getting the whole lgbt equality bs. Ever hear of carrie fisher? billy dee Williams? Incest? (wait that last one was Lucas not thinking ahead). Why did star wars have to push the boundaries on this and prove that everyone is equal. That is what I hear from several people that star wars needs to have every color gender and sexual preference as part of the story. The had women in strong positions as intelligent, political, fighting leaders. They had billy dee being awesome. That was 1977 and 1980.
Heres the thing people aren't equal.. in the real world and in star wars. Some people are tall, some people are strong, some people are fast some people have more Midi-chlorians. Not everyone has the force.
Rian Johnson wanted to make a daring movie that you didn't know where it was going.. Sorry this is the wrong movie.. save that for a one off movie, not a movie that has an established feel.
Rian: the fans think I'm going to do this.. I'm going to tease it to the last second then bam SURPRISE (disappointing surprise at that)
luke not being a badass... in 7 or 8
the best star wars scene in 8 is a deleted scene where he tells rey the caretakers are being slaughtered (that felt like star wars)
jj gave us cliff hangers and story points to be excited for... Rian made fun of you for caring about them (and ended the storylines)
there is no reason for episode 9.. no one is in peril
here is a trilogy plan....
episode one... introduction.. here are you characters this is why you care
episode two: heroes are in peril.. bad guys are kicking their butts
episode three: after lots of struggle good guys win
you go home happy....
that's every trilogy

I'm tired of all of the millennial crap. We have to have x character in the movie because of international movie money, or to show equality. I don't care if you are purple and asexual.. if your part matters, you are a good actor, and have a good script... sorry rose and finn.... (btw this is the only thing I have seen rose in so I'm only basing it off of this movie... I thought she was a bad actress.... finn.... liked him a lot in 7 .. didn't like the script for him in 8

who are your bad guys? kylo.. give me a break
phasma.. snoke... dead.. or are they? this is star wars... snoke might be another body or a projection

I wasn't excited about a solo story... but I loved it
I wasn't excited about rogue one... loved it
I was way too excited for 8.. hated it

I don't think star wars or Disney is the issue... I think rian Johnson with no oversite and no one saying.. this isn't star wars

So its all up to JJ... too bad they didn't give him all 3 episodes to tell his story

Ellen Ripley

I'm tired of star wars getting the whole lgbt equality bs. Ever hear of carrie fisher? billy dee Williams? Incest? (wait that last one was Lucas not thinking ahead). Why did star wars have to push the boundaries on this and prove that everyone is equal. That is what I hear from several people that star wars needs to have every color gender and sexual preference as part of the story. The had women in strong positions as intelligent, political, fighting leaders. They had billy dee being awesome. That was 1977 and 1980.
Heres the thing people aren't equal.. in the real world and in star wars. Some people are tall, some people are strong, some people are fast some people have more Midi-chlorians. Not everyone has the force.
Rian Johnson wanted to make a daring movie that you didn't know where it was going.. Sorry this is the wrong movie.. save that for a one off movie, not a movie that has an established feel.
Rian: the fans think I'm going to do this.. I'm going to tease it to the last second then bam SURPRISE (disappointing surprise at that)
the best star wars scene in 8 is a deleted scene where he tells rey the caretakers are being slaughtered (that felt like star wars)
jj gave us cliff hangers and story points to be excited for... Rian made fun of you for caring about them (and ended the storylines)
you go home happy....
that's every trilogy

I'm tired of all of the millennial crap. We have to have x character in the movie because of international movie money, or to show equality. I don't care if you are purple and asexual.. if your part matters, you are a good actor, and have a good script... sorry rose and finn.... (btw this is the only thing I have seen rose in so I'm only basing it off of this movie... I thought she was a bad actress.... finn.... liked him a lot in 7 .. didn't like the script for him in 8

phasma.. snoke... dead.. or are they? this is star wars... snoke might be another body or a projection

I don't think star wars or Disney is the issue... I think rian Johnson with no oversite and no one saying.. this isn't star wars

So its all up to JJ... too bad they didn't give him all 3 episodes to tell his story

they had one woman and one black man... and Lucas put Leia in a skimpy outfit and made her a sex slave right? and Lando was kind of a villain in Empire... literally every other major character was male and white. OK cool in the prequels they made Jango and Boba brown people, you know villains. Then we got one Black male jedi with a speaking role (none of the lady jedi had speaking roles in the prequels) (yes i know clone wars animated series, great series, but it's for the hardcore fan). I love Star Wars, but it was so male and white, that they are just trying to put some other different people in there too... because the world we live in is diverse, and Star Wars is now trying to more accurately express that fact.

champdisney

they had one woman and one black man... and Lucas put Leia in a skimpy outfit and made her a sex slave right? and Lando was kind of a villain in Empire... literally every other major character was male and white. OK cool in the prequels they made Jango and Boba brown people, you know villains. Then we got one Black male jedi with a speaking role (none of the lady jedi had speaking roles in the prequels) (yes i know clone wars animated series, great series, but it's for the hardcore fan). I love Star Wars, but it was so male and white, that they are just trying to put some other different people in there too... because the world we live in is diverse, and Star Wars is now trying to more accurately express that fact.
What about Quarsh Panaka, Captain of the Royal Naboo Security Forces? You know that one black guy who was always front and center, sticking his neck out to protect the Queen? Or the little Indian boy that was Anakin’s friend back in Tatooine? There’s more... but quite frankly this conversation is getting way too old and tiresome.

UncleMike101

Nothing makes my eyes roll backwards more than when someone joins in on a conversation but didn’t take the time to read prior posts. Again, Star Wars doesn’t need to accurately express anything but focus on making good stories!
Yup......
The original Star wars was nothing more than a Saturday matinee western that every movie house in the country used to show.
Lucas said that at the outset.
The rolling opening dialogue was a direct copy of some of those shows and was used to heighten the expectations of the audience..
Star Wars was pure good vs evil escapist entertainment with the usual mix of characters whom you either loved or hated according to their heroic or villainous traits.
If they don't return to that successful format the franchise will be flushed into the sewer by its lost audiences and fade from the entertainment scene.
Too bad.........
It was a promising enterprise until the new owners turned it into a SJW platform.

UncleMike101

It also had political messages throughout.

If you’re mad about a slightly more diverse cast: grow up. This is the world now.
Well......
My son is your age kid, so you can't tell me anything about growing up.
And I'm not the least bit upset about diversity today.
My Wife, my Children, and my Grandchildren, are card carrying Native Americans.
My Son in Law is Puerto Rican and his two Puerto Rican children by my Daughter are the loves of my life.
I have a Foster Daughter, whom I love as if she were my own flesh and blood, who is gay.
And I don't give a rat's behind about the makeup of the Star Wars universe.
I'm saying that the current trend to preach Social Justice to movie goers is a recipe for disaster at the box office.
If people want to hear how they should live, whom they should be tolerant of, or who makes up the forces of evil in the World today they can go to their house of worship every week and get their fill of such preachings for a lot less money than a trip to a theater costs.

RandySavage

Since we've waded into the discussion of race, casting & Star Wars...

One thing that I found quite noticeable is that in the Originals and Rogue One the Empire's military is made up completely of white men. This seemed to a be a conscious casting decision, following the film trope (and actual history) of a stodgy, prejudicial, male-dominated, tyrannical government & military hierarchy (think about how the British or Roman Empires generally portrayed in film). Against this Old Bad Guy Order are set the freedom-seeking Rebels, who are made up of all races, sexes and species. That seems to work.

In the new Saga movies (and Solo), the casting of the Empire/First Order background players and extras is almost as racially and gender diverse as the Rebels. It fits our times, but it clouds the storytelling. It doesn't feel as urgent to rebel against them if they are as progressive in at least some of their social policies as the Resistance. It's like making Modern Germany the villain force in a new war movie, as opposed to WWII Germany.

Tony the Tigger

Well......
My Son in Law is Puerto Rican and his two Puerto Rican children by my Daughter are the loves of my life.
I have a Foster Daughter, whom I love as if she were my own flesh and blood, who is gay.
I'm saying that the current trend to preach Social Justice to movie goers is a recipe for disaster at the box office.
If people want to hear how they should live, whom they should be tolerant of, or who makes up the forces of evil in the World today they can go to their house of worship every week and get their fill of such preachings for a lot less money than a trip to a theater costs.

Are you new?

This has always been an element of moviegoing.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
you go home happy....
that's every trilogy

Abrams is not equal to the task. He did a reboot...and not terribly ingenious at that.

But to your other point: Star Wars was honestly never “broken”...but first Lucas and now Kennedy seem intent on “fixing” it.

Maybe we had to be on the other side to see it? Who knows for sure?

But fisher in 1983 wasn’t a problem...neither was billy Dee...nor was the fact the heroes were waspy males...

It fit - created actually - the archetype for the modern western world movie juggernaut.

And if they had stuck with that...for 20 years now...there would be some percentage of the critics/audience that would be writing pieces in the New Yorker or vanity fair decrying how pig headed and culturally insensitive it is...even though it never was.

It would be a small percentage....so instead now we have this.

No way marvel or Harry Potter should be bigger than Star Wars...that was never possible unless it was the result of sabotage.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well......

I think Star Wars Classic was pure entertainment that reminds us of a “perceived” better day...and many are being shamed unintentionally for having ever thought that.

Things change...it’s hard to apologize for everything.

The prequels were about money...Lucas - for all his bluster - just became a greedy sumofa....

The current debaucle is about Disney’s misguided “globalization” and “sending a message”. I said the other day that classic Star Wars fans have been discarded...and of course, it was anti disney so the pixie dust cavalry didn’t like it...

But it’s clear to me (opinion) that the classic Fan has been discarded. Ripping apart the ethos/pathos of the story isn’t gonna be made up for by building a millennium falcon simulator in a new ambiguous land as a carrot for middle aged men...

Does that answer your question, @Disney Irish Bruh ??

Or is it too veiled/nuanced? 🤓

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Since we've waded into the discussion of race, casting & Star Wars...

One thing that I found quite noticeable is that in the Originals and Rogue One the Empire's military is made up completely of white men. This seemed to a be a conscious casting decision, following the film trope (and actual history) of a stodgy, prejudicial, male-dominated, tyrannical government & military hierarchy (think about how the British or Roman Empires generally portrayed in film). Against this Old Bad Guy Order are set the freedom-seeking Rebels, who are made up of all races, sexes and species. That seems to work.

In the new Saga movies (and Solo), the casting of the Empire/First Order background players and extras is almost as racially and gender diverse as the Rebels. It fits our times, but it clouds the storytelling. It doesn't feel as urgent to rebel against them if they are as progressive in at least some of their social policies as the Resistance. It's like making Modern Germany the villain force in a new war movie, as opposed to WWII Germany.

Excellent...

And I ask: what’s wrong with making white males the bad guys??

They still control about 90% of the power/wealth on earth...so they are still the bad guys - like it or not.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think Star Wars Classic was pure entertainment that reminds us of a “perceived” better day...and many are being shamed unintentionally for having ever thought that.

Things change...it’s hard to apologize for everything.

The prequels were about money...Lucas - for all his bluster - just became a greedy sumofa....

The current debaucle is about Disney’s misguided “globalization” and “sending a message”. I said the other day that classic Star Wars fans have been discarded...and of course, it was anti disney so the pixie dust cavalry didn’t like it...

But it’s clear to me (opinion) that the classic Fan has been discarded. Ripping apart the ethos/pathos of the story isn’t gonna be made up for by building a millennium falcon simulator in a new ambiguous land as a carrot for middle aged men...

Does that answer your question, @Disney Irish Bruh ??

Or is it too veiled/nuanced? 🤓

I'm not sure why you're calling me out in a thread that I have never been a part of.

You're entitled to whatever opinion you choose, doesn't mean you're right just means you have an opinion. If you're opinion is that the new Millennium Falcon attraction in the new SW:GE land provides nothing for middle aged men to get nostalgic about, well you're entitled to that opinion and I never stated otherwise. Again doesn't mean you're correct.

seascape

Excellent...

And I ask: what’s wrong with making white males the bad guys??

They still control about 90% of the power/wealth on earth...so they are still the bad guys - like it or not.
That is a racist sexist comment. To put all white males in a single group when it is actually a small percentage that own 90% of the wealth. It is also the reason politically correct stories don't do as well. Build a story and let the story work don't force politically correct things into a story when they don't belong. As a white Male I loved Black Panther. The story worked.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That is a racist sexist comment. To put all white males in a single group when it is actually a small percentage that own 90% of the wealth. It is also the reason politically correct stories don't do as well. Build a story and let the story work don't force politically correct things into a story when they don't belong. As a white Male I loved Black Panther. The story worked.

It was a bit tongue in cheek...but I’ll alter it to say 5% of the white males are evil...Fair?

I think the greater point is that if you try to cast and write a story according to “checkboxes”...you do so by sacrificing part of the story.

The archetype villains are empire Vader and jedi palpatine - simple, sinister and scheming.

They haven’t gotten close since. Lucas had CGI nonsense with plot holes...and all the Disney villains have been either 5150 or bumbling fools.

Let’s face it: the best villain has been 3 minutes of Vader in rogue one...and that felt like it was forced.

Excellent point about black panther...but I thought killmonger was pretty cardboard. Serkis was much more useful in that movie than as snoke, however.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom