Future Star Wars Story movies put on hold thanks to SOLO

champdisney

Wouldn’t it make more sense to scrap Rian Johnson’s trilogy plans than temporarily canceling out the side stories? The majority of fans who didn’t see Solo, didn’t see it due to their disappointment of TLJ, mixed in with the fact that no one wanted a Solo anthology film. I also wouldn’t want a Boba Fett film but an Obi-Wan story recounting the times he watched over young Luke on Tatooine would be neat. Especially after reading the synopsis last month. Hopefully, they figure out what they’re going to do soon.

champdisney

Why would they scrap that trilogy when The Last Jedi made money hand over fist and has been accepted by the vast majority of people (who may stay silent because they don't take to the Internet like the toxic, butthurt, manbabies?
Regardless of the profits they made from the release, the backlash is what people are actively talking about. Question: Who are the vast majority that you are speaking of? Major publications? The same major publications that can easily misdirect people? I, on the otherhand have heard from regular people whether on their personal blogs or YouTube channels voice their opinions on TLJ. And they range from all kinds of people, men of all races, women of all races, LGBT, etc. To say that the ones who are voicing their opinions online are ‘manbabies’ is totally wrong. Don’t be like Lucasfilm and call out fans online for having an opinion. Like I said, it’s only fair for Rian Johnson’s trilogy to get the boot.

Mmoore29

The vast majority are the audiences that went to see the films, that are quite happy. The reason you don't hear about them is because they don't go to the Internet, because they want to keep their heads down and not get involved in the ugliness. The people that walk and visit everything Star Wars related at the parks, the people that show their support with #fanartforrose, who cheered George Lucas' appearance at last year's Star Wars Celebration, and so on. And there is no denying that the vast majority of people who complained about the film and Disney in general are older, straight white males who feel "victimized" because, in their minds, equality means "giving everyone else more at our expense", which simply isn't true. And even without the misogyny and racism, the more general feeling of hatred is simply because they are so wedded to their misinterpretation of what Star Wars means and is, refusing to look beyond the vision they formed in their days playing with the toys and reading the EU material, thinking that everything is "the route is A-B-C-D, and so it must always be." Placing these vague, poorly defined, and thoroughly abstract restrictions that they can't even all agree on, which would simply limit the series and make it cramped.

These people are the minority, but the corporate media, our dumbed-down culture, and clickbait-driven social media overload have amplified their presence to make them larger than they are. It's a narrative that sells, and they are going to keep it alive, even when it's been thoroughly debunked. Why? Because it worked with the prequels, and they have the formula down pat. The whole "backlash" is a tempest in a teapot, and it's time to treat it as such.

erasure fan1

Wouldn’t it make more sense to scrap Rian Johnson’s trilogy plans than temporarily canceling out the side stories
I would be extremely surprised if the Rian Johnson trilogy ever sees the light of day. I just don't see them wanting the to deal with it. Maybe I'm just in a strange area, but it wasn't only middle age white guys who were disappointed in the last jedis direction by me. It was very split from all sides in my circles.

It kinda stinks that the one side story most seemed to want, Obi-Wan, we won't get anytime soon.

Mmoore29

So, just give in to the haters and let them win? That's the most idiotic, nonsensical decision possible. If they cede ground, it won't be enough. They'll keep asking for more, and more, and yet more, choking the franchise to death.

Lucasfilm has nothing to apologize for. So don't act like like there is.

21stamps

The vast majority are the audiences that went to see the films, that are quite happy. The reason you don't hear about them is because they don't go to the Internet, because they want to keep their heads down and not get involved in the ugliness. The people that walk and visit everything Star Wars related at the parks, the people that show their support with #fanartforrose, who cheered George Lucas' appearance at last year's Star Wars Celebration, and so on. And there is no denying that the vast majority of people who complained about the film and Disney in general are older, straight white males who feel "victimized" because, in their minds, equality means "giving everyone else more at our expense", which simply isn't true. And even without the misogyny and racism, the more general feeling of hatred is simply because they are so wedded to their misinterpretation of what Star Wars means and is, refusing to look beyond the vision they formed in their days playing with the toys and reading the EU material, thinking that everything is "the route is A-B-C-D, and so it must always be." Placing these vague, poorly defined, and thoroughly abstract restrictions that they can't even all agree on, which would simply limit the series and make it cramped.

These people are the minority, but the corporate media, our dumbed-down culture, and clickbait-driven social media overload have amplified their presence to make them larger than they are. It's a narrative that sells, and they are going to keep it alive, even when it's been thoroughly debunked. Why? Because it worked with the prequels, and they have the formula down pat. The whole "backlash" is a tempest in a teapot, and it's time to treat it as such.
Your last post had me, but this one is a tad off the deep end.

I think the Memorial Day weekend release hurt the movie, and there just wasn’t as much hype for Solo as the others.. mostly due to lack of advertising.

Mmoore29

Your last post had me, but this one is a tad off the deep end.

I think the Memorial Day weekend release hurt the movie, and there just wasn’t as much hype for Solo as the others.. mostly due to lack of advertising.

That's exactly what I mean. That's the primary reason Solo was disappointing, because of those factors. But of course, that isn't the narrative that is being told.

My earlier comments were in regard to The Last Jedi and the series as a whole, not Solo.

champdisney

So, just give in to the haters and let them win? That's the most idiotic, nonsensical decision possible. If they cede ground, it won't be enough. They'll keep asking for more, and more, and yet more, choking the franchise to death.

Lucasfilm has nothing to apologize for. So don't act like like there is.
I don’t know, it seems to me that you’re pushing a pointless narrative. Since when did Star Wars had to cater to political correctness? Star Wars was always diverse without having to announce it for the world to know as if they achieved something. They didn’t. It was always there and nobody cared. What does matter is the importance of creating great characters. Give me that and I’ll be good.

Also, let’s not make excuses for Solo’s bad box office numbers. Memorial Day had nothing to do with it, I’m sure if Incredibles 2 or Jurrasic World came out during that weekend, it would’ve excelled. Disney did not fail with marketing the film as I’ve seen countless advertisements regarding the movie weeks before it’s release.

Mmoore29

I don’t know, it seems to me that you’re pushing a pointless narrative. Since when did Star Wars had to cater to political correctness? Star Wars was always diverse without having to announce it for the world to know as if they achieved something. They didn’t. It was always there and nobody cared. What does matter is the importance of creating great characters. Give me that and I’ll be good.

Also, let’s not make excuses for Solo’s bad box office numbers. Memorial Day had nothing to do with it, I’m sure if Incredibles 2 or Jurrasic World came out during that weekend, it would’ve excelled. Disney did not fail with marketing the film as I’ve seen countless advertisements regarding the movie weeks before it’s release.

The series is not "catering to political correctness." It's simply pushing forward and expanding. And they're not "announcing" it. I mean, are there seriously press releases saying "Star Wars has first Asian-American character?" No, there aren't, at least not directly from Lucasfilm. Like you said, the series has always been diverse, but no one complained till now, in part because social media hadn't pervaded our society to create odious echo chambers that are receiving so much traffic. These characters are the spiritual heirs to Anakin, Padme, Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Luke, Han and Leia, and they are every bit worthy and deserving of the honor. Because if Star Wars doesn't leave something for the generations after us, it cannot thrive and prosper. It is to them that responsibility falls, and they will keep the flame alive and honor its legacy.

Simply put, Star Wars is simply doing what it has always done: breaking established rules and mindsets, and creating powerful tapestries that will stand the test of time. And if you cannot see or understand that, then you have thoroughly misunderstood this series. And that's all well and good, and you have the right not to like it or understand. I won't begrudge you for that or condemn you for it, as, like many who have embraced this series, we do NOT require everyone to sit down, shut up and "choke on it" without question. But if you go beyond simply not liking or understanding it, and lobbing insults and degrading comments to those involved in those films and act like "everyone has got to go and never be heard from again, and give us a personal apology for destroying everything", I will call you out and hold you accountable for your disgusting, toxic behavior that is poisoning the well and making it virtually impossible to discuss the series in a mature, thoughtful and considerate manner.

BTW, "social justice warrior" is not an insult, in large part because there's already a perfectly good word to call what you're referring to: bully. Use it. "Social justice warrior" refers to people like Dr. King, Malcolm X, Rosa Parks, Medgar Evers, Cesar Chavez, Russell Means, and so on.

champdisney

The series is not "catering to political correctness." It's simply pushing forward and expanding. And they're not "announcing" it. I mean, are there seriously press releases saying "Star Wars has first Asian-American character?" No, there aren't, at least not directly from Lucasfilm. Like you said, the series has always been diverse, but no one complained till now, in part because social media hadn't pervaded our society to create odious echo chambers that are receiving so much traffic. These characters are the spiritual heirs to Anakin, Padme, Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Luke, Han and Leia, and they are every bit worthy and deserving of the honor. Because if Star Wars doesn't leave something for the generations after us, it cannot thrive and prosper. It is to them that responsibility falls, and they will keep the flame alive and honor its legacy.

Simply put, Star Wars is simply doing what it has always done: breaking established rules and mindsets, and creating powerful tapestries that will stand the test of time. And if you cannot see or understand that, then you have thoroughly misunderstood this series. And that's all well and good, and you have the right not to like it or understand. I won't begrudge you for that or condemn you for it, as, like many who have embraced this series, we do NOT require everyone to sit down, shut up and "choke on it" without question. But if you go beyond simply not liking or understanding it, and lobbing insults and degrading comments to those involved in those films and act like "everyone has got to go and never be heard from again, and give us a personal apology for destroying everything", I will call you out and hold you accountable for your disgusting, toxic behavior that is poisoning the well and making it virtually impossible to discuss the series in a mature, thoughtful and considerate manner.
I understand Star Wars very well, if you want to believe I don’t get it because of my opinion, then so be it. Truth is, I loved TFA and I even liked TLJ when I first watched it. However, the more I see it, the more mistakes I encounter. Rey gets no proper training. Rose Tico and Finn were useless, it would’ve made better sense to see their entire mission on an episode of Forces of Destiny. The way they offed Captain Phasma. Lastly, the way they mistreated Luke. Which is something Mark Hamill himself has been very vocal about... guess that means Mark doesn’t understand Star Wars either :confused:. Yes, there are things that I enjoyed, such as Kylo Ren taking over and the overall visuals were beautiful BUT story is key.

With that being said, here is a tweet by Jonathan Kasdan, catering to the SJW crowd in which he unnecessarily announced something that was intended to be a ‘big deal’...
91mefr.jpg

Again... who the hell cares?! I want to get away from the real world while watching Star Wars. Something George did very well!

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru

I like how this turned into a "bash certain gender" discussion. If that's all you're gonna push as your narrative, maybe it's time to go and sit back down at the kids table.

If the only reason The Last Jedi was hated because "straight white men didnt want anyone else to get any attention", then why didnt Solo break the bank at the box office?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Why would they scrap that trilogy when The Last Jedi made money hand over fist and has been accepted by the vast majority of people (who may stay silent because they don't take to the Internet like the toxic, butthurt, manbabies?

Because it was an awful movie from every angle...and it would be if it didn’t have the Star Wars label attached?

And it’s divided a fan base that already tolerated Hayden Christianson and Lucas awful directing?

And now there’s a brand problem?

...should i make a full list?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Bigger issue is there's no interesting cliffhanger at the end of Last Jedi.

Some casual fans felt like Luke's death is enough of an end to call it quits there. I expect the box office for the next "episode" will be even less than Last Jedi.

You have two diametrically opposed factors here...

On one hand...everyone lauded abrams reboot (straight up...no chaser)...so he will get some box office traffic. We can (but probably shouldn’t) debate that dymnaic.

On the other hand: if you’re honest about it - they pooched the sequels. A reboot - which really wasn’t necessary but they went that way...and then a complete deadend mess that really had no new character development and instead “devolved” the key one of the whole story.

So the box office will drop but it’s hard to gauge.

My guess - just that, based on more than 20 years of snitty fandom - is that it will do the Pre-Sale numbers (not from me...that is done) and make $125-175 stateside the first weekend. But then - many will hold off and the big box office will only come if it’s truly a good movie. Which might be a good thing.

And no, JJ or KK, Rey and Kylo isn’t gonna do it...they have to call for help from the bullpen or at least get back to some hero type stuff like the 80’s.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I like how this turned into a "bash certain gender" discussion. If that's all you're gonna push as your narrative, maybe it's time to go and sit back down at the kids table.

If the only reason The Last Jedi was hated because "straight white men didnt want anyone else to get any attention", then why didnt Solo break the bank at the box office?

Frankly...that poster seems to be making a millennial twit “argument”....

Shouting sneers and nonsense while never stopping to consider that there IS a problem to consider. This thread is proof of it. Just the standard seeing who can type loudest.

I have a strong opinion on this...but saying there is no backlash after a Star Wars movie flopped - which is inconceivable to anyone with wisdom on what Star Wars is - is beyond silly. If you want to “show” how all the backlash is all wrong...make an argument. A 36% box office drop doesn’t do it...the next movie flopping doesn’t do it. Look for something else, please?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom