Fussy children at WDW? Heaven forbid!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixieintraining

Q: Iam spending my honeymoon at WDW and would like to know where I can take my wife for a quiet, romantic dinner, with no "overstimulated" cranky children......

A: JAMAICA! Sandals resorts are couples only!

(ummmm....can I post a possibly controversial topic here?) Too often lately I have heard and read questions and comments similar to this (not necessarily in this exact forum). It has become my pet peeve! On my last visit to WDW as we were leaving AK on a bus a very young little girl (maybe 3) had a complete meltdown. She screamed at the top of her lungs the entire ride to the Poly. Several of the other riders became horribly rude and voiced their dismay. The mother was in tears and trying anything to quiet her child. The worst of the firing squad was a woman (maybe in her 50's) who had no children with her. She was downright ugly to this poor young mom. When we reached the Poly and the family got off, the bus erupted in applause! UNBELIEVABLE! And frankly, disgusting!

Why would anybody who was sensitive to other peoples children go to a place like WDW? Would you go on a romantic date to a "G" rated movie? I doubt it!

Honeymooners ask these questions regularly...about privacy and quiet and romance. Never have I seen a response that says "go someplace else!", its the same over and over......

To the parents of these "overstimulated" children....

"1. DON'T take a tired, cranky or "overstimulated" child to a restaurant. Remember others have paid the same amount of money as you and would like to enjoy their meals without fussy children around!" I also read a comment that suggested WDW have an "adult hour" to be observed in all sit-down restaurants. HA!

OK....so you get rid of all the families with tired children at dinner. Im sure the higher powers at Disney would be thrilled with the revenues from that venture! But then again I guess they could just cut down the restaurant staff to one cook and one waitress and get rid of the characters all together. And hey it would probably only require one restaurant in the entire place to serve the masses that travel there without children.

"2. DON'T take tired, fussy or "overstimulated" children on the Disney transportation systems. If you are travelling with young children you should seriously consider renting a car! Remember others have paid the same amount, yadda, yadda, yadda!"

I travel with my children and last I checked I was the "majority". If tired, fussy children offend you.....you rent a car!

"3. Same comments have been applied to attraction lines, parade viewing and even resort pools!" And ALWAYS with this rediculous comment about someone paying the same amount as me. Hmmmmm......A couple travelling alone, no children vs. my family of five, 2 hotel rooms, 5 plane tickets, meals, snacks, souveneirs, park hoppers, souveniers, souveniers, and more souveniers (you know how kids are!)....I feel pretty confident that my donation to WDW was ASTRNOMICALLY higher. And IF they paid the same amount as me to go to a place made for children and families with children and still got upset about normal child behavior then they have noone to blame but themselves!

I honestly believe that ANYONE who loves Disney should be there. I cant imagine how romantic it would be to be married there in Cinderella fashion. I plan on visiting WDW even after my children are all grown up. But I will always know and accept that this is a place where children are abundant, even fussy, cranky, hyper and overstimulated ones (and I wouldnt want it any other way!).

Soooo, if you are sensitive to children, please dont go and be ugly! Hawaii is beautiful!

frazierle

On a slightly different note - How would you handle a 10-13 year old pushing his parents around? As I mentioned earlier I have a tendancy to try and interact with the cranky kids (young ones) and distract them. But I was involved in a situation at the POR food court where a kid (looked about 12) started yelling at his mother in the check out line, she said something back to him, he raised his hand to slap her, and I told the boy he better not as long as I'm standing there. They both turned around (away from me) checked out and as they were leaving the mother told me I should mind my own business. I thought I did the right thing, but it has bother me since was it the right thing to do. Should I have keep my mouth shut?

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

I dont think so Fraz, you followed your heart and what else are we ever supposed to do. The mother was a bit of a moron to have made that statement to you though. I probably would have thanked you!! Belle

Upvote 0

Dwarful

inside she was probably thanking you...she was probably just extremely mortified to have a child respond like that.
we took our nephews who are in that age group and they were great..even helped out with the two year old when asked (and sometimes even when they werent)
I have been told by family and friends that I am a "overly strict" parent. I grew up with rules and we have rules at our house..simple things:

1)no food or drinks outside of the dining room/kitchen (if they learn early to eat at the table then eating out at restaurants isn't a big deal!)
2)no outside shoes in the living room (thats the only room where we dont have hardwood floors)
3)if you get it out put it back

you get the idea..too many people think things like that are punishment..I actually had an aunt tell me no one believes in manners anymore and it wasnt fair to push them off on my children! So you see what we parents are up against!

Upvote 0

homer424

I am going to try not to reiterate (sp?) what everyone else has said-I agree with pretty much all of it. I was blessed with an incredible dd who has gone to WDW twice. The key to our stress-free vacations is we know her limits and know how she will be in certain situations and we adjust to them (she is 3). We take a realxed attitude towards it-after all it is vacation and we are supposed to be having fun! LOL We don't rush to get there when it opens and we tend to do fly by the seat of our pants. Only thing we plan is which park we will go to and possibly what we will do that night. She will nap in her stroller but we still would go back to the room for few hours to watch tv, read, swim, sleep or just veg. Honestly, the only time I even remember her crying in WDW was this last trip when she tripped while holding my hand and hurt her wrist.

Sometimes even if you try to do everything to curb them, meltdowns just happen. I always think of it this way-everyone gets into bad moods for one reason or another. As adults we can try to stifle it until we can let it out, kids sometimes can't. Of course there is a difference between this and poorly beahved children who have parents that watch them climb walls, run through stores/crowded places, throw things around, push people out of their way, etc. and do nothing to stop them. There is just no excuse for that.

And Frazierle, I probably would have said the same thing. I think it was very noble of you to say something. It seems more and more people look away at that sort of thing. Maybe she said that to you because she was afraid of her son (sad to say) so she wanted to save face.

Upvote 0

homer424

Originally posted by Dwarful
you get the idea..too many people think things like that are punishment..I actually had an aunt tell me no one believes in manners anymore and it wasnt fair to push them off on my children! So you see what we parents are up against!

Oy! Manners are the big thing with me. Nothing I can't stand more than illmannered people-young and old. My DD could say please and thank you at 2 and my 7 year old nephew thinks the world owes him-once when his grandmother made him lunch, I asked if he said thank you he said "No. She has to do this for me". And there is nothing wrong with rules and structure-kids crave them! The aforementioned nephew has none-his mom is kinda wishy-washy and "feels bad" settling limits for him. He walks all over her and is allowed to push around his much younger sibling and tries to do the same with my DD(of course "tries" being the keyword!;) ) I wish more parents would be more like you Dwarful!

Upvote 0

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Think of it this way: Sure - you'll have the times when kids will be fussy and even a bit of an ear and eye-sore, but that comes with the territory. Now - would WDW be the same if it were all adults, and you didn't have any of that "childish laughter and magic" that is really what the experience is all about.

I'm not sure about any of you, but the minute I step onto the WDW grounds, I'm 12 years old again. I'm wide-eyed and in awe of everything going on around me. I can put my worries in my suitcase for a few days and just worry about having true "fun" for the little bit that I am there.

That being said, I realized something on my last trip - I'm NOT 12 years old anymore. I was sitting on a bus after a long night at one of the parks, and a mother came on with a little one in her arms fast asleep. I quickly gave her my seat, as I figured she must be exhausted from dealing with her the whole day. As my fiancee and I stood there, I held onto her (she's too short to reach the top rails), and watched the little girls sleep. That was when it really hit me that I can't wait to have kids. And part of the reason is that I get to introduce them to SO many things in this world, and Disney is going to be one of them. I get to view everything there through a brand new set of eyes - the eyes of a child. And there is something that is really special about that. Something that the people who get annoyed by children will never understand because they are too self-centered on their "good times" and what they paid for the vacation.

I guess in conclusion - without the kids, Disney wouldn't be Disney and you wouldn't catch me anywhere near it :)

Upvote 0

Loucifr

We have been taking to our daughters to WDW every year or so since they were born. They are now 6 and 4. Next week will be our oldest daughter’s eighth trip.

Like I said earlier in this thread we are blessed with kids that are really easy to travel with. We have some suggestions that seem to work for us.

Usually we travel to WDW with Grandma and Grandpa. They make it nice cause then the “parenting” gets spilt 4-ways. Kids tend to listen to Grandmas and Grandpas, plus Grandmas and Grandpas make kids happy. And they make great babysitters. Makes sense right?

These next few are really No-brainers but sometimes parents overlook the obvious.

Practice going to dinner with the kids before you go. If the only place your kids eat out is McDonalds than it is hard to expect them to know how to behave when you get to a “sit-down” WDW restaurant. Make it a point to take them to “sit-down” places -- Applebees, Olive-Garden, those types of places. It takes a lot to get a kid to sit down for 45mins to an hour. Practice makes perfect. By scouting them out at Applebees a few times you know what it takes to keep them happy and they know what you expect.

Listen to them. We rent the big double stroller. If the kids want to ride let them ride. If they want to walk let them walk. We only make them ride when in really crowded areas(after fireworks stuff like that). Most days we let them set the pace. Sometimes as parents we assume because we are OK they are OK but ask them if they are thirsty, hungry, tired, or hot? Sometimes you can catch the problem before it starts.

Remember their daily-stamina gets shorter every day. After a few days take time for naps, on the third or fourth day we try to sleep in. Sleeping in is also great for the parent’s. Our six year old does not really like naps anymore but she always seems to nap at WDW. Any days we plan on fireworks or anything much later than the kid’s normal bedtime we make sure they get that nap in.

But hey what do I know?

Upvote 0

cymbaldiva

Originally posted by wannabeBelle
Speaking for the childless people....I think it is safe to say that the majority of us(Myself included) that we DO understand when children have a meltdown. It happens. we are all aware of that. But if your child was having said meltdown would you force the child onto a bunch more rides? Probably not. But we have all seen it happen by insensitive parents. What us childless types do not understand is why a parent would let a child rampage or meltdown and not do anything about it?? If your child is kicking other people on the bus on the way back to the resort, hold him or her until you get back to the hotel!! If your child is having a metdown, are you as a parent doing anything about it? If not, why? While Disney is certainly a place for children, it is also a place for grownups. I dont have a problem with children and in most cases get along incredibly well with them. One time on the Pooh ride I had a sweet little girl who just attached herself to my leg as her Mom and I were talking. She liked me and I liked her right back. Children can be great if the parents understand that Disney is a BIG place and may be a tad much for the kids to take in. Also Children who are just badly bahaved are a pet peeve because I know so many good children!! I also make it a point when I see great behavior from a kid to compliment the parent. Good children are not the rule today and the parents definitely deserve some praise for that!!! And they just dont hear the praise enough!!! Belle

Miss Belle -

As always, you've said it all! :sohappy:

frazierle-

I have so many thoughts on your unfortunate situation (POR foodcourt) that I have no idea where to start!

I don't even know you, but bless your heart for dealing with such a retched situtation so well :)

Upvote 0

cymbaldiva

Sorry ya'll, I read a bit further and must comment once again! :D

Dwarful...

I am both stunned and amazed that anyone (especially an aunt - mine would really hurt me if I were ever rude!) would say that no-one believes in manners anymore! I thank you and wish you the very best in teaching your children to be polite :)

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Hey Lou thanks for being a great parent!!!! It is peple like you who I was referring to when I was saying that good parents just dont get enough praise about it!!! Belle

Upvote 0

Logan5

Kids arent the problem, its the fat abnoxious parents....

Fist let me begin by saying hello to everyone....
My names Orestes and this is my first time posting
Im a miami native who has made the four hour excursion to the happiest place on earth to many times to remember...
I still believe in the magic of disney, and even though i feel we went through a bit of a dry spell i think the parks are experiencing a rebirth ..
Ayways back to the thread..

Kids arent the problem, its the fat abnoxious parents..
Now im probably going to get the meat hook for this but the parents that i have seen at disney of late reflect a trend in our society..
Americans are overweight , overworked.. and thus dont have the physical or mental abilty to truly enjoy a themepark the way the kids can...

I think the first thing everyone should do when they get to to the parking lot is:

Breathe in the magic, out the negative energy

Skip the tram, and walk (if abail)

And try not to sweat the small stuff...

There are going to be lines, we will all learn lessons about patience, just relax...

oh and the frozen margaritas in mexico.....Big Help!

If you can dream it, you can do it!

Upvote 0
Welcome to the boards!

I hate to act like a policeman here but this thread is over a year old and if you want to voice you opinion than you should start a new thread.

Hi from Weston! :wave:

Upvote 0

rosebud's mom

Belle,

You are wise beyond what I perceive to be your years ! As a parent of 4, with ages ranging from 25 - 4, I agree that the good parents do not receive enough recognition. Like everything in life, the noisy and unpleasant person is the one who gets the attention.

I personally have always been lucky with both my own and other people's children. The worst problem I ever had was when a toddler wrapped herself around my leg and wouldn't let go. I didn't mind, but could not find the parent anywhere. After a few minutes of holding and consoling the scared youngster her mother appeared and was VERY similar in appearance to me. Luckily the mother realized this and did not think I was trying to abduct her child !!

Now, my pet peeves are ignorant people who will push children down to get to the characters, and tour groups who pretend not to understand English when you heard them speaking it moments before ! The character problem doesn't happen as much as it did in the days when you just had to happen upon them randomly. Some tour groups will probably always be problems and give foreign travelers a bad name, that most do not deserve.

Everybody remembers the lowest common denominator. Its so much nicer to look for the positive.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

rosebud's mom said:
Belle,

You are wise beyond what I perceive to be your years ! As a parent of 4, with ages ranging from 25 - 4, I agree that the good parents do not receive enough recognition. Like everything in life, the noisy and unpleasant person is the one who gets the attention.

I personally have always been lucky with both my own and other people's children. The worst problem I ever had was when a toddler wrapped herself around my leg and wouldn't let go. I didn't mind, but could not find the parent anywhere. After a few minutes of holding and consoling the scared youngster her mother appeared and was VERY similar in appearance to me. Luckily the mother realized this and did not think I was trying to abduct her child !!

Now, my pet peeves are ignorant people who will push children down to get to the characters, and tour groups who pretend not to understand English when you heard them speaking it moments before ! The character problem doesn't happen as much as it did in the days when you just had to happen upon them randomly. Some tour groups will probably always be problems and give foreign travelers a bad name, that most do not deserve.

Everybody remembers the lowest common denominator. Its so much nicer to look for the positive.
Hi there Thanks!!! Belle's years are 39 so far. My experience with kids however is limited to my nieces and nephews. I dont have any little Beasts running around as I havent found a suitable Adult Beast for me to call my own!!! Hopefully I will have a child that is as good as the children I Am lucky enough to have in my life,and hopefully I will remember all the good advice that I gave to others and take some of it myself!!! Belle

Upvote 0

rosebud's mom

Should they ever start requiring a license to become a parent, I think you would ace the test !! I'll keep a good thought going for you that your Beast reveal himself. ( in a magical way, of course !) Who knows.............maybe at the meet ?

I look forward to meeting you in December.

Upvote 0

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
What about cranky, overstimulated adults? :lol:

Honestly, since having two of my own, cranky kids don't bother me. I expect it. In a place so big, so.... magical, kids run themselves to the point of exhaustion (parents too!). However, I do expect parents to still be parents, even at the end of the day. :lookaroun

Upvote 0

AEfx

It's really not a dislike of children, it's a dislike of parents who do not teach their children to be respectful of others and not act like hellions in public.

A healthy six-year old should not be screaching and screaming because they don't get their way (of course, children with developmental disabilities aside), yet they do every day at WDW. As well as eight-, ten-, and twelve-year olds. And even some adults - who were once children who were never taught respect for others.

There is a large segment of people who go through the world (and the World) every day like it's their trashcan, just bludgeoning their way through to get what they want at the expense of all others. Unfortunately, some of these people have children and pass on this false entitlement.

I'll give you an example - I go to lots of rock/pop concerts. I can't tell you how many concerts I have spent with my seat-turned up and hunched over leaning against it while everyone was standing up so I don't block the view of a small person/child above me. I'm a pretty big/tall guy, and I wouldn't have a good time myself if I wasn't respectful of the enjoyment of others around me.

Then last year I took my disabled niece (who is in a wheelchair) to a concert. We had special seats - right behind a group of screaming 12-year olds who not only stood up, but stood in their chairs, in front of my niece who had no such option. I really nicely tried to point the situation out to them, in hopes they'd at least be respectful of my niece, but all I was told to do was "get over it". My niece still had a good time, just being there, but because no one taught those girls any sort of respect what could have been magical was simply "okay".

The same goes for children. If you bring an infant into a show, say, "Philharmagic", and it starts screaming and crying, it's time for you to leave the show. Wait for your family outside the exit. Your infant isn't getting anything out of it, and the experiences of hundreds of other people is being ruined.

If you have an older child who "acts up" constantly, you need to deal with it. It's your choice if you allow your child to act in what many would say were inappropriate ways, but you should have the good sense to have your embarassing to-do in private, and not in full view of the other guests around you who's families behave.

It's not that people object to children; it's the unchecked behavior that some parents allow their children to engage in that ruins the experience of other guests. Unless children have a true developmental disability there is no excuse for them to act out ine the ways that so many do. I don't think it's horrible for people to expect others to take responsibility for their own children.

AEfx

Upvote 0

DisneyWood

HauntedPirate said:
What about cranky, overstimulated adults? :lol:

Honestly, since having two of my own, cranky kids don't bother me. I expect it. In a place so big, so.... magical, kids run themselves to the point of exhaustion (parents too!). However, I do expect parents to still be parents, even at the end of the day. :lookaroun

I have 2 young children of my own, and completely understand the term "meltdown". However, my wife and I have been to disney world numerous times before we had children. Cranky children do not bother us at all. I tend to feel sorry for the parents and try not to pay attention b/c they are already embarrassed as it is. Now, that being said, I do have a problem with children being disrespectful to other guests as well as their parents (I know it still is the parents responsibility to discipline but some just don't seem to care).

WDW is a place for everyone - adults, teenagers, children, infants. Why? It is a place where you can escape reality and other problems. You can be a child again, only for a brief period. I have a big problem with other people (especially adults w/o children) voicing their thoughts & opinions to parents doing the best they can to calm a tired child. That really infuriates me. Sometimes there is just nothing to do except ignore the child. I think it was Dr. James Dobson said that if the child sees no reaction to this behavior, then they tend to stop. I know that is a lot easier said than done.

If people have a hard time with cranky, tired children because they are tired themselves, they should either:
a. Go somewhere else :wave:
b. Go during the value season
-Stay at a deluxe resort
c. Grow up themselves and realize where they are
d. Do the best they can to keep their opinions to themselves, as hard as it may be. :zipit:
e. Take a nap during the day; you may be able to tolerate a little more if better rested. :snore:
f. If all else fails, try taking either a niece, nephew, neighbor's son, step-son or other young child to Disney World for an entire trip (minimum of 5 days) to see just what parents endure, especially if you think it is easy. :brick:
g. Try not to forget to have a pleasant trip.

Just my thoughts as a young father doing the best he can raising his children.

Please don't misunderstand, I do not enjoy a child screaming at the top of their lungs through my dinner. But I do understand and will tolerate it. Now, my children and I take a walk (sometimes to the bathroom to sort it out).

We can't wait until our trip in October. Yes, we are traveling with 8 children in our party. Yes, they will be well rested each day due to the nap schedule for them and for us. :snore:

Upvote 0

AEfx

DisneyWood said:
Please don't misunderstand, I do not enjoy a child screaming at the top of their lungs through my dinner. But I do understand and will tolerate it. Now, my children and I take a walk (sometimes to the bathroom to sort it out).

That's where the issue lies.

It is expected occasionally for children to experience this problem, but when parents accept it as "Okay" and do nothing to stop it is when it is wrong.

If you let your child scream for a half-hour during dinner at a sit-down restaurant, that's wrong. It shouldn't be tolerated, by anyone. Tolerating is is condoning it as right.

Parents that sit there and let their child scream for a 1/2 hour while ignoring it have got to be the most selfish people alive - not only are they ignoring their child but by allowing it to continue in a restaurant is ruining the meals of every other parent, non-parent, and even other children there. When it happens, you remove the child and calm them down. As you suggest - a trip to the bathroom. Or outside.

When a child is screaming there is a problem, one way or another - and the only people that get dirty looks from me are those who let it continue on, and on, and on, while smiling or pretending it isn't happening.

AEfx

Upvote 0

DisneyWood

AEfx said:
That's where the issue lies.

It is expected occasionally for children to experience this problem, but when parents accept it as "Okay" and do nothing to stop it is when it is wrong.

If you let your child scream for a half-hour during dinner at a sit-down restaurant, that's wrong. It shouldn't be tolerated, by anyone. Tolerating is is condoning it as right.

Parents that sit there and let their child scream for a 1/2 hour while ignoring it have got to be the most selfish people alive - not only are they ignoring their child but by allowing it to continue in a restaurant is ruining the meals of every other parent, non-parent, and even other children there. When it happens, you remove the child and calm them down. As you suggest - a trip to the bathroom. Or outside.

When a child is screaming there is a problem, one way or another - and the only people that get dirty looks from me are those who let it continue on, and on, and on, while smiling or pretending it isn't happening.

AEfx

I completely agree. I don't like it when the parents do absolutely nothing about the problem. That drives me insane. :brick:

Children are going to be children. They are going to have fits when they don't get their way. My children do not get every toy that they want, so if you are in WDW in October, you may see my child acting up a little bit. But we work through it trying not to make a scene. What you won't see is me completely ignoring my child if he is having a meltdown b/c he didn't get his way. That is what bathrooms are for these days. Since people don't think we should be able to discipline our children and call the child welfare dept.

You know who I am talking about. I am a firm believer in discipline. My parents had no 2nd thoughts on lightin' up my hind end if I was acting up. I am extremely grateful for that as well. Now, I have the responsibility to raise my children to be respectful and polite to us and others. (That is not going to always be the case, but we are aiming for it). We will get there eventually.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom