Fussy children at WDW? Heaven forbid!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixieintraining

Q: Iam spending my honeymoon at WDW and would like to know where I can take my wife for a quiet, romantic dinner, with no "overstimulated" cranky children......

A: JAMAICA! Sandals resorts are couples only!

(ummmm....can I post a possibly controversial topic here?) Too often lately I have heard and read questions and comments similar to this (not necessarily in this exact forum). It has become my pet peeve! On my last visit to WDW as we were leaving AK on a bus a very young little girl (maybe 3) had a complete meltdown. She screamed at the top of her lungs the entire ride to the Poly. Several of the other riders became horribly rude and voiced their dismay. The mother was in tears and trying anything to quiet her child. The worst of the firing squad was a woman (maybe in her 50's) who had no children with her. She was downright ugly to this poor young mom. When we reached the Poly and the family got off, the bus erupted in applause! UNBELIEVABLE! And frankly, disgusting!

Why would anybody who was sensitive to other peoples children go to a place like WDW? Would you go on a romantic date to a "G" rated movie? I doubt it!

Honeymooners ask these questions regularly...about privacy and quiet and romance. Never have I seen a response that says "go someplace else!", its the same over and over......

To the parents of these "overstimulated" children....

"1. DON'T take a tired, cranky or "overstimulated" child to a restaurant. Remember others have paid the same amount of money as you and would like to enjoy their meals without fussy children around!" I also read a comment that suggested WDW have an "adult hour" to be observed in all sit-down restaurants. HA!

OK....so you get rid of all the families with tired children at dinner. Im sure the higher powers at Disney would be thrilled with the revenues from that venture! But then again I guess they could just cut down the restaurant staff to one cook and one waitress and get rid of the characters all together. And hey it would probably only require one restaurant in the entire place to serve the masses that travel there without children.

"2. DON'T take tired, fussy or "overstimulated" children on the Disney transportation systems. If you are travelling with young children you should seriously consider renting a car! Remember others have paid the same amount, yadda, yadda, yadda!"

I travel with my children and last I checked I was the "majority". If tired, fussy children offend you.....you rent a car!

"3. Same comments have been applied to attraction lines, parade viewing and even resort pools!" And ALWAYS with this rediculous comment about someone paying the same amount as me. Hmmmmm......A couple travelling alone, no children vs. my family of five, 2 hotel rooms, 5 plane tickets, meals, snacks, souveneirs, park hoppers, souveniers, souveniers, and more souveniers (you know how kids are!)....I feel pretty confident that my donation to WDW was ASTRNOMICALLY higher. And IF they paid the same amount as me to go to a place made for children and families with children and still got upset about normal child behavior then they have noone to blame but themselves!

I honestly believe that ANYONE who loves Disney should be there. I cant imagine how romantic it would be to be married there in Cinderella fashion. I plan on visiting WDW even after my children are all grown up. But I will always know and accept that this is a place where children are abundant, even fussy, cranky, hyper and overstimulated ones (and I wouldnt want it any other way!).

Soooo, if you are sensitive to children, please dont go and be ugly! Hawaii is beautiful!

Dwarful

Well, I had a horrible experience myself on our return flight in June. Our youngest daughter got yet another ear infection midtrip and she was on Augmentin EX600 and pain medicince (drops for the ears and tylenol/motrin combo) to help her with this problem. Our 6pm flight was delayed repeatedly and about midnight we boarded our flight...about 20 mins. into the flight the pain was too much for her and she began crying loudly, she is 4 and much too old for bottles, binkys etc., but I used every trick in the book..nothing worked, she cried and cried and one man made some pretty rude remarks, assuming that I was a horrible parent and was raising the most selfish, spoiled brat on the face of the earth. It was just an unfortunate time but still having total strangers criticizing me didn't help any. Sometimes there are things going on that cannot be seen by the naked eye, so I tend to err on the side of caution before letting someone elses behavior ruin my good time.

Upvote 0

dandaman

When we went to Philharmagic last July, kids next to me wouldn't shut up... They also tried to steal my sister's purse because it was "shiny"...

Upvote 0

DisneyWood

Know it all to well....

Dwarful said:
Well, I had a horrible experience myself on our return flight in June. Our youngest daughter got yet another ear infection midtrip and she was on Augmentin EX600 and pain medicince (drops for the ears and tylenol/motrin combo) to help her with this problem. Our 6pm flight was delayed repeatedly and about midnight we boarded our flight...about 20 mins. into the flight the pain was too much for her and she began crying loudly, she is 4 and much too old for bottles, binkys etc., but I used every trick in the book..nothing worked, she cried and cried and one man made some pretty rude remarks, assuming that I was a horrible parent and was raising the most selfish, spoiled brat on the face of the earth. It was just an unfortunate time but still having total strangers criticizing me didn't help any. Sometimes there are things going on that cannot be seen by the naked eye, so I tend to err on the side of caution before letting someone elses behavior ruin my good time.

I also tend to err on the side of caution due to the experiences I have had with my children's ears. They both needed tubes in their ears due to chronic ear infections. There is nothing worse that an ear infection while on a trip. You begin to dread the trip home. :brick:

I hardly ever offer any suggestions to total strangers, unless we are already visiting about something. Then I may tell them what I do during this situations. Most parents are doing the best they can, they don't need negative remarks, dirty looks or anything else from others.

Instead of criticizing an already emotional situation, see what you can do to help. That is if you are sitting near them.

Upvote 0

Gail Hayden

Dwarful said:
There is a huge difference in the cry of a child who is in pain and one that is being a pain. That had to be incredibly painful for your DD and I certainly would have offered the suggestion of a hot towel for each ear. That seems to help in some cases.
I get really annoyed at the parents that take the "deer in the headlights" approach to parenting. There is a fine line between "politically correct" parenting and respect for others. It is, IMHO, disrespectful to others to have to tolerate a child running all over a restaurant, or to tolerate a temper tantrum etc. Remove the child, let the child do it's thing out of the earshot of others who may not enjoy this new parenting style or hearing a child scream or misbehave.

Upvote 0

Gail Hayden

I hardly ever offer any suggestions to total strangers, unless we are already visiting about something. Then I may tell them what I do during this situations. Most parents are doing the best they can, they don't need negative remarks, dirty looks or anything else from others.

I respectfully disagree with this statement. I realize times change as do parenting methods, but, my observations in the last 5 or so years make me tend to go with the theory that the vast majority of parents simply don't have a clue or respect for others.
It is a true joy to go somewhere and see well behaved children and I DO comment on it to the parents. Unfortunately, it is very very rare.
I wish people would realize that their children are not the center of everyone's universe and not everyone enjoys being around brats. It is wonderful that you are this nice, unfortunately not all of us are. :( Happily, when stuff like this bugs me, I can move, most of the time.

Upvote 0
Just a few thoughts

After visiting Disney World this past Spring....and planning to go again for honeymoon at Thanksgiving, I must say that I have had my eyes opened.

I don't know what it is, but there is something about the screaming of a child that cuts through a person.

Let me just say a few things:

For those of you (parents or not) who adhere to the kids scream, get over it or tune it out philosophy....let me just say this...

NO I will not tune it out...YOUR kid is causing the disturbance...breaking the tranquility of the area...TAKE HIM OR HER OUTSIDE...I am not going to "tune them out"...you need to TAKE them out. Saying to someone who is visibly upset about your loud kid screaming "tune it out or walk away" is like a smoker saying to someone who is upset by that smoker blowing smoke into another's face....I'm smoking...go somewhere else...we know that will never happen.

SO, let me suggest that you figure out some way to stop your kid from ruining everyone else's time.

NOW, that being said....and now that I am finished venting....

Children are great...and it sucks when they cry...they either don't feel well or are tired or are sad....and that's a real er...I think that is about normal for kids...

But there are 2 things to remember:

1.) If your kid is over the age of five and is throwing a tantrum (and I mean kicking, screaming, etc.) then YOU have the problem...not me...your kid has discipline problems...be a parent and reign him/her in. (Of course this is not directed towards children with disabilities, etc.)

2.) Learn to respect others, mom and dad...you may think sunlight shines out of your child's bellybutton, but I assure you, when your child is screaming, I couldn't care less that they are your pride and joy....they are your loud and annoying pride and joy...so stop them...or take them outside.

I know this offended some of you...and I really am not trying to offend...just trying to let you know that those of us who want to enjoy someplace...disney or anywhere...are offended when you don't try to silence your screaming child more than you are offended by us making a comment.

Anyhow...if any of you folks with kids are going to be at WDW in November...don't expect me to say anything about screaming kids...I leave those comments to old people and idiots....I know the kid is upset...and parents are embarassed....I usually just close my eyes, and hope they quiet down...shoot a smile at mom or dad (saying I understand) and just get to the hotel room...that's all I can do...

WDW is a magic place...let the kids have fun

Johnny

Upvote 0

MKCustodial

Agreed.

We're not heartless monsters. You gotta pretty dense not to realize WDW is a place for children, even if they're of all ages. And as many have posted, if a child is not feeling well there isn't really much the parents can do. But parents CAN walk away to a private area with the child to try and figure out what's going on; big 5, 6 year old kids ARE old enough to say if they're feeling ill or not; and one can't possibly try to convince me that every single kid (and adult) throwing a tantrum around the resort is doing so because they're not feeling well. Especially those brats running up and down the bus to the hotel at 1 in the morning.

Upvote 0

mrtoad

Dwarful said:

If somebody gave me remarks about my kid crying or screaming as you had happen to you. They would have a problem. I am not saying you should have done something as that is totally up to you. I am just saying nobody but the parents of a child knows what is going on (and sometimes the parents don't as well as I will get to in a minute) and they should not judge you or your children. I feel bad it happened to you and am trully sorry for it.

People - do not judge, you have no clue what is wrong with a child. You may see a child that you think is 5 or 6 that could be 3 or 4. That is a huge difference in age and the younger kids will not deal with things the same. You also can not tell if a child has a disability by looking at them and there could be underlying issues you have no clue about.

As for telling someone to go outside is not always possible. You are on a but or a plane somewhere you can't just take a walk. STOP JUDGING OTHERS. It is flat out wrong. If you have any sense at all you should realize you have no clue as to what that child or parents have been through. And frankly you should not even try to figure it out. It is not your kid, you have no clue, mind your own business.

Not many things make me really angry but this is one of them. :fork:

Upvote 0

cherrynegra

Dwarful said:

Maybe it's because I helped my parents to raise the younger siblings, so I'm a little attuned to what certain cries mean, but I always feel for parents with little ones on planes. Trust me!! I know the difference when one is suffering from ear infection. Not fun. And then you add a pressurized cabin to it, and poor things. I feel for you totally.

Upvote 0

Journey

cnfdrate1 said:
After visiting Disney World this past Spring....and planning to go again for honeymoon at Thanksgiving, I must say that I have had my eyes opened.

I don't know what it is, but there is something about the screaming of a child that cuts through a person.

Let me just say a few things:

For those of you (parents or not) who adhere to the kids scream, get over it or tune it out philosophy....let me just say this...

NO I will not tune it out...YOUR kid is causing the disturbance...breaking the tranquility of the area...TAKE HIM OR HER OUTSIDE...I am not going to "tune them out"...you need to TAKE them out. Saying to someone who is visibly upset about your loud kid screaming "tune it out or walk away" is like a smoker saying to someone who is upset by that smoker blowing smoke into another's face....I'm smoking...go somewhere else...we know that will never happen.

SO, let me suggest that you figure out some way to stop your kid from ruining everyone else's time.

NOW, that being said....and now that I am finished venting....

Children are great...and it sucks when they cry...they either don't feel well or are tired or are sad....and that's a real er...I think that is about normal for kids...

But there are 2 things to remember:

1.) If your kid is over the age of five and is throwing a tantrum (and I mean kicking, screaming, etc.) then YOU have the problem...not me...your kid has discipline problems...be a parent and reign him/her in. (Of course this is not directed towards children with disabilities, etc.)

2.) Learn to respect others, mom and dad...you may think sunlight shines out of your child's bellybutton, but I assure you, when your child is screaming, I couldn't care less that they are your pride and joy....they are your loud and annoying pride and joy...so stop them...or take them outside.

I know this offended some of you...and I really am not trying to offend...just trying to let you know that those of us who want to enjoy someplace...disney or anywhere...are offended when you don't try to silence your screaming child more than you are offended by us making a comment.

Anyhow...if any of you folks with kids are going to be at WDW in November...don't expect me to say anything about screaming kids...I leave those comments to old people and idiots....I know the kid is upset...and parents are embarassed....I usually just close my eyes, and hope they quiet down...shoot a smile at mom or dad (saying I understand) and just get to the hotel room...that's all I can do...

WDW is a magic place...let the kids have fun

Johnny
Since someone took the time to bring up a thread that is almost a year old, I took the time to read it.

Welcome to the boards, first of all!

I have a question for you Johnny.
Are you a parent of a child?

Try as we might sometimes we have no control over our childrens emotions.
Parents ARE the key to well behaved, "controlled children" but sometimes a melt down is hard to predict.

I applaud the folks who mentioned, Naps, downtime during the day, and not going on a marathon visit to the Parks. I took my 4 yr old and had no problems , I centered what we did on how much our children would enjoy the activity.

If a child is taught to behave in church, or a restaurant then they generally are well behaved.
If a child has not been taught then I blame the parents.

It was not until I became a mother did I realize that the world doesn't revolve around me and self centeredness had no place in my life anymore.

That being said, I don't think anyone should feel the need to berate or embarrass another person, just because They were inconvienced for a short period of time, considering the length of our lives.

As my Mama alway use to say "Life is like a ...... oh sorry wrong Mama
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all"

Upvote 0

DisneyWood

Journey said:
Since someone took the time to bring up a thread that is almost a year old, I took the time to read it.

Welcome to the boards, first of all!

I have a question for you Johnny.
Are you a parent of a child?

Try as we might sometimes we have no control over our childrens emotions.
Parents ARE the key to well behaved, "controlled children" but sometimes a melt down is hard to predict.

I applaud the folks who mentioned, Naps, downtime during the day, and not going on a marathon visit to the Parks. I took my 4 yr old and had no problems , I centered what we did on how much our children would enjoy the activity.

If a child is taught to behave in church, or a restaurant then they generally are well behaved.
If a child has not been taught then I blame the parents.

It was not until I became a mother did I realize that the world doesn't revolve around me and self centeredness had no place in my life anymore.

That being said, I don't think anyone should feel the need to berate or embarrass another person, just because They were inconvienced for a short period of time, considering the length of our lives.

As my Mama alway use to say "Life is like a ...... oh sorry wrong Mama
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all"

I couldn't agree more. Children are going to act out periodically. We can't predict it, just try to handle the situation as they come up. Trust me, I am not a parent who sits there and ignores my child during a meltdown. My son is 2 and still doesn't really understand why he can have somethings or not others. We have a struggle with that, but he is getting better.

We firmly believe in disciplining our children. If that means, we need to go outside, bathroom, car, etc during an episode, so be it. We, like most parents, don't accept meltdowns.

I don't need anyone to tell me how to respond to my children's episodes. I can handle it myself. If you have anything negative to say, then I suggest that you keep it to yourself. You are not doing anybody any favors by doing this, or helping the situation. What you are doing is frustrating the parents even more during a difficult situation.

I believe that most parents keep their children in check, especially on trips. But there are a select few that have the gift of tolerance and can completely ignore their child during meltdowns. Now, how do you tell the difference? The adults that are tolerating this behavior is usually engrossed in what they are currently doing (eating, shopping, conversing, etc). The other (and I would say about 80 to 85%) parents are either consoling their children or going to a private area to sort it out.

Ear infections are the absolute worst..... Both of my children have had chronic ear infections and needed tubes. I am not looking forward to the plane trip there to WDW. I am hoping that they do not have any problems... It breaks my heart when they are in pain, and I am rendered just about helpless. I can only rely on the medication on plane trips...

52 days in counting. Here we come!!! :sohappy: :sohappy:

Upvote 0
A few more things

Thank you for the welcomes. I have been reading posts for a while now, but just recently got the nerve to start posting.

The first thing I want to say is...I don't want anyone to think that I would ever have the audacity to walk up to a person and say, "excuse me...but your child is annoying the hell out of me....shut him/her up." NEVER would I do that....in fact...it is more like me to walk up and say "is he/she ok? Can I get you something? What can I do?"

That's just the way my parents raised me....

I guess my post was mostly the way I feel inside...its like I want to SCREAM...SHUT UP! But I never would react that way. My heart goes out to all the parents who are trying their best to raise good kids.

I don't have any kids....and all you moms and dads are going to say...."you don't know what you're talking about....just wait until you have them...and other stuff like that." My response to that is brief...BULL!

Why do I have to be a dad in order to make a decision as to if it is annoying when a kid cries...Do my ears change? No, my attitude may....but it will still be annoying....believe me...my kid, or not...crying is a pain in the a$$ to hear, if it wasn't, kids would do something else to get our attention when they feel rotten.

And Mr. Toad,

I understand that you may have been offended by what I said...and I don't mean to offend

I understand that there isn't always a time when you can "go outside" like riding on a bus or a train...or whatever....but if that is the case...thend don't be upset when someone gets annoyed that your kid is fussing...that person who is annoyed is not causing the disturbance....your child is...its a bad situation...but take responsibility...apologize for your child being loud and explain why....people will usually understand....

But the, "how dare you get upset or annoyed when my kid is being loud and a royal pain" attitude has got to go....

And as an aside....

I would like to address the fact that I am not judging anyone....true I don't know why a kid is screaming...and since I don't, I don't go beat the hell out of mom, dad and the kid when the kid is screaming.
I don't judge parents or kids...I don't do anything....like I said...I either offer assistance...or close my eyes...maybe smile at the parents.

But if i wanted to look at their kid and see what the kid is doing and form an opinion as to how good the parents are, based on how the child is acting, that's my business...no one else's...

for instance if I see a kid running around, acting like a fool, being disruptive and misbehaving, and the parents just carrying on like there kid has done nothing....i don't think its a stretch to assume the parents do not discipline the kid...am I judging? NO! I am formulating an opinion...

Now If i wanted to judge parents, that is my business too...but I don't.

I leave the judging up to the Almighty.

Johnny

Upvote 0

Gail Hayden

I understand that there isn't always a time when you can "go outside" like riding on a bus or a train...or whatever....but if that is the case...thend don't be upset when someone gets annoyed that your kid is fussing...that person who is annoyed is not causing the disturbance....your child is...its a bad situation...but take responsibility...apologize for your child being loud and explain why....people will usually understand....

But the, "how dare you get upset or annoyed when my kid is being loud and a royal pain" attitude has got to go....

ITA, especially with the last paragraph. I find that type of attitude belongs to the parent who has the child that acts up the most.

Upvote 0

Journey

Thank goodness the Almight gave me patience!
Patience is a Virtue!

There are parents out there who also would like to SCREAM..... SHUT UP on a daily basis, but we don't or most of us don't.

[Quote}I don't have any kids....and all you moms and dads are going to say...."you don't know what you're talking about....just wait until you have them...and other stuff like that." My response to that is brief...BULL!
~snickergiggles~ If you have children I hope the Creator blesses you with twins!
My grandpa always told me not to spit into the wind, cause it's gonna come back on you!

You will find most parents don't care what your opinion is when they are dealing with a screaming child or meltdown. Condesending smiles don't cut it either!

This debate could go on forever, kind of like religon and politics and smoking areas! !
Since this is a discussion board about Disney, I say , If you are at Disney and encounter these types of events, try and take a Disney attitude and bite the bullet keep our mouths shut and make it as pleasant as possible for everyone envolved.

Everyone has there own opinions therefore, judge not least ye be judged!

Try a little patience! :wave:

Upvote 0

mrtoad

cnfdrate1 said:
Why do I have to be a dad in order to make a decision as to if it is annoying when a kid cries...Do my ears change? No, my attitude may....but it will still be annoying....believe me...my kid, or not...crying is a pain in the a$$ to hear, if it wasn't, kids would do something else to get our attention when they feel rotten.

Read your statement....

If you think crying is annoying, you should not even think of being a parent.

"Oh look honey, little Johnny is crying. That really annoys the hell out of me. Johnny stop it right now."

That is great, little Johnny is sick to his stomach and has been trying to tell you for a freaking half hour but you were too annoyed to realize it.

If crying is annoying to you, I would hate to see you deal with your kid if they get car sick.

Do me a favor, don't propagate. It won't be fair to your offspring.

Upvote 0

mrtoad

Journey said:
Thank goodness the Almight gave me patience!
Patience is a Virtue!

There are parents out there who also would like to SCREAM..... SHUT UP on a daily basis, but we don't or most of us don't.

[Quote}I don't have any kids....and all you moms and dads are going to say...."you don't know what you're talking about....just wait until you have them...and other stuff like that." My response to that is brief...BULL!
~snickergiggles~ If you have children I hope the Creator blesses you with twins!
My grandpa always told me not to spit into the wind, cause it's gonna come back on you!

You will find most parents don't care what your opinion is when they are dealing with a screaming child or meltdown. Condesending smiles don't cut it either!

This debate could go on forever, kind of like religon and politics and smoking areas! !
Since this is a discussion board about Disney, I say , If you are at Disney and encounter these types of events, try and take a Disney attitude and bite the bullet keep our mouths shut and make it as pleasant as possible for everyone envolved.

Everyone has there own opinions therefore, judge not least ye be judged!

Try a little patience! :wave:

You are much calmer and nicer than me. :)

I have no patience for people who think like that.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom